• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I'm halfway through rm. Gimme this thing.

Ratchet is going to look really good. Insomniac has always been technically proficient but they keep getting better.

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
This is wonderful news! It's exactly what I was hoping for as I absolutely don't need 4K (only have a 1080p TV) and wanted the ray-traced reflections as they looked stunning, and 60 FPS would've been a wonderful addition. Now it's all there. Awesome!

Now... if only I knew when I'll get a PS5, lmao.

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just started Mile Morales last night after finishing Spiderman Remastered. I'll stay on Performance because of less pedestrian density on Perfomrance RT, but that's pretty cool that we have options.

bes.gen

Nov 24, 2017
Does 30fps gain any benefits?
its noticibly much cleaner and sharper image especially while moving, probably has better rt effects as well, less popin, denser crowds and traffic etc.
but non of those benefits measure up to framerate difference i think. the game simply plays different at 60 and looks much better than old performance mode too.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
its noticibly much cleaner and sharper image especially while moving, probably has better rt effects as well, less popin, denser crowds and traffic etc.
but non of those benefits measure up to framerate difference i think. the game simply plays different at 60 and looks much better than old performance mode too.
60FPS makes all the difference in this game. It just feels so much more enjoyable to play, swinging and fighting feels great. I only finished main story on og PS4 version, but now on PS5 with Remaster I have 100% completion.

bes.gen

Nov 24, 2017
60FPS makes all the difference in this game. It just feels so much more enjoyable to play, swinging and fighting feels great. I only finished main story on og PS4 version, but now on PS5 with Remaster I have 100% completion.

yeah i agree, just wanna see if this new mode drops from 60 with a df video or so, didn't stress tested it much myself.

Raonak

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Cool, good to hear it got upgrades too.

I tried some 60fps mode, but Im perfectly fine playing the game in 30fps mode, I like the extra bells and whistles.

shotopunx

Nov 21, 2017
Dublin, Ireland
I turned on performance rt yesterday and got a super hard, terrifying crash on my PS5. Console froze and turned itself off, wouldn't turn on for awhile.

I'm going to stay away from it now.

VanDoughnut

Oct 30, 2017
Gonna disagree with all the Fidelity hate, they're all good options.

After trying performance/rtx, Fidelity is still the one I like the most. I guess I just prefer the sharper image and feel I was missing the loss in detail the most when switching between all of them. But everyone is different. I also feel like combat in 30fps still feels great.

Needed a second to adjust though after going from 60 and then back to 30 lol but after a sec I adjusted. Still might do my new game plus run with performance/rtx though now that it's here.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
I turned on performance rt yesterday and got a super hard, terrifying crash on my PS5. Console froze and turned itself off, wouldn't turn on for awhile.

I'm going to stay away from it now.
Same here. Hopefully it's something that can be ironed out, it's the only thing that's ever made my console crash like that.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I did a short clip yesterday right after the game patch, it's not well edited to compare clearly, but I am doing 4 PERF RT/PERF permutations in a closed environment with reflective surfaces everywhere - starting with PERF RT on.

Miles Morales spoilers : empty end-game indoor locations, quest name, side-quest outfit, one dialog line with NPC named

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
Gonna disagree with all the Fidelity hate, they're all good options.

After trying performance/rtx, Fidelity is still the one I like the most. I guess I just prefer the sharper image and feel I was missing the loss in detail the most when switching between all of them. But everyone is different. I also feel like combat in 30fps still feels great.

Needed a second to adjust though after going from 60 and then back to 30 lol but after a sec I adjusted. Still might do my new game plus run with performance/rtx though now that it's here.

Fidelity mode is great. The Spider-Man games do not need 60 FPS at all to feel smooth, and the eye candy is welcomed. That said, Performance RT hits a nice balance. Performance is the mode that I have no use for now, not Fidelity.

Beary Jams

Nov 5, 2017
Portland, OR
Oh sure after I beat the game twice this update drops. Nah but for real good job Insomniac. Stuff like this is why they're probably my favorite dev right now.

dstarMDA

Dec 22, 2017
Tried it last night and I don't know what I would choose between Perf and Perf RT if I was starting the game up today. Reflections are really great (especially compared to some of the embarrassing god-awful cubemaps that you encounter in Perf) but the game is definitely less sharp and detailed. It kinda looks more like a PS4 game with RT (and a better CPU allowing for 60fps at this lower res).

Great achievement nonetheless, bringing much hope for the future next-gen games.

JamboGT

Vehicle Handling Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Spent a few hours with this last night, really like this mode think it will be my go to from here on.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really hope the serious issues some PS5´s are having especially with MM are not a sign about the hardware having an actual structural problem with handling RT
I don't think hard system crashes are RT exclusive as I had my only crash so far while playing SM Remastered with 60FPS mode. Although it could still mean hardware problems just not with RT specifically.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
I really hope the serious issues some PS5´s are having especially with MM are not a sign about the hardware having an actual structural problem with handling RT
If that were the case we'd probably be seeing more reports about those kind of issues in other games with heavy uses of RT like Watch Dogs Legion and Observer. Obv Miles Morales probably sold better than those and so we'd see more reports from it, but I don't think I've seen a single report of one of those hard crashes from other RT games?

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
If that were the case we'd probably be seeing more reports about those kind of issues in other games with heavy uses of RT like Watch Dogs Legion and Observer. Obv Miles Morales probably sold better than those and so we'd see more reports from it, but I don't think I've seen a single report of one of those hard crashes from other RT games?

Yeah thats probably right.
I guess it makes sense that technically demanding games like MM are crashing systems that did bad in the hardware lottery. The latter seems to be more the problem than a structural problem with the Console itself.

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
I played one of the later missions last night when you're inside Roxxon. It's really good. There's something missing in performance mode, the world feels a bit lifeless. Performance RT fixes that. I'm in awe.

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
Tried it last night and I don't know what I would choose between Perf and Perf RT if I was starting the game up today. Reflections are really great (especially compared to some of the embarrassing god-awful cubemaps that you encounter in Perf) but the game is definitely less sharp and detailed. It kinda looks more like a PS4 game with RT (and a better CPU allowing for 60fps at this lower res).

Great achievement nonetheless, bringing much hope for the future next-gen games.

I feel the same, and ended up switching back to Performance mode to start my NG+ run.

Calvin

Oct 26, 2017
I feel the same, and ended up switching back to Performance mode to start my NG+ run.
Guys is there something wrong with my ability to see this stuff? I am super confused because I turned on performance+RT and could immediately see the superior reflections, but only barely noticed some shimmering and other issues. Saw fewer pedestrians etc. It definitely is different, but you all are saying its noticably less clear, looks worse, etc. and for the life of me I cant see it.

I have a 65' C9 OLED so pretty top of the line TV. I do wear glasses because I have an eye condition, but I watch regular TV without them no problem. I can usually see the difference between 1440p and 4k, and absolutely 1080p and anything. I do sit relatively far back - maybe 9 feet? Farther than I want.

I just don't know which mode to continue on because I do like the pedestrian density and it does seem like the graphics are slightly better in performance, but I really can't see much?

Tell me what to look for people, I feel crazy!

(most likely solution is just finish this playthrough on Perf, go to perf+RT for NG+. About 65% complete now).

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
Guys is there something wrong with my ability to see this stuff? I am super confused because I turned on performance+RT and could immediately see the superior reflections, but only barely noticed some shimmering and other issues. Saw fewer pedestrians etc. It definitely is different, but you all are saying its noticably less clear, looks worse, etc. and for the life of me I cant see it.

I have a 65' C9 OLED so pretty top of the line TV. I do wear glasses because I have an eye condition, but I watch regular TV without them no problem. I can usually see the difference between 1440p and 4k, and absolutely 1080p and anything. I do sit relatively far back - maybe 9 feet? Farther than I want.

I just don't know which mode to continue on because I do like the pedestrian density and it does seem like the graphics are slightly better in performance, but I really can't see much?

(most likely solution is just finish this playthrough on Perf, go to perf+RT for NG+. About 65% complete now).

I have a 65" Sony X900H and noticed fuzzier buildings, which bothered me as I was swinging around the city. The additional RT wasn't worth the loss in texture for me. Honestly, I didn't notice the RT but probably because I was zipping around instead of indoor environments.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
I don't think hard system crashes are RT exclusive as I had my only crash so far while playing SM Remastered with 60FPS mode. Although it could still mean hardware problems just not with RT specifically.

Well, people reported COD Cold War crashes till they turned off ray tracing...and people reported having problems with ray tracing enabled games in general.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah I also have a 65" TV, playing the campaign in fidelity and the new mode looks to have basically perfect IQ to me.

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
3ixGeWf.jpg
Lol

Indy_Rex

Banned
Sep 20, 2020
I think performance RT mode is the definitive way to play if you're doing it for the first time. That said, the resolution drop and sacrifices made to get a "sweet spot" for both is noticeable if you played it in fidelity mode first. I like it, but I went back to fidelity b/c the IQ bump and other effects are noticeable. Framerate's a plus, but I'm fine with 30.