• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
I love this speed but quick resume also benefits you by allowing you to resume the game wherever you are, and not needing a save point. Still hoping ps5 does it

I assume that quick resume as it works on the PS4 could still work the same on PS5 without taking up additional SSD space. Now MS's implementation of quick resume for multiple titles takes up a decent chunk of the drive, so I'd rather Sony not take that approach because the SSD isn't that large to begin with.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
I have not tried any yet... waiting for the new build to be complete, however:

www.techquila.co.in

Watch Dogs Legion PC Performance Review - RTX 2060 Super Delivers the Next-Gen Console Experience (and More)

Watch Dogs Legion is the first open-world Ubisoft title to support ray tracing, so what do you need to do to achieve good performance? Well, even a baseline RTX 2060 can potentially outperform the next-gen consoles.

Looks like WDL , despite having poor performance, has good loading
The load times I'd want to see is from the main menu with open world games. Those are the chunky ones, even in WD2 it was pretty fast after everything was already loaded into memory, but the boot up from the main menu was the slow one. Here's a NVMe SSD, SATA SSDs, and a HDD comparison. NVMe isn't that much quicker than the SATA SSDs going by comparisons in other games as well with how NVMe get's utilized in game load times on PC currently. It's almost a waste to get NVMe drives on PC for gaming with how little it matters in the PC games right now, it's good for transferring games from different NVMe drives though.

Last edited:

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
I love this speed but quick resume also benefits you by allowing you to resume the game wherever you are, and not needing a save point. Still hoping ps5 does it

Meh, if the PS5 needs to stay "suspended" for quick resume (which seems to be the case), i'd rather not use it this time around.
Also, i'd rather not have the OS block like 50gigs of the SSD just to keep a game i played 2 weeks ago hibernated 🤷‍♂️

Meanwhile, fast loading times + activity cards feel like an even better solution, especially in online games.
Like, imagine Destiny having a card for each of your characters - allowing you to skip the initial load + the character selection screen altogether.

Of course, in a perfect world we'd have both features on both consoles.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
This gen is gonna be so much better with SSDs. I make controversial statements.

jpbonadio

Nov 8, 2017
That's fucking fast. And it's not even just a simple menu, it has Miles rendered at the back.

We won't even have time to acomodate on the sofa.

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
200.gif
😂

Yu Narukami

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
I'm currently playing Days Gone and the loading times are horrendous. This looks amazing.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah its really not needed, typical game save can pretty much do most of it, however the game Resume can hold your position in space While in the game. Curious to see more however how this all works.
I have an idea that wouldn't be quite as robust a solution as Xbox's because it would rely on the devs, but I'm thinking for at least Sony games, they could create a one time use save file upon exiting the game. Then, you could either boot the game and load that file from the menu, or, since it's a save, maybe it could be loaded directly from the home screen. This would put you exactly where you stopped when you load in, matching the functionality (and speed) of the Xbox implementation.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
What do you mean by "resume"? From the look of it the game was not in memory because the button is Play not Resume. Whatever the language and video quality it seems both spider-man and Drift have the same word so I assume it's "Play" because unlikely both are "Resume". Now regarding the logos I don't know maybe they're skippable and the player just skipped them immediately

By "resume" I mean it's not the first time he's played the game in general. When he loads his save file, he's not loading from a New Game, but a game he's already started. The game would have loaded into the opening cutscenes/moments if it was a fresh start of the game itself.

I wasn't referring to "resume" as in, "quick resume." The game started from a cold boot (ie, the application was closed, and he opened the application to start it). My theory was that the game recognized that this wasn't a "first time player," so it didn't play the studio logos/health warnings we usually get, and just immediately took him to the Main Menu screen, where he was able to load his save game. I think that'd be a great way to compromise on displaying logos/warnings for returning players.

It's basically

First time player: Boot game > logos/warnings > Main Menu

No longer first time player: Boot game > Main Menu

Or, it could just be that for this particular game, it doesn't have those logos/warnings at all.

During the UI video, Destruction All Stars did have the Sony Computer Entertainment Presents screen, for example. It may be something that's omitted on a game by game basis.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
I feel like I am going to be playing with cartridges again with how fast that is loading! Love it!

secretanchitman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Whoa that is incredibly quick!

I wasn't sold on the PS5 at launch but with today's inclusion of the Spider-Verse suit and animation plus this load time and the Dualsense impressions? Damn!

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Niiiiiiiiiiiice. Experiencing console gaming with almost no loading times is a going to be mindblowing

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
I have an idea that wouldn't be quite as robust a solution as Xbox's because it would rely on the devs, but I'm thinking for at least Sony games, they could create a one time use save file upon exiting the game. Then, you could either boot the game and load that file from the menu, or, since it's a save, maybe it could be loaded directly from the home screen. This would put you exactly where you stopped when you load in, matching the functionality (and speed) of the Xbox implementation.
Yeah If I were directing devs I prob would ask them to see if they can have something similar to a save state but it just has all the parameters at that would be needed to put someone in the exact moment and time for that particular Game, obviously it wouldnt work if you attempted it while in a multipplayer match which I'm curious how the game resumes handle an instance like that.

FinKL

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That's with the game in the background right?! Like when Xbox is restoring a game from instant on?

jdmc13

Mar 14, 2019
The static loading screen image doesn't even have time to finish the display animation.

Egida

Oct 27, 2017
I just want to see Ghost of Tsushima fast travel, probably makes times go backwards lol.

Also at this point, why don't just give us an option to boot the game straight into the current or more recent savegame?

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I wouldn't expect the old ps4 version to load that fast. There's a reason why this is considered a different game.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
These fast loading times are one of the most exciting features I'm looking forward too.

Bruh, I wanna take the ultimate test.

5f67937f149f69424a3d4702e71a3334.jpg

I'm trying to see how long those Tekken 7 loading screens last lol. Yeah it won't be speed but anything, even half a second, better is worth it.

jokkir

Oct 25, 2017
How does it compared to XSX? Legit question cause I'm deciding which preorder to keep

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
Just absurd, at this rate a Tsushima sequel will load before you even press the button

Oct 27, 2017
"I have had an SSD in my PC for years, there is nothing special about these new console SSDs" blah blah blah

People not understanding that having Windows in the background + games not optimized for SSD's both have an impact lol.

PS5 must have such a low level API with a lightweight OS that the performance improvements over PC are staggering (not even talking about the fact that the SSD itself is an absolute beast, prob 2 to 3 times faster than most SSD's people have in their machine).

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
Holycrap that speed. Why can't PCs do this?

People can correct me if I'm wrong but there should be three main reasons:
  • PC games have to account for multiple types of hard-drives most of the time (which is why you don't even see a loading screen, why put one when you know it's gonna be fast?). They are also launching out of Windows 10 (most of the time), a general purpose computer instead of a machine made for games.
  • The PS5 SSD is REALLY fast. Even without the custom solutions it is still a NVMe, which is absurd when compared to a SATA.
  • Insomniac Games have obviously made spiderman with the objective of being a SSD showcase. They were already doing that before the PS5 even got revealed. This is especially amazing because we haven't had any other big games focus much effort on that aspect.

I really believe that you can do similar stuff with any other console with a fast NVMe (and we'll probably see stuff like this in the future on PCs). Maybe not as fast but when you are comparing 2 seconds to 4 seconds it really isn't that much of a difference.
Don't misinterpret my words, this is absolutely amazing. My point is that the "amazing" feeling will fade away as we see it more and more and will become the norm (just like when SSDs started becoming the norm and the transition to HDD to SSD was mind-blowing for people).

Last edited:

oRuin

Oct 25, 2017
Let me get this straight.
I don't even have time to pick up my phone to browse?
Crazy.

Footos22

Oct 25, 2017
That is black magic.

Holy shit
Quick resume on Xbox is like 10 seconds for most games, this cold boots faster.
Is mental

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah If I were directing devs I prob would ask them to see if they can have something similar to a save state but it just has all the parameters at that would be needed to put someone in the exact moment and time for that particular Game, obviously it wouldnt work if you attempted it while in a multipplayer match which I'm curious how the game resumes handle an instance like that.
Yeah I have to assume quick resumes into multiplayer are just not part of the deal on either console.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
How does it compared to XSX? Legit question cause I'm deciding which preorder to keep

I mean zero disrespect with this, but it'd be a hard comparison because Miles isn't an Xbox game.

I do expect it to be faster than any "equivalents," at least from a cold boot, but 1:1 comparisons are apples/oranges when dealing with exclusives.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017