• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I will literally never understand how people can still say, "I hope it looks this good!" When we literally had a 7 minute demo of the game a few months back, where the game, while obviously not looking 100% like Photomode shots, looked fucking phenomenal.

I mean, if this was the first time we were ever seeing the game, I'd understand, but we've actually seen it being played, now on two separate occasions, and it's looking fantastic. And that demo we saw a few months back was probably an older build, and more polish and refinement will have been put into the game as it approached release.

At this point in gaming history, we have PC's and consoles that can produce incredible visuals, coupled with stupidly talented artists and designers. The PS5 and Xbox Series X are impressive pieces of technology. The games are going to look good, guys. Especially the ones coming from developers that have the time, budget, and talent to truly make them shine. Insomniac is one of those developers.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
I will literally never understand how people can still say, "I hope it looks this good!" When we literally had a 7 minute demo of the game a few months back, where the game, while obviously not looking 100% like Photomode shots, looked fucking phenomenal.

I mean, if this was the first time we were ever seeing the game, I'd understand, but we've actually seen it being played, now on two separate occasions, and it's looking fantastic. And that demo we saw a few months back was probably an older build, and more polish and refinement will have been put into the game as it approached release.

At this point in gaming history, we have PC's and consoles that can produce incredible visuals, coupled with stupidly talented artists and designers. The PS5 and Xbox Series X are impressive pieces of technology. The games are going to look good, guys. Especially the ones coming from developers that have the time, budget, and talent to truly make them shine. Insomniac is one of those developers.

Yep, games already look so good. Next-gen is only going to get better, much better.

shenden

Oct 27, 2017
Could've they went fidelity mode: 1080p/60fps with raytracing or would that be to costly?

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Yep, games already look so good. Next-gen is only going to get better, much better.

To be completely honest, I'd be happy with games in the next gen looking like the games of this gen, but with stable performance, and some bells and whistles here and there. At some point, the constant pursuit of graphical excellence becomes unwieldy. I don't mean that in terms of the power of the machines, but more in terms of the workload and pressure it puts on development studios. Like, people have to make this shit, you know? And that comes at a cost, whether it be money, time, or, of course, man hours.

I don't want developers killing themselves just to give me my 15-30 hours of entertainment.

With that said, the above doesn't mean developers should stop pursuing technical advancements in the industry, just that the "video" part of "video games," has reached an amazing point where very little is out of the realm of possibility when it comes to realizing the vision of the development team. Maybe it's because I grew up in the 80's, where the heavy lifting was done in our heads. We could get lost in the worlds of Super Mario Bros 1, or Castlevania, or Contra, or Metroid, because our minds filled in the gaps (with the help of some pretty awesome artwork in most instruction manuals, of course lol).

Now, we have games that look like this:

51d24e4529f35b9228ba4c32e6acdbba.gif

or this:

f6a8505343ed8cd64254a6384d5b5dd68b45613c.gifv

and this:

dOgqVEN.gif

For me, I'm like, "Dudes, we're there, man. The dream has been realized!" lol

We've come a long way from this:

67e9654de709533e.png

over the past 40 years. I mean, I grew up on those games. Each new generation blew my mind with each jump in technology and power, but it was always to serve an end: to realize worlds for gamers in a way they couldn't in the generation before. I think the real star of this current crop of consoles and PC advancement is definitely improvements due to SSD speeds, and what that's going to allow game developers to do in terms of designing worlds that they weren't able to do before. I am 100% certain that this generation isn't going to just be the last with prettier graphics. The pretty graphics come with the territory, but how games are designed is going to see a pretty significant shift that's exciting. And it's not just because "games load fast now, wowee zowee!" I think gamers are going to be pleasantly surprised at what talented developers are going to be doing with gaming as the generation matures.

My hope is that the start of the generation having such an emphasis on stable framerates and performance carries through the entire generation and beyond. Graphically, I'm beyond satisfied with what we have (improved facial animation and modeling isn't bad, but not everything needs to be "OMG, the photo-realismsss!!!")

Apr 11, 2018
Sweden
Spider-Man is one of my favourite characters and Im currently reading through the Ultimate Spider-Man comic books with Miles. I loved the first game and basically every movie.

One thing I've been beginning to notice when Miles is present in different forms of media is that he's followed by a kick ass soundtrack - or visually they show music with or around Miles. Examples for this is the Into the Spider-verse movie. In which Miles is followed by a great soundtrack, it even has him singing Sunflower at the beginning of the movie. Ganke also listens to similar music and the movie is filled with a great soundtrack.

In the comic books Im reading there aren't a focus per se on music, but there's multiple panels where the concept of music is present, wether if its headphones, notes, etc.

If we take a look at Spider-Man PS4's reveal trailer (or any trailer what so ever for that matter) it has focus on voice, and epic, orchestral music. But in Spider-Man Miles Morales, it has voice, transitioned into On My Own by Jaden, a song I personally love.
This makes me hope that Miles has an option to listen to music while swinging around New York. Think instead of JJJ podcasts, you have a kick ass soundtrack that you can turn on and off pretty much whenever you want. Its kind of like a radio in open world games

Don't know if anyone agrees with me, but overall Spider-Man on PS4 is so good that I have no doubt in my mind that Miles will be similar in quality, but I'd for sure love it if Miles has music built into his suit.
MY WISH OF LICENSES MUSIC FROM PEOPLE LIKE JADEN WAS REAL 😭

Saberus

Oct 28, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Imagine if you never owned a PS4 and are finally buying a PS5 and day 1 you get to play the PS5 Remastered Spidey, then Miles, then Demons Souls, then Uncharted 4, TLOU1/2, God of War, Infamous SS etc. Jesus what a time to be alive.
I never bought Spidey and will now and I only got 30% through TLOU2 and got stopped by life stuff.. so will continue on PS5.. good times coming.

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017

Bruh. I even left out games like Death Stranding, Ghost of Tsushima, Nioh 1/2, Ratchet and Clank, Lost Legacy, Horizon, Detroit, Bloodborne. DUDE YOU ARE FUCKING SET. Congrats.

I never bought Spidey and will now and I only got 30% through TLOU2 and got stopped by life stuff.. so will continue on PS5.. good times coming.

Spidey is like a first party more polished Arkham game but with a more fun traversal system. You're going to love it.

Deleted member 49482

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2018
Just started flipping through the e-issue of this Game Informer and noticed a possible clue about a certain villain. Anyone want to take a look at tell me if I'm crazy or misinterpreting this?
On page 27, there is a Miles Morales figurine that is coming out this holiday season. The company that makes these figurines, Sideshow/Hot Toys, seems to have some that tie-in with the Spider-Man game (Advanced Suit and Anti-Ock Suit figurines). Am I missing something or does the figurine's base look symbiote-ish?

EDIT: Did a little more digging and it looks like the figurine was first released in early 2019 and the base is indeed Ultimate Venom. Being that it's an old figurine, I'm guessing it's just a coincidence and they're trying to move remaining units of the figurine with the new game helping to increase exposure.
Imagine if you never owned a PS4 and are finally buying a PS5 and day 1 you get to play the PS5 Remastered Spidey, then Miles, then Demons Souls, then Uncharted 4, TLOU1/2, God of War, Infamous SS etc. Jesus what a time to be alive.
This is almost me, and let me tell you, it's mind-blowing. I picked up a PS4 at the end of November 2019 after a 5-year hiatus from gaming. I've only played through a couple PS4 games so far (Spider-Man and Uncharted 4; currently playing TLoU Remastered). There are so many graphical and gameplay advancements that I'm sure many day-1 enthusiasts and gamer-critics have become jaded with, but I there have been several times when I'll just stop and stare my screen while thinking, "This is absolutely incredible."

Last edited:

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just started flipping through the e-issue of this Game Informer and noticed a possible clue about a certain villain. Anyone want to take a look at tell me if I'm crazy or misinterpreting this?
On page 27, there is a Miles Morales figurine that is coming out this holiday season. The company, Sideshow.com, seems to have some figurines that tie-in with the Spider-Man game (Advanced Suit and Anti-Ock Suit figurines). Am I missing something or does the figurine's base look symbiote-ish?
I would be surprised if they're doing anything about that storyline before Spider-Man 2.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
Considering nothing about side content and statements like this...

I'm assuming the side content is still the same repetitive crap. Disappointing but I knew it would be.

That was by far the worst part of the original game sadly.

I really want them to leave this shit behind in Spider-Man 2, craft few and good side quests and leave the usual "complete x,y, z tasks in this part of the map" busywork-

MangoUltz

Mar 24, 2019
Excellent info dump. So hyped for this game. Thought we'd be waiting years for more Spider-Man but here we are

Oct 26, 2017
I don't know whether to play through Remastered + DLC first and then Miles Morales or to go through Miles Morales first... I played and 100% the original, but didn't get the DLC. I might replay the game and go through DLC first... but I won't take my sweet time with it like I did the first time around.

Story run of the remaster plus DLC playthrough? You def need to play the DLC at least. Its important to the story, and already affects the plot in MM.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
That all sounds really good. I hope they cut the "you have to do side quests now" parts out of the game. They really ruined the pacing for me. It took me forever to beat the game because by the end I was just tired of the side quests but had to complete some to move the story along.

OP
OP
WordsintheWater
Oct 25, 2017
That all sounds really good. I hope they cut the "you have to do side quests now" parts out of the game. They really ruined the pacing for me. It took me forever to beat the game because by the end I was just tired of the side quests but had to complete some to move the story along.

You don't have to complete any actually, you can just swing around and the marker will pop up.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
To be completely honest, I'd be happy with games in the next gen looking like the games of this gen, but with stable performance, and some bells and whistles here and there. At some point, the constant pursuit of graphical excellence becomes unwieldy. I don't mean that in terms of the power of the machines, but more in terms of the workload and pressure it puts on development studios. Like, people have to make this shit, you know? And that comes at a cost, whether it be money, time, or, of course, man hours.

I don't want developers killing themselves just to give me my 15-30 hours of entertainment.

With that said, the above doesn't mean developers should stop pursuing technical advancements in the industry, just that the "video" part of "video games," has reached an amazing point where very little is out of the realm of possibility when it comes to realizing the vision of the development team. Maybe it's because I grew up in the 80's, where the heavy lifting was done in our heads. We could get lost in the worlds of Super Mario Bros 1, or Castlevania, or Contra, or Metroid, because our minds filled in the gaps (with the help of some pretty awesome artwork in most instruction manuals, of course lol).

Now, we have games that look like this:

51d24e4529f35b9228ba4c32e6acdbba.gif

or this:

f6a8505343ed8cd64254a6384d5b5dd68b45613c.gifv

and this:

dOgqVEN.gif

For me, I'm like, "Dudes, we're there, man. The dream has been realized!" lol

We've come a long way from this:

67e9654de709533e.png

over the past 40 years. I mean, I grew up on those games. Each new generation blew my mind with each jump in technology and power, but it was always to serve an end: to realize worlds for gamers in a way they couldn't in the generation before. I think the real star of this current crop of consoles and PC advancement is definitely improvements due to SSD speeds, and what that's going to allow game developers to do in terms of designing worlds that they weren't able to do before. I am 100% certain that this generation isn't going to just be the last with prettier graphics. The pretty graphics come with the territory, but how games are designed is going to see a pretty significant shift that's exciting. And it's not just because "games load fast now, wowee zowee!" I think gamers are going to be pleasantly surprised at what talented developers are going to be doing with gaming as the generation matures.

My hope is that the start of the generation having such an emphasis on stable framerates and performance carries through the entire generation and beyond. Graphically, I'm beyond satisfied with what we have (improved facial animation and modeling isn't bad, but not everything needs to be "OMG, the photo-realismsss!!!")

As someone who started gaming on Sega Mega Drive, I agree with this sentiment. We should see a healthy balance between presentation and scope, devs shouldn't be put in a position to work their backsides off anymore.

I think we're at a good point now, for me I'd be happy with improved animations and models, global illumination and generally higher performance.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
As someone who started gaming on Sega Mega Drive, I agree with this sentiment. We should see a healthy balance between presentation and scope, devs shouldn't be put in a position to work their backsides off anymore.

I think we're at a good point now, for me I'd be happy with improved animations and models, global illumination and generally higher performance.
While I do not need character and environment model and textures to be any higher than we already have. Like I don't even mind visible polygon on wheel or blocky finger etc. I do wish thing like animation, physics, cloth sim, lighting keep getting better.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
While I do not need character and environment model and textures to be any higher than we already have. Like I don't even mind visible polygon on wheel or blocky finger etc. I do wish thing like animation, physics, cloth sim, lighting keep getting better.

I think those things will always continue to improve, and they should, but I definitely feel like, at this point, we've reached a wonderful point in gaming where we have the means to truly execute the vision of the design team. Like, look at the Demon's Souls Remake for example. It finally looks like the concept art as originally intended, but the PS3 and From Software team were unable to really pull that off. Not that From Software didn't have the talent required to do it, but more so it being a combination of the PS3's difficult to master hardware, as well as the time and budget the Demon's Souls team would need to create a game that matched their intention; some teams were able to pull that off; see: God of War 3 on the PS3 most certainly realized its concept art, as did the Uncharted games, but those were first party studios with massive budgets behind them.

I feel like (or maybe hope), that this generation will see developers and publishers creating development pipelines that are friendlier and more efficient, allowing teams to realize their goals, while also not pushing them to the brink of their physical, mental, and emotional limits. The steps that the PS5 engineers have taken to ensure that the console was a "developer friendly" machine is great. It's still not going to be a cakewalk (game development is still very hard, and requires a lot of effort and communication and balancing of many elements), but at least it'll be a bit better in that development teams won't be fighting with the console as much as they had, say, the PS3's Cell architecture. The PS4 was a step up, and it looks like the PS5 is a step up from that.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Man, it's gonna be a tough pick whether I should go with Miles Morales (this would be Spidey R + DLC and MM) or Demon's Souls first.