• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Agreed, maybe I am a bit pissed off, cause I actually bought SpiderMan day one and with it the Season Pass, cause I loved what Insomniac and Sony were doing. So this situation is kinda getting on my nerve.

Otherwise I agree, I can say that Ghost of Tsushima is without a doubt my Game of the Year and one of my top 10 games, I can't argue with you on the quality or length, heck I actually also bought The Order 1886 and liked it despite being so short.

if you bought Spiderman day one on PS4, and wanted to play MM on day one at US launch, that'd be 797 days between those two releases. About 2 years and 2 months. Thats a *long* time for developers to be expected to be making major content updates available for free, isn't it?

If they offered an upgrade for $20 (the difference in price between the MM standard and MM Deluxe versions) do you think there would still be an outcry or would that be ok?

Praedyth

Feb 25, 2020
Brazil
I'm not buying the Ultimate Edition but I hope they have a standalone option for the remaster. The OG game is still fresh on my mind.

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
The thing is, this whole free upgrade thing is just an extra service. Which is extremely cool and welcome, I can't deny that, but it's still an extra. You can't expect everyone to actually do that nowadays. The amount of money it takes to upgrade every (recently released or not) game people bought for the next-gen generation of platforms is just insurmountable. Just because Microsoft can do it with their enormous war chest, doesn't mean that Sony can do that.

Spider-Man for PS4 also wasn't built for two different systems, it was only built for the PS4. Unlike what Microsoft is doing with Smart Delivery, which is more comparable with how PC games are created, just for two dedicated and closed systems. The Xbox One and Xbox Series X were built with that in mind. PS4 and PS5 weren't. Both have their own strategies.

CD Projekt Red's success with The Witcher 3 has also allowed them to do this.

But expecting everyone to actually offer such an upgrade for free is, as I've said to others before, pretty entitled.

I've also seen people compare it to GTAV, but GTAV is a GAAS game, Spider-Man is not. They have a vested interest in keeping that game up to date as much as possible, across as many platforms as possible. And Rockstar made BILLIONS with GTAV/Online, thanks to those Shark Cards.

So first people were mocking MS with #war chest memes, and now the war chest is being used as a legitimate defence as to why Sony cant do x,y,z?
Also, are you saying that Sony can't do what CDPR can, because they aren't as successful as CDPR?

Wise

Oct 27, 2017
I've seen you post this somewhere before, the exact same thing. But it makes no sense in this case. Heck, it didn't even make sense for, I believe it was the Demon's Souls, thread. Demon's Souls is an extensive remake, virtually from the ground up, that looks damn impressive and using the full power of the PS5.

I get your sentiment, but it's nothing to do with this situation.
What I never posted anything in the demons souls thread. I'm hyped for demons souls lol

Vash

Oct 28, 2017
100% comparable. In both cases, existing owners that bought the original game at launch (or even the GOTY version with all DLCs) aren't getting a free next gen patch. You have to pay for it.

Yep, maybe I'm crazy, but expecting people to pay for hard work seems like a normal thing to me. That others are willing to lose a ton of money just to give that free to player is gravy, but I don't see Sony jumping off a bridge if Microsoft decided to do just that.

CorpseLight

Nov 3, 2018
I don't know why people feel entitled to get the remaster for free just because they have the original game. I mean, they paid for the original game and got exactly that. I would understand asking for a discount, but how would Sony make money out of this if they gave the game for free to 13 million people?

If Nintendo gave free upgrades for Wii U games, I would have gotten half the Switch library for free lol

What Nintendo has been doing isnt right either, take for instance when they removed Pikmin 3 from the WiiU Eshop after announcing it for Switch. They only put it back up in the Eshop because of public outcry.

What Sony is doing here with Spiderman is going to set an extremely bad precedent going forward if this isn't addressed here and now, especially when their biggest competitor in Xbox, has been doing FREE reworked and uprezzed editions of some of their games that are over 10 years old; and thats not even bringing PC games into the equation.

I mean just look at this, Gears 2 came out in 2008!

Praedyth

Feb 25, 2020
Brazil
I don't think this is scummy, the OG game is from 2018 and doesn't look as near as good as MM (not saying the OG game is ugly, though). It's weird because 2 years is far from the time between OG game and remasters we grow used to... They are basically selling a PS5 game for $20 on top of MM. What I think it's scummy is not having the Remaster being sold separetely.

It's cool and nice when we get games that were released this year with a free next-gen upgrade but I surely don't think they are obligated to give a free remaster from a 2 years old game.

TaKeRx

Oct 25, 2017
Yep, maybe I'm crazy, but expecting people to pay for hard work seems like a normal thing to me. That others are willing to lose a ton of money just to give that free to player is gravy, but I don't see Sony jumping off a bridge if Microsoft decided to do just that.

It's more than just MS... CD, 2K with Borderlands, Bungie, Codemasters, etc...

unfashionable

Oct 29, 2017
I'm OK with this for $20. I mean spiderman 4 will play better on PS5 anyway just not with the modifications. $20 is fine to me for such a great game being enhanced and an excuse to replay the game (maxxed out spidey on ps4).

kpaadet

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Sounds like you're the type of person that wouldn't mind paying for every single patch that gets made, hard work goes into those as well.

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Well, I never purchased the DLC and have been meaning to play through them, so the extra $20 isn't a big deal.

I still don't like the idea of paying for these upgrades, so I'm naively hoping this isn't then orm.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
If I were to nitpick here just a bit, including Bungie in this isn't the best thing to do since Destiny 2 is a free to play game, so charging a patch for a free to play game wouldn't make sense.
Yeah people need to exclude GAAS games here. even games with multiplayer.
Well, I never purchased the DLC and have been meaning to play through them, so the extra $20 isn't a big deal.

I still don't like the idea of paying for these upgrades, so I'm naively hoping this isn't then orm.
sadly most companies are charging. PS3 to PS4 we had 10 dollar fee stuff. I mean I get it. free is an awesome gift, but expecting free nah.

Tortillo VI

May 27, 2018
But it is, Marvel Spiderman is different to Marvel Spiderman Remastered. Different SKU. The Gears one are the same SKU.
It´s Insomniac / Sony / Marvel choice that it´s a different SKU. It´s just the same game plus updates listed as a new game. There´s examples of games on Steam getting a completely different SKU for free for owners of the original game (e.g. Red Faction Guerrilla, Mafia 2, Witcher 2), at no extra cost of course.

So they are just bringing the PC version to Series X. Doesn't look like anywhere near the same level of added polish as Spider-Man is getting.
They are optimizing the game for new hardware, just like they are doing with Spiderman. Both use assets / improvements from a superior version. Gears, from the work done on the PC version, and Spiderman, from the work done on Miles Morales spin-off.

Worst thing is Sony is silent about how they'll "upgrade" TLOU2, GoT and other titles. Probably because it will be as ugly as what they are doing with this.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
At this point i wouldn´t be surprised if Miles Morales was originally a meaty DLC for the main game and they decided to make it a stand alone game and remaster the original Spider-Man to add "value" to the offer.

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
I'll happily buy the Ultimate Edition because I never bought Spider-Man on PS4.

But anyone who did buy Spider-Man on PS4 and buys Miles Morales should get a free upgrade to the Ultimate Edition on PS5. It gives people another reason to buy Miles Morales, and it's a great gesture (and great PR) at a time when Sony are trying to promote their new console.

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
All that does somewhat justify the extra cost. I guess for $20 its not so bad but damn do I wish it was a free upgrade smh

Oct 26, 2017
Mushroom Kingdom
lmao am I taking crazy pills or something. I don't get how we've had multiple generation of companies doing/remasters and mild upgrades and charging full price and suddenly its a thing to outrage about.

Yeah other devs/companies are doing basically good will launch upgrades, but to whine about other devs choosing not to do so is...weird. That puddling and entitlement is something else.

There is a simple don't buy it option because you already bought and paid for it. Hell youve already played the game lol.
/shrug

Either way its a whiny fart in the wind, because it will likely sell well just like every other big name remaster thats been thrown at us.

I wouldn't be mad to pay $20, but they need to released it as an standalone.

I'd be surprised at that price if standalone launch, but thats definitely the sale price i'd probably jump in.

Last edited:

Tawney Bomb

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I will likely grab the ultimate edition when a sale hits down the line and I feel like replaying before a proper sequel. The lack of a save carrying over is a bummer though. Just beat the game over the summer and it is not a small task to platinum it.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
The only one that it sounds like it Gears 5. I don't think any of the other XB1 to Series X ports are getting this level of upgrade.

Forza Horizon 4, Gears 5, Sea of Thieves, Grounded, Ori and the Will if tye Wisps, Minecraft, Tell me Why, I'm sure pretty much every MS game that's released on PC in the past year or two is a candidate for a XSX port.

That also doesn't count all the smart delivery games, that are getting very similar features, like Chorus, Yakuza 7, Assassins Creed Valhalla, Cyberpunk is getting a completely free next-gen upgrade over the XSX enhancements it will get at launch. Crossfire X, Gears Tactics, Doom Eternal, Call of the Sea, The Ascent, Destiny 2, Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines 2, Watch Dog Legion, Psychonauts 2, The Gunk, The Second Extinction, Far Cry 6.

Spiderman sounds like it might be going a bit further than some of these, but it doesn't sound like a lot further. This is where I think Microsoft's PC initiative and backcompat strategy really pays off.

kpaadet

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
So any game with DLC added to it is a GaaS? No, that is not how GaaS works.
Yes, it's the model to keep players playing the game after they beaten it and make money from existing consumers.
It's no surprise seeing people still not understanding that GaaS is a pretty old model and not some new lazy way of describing any Destiny like game they don't like.

Vash

Oct 28, 2017
So first people were mocking MS with #war chest memes, and now the war chest is being used as a legitimate defence as to why Sony cant do x,y,z?
Also, are you saying that Sony can't do what CDPR can, because they aren't as successful as CDPR?

I personally have never mocked Microsoft with that war chest meme, actually the first time I heard about it tbh. I'm not saying that Sony can't do it, but I don't think they see it as viable enough to invest in that. Also, there have been several times in recent years where I heard news about several divisions of Sony not doing so well, so yes, it's possible they're not willing to take that risk because of their funding. Not saying it is, but it's a possibility.

They also have accumulated plenty of user data since they started with the PlayStation brand, and adjust their business strategies accordingly.

There was a big outcry for Backwards Compatibility, and they finally listened to that. Took them long enough, to be honest (and I am still sad and disappointed that there's no PS1/PS2/PS3 BC), but it doesn't mean they have to upgrade every game on PS4 for free, just because others are doing it as well.

Sony isn't willing to invest that way, instead opting to fund new and upcoming games, utilizing the brand new functions of the PS5. Not massively upgrading their previously released games to a brand new eco-system, for free patches.

The thing is, free isn't free.

I've said it before, Microsoft is willing to lose money on labor for that whole free upgrade venture because they can.

CD Projekt Red loves to re-release and update one of their most successful games ever. Which is completely understandable, of course. Same as Bethesda and Skyrim. But ultimately, they will make their money back that way, because that's how they operate. Heck, The Witcher 3 came out in 2015, and because of them launching on other platforms, they made close to 40 million in profit just in 2019 alone thanks to that game.

With Sony, they release a game, support it with patches after the launch, let people enjoy it, maybe add an expansion or two, and go on to the next thing. They're not obligated to give you anything for free in that regard.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
That also doesn't count all the smart delivery games, that are getting very similar features, like Chorus, Yakuza 7, Assassins Creed Valhalla, Cyberpunk is getting a completely free next-gen upgrade over the XSX enhancements it will get at launch. Crossfire X, Gears Tactics, Doom Eternal, Call of the Sea, The Ascent, Destiny 2, Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines 2, Watch Dog Legions.

To be fair Sony is doing the same thing for MM and Horizon Forbidden West- PS4 purchases will be updated to PS5 for free.

I don't think there is much question that games that are near simultaneous releases for cross-gen will get free updates the vast majority of the time. That seems pretty standard across the industry right now.

The bigger question is how upgrades for games that are one plus years old are handled.

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
I personally have never mocked Microsoft with that war chest meme, actually the first time I heard about it tbh. I'm not saying that Sony can't do it, but I don't think they see it as viable enough to invest in that. Also, there have been several times in recent years where I heard news about several divisions of Sony not doing so well, so yes, it's possible they're not willing to take that risk because of their funding. Not saying it is, but it's a possibility.

They also have accumulated plenty of user data since they started with the PlayStation brand, and adjust their business strategies accordingly.

There was a big outcry for Backwards Compatibility, and they finally listened to that. Took them long enough, to be honest (and I am still sad and disappointed that there's no PS1/PS2/PS3 BC), but it doesn't mean they have to upgrade every game on PS4 for free, just because others are doing it as well.

Sony isn't willing to invest that way, instead opting to fund new and upcoming games, utilizing the brand new functions of the PS5. Not massively upgrading their previously released games to a brand new eco-system, for free patches.

The thing is, free isn't free.

I've said it before, Microsoft is willing to lose money on labor for that whole free upgrade venture because they can.

CD Projekt Red loves to re-release and update one of their most successful games ever. Which is completely understandable, of course. Same as Bethesda and Skyrim. But ultimately, they will make their money back that way, because that's how they operate. Heck, The Witcher 3 came out in 2015, and because of them launching on other platforms, they made close to 40 million in profit just in 2019 alone thanks to that game.

With Sony, they release a game, support it with patches after the launch, let people enjoy it, maybe add an expansion or two, and go on to the next thing. They're not obligated to give you anything for free in that regard.

I don't disagree with you.

KillingJoke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not sure if i have the patience to platinum the game. And unless the game is drastically different, I'm not paying for and updrade.

Vash

Oct 28, 2017
Sounds like you're the type of person that wouldn't mind paying for every single patch that gets made, hard work goes into those as well.

Don't assume to know what kind of person I am, it does not reflect well.

Patches to fix bugs, add some small upgrades and improvements, are part of game development. Reworking an entire game with Ray Tracing, meaning new lighting systems and models to accommodate for that, adding support for brand new functions for a controller, 3D Audio, for a new platform with a different eco-system, is something else entirely.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
So they are just bringing the PC version to Series X. Doesn't look like anywhere near the same level of added polish as Spider-Man is getting.
Huh? PC version doesn't have the global illumination, higher particle count, or contact shadows of the Series X version. And it's not like they can just drop PC settings into Series X. It still has to be developed and optimized.

ScubaSteve693

Banned
Mar 26, 2020
Yes, it's the model to keep players playing the game after they beaten it and make money from existing consumers.
If DLC was counted as a games as a service model, then EVERY game would be games as a service and the term Games as a service would essentially be non-existent. Spider-Man is not a games as a service, Destiny 2 is. Rainbow Six Siege is, Call of Duty is, League of Legends, Dota 2, the list goes on and on, but Spider-Man does not fit the criteria that those games do. Has there ever been a single player game be a Games as a Service? Not that I can recall, but you probably do need to educate yourself on what Games as a Service really is before jumping to conclusions to fit your narrative.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
It's no surprise seeing people still not understanding that GaaS is a pretty old model and not some new lazy way of describing any Destiny like game they don't like.

It's cool that Spider-Man got some free costume updates over time but the major post-release content was all out relatively quickly after launch, including all three DLC packs.

Spider-Man today isn't appreciably different than Spider-Man in Jan 2019.

That really isn't the case for something like AC: Odyssey. The content updates there spanned an entire year.

Has there ever been a single player game be a Games as a Service? Not that I can recall, but you probably do need to educate yourself on what Games as a Service really is before jumping to conclusions to fit your narrative.

Yes, that's a big part of what Ubi is working on. AC: Odyssey is designed as a single player GaaS and they had a year of post-launch content and updates coming out on a regular basis including daily and weekly quests, etc.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Don't assume to know what kind of person I am, it does not reflect well.

Patches to fix bugs, add some small upgrades and improvements, are part of game development. Reworking an entire game with Ray Tracing, meaning new lighting systems and models to accommodate for that, adding support for brand new functions for a controller, 3D Audio, for a new platform with a different eco-system, is something else entirely.
This person really has no idea what they are talking about. words really have lost meaning here.

Kaiken

Oct 25, 2017
This isn't a free upgrade for digital owners of the game? I'd even pay an upgrade fee if possible. I don't want to lose my save file.
Yeah, I don't understand why they just didn't go with an update path. Apparently it's a whole new sku/game that you are unable to use your save file for. I mean sure bundle the Ultimate for those that never played the first game but give us an update option for those that have it already and want to continue off our save file.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Forza Horizon 4, Gears 5, Sea of Thieves, Grounded, Ori and the Will if tye Wisps, Minecraft, Tell me Why, I'm sure pretty much every MS game that's released on PC in the past year or two is a candidate for a XSX port.

That also doesn't count all the smart delivery games, that are getting very similar features, like Chorus, Yakuza 7, Assassins Creed Valhalla, Cyberpunk is getting a completely free next-gen upgrade over the XSX enhancements it will get at launch. Crossfire X, Gears Tactics, Doom Eternal, Call of the Sea, The Ascent, Destiny 2, Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines 2, Watch Dog Legion, Psychonauts 2, The Gunk, The Second Extinction, Far Cry 6.

Spiderman sounds like it might be going a bit further than some of these, but it doesn't sound like a lot further. This is where I think Microsoft's PC initiative and backcompat strategy really pays off.
The other games have already been developed for higher-than-Xbox-One settings on the PC, so the engine work is there. Gears 5 is the only one I'm aware of that is getting upgrades that weren't in the PC version. Spider-Man Remastered is basically at the level of Gears 5 upgrades, except all the upgrades are being developed from scratch instead of ported from the PC versions.

And regarding your second paragraph, PS5 is basically getting the same multiplatform upgrades that Series X/S is. Even new PS4 Sony titles are getting free upgrades. The only difference we're talking about is patching past first-party games.