• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 59955

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 14, 2019
www.videogameschronicle.com

Spider-Man Miles Morales is an ‘expansion and enhancement to the original’, Sony clarifies | VGC

Update: Insomniac Games says Spider-Man: Miles Morales is a “standalone game”…

"Speaking to The Telegraph, Sony Interactive Entertainment's EVP head of European Business, Simon Rutter said that Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales would include "major enhancements" to the 2018 PS4 game.

"I guess you could call it an expansion and an enhancement to the previous game," he said.

"There's a substantial Miles Morales component – which is the expansion element – but also within the game as well there's been major enhancements to the game and the game engine, obviously deploying some of the major PlayStation 5 technology and features."

Asked whether such familiarity was an important part of transitioning an installed user base from old machines to the new, Rutter said:

"I think what is very interesting for everyone to see is how familiar games might be to some degree changed through the workings of PlayStation 5."

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
welp hahahaha

I was thinking it might just be some short side story thing, it doesn't even sound like it's that.

cmdrshepard

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Not surprising at all. WIll be interesting to see more later as to what has changed. Will be surprised if this is more than a $30 expansion to the original.

Disappointing that Sony made this ambigous as fuck in the initial trailer. I had so many people in my friends group amped for a new spidey game so soon after the recent release on the new hardware and this will defalte that hype for them i am sure.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
They are reselling Spider-Man and adding some content to justify the price?

Oct 25, 2017
Like I said in the previous thread, definitely looks like the ps4 engine, but better.

Not the true sequel in terms of graphics just yet.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
This just sounds like a standalone new story but with maybe revised side activities in what's basically the same New York from the first game.

So exactly what people were expecting?

Or are they saying this game IS the original PS4 game with an added Miles campaign. Actually this is a confusing statement.

Oct 25, 2017
湘南
I'm so confused by the wording of this.

"I guess you can call it [insert whatever]"

It either is or it isn't lol. What a dumb way to pitch your game.

shancake

Managing Editor ‑ Press Start
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Am I crazy or does it not say "remaster" anywhere in the quotes. Sounds like he's just talking in reference to the last game? "I guess you could call it an expansion and an enhancement to the previous game".

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
I hope we can buy it separately like Infamous First Light but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Edit: the original story doesn't quite say it's a remaster

Although at least one of those titles isn't quite what it may have seemed. Show opener Spider-Man Miles Morales looked like an entirely new follow up to 2018's excellent PS4 exclusive Marvel's Spider-Man starring the new, titular protagonist. However Rutter clarified it's actually more akin to an expansion bolted on to an upgraded version of the original title.
"I guess you could call it an expansion and an enhancement to the previous game," he explained. "There's a substantial Miles Morales component - which is the expansion element - but also within the game as well there's been major enhancements to the game and the game engine, obviously deploying some of the major PlayStation 5 technology and features."
"I think what is very interesting for everyone to see is how familiar games might be to some degree changed through the workings of PlayStation 5," explains Rutter when asked whether such familiarity is actually an important part of transitioning an installed user base from old machines to the new.

Maybe what he's talking about is the boost mode features or something? IDK

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
The actual text makes it sound like they mean the game is an expansion to the base game, and the engine it runs on is an enhanced version of that game's engine meant to take advantage of the PS5's hardware. Maybe I'm reading it wrong but that's what I'm getting.

Aniki

Oct 25, 2017
If it's not a standalone expansion do you have to play through the original game again to get to the Miles parts. I would hope not.

cmdrshepard

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Am I crazy or does it not say "remaster" anywhere in the quotes. Sounds like he's just talking in reference to the last game? "I guess you could call it an expansion and an enhancement to the previous game".
I mean your right - it doesn't mention "remaster" anywhere. But you have t imagine the enhancements are also going to be graphical in nature and are going to take advanatge of the new hardware, essentially making it a remaster no?

Deleted member 46804

Banned
Aug 17, 2018
Sounds like Lost Legacy, meaning a stand alone thing with Spider-Man not being remastered for PS5. I bet they patch Spider-Man to take advantage of the improvements here. The bigger question is if this ends up on PS4.

Lampa

Feb 13, 2018
So it's a standalone expansion with PS5 enhancements? That's.. interesting... I expected a brand new game, a sequel perhaps.

Deleted member 8688

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The actual text makes it sound like they mean the game is an expansion to the base game, and the engine it runs on is an enhanced version of that game's engine meant to take advantage of the PS5's hardware. Maybe I'm reading it wrong but that's what I'm getting.

No I think you're one of the few people who read it right.

Deleted member 5491

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure we will see more of those kinda announcements in the future.
Announce it as a new game, as a sequel, but in the end it is "just" the known and already released main-game with an expansion on top of it.
Blizzard did the same with Overwatch 2. But at least this explains why they could pump out "another" Spider-Man in just 2 years, while also
working on Ratchet & Clank

Spinky

Oct 25, 2017
London
If you expected a full-blown sequel this soon you are absolutely mad. My first thought was an Uncharted: Lost Legacy kinda thing.

upinsmoke

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I mean your right - it doesn't mention "remaster" anywhere. But you have t imagine the enhancements are also going to be graphical in nature and are going to take advanatge of the new hardware, essentially making it a remaster no?
No a remaster would be a game identical to Spiderman in content..this isn't that.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
Seems like the word "remaster" comes from VG Chronicle and not Sony.

Sony themselves have called it an expansion, so I'd expect something like Lost Legacy.

Musouka

Dec 31, 2017
They played us like a damn fiddle.

At least Rockstar was upfront with GTA V.

Well, hope this practice won't continue into the future (that is: not being fully transparent during the reveal). To their credit, they did clarify that pretty quickly.

Edit: not sure the source actually says "remaster". It seems like an expansion built using the technology from the original game. That is to say they are using and improving the engine and mechanics to build a brand new story.

Dunno, the wording is confusing.

Last edited:

Hagi

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully it's just a stand alone expansion ala Lost Legacy and the main game gets a bump as well.

Oct 27, 2017
So similar to infamous first light; a standalone expansion that came with game engine optimizations only, in this case, those optimizations are unique to the PS5.

s0l0kill

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, if this doesn't release on the PS4 as well it's a huge middle finger for Sony's customers.

Status
Not open for further replies.