• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

NTGYK

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
One of the best animated and comic book films ever.

Get this team to make a dozen more Spider-Verse films

Nicolas Cage as Noir is a fucking treasure. "The moral ambiguity of my violent actions" indeed

killertofu

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Loved it. Jake Johnson plays hobo Spider-Man so well. I just wish there were more time. An extra 20 minutes to flesh out the characters would've been great.

Also a damn shame that this didn't open well. On one hand I'm glad this movie actually came out. On the other hand...how much did venom make opening weekend? Makes me sad.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Just got back from seeing it. What a visual tour de force. Absolutely loved it. Just brimming with energy, vibrancy and fun, and enough of quirky story and take on the world and characters that it still felt fresh.

The character designs, that animation, cinematography, effects, sound track etc, all just delightful and punchy. Don't get me wrong, some of it still had a tiny bit of a been there seen it vibe, and narratively it's still yet another super hero film at the end of the day, but somehow I still walked out feeling like I'd experienced something pretty unique.

Highly recommended. Blu Ray is going to be awesome to re-watch on an OLED with surround sound.

JetBlackPanda

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Echo Base
This movie has been on my mind since I got out a few days ago. Seriously so special.

its urban and fresh and fucking cool as hell, its funny and beautiful and has a great story to tell.

you can tell people that REALLY love Spiderman and comic books were involved, from the writing to the acting and the artists.

I keep saying it but this is what happens when the movie studio gets out of the way and you let artists create.

Oct 27, 2017
...Also that post credits was perfection.

This was a sorely needed project for Sony Animation. Both from a credibility aspect and more importantly, its a project that let them fully stretch themselves creatively.

I'm really hoping the film sees a commercial success to match its critical one. I know I can't wait to pick this up and watch in 4K.

It also gives them a justification for their ongoing ownership of the Spidey/Spidey characters licence. This does show they can do more than just make Spidey movies that are a cash-in -- they can still bring something that adds to the IP despite having so many Spidey incarnations in such a small amount of years.

Really looking forward to Spider-Verse 2 & the Spider-Gwen spin-off. I'd like to see their Spider-Gwen movie be a prequel covering her backstory -- the twist with Peter being her friend that becomes the Lizard is really interesting to me.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
Outrageously good. A movie firing on every cylinder and clearly made by people who love and understand spiderman and the different versions.

The end credits scene pure magic.

I don't know if they will ever be able to top themselves but super interested in seeing what else they have to come.

pokeystaples

Oct 27, 2017
Took my wife and her family to see it last night. I thought the animation was incredible, but I think there was so much hype surrounding it that I didn't enjoy it as much as I could have. It hit all the notes it should have and looked very good doing it, but I couldn't help but feel a bit bored. My mother in law and sister in law definitely fell asleep near the middle/end.

Totakeke

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely terrific, definitely favorite pure comic book movie ever. Definitely sad I didn't get to catch it in Dolby Cinema when it came out because I was travelling.

Abudiix

Sep 8, 2018
Malmö, Sweden
This movie is really good. I watched it the first time in English. Today I watched it again in Arabic And it still was really good. They tried making it as close to English as possible. I like that they used Arabs from different countries for almost each character instead of taking a cast from a single country.

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Goddamn, went and saw this finally and easily one of the best movies i've ever seen. It oozed style and was so fun. I'm not someone who cares about Spider Man, but Miles Morales, Older Spiderman and Spider Gwen were all really awesome characters. I really wish they'd make a game starring Miles or Gwen, they're both awesome. I look forward to this coming out on blu ray so I can watch it again.

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
Took my wife and her family to see it last night. I thought the animation was incredible, but I think there was so much hype surrounding it that I didn't enjoy it as much as I could have. It hit all the notes it should have and looked very good doing it, but I couldn't help but feel a bit bored. My mother in law and sister in law definitely fell asleep near the middle/end.

This was my experience as well, my wife fell asleep in the latter half of the movie. She said that she liked Homecoming a lot more, and I have to admit that Homecoming was a much more accessible movie. I liked Spider-verse but I didn't think it was great, and I think a big reason for that was because I never read comic books growing up, so it didn't have the same impact on me that it would've had I previously experienced all the different incarnations of Spiderman.

pokeystaples

Oct 27, 2017
This was my experience as well, my wife fell asleep in the latter half of the movie. She said that she liked Homecoming a lot more, and I have to admit that Homecoming was a much more accessible movie. I liked Spider-verse but I didn't think it was great, and I think a big reason for that was because I never read comic books growing up, so it didn't have the same impact on me that it would've had I previously experienced all the different incarnations of Spiderman.
Maybe that's it. I never took to Spider-Man comics, but a friend of mine has read them forever and gushed about the movie.

I am so glad I am not you.
I'm glad you're not me, too. There's only enough room for one in here.

RRW

Oct 26, 2017
I will admit first few minute did give me bit of seizure due to tons of color and fast moving animation. But i get used to it later.

Otherwise great film. it highlighting the development of miles form zero to hero

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
This movie was ridiculous. In a good way. The action was crazy and just so energetic. And there was a decent, grounded, human drama underneath the insane visual spectacle as well. The movie got a bit thick with the "everyone can wear the mask" message in the last minutes of the movie but otherwise it was a nicely told narrative.

The only bad thing I have to say after first watch is that the movie looked kind of bad for a few moments after Miles left his home. Like for half a minute, the movie had more of a (high budget) Telltale game look than a cool comic book come to 3d cartoon life one. But that quickly passed.

skipgo

Dec 28, 2018
I'm just another voice in the chorus, but what a great movie.
The animation looked so good and distinctive, great story full of touching moments!

Already want to rewatch it.

Mar 20, 2018
I took my 9 year old daughter to see it. We were both floored at how much we enjoyed it. She was in an elated mood for the rest of the day because of the experience. The scene with Miles mumbling Sunflower is so relatable.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Still having a hell of a time getting people to go see this movie.

I think my success rate is currently 0

Maybe that's it. I never took to Spider-Man comics, but a friend of mine has read them forever and gushed about the movie.

I never read Spider-Man comics.

I don't even like Spider-Man that much.

I loved Spider-Verse. Adored it.

Sir Hound

Oct 28, 2017
That put Pixar to shame. I'm not even a spiderman head but that might have been the best thing I've ever seen. Thanks to everyone in this thread who spoke effusively of it as I wouldn't have given it a chance otherwise. Incredible.

I saw it with some people I only met this week, I've been so tired but all three of us were buzzing so much after seeing it it too me hours to land back on planet earth

Sounds like apples and oranges really. Yep that was fucking great but comparing live action and animation is weird.
Sony shat the bed big time with venom.
Should have made venom animated and spider-verse live action with the same talent behind it.

Absolutely not. This was infinitely better than it could have ever been live action. There's a vitality that would have been totally drained.

grang

Nov 13, 2017
I just got out of a 3D showing, and I'm floored. Can't believe how far it exceeded my expectations. I never thought I'd say it's one of my favorite movies of last year...honestly, can't think of many better theater experiences I've had ever. Packed theater, everyone laughing. Like what the hell, it's amazing. I'm gonna see it at least one more time in theaters, and it might be the first movie in a looooong time I plan on buying just to have.

Celcius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just got back from seeing this and it was just as amazing as everyone said it was. Wow. Excited about the sequel.
Also his Uncle Aaron was my favorite character and What's Up Danger is awesome.

Last edited:

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Spider-Verse was the number 5 film in US domestic box office this weekend. Pretty impressive a month out.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Spider-Verse was the number 5 film in US domestic box office this weekend. Pretty impressive a month out.

The little engine that could. Not the monster hit it deserved to be, but very solid legs. And according to Box Office Mojo:

Congrats to everyone involved. Now I wait for the Blu Ray...

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ever since I watched the first trailer I had zero doubt this would be the best Spider-Man movie ever, and one of the best CBM ever made.

So good. Best movie of 2018.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Glad for the bump since I was meaning to make a post in this and never did. So best do it now before I forget.
So I got to watch the first 30 minutes of the film in October last year (Every bit up to the reveal of Peter B. Parker) so I already knew a number of things like Spiderman Prime's death long before anyone else did. Trying to keep that secret was fun. It's great to see the rest of the film lived up to the expactations of the opening (I love the reveal of Doc. Ock in this film), I thought it was solidly good on the first watch, which is impressive consdiering that week of being ill for the last few weeks and having to miss out on the works Christmas Party so I wasn't in the best of moods. But the second time around I went to watch when I was in a better mood I enjoyed it a great deal more. I think Peter B. Parker was my favourite character in the film. I always enjoy the old sarcastic mentor type and to see it come from Peter Parker was great. It was also interesting to have seen the Stan Lee cameo BEFORE he died back in October, and then watching it get to his scene again when the film came out. It did make it stand out a bit more and give it a different meaning.
If you haven't seen this film already. Why haven't you? It's Peak Spidey, probably my favourite film of 2018. Go. Go watch it.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
I finally got around to seeing this with my son. He absolutely loved it. I enjoyed it as well, and it made me realize how much better the MCU movies could be.

Does anyone know what was the deal with the number 42? I noticed it highlighted a couple of times during the movie and I'm sure I missed it more times then I spotted it.

I have the same curiosity, Castor, it seemed prominent beyond convenience. Maybe the spoiler thread knows...

EDIT: Apparently not.

I assume it's reference to the Answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, The Universe, and Everything. Maybe Fisk's technology is based on the Infinite Improbability Drive.

hodayathink

Oct 25, 2017

Spider-Verse continuing to steamroll through of the Awards circuit. Curious what the Academy is going to wind up voting for.

It'll be a major upset if it doesn't win the Oscar. Voters are generally known for not caring about Best Animated Movie, but this movie has more than a few evangelists out there in the Academy (like Guillermo Del Toro and Barry Jenkins), and on top of that, all of Sony's other awards-type movies flopped so they can afford to spend all the money they were gonna use to campaign on this movie.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone know what was the deal with the number 42? I noticed it highlighted a couple of times during the movie and I'm sure I missed it more times then I spotted it.
I have the same curiosity, Castor, it seemed prominent beyond convenience. Maybe the spoiler thread knows...

EDIT: Apparently not.
I finally got around to seeing this with my son. He absolutely loved it. I enjoyed it as well, and it made me realize how much better the MCU movies could be.

I assume it's reference to the Answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, The Universe, and Everything. Maybe Fisk's technology is based on the Infinite Improbability Drive.

It's from the comics and it is a Hitchiker's reference.
https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Miles_Morales_(Earth-1610)

Trivia

KimiNewt

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Yes. In the comic it was shown to be the lottery number through which Miles got into that fancy school (you can see it in the movie too, in a miss-it-if-you-blink scene). From then on it appears in random places.

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
Really looking forward to the UHD. Best Spidey movie ever. It hit me right in the feel.

cbrotherson

Freelance Games & Comic Book Writer
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Birmingham

It's also 4x2 = 8 (the number of legs a spider has)...

When that Hypnotize beat dropped I was sold.

What a great scene (among many). The cuts and editing were perfect. And you can tell these songs were chosen with a ton of thought (rather than just picking something that sounded cool) - sure, Biggie was a NY artist, but Hypnotize is thematic of how Miles sees Aaron/their relationship.

Same with using Black Sheep's
'The Choice is Yours' - Queens native music, but reflecting Miles' wanting to take control of his life and feeling free with his uncle.

So freaking good.

Last edited: