• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rydeen

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA.
I'm gonna go with the guy who has been working at the studio for almost a full decade.
I like Gunn, but he's not going to bite the hand that feeds him. Patty Jenkins (Who was originally supposed to direct Thor The Dark World) and Edgar Wright (Ant Man) have said similar things about the Marvel process.

Last edited:

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017

GOAT fight

Always loved this shot

Oupd1DG.jpg

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
I know Spidey pulls his punches, but I've never really understood why old nerd Octavius can tank so many of his hits, he's just a normal dude.

My one issue with Spider Man. Saw this in the most recent Miles Morales video game for PS5 and the main boss in that game being just a human.

Still love the doc ock fight in the movie though.

Nisaba

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
I hope Sam Raimi is allowed to bring his action/visual flair to Multiverse of Madness. I'd love to see Raimi go wild with all the things Strange can do.

I could still watch that Doc Ock fight and never be bored.

Machine Law

Oct 26, 2017
I know Spidey pulls his punches, but I've never really understood why old nerd Octavius can tank so many of his hits, he's just a normal dude.

I was going to say the same. Based on Spidey's feats that we have seen each of those punches should've broken every bone in Otto's face. Still a cool scene though, I love the original movies.

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Putting aside the "pulling punches" portion, it's established in the film that Peter has a lot of respect Otto's civilian identity; in some ways he's a second mentor to him and shows Peter what sort of life he can have i.e. a successful career as a science major in a loving relationship with his significant other. It's why he unmasks himself to Doc as a way of getting him to see reason instead of smearing him across the wall when he very easily could.

That aside, Parker is not bloodthirsty or sadistic and he knows his own strengths so of course he's not going to break Otto's back or anything even if he could.

Oct 25, 2017
i remember fights in the amazing spider-man movies looking really good too
There were some real solid effects handling in ASM, both practical and computer generated
Probably the most real spidey has ever felt in regards to physicality, including MCU
Good weighty stuff mixed with a lot of practical shooting, and great fast acrobatics that looked straight outta the comics
I miss ASM's treatment of spider-man himself as far as animation & physicality, MCU spidey tends to look very artificial the majority of the time and doesnt really have a lot of good swinging in general
As far as I'm concerned ASM depicted his web slinging acrobatics & creativity flawlessly

youtu.be

Spider-Man All Swinging Scenes - The Amazing Spider-Man 2012-2014 (Clips HD)

Spiderman - All Swinging Scenes (Compilation) - The Amazing Spider-Man 1 & 2 (2012 - 2014) Andrew Garfield Movie HD [1080p]Every single swinging scene by Spi...

youtu.be

The Amazing Spider-Man - School Fight!

The Amazing Spider-ManProduced by Marvel Entertainment, Laura Ziskin Productions, Arad Productions, Inc., and Matt Tolmach productionsDistributed by Columbia...

Last edited:

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
I like Gunn, but he's not going to bite the hand that feeds him. Patty Jenkins (Who was originally supposed to direct Thor The Dark World) and Edgar Wright (Ant Man) have said similar things about the Marvel process.
Those are poor examples because those were both made when Perlmutter was in charge.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
not only is the trailer trending at #1, but there are a ton of videos also trending with reactions and breakdowns.

I really love seeing this.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
I doubt that director was lying, they just have two different experiences.

I've always taken this controversy as a case of both sides being right from their own points of view. Lucretia Martel (who stirred up the controversy with her exit) is correct in that she does not have the ability to craft the movie 100% by herself. James Gunn meanwhile is correct in that directors are to varying degrees involved in the pre-vis process and they are ultimately responsible in translating said pre-vis material into something that actually works for the movie.

What is misinformation is the continually-proposed idea that Marvel Studios ghost-writes and ghost-directs huge chunks of these movies (if not entire movies outright) and that the actual directors are essentially bodies meant to operate cameras and keep actors corralled.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
I guess Strange must head off to try and fix the Multiverse and leave Peter to deal with what's going on in NYC.

The Spidey villains would be nothing for Strange otherwise if he was around.

OP
OP
ZeoVGM

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
not only is the trailer trending at #1, but there are a ton of videos also trending with reactions and breakdowns.

I really love seeing this.

It's easy to forget how huge Spider-Man is in the age of Avengers films making $2b and $3b. But damn, Spider-Man is huge.

Like I said earlier, I think this would be a $1.5b box office if not for COVID. Such a shame it's not going to be able to reach the levels it would have otherwise.

Oct 27, 2017
It's easy to forget how huge Spider-Man is in the age of Avengers films making $2b and $3b. But damn, Spider-Man is huge.

Like I said earlier, I think this would be a $1.5b box office if not for COVID. Such a shame it's not going to be able to reach the levels it would have otherwise.

Spider-man is popular, but I don't remember the first 2 films having this crazy amount of hype. I think the inclusion of Tobey, Andrew, and general multiverse fukkery has boosted the buzz a bit.

Castamere

Oct 26, 2017
I guess Strange must head off to try and fix the Multiverse and leave Peter to deal with what's going on in NYC.

The Spidey villains would be nothing for Strange otherwise if he was around.

I mean, Electro can control electricity. The others are just crazy dudes with gadgets, but Electricity is pretty op.

Sandman would be op too, if they weren't on an island, like he should probably move.

Keywork

Oct 25, 2017
Putting aside the "pulling punches" portion, it's established in the film that Peter has a lot of respect Otto's civilian identity; in some ways he's a second mentor to him and shows Peter what sort of life he can have i.e. a successful career as a science major in a loving relationship with his significant other. It's why he unmasks himself to Doc as a way of getting him to see reason instead of smearing him across the wall when he very easily could.

That aside, Parker is not bloodthirsty or sadistic and he knows his own strengths so of course he's not going to break Otto's back or anything even if he could.

I felt like they also carried that over to Insomniac's game. The second half of the final battle was such a "I don't want to do this, but I have to" feeling evoked very well.

Yes, it is great they brought back Molina to play Doc, but for him to come through the multiverse and have no connection to the MCU Spidey feels like they are throwing away one of his greatest rogues simply to generate buzz for the film. It's the same thing with Dafoe. I worry we will never see Holland's Spider-Man fight those enemies again. Even if they survive and establish an MCU Sinister Six won't they just be fighting the image of "Spider-Man" and not have a personal history with MCU Spidey that is so important to their development?

TheKeyPit

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Just want to say that it isn't Charlie in the trailer. The way the documents are slammed onto the table tells me it isn't him. I'm not even looking at the silhouette.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean Strange can probably just cast a spell and make all the electricity and sand disappear or some shit.

He's not omnipotent. Even when he was fighting Thanos he relied on like, his spells physically hitting him, and that's gonna be a problem with enemies that can become intangible.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
I doubt that director was lying, they just have two different experiences.

Just to be clear, the director never said that Marvel didn't allow her to direct the action scenes. The exact line as quoted by Martel was "don't worry about the action scenes, we will take care of that" and then she mentions that she thought that she'd like to do the action scenes. Not that she asked to and they said no.

www.dailypioneer.com

Was offered 'Black Widow' film by Marvel Studios, says Lucrecia Martel

Argentinian filmmaker Lucrecia Martel on Tuesday revealed that Marvel Studios had invited her for a meeting regarding "Black Widow" solo film as they were looking for a female director who could "mainly concentrate on Scarlett Johansson's character". The director, best known for her films such as

Martel also said this:

The first thing I asked them was maybe if they could change the special effects because there's so many laser lights... I find them horrible.

I think it is not unreasonable to suggest letting someone else handle the action scenes to a director whose first question is "can we change the effects because I don't like laser lights".

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Yes, it is great they brought back Molina to play Doc, but for him to come through the multiverse and have no connection to the MCU Spidey feels like they are throwing away one of his greatest rogues simply to generate buzz for the film. It's the same thing with Dafoe. I worry we will never see Holland's Spider-Man fight those enemies again. Even if they survive and establish an MCU Sinister Six won't they just be fighting the image of "Spider-Man" and not have a personal history with MCU Spidey that is so important to their development?
I mean, even if I agree, in the end it's a movie, not a comic series. At this point we can be happy for literally any MCU villain who gets more than one shot overall. In comics, it's no problem letting a character rest for a few hundred issues only for him to come back in full force, in actual movies with actual actors this is probably much much more difficult, especially given the amount of potential stories and arcs the MCU (or even the Spider-Man movies alone) want to tell.

That said, I'd have NO issues with literally anyone from Spidey's gallery staying for a while, be it Mysterio, Vulture or "the old guard" from the other universes.

Shaoran Hyku

Aug 6, 2020
I would like them to make a Spiderman D+ series to flesh out his local hero status and give him personal stories.
All the MCU Spiderman movies are so... big, and we only got like 2 or 3 scenes of him being friendly neighborhood.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Hype for this is truly something else, no wonder tho. This might be the crossover fanservice movie.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019

That was during the time when Ike Perlmutter ran things so that's not exactly the most reliable comparison anymore.

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
The setup for this is pretty weak tbh.

It doesn't feel in line with Strange's character to do something like this. I've seen people say that he's reckless as proven by his solo film, but...he grew past the worst of that before the credits even rolled. And in his last five years of appearances he's always been much more logical and disciplined. But even if you accept that he'd do this -- he never even bothered to warn Peter that it would affect EVERYONE with zero exceptions? That's just sloppy as hell.

Anyway, as a Raimi stan I obviously loved seeing Doc Ock and the pumpkin bomb. I'm very curious how they're going to manage all of the motivations for these characters, though. I mean shouldn't Otto just be off looking for Tritium again? Hopefully there's going to be enough time to address things like that and show the villains confusion/amazement at the situation they're in as well. Couldn't give two shits about Garfield's villains so I wouldn't be fussed if they get the shaft on runtime lol. And as others have mentioned -- I hope they find a way to give them a good dynamic with Tom's Spidey as well.

I think all of this is doable. Into the Spider-Verse had a massive cast and still pulled it off in under 2 hours. This will undoubtedly be longer, and there's fewer personal dynamics that need to be established here.

Wayfaerer

Oct 26, 2017
The hype is already through the roof with this trailer but I can't wait to see the reactions to the second trailer where they'll presumably show Tobey and Andrew and fully reveal the Sinister Six.

BoredLemon

Nov 11, 2017
Do you have a link you could share to the whole thing? Looks higher quality than Apple Trailers
It's a 4 gig file meant for digital cinemas, it is probably of higher quality that Apple Trailers. I could upload it to gdrive if you want it, but I'm not really sure you do since:
1. It's in a very specific format, with audio/video in separate files. My laptop can't even decode the video in realtime.
2. It's not an English version.

The Masked Mufti

The Wise Ones
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
There were some real solid effects handling in ASM, both practical and computer generated
Probably the most real spidey has ever felt in regards to physicality, including MCU
Good weighty stuff mixed with a lot of practical shooting, and great fast acrobatics that looked straight outta the comics
I miss ASM's treatment of spider-man himself as far as animation & physicality, MCU spidey tends to look very artificial the majority of the time and doesnt really have a lot of good swinging in general
As far as I'm concerned ASM depicted his web slinging acrobatics & creativity flawlessly

youtu.be

Spider-Man All Swinging Scenes - The Amazing Spider-Man 2012-2014 (Clips HD)

Spiderman - All Swinging Scenes (Compilation) - The Amazing Spider-Man 1 & 2 (2012 - 2014) Andrew Garfield Movie HD [1080p]Every single swinging scene by Spi...

youtu.be

The Amazing Spider-Man - School Fight!

The Amazing Spider-ManProduced by Marvel Entertainment, Laura Ziskin Productions, Arad Productions, Inc., and Matt Tolmach productionsDistributed by Columbia...
The fight against the Lizard in the school was something else in terms of how Spidey moved.

Bruh, you NEEED to get on that.

You certainly would've never had that take if you had. Movie is so goddamn excellent that it's comical. It's an absurdly good movie.

Stop posting and go watch it now.

I look forward to the LTTP thread.

It's the best Spider-Man movie imo, and there's like seven Spideys and six villains in it. That movie is proof that it's possible to juggle a large number of characters while still telling a great story with lots of heart. Hopefully they took notes from that movie on how to pull it off successfully.

Liv would be disappointed that you havent.

I need to write an LTTP

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Stop trying to be a smart ass by repeating "theories" you saw on Reddit leak threads you absolute melts

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Been a while since I've played it but wasn't that due to the plot shifting to Mr Negative and then suddenly back to Doc Ock at the end, making that whole segment feel a little disjointed.

Ock as a character was fantastic and even his moments were but fighting him felt like too soon and something saved for a sequel, it was basically like any other fight. Dodge - grab object and throw it at him and apply the rule of 3.