• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
What a terrible review.

"And if I'm the only one to say that, so be it. I can't review anything but the headache-inducing blown-up TV (under) animated miasma I see before me. This is sloppy. "

Pretentious isn't a word I like to throw around, but reading that review, woof. lol

By what mechanism would a reviewer differentiate between "good animation" and "animation they simply don't like"?

It's a matter of Animation/Graphics vs. Art Direction. He called it "Direct-to-DVD" quality animation which even if you don't like the direction the went, which is just flat out wrong.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Just saw the clip that accompanied Venom and that was alright. I liked what I saw of Prowler. A new clip was also released on YouTube today (I'm not watching it. Gonna see the movie tomorrow).

Anyway, which clips in the trailers didn't end up in the final movie? Was the one where Miles is waiting on the train still in it?

Last edited:

Heroicpiglet

Avenger
Dec 22, 2017
I love the scenes with Prowler so much, the roaring beat is so powerful. Wish they release the score already.

Aquaman

Oct 27, 2017
Why is there a clip with a spoiler (it was on youtube)? I didn't even watch it, it's in the title ( because the clip is about it)... not a major one but just something I would have liked to have experienced...

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
I just caught Venom at the local discount theater. Best part of the movie was the final credit scene.

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
So I actually left Venom before the post credits scene.
Was there any different content in there?

kris.

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Saw this Saturday in a sneak peek. Easily the front-runner for my MOTY. The animation, the writing, the voice acting, everything is just so so perfect. Can't wait to see it again after it opens.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
So I actually left Venom before the post credits scene.
Was there any different content in there?
This happen, and it was hilarious.
C-658VsXoAo3ovC.jpg

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
No, I saw that both times I watched this.
I mean in the Venom post credits.

yap

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Just that

Peter got divorced with Mary Jane. I don't know the details or if it is major or in the beginning of the film, but it just stinks that it was something I never even thought of...
That gets revealed pretty early in the film so don't feel too bad.

That said, the marketing so far is still hiding stuff from the movie, things you wouldn't piece together from watching them. That might change this week as its standard wide release happens, so be wary if you want to be unspoilt.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
To think we've been waiting since April 2015, and now I'm only 3 hours away from being in my seat.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
YAASSSS. Now I'm secretly hoping that all the Spider folk have their own riff on the theme song.
Just came out of my showing and that theme wasn't in there like it's portrayed in that video. We got like two seconds max, and it didn't even get started.

Also saw this today. Posted my initial thoughts over in the spoiler thread and OT. This is definitely my comic book movie of the year, but I need to watch it again, before I commit to it being a "movie of the year", or a "best Spider-Man movie." It had a whole lot of heart, and very few bad things.

Last edited:

KimiNewt

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Album drops Friday

spider-verse-tracklist.jpg

I'm looking forward to finally hearing the full Vince Staples song from the teaser
YESSS, finally. That Vince Staples song seems awesome, shame it wasn't in the movie proper.

I'm probably going to see it again, but I might wait a couple of weeks so the memory isn't that fresh.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Still raking in the good reviews across the board. At Rotten Tomatoes its at 115 Fresh 1 Rotten for a 99% and a 9/10 average and its up to an 85 at Metacritic now as well.

Last edited:

Xe4

Oct 25, 2017
My god. Yeah, definitely the second best reviewed "large" film of the year.

lost7

Feb 20, 2018
Incredible, this could actually end up being the best rated superhero movie ever... Here's hoping the public enjoys it as much, as this movie deserves to be a break-out success

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
The metacritic score is interesting too as an 85 puts it above the Dark Knight which is at an 84 though Black Panther is higher at an 88. Though metacritic could swing depending on the last reviews to be rolling in over the next two weeks.

Can't believe this is only tracking for a 35 mil opening weekend.

A lot of places seem to be saying $35 mil is a lock but if the general public responds to the rave reviews and word of mouth then it could be north of $39 mil.

Xe4

Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, the last tracking I saw was before the absolutely insane reviews and early impressions (and a huge Sony ad campaign). It'll definitely be interesting to see how this does.

Luckily it avoided opening on the 21st which is going to be a freaking slaughterhouse.

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
$35M in December is good news! Just gonna leave my comparison to other recent animated films in December here:

To compare with other recent December openings for animated films;
Ferdinand, opened on a similar date (the 15th) to $13M OW, went on to make $84M total
Sing
, opened later in the month (the 23rd) to $35M OW, went on to make $270M total

So unless it for some reason really doesn't leg out, it should be more than fine. Might not hit the same multiplier as Sing because of when it launches and that it being based on a comic could make it a bit more frontloaded, but could conceivably do better if thinks shakes out its way (with competition, Oscar nod, good WOM)

Variety also published their take which is $30-39+M the top end of which makes a total of $200+M likely (unless it's ridiculously frontloaded).

luca

Oct 25, 2017
While the movie is incredible, it did have stuff that wasn't as great. Like they could have spent more time showing the relation of two characters in order to have a bigger payoff, while a minor villain could have had more of a defined role. Another character's motivation isn't really clear. While half the superhero cast doesn't carry much weight and appear when they're not really needed, and is only there for comedy relief. Luckily that comedy relief really works. The movie was excellent on so many fronts. And I really hope it'll be reflected in a successful box office.

Xe4

Oct 25, 2017
By what mechanism would a reviewer differentiate between "good animation" and "animation they simply don't like"?
Defining "good animation" is a difficult task, especially since I haven't seen the film (only the trailers). But as a start, you could see how well it does the 10 principles of animation, the composition and layout, how well the key frame and in-between frames mesh, etc.

As far as I've seen in the trailers, the film is pretty spot on about all of it. The one downside of it is it's not quite as smooth as Disney films, but honestly that's personal preference (hence the bad animation vs. animation you don't like). Of course if I'm not impressed by the animation in the actual film I'll come back and correct this post.

And no one is gonna every agree 100%, but this film is definitely not TV quality, and I know that much from the trailers. I don't think that should be even up for debate, it's so clearly on a different level from most TV stuff (which, duh, it's a movie) if you can't see that I dunno what to tell you.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
Yo, this is the best Spider Man movie released so far.

I can't think of a single thing I didn't like about it. Pacing, humour, emotional beats, music choices, voice acting, perfect.

Everything was perfect.

Renpatsu

Oct 25, 2017
I love everything about this film, but the big surprise for me was the sound design. It felt larger and more dynamic than most blockbuster movies.

sgtnosboss

Nov 9, 2017
only 99% phfffft, can't do it, not good enough. what a joke of a movie.

can't wait to see it

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When the hell is this soundtrack dropping? Loved it in the film.

But Venom just had an amazing run that would be odd business.

Venom's getting its sequel. But it's the ceiling for these live action Spidey films, and is hardly a sustainable strategy for them going forward. And I believe Sony knows that, which is why I doubt they're ever pulling Holland out of the MCU.

YESSS, finally. That Vince Staples song seems awesome, shame it wasn't in the movie proper.

I'm probably going to see it again, but I might wait a couple of weeks so the memory isn't that fresh.

Pretty sure that Vince track is in the film. I remember hearing it.

Last edited: