• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 4260

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Agree with you 100%. This just didn't feel like a Spiderman movie to me either. Surprised that most of ERA loves it and isn't critical at all of it. I think that's one thing that ERA consistently loves no matter what: the MCU.
Avengers Endgame is the second highest grossing movie of all time. People loving these movies isn't exclusive to ERA you know.

JetmanJay

Nov 1, 2017
You're surprised a lot of people like something you don't?

Not at all. ERA loves all MCU stuff :) - Hell, I do for the most part. I think there've only been...two MCU movies I didn't like? I'm just a bit surprised there isn't "more" dissent on this one.

Avengers Endgame is the second highest grossing movie of all time. People loving these movies isn't exclusive to ERA you know.

Yeah, true. Just thought ERA would be a little more critical of it. Just because the general public is cool with a lot of different stuff, doesn't mean ERA has been.

Ah yes, this grand singular being known as Era never criticizes the MCU. Ever.

Hahaha, maybe they are? I haven't stuck around long enough in those threads to notice. I guess the first week everyone is bound to be excited over and love everything.

hasan114

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I saw it and thought it wasjust good below Spider-verse and Spider-Man 2, Homecoming. There were issues with the pacing and the comedy was sometimes a bit over the top.

That said I think they were doing fine with spiderman. Trying to give you all the things that make him eandearingn while also doing something new.

I dont think the whole friendly neighborhood stuggle would be new enough for mass audiences to come see this yet anoher time after the two previous installments.

Longer term ithink this has amazing potential.

Last edited:

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
I love it. I've had enough Spiderman drama from the older films that I think I'm more than ok with this more lighthearted themed one. I've never really read the comics, but Mysterio is great, unusual different villain, Gyllenhaal is great as him lol. Zendaya is cute. She and Peter are so awkward haha

Only minor gripe is Peter giving the EDITH glasses to Mysterio so quickly, which I felt was a bit off. But the scene after that was wack lol.

JK Simmons coming back was great haha. Luckily I never got spoiled on that.

I wonder how they're gonna continue this going forward with the reveal, and I also wonder if they're ever gonna go back and do another Osborn / Dr. Oct storyline.

Anyway Spider-verse is still my best spidey film, but this one is pretty good :P

Last edited:

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Peter is probably the quippiest character with the lamest jokes in the most inappropriate situations, in the entirety of Marvel's comic book roster of characters, and people are seriously complaining about too much comedy and quips in this movie. :|

As far as I'm concerned the MCU under the direction of Feige truly gets all of these characters and honours the source material, while adapting it to another medium and making them accessible for non-readers. We're in the golden age of comic book movies and I'm loving it.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peter is probably the quippiest character with the lamest jokes in the most inappropriate situations, in the entirety of Marvel's comic book roster of characters, and people are seriously complaining about too much comedy and quips in this movie. :|

If anything Peter didn't quip enough

hasan114

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Right he didn't do the Spider-Man would do in tense situations. The comedy was entirely because of how awkward peter was or driven by side characters.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Agree with you 100%. This just didn't feel like a Spiderman movie to me either. Surprised that most of ERA loves it and isn't critical at all of it. I think that's one thing that ERA consistently loves no matter what: the MCU.

Maybe some people are just being overly picky or over thinking it....

The movie is a ton of fun and has great characters, action, humour and is everything a Spider-Man movie should be. Most people love it because it's a well made, extremely fun movie. It does exactly what it intended and looks to be another big hit for the MCU.

Nothing wrong with not liking it but you will definitely be the minority on that opinion.

Ernest

Oct 25, 2017
So.Cal.
This is the last Marvel movie for a while, right?
Like, I don't even know what the next one is. Has it even been announced? A release date? Anything?

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Man When Peter swinging around NY with MJ at the end.
I was expecting the cameo of Matt, Jess, Luke, and Danny.

One day...

mfTREp5.jpg

Davey Cakes

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts
Saw it yesterday. "Fun movie" is the perfect definition. It's just a good time.

The sequence where Mysterio started really using his "powers" on Spiderman in the second act is where the movie DID start feeling like a Spiderman movie. Gave me the same feelings that I got from the Raimi flicks which isn't a bad thing since the rest of the movie is slathered in MCU sauce.

I understand why people would think it had a slow start but these days I'm all for a little bit of slice of life + world building before the "big stuff" happens. This movie had to address the aftermath of Endgame and it did that while reintroducing us to Peter's world, his friends, family, etc.

Laughed many times throughout. Most of the humor landed for me.

The mid-credits and end-credits scenes were HYPE.

Not sure how it stacks up to Homecoming which I also liked but yeah, thumbs up. Similar to Shazam, I walked out with a joyful, excited feeling.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Opening of the movie was incredible, I will hear no complaints about it! I wonder where the kids got the shitty image of Vision, maybe they got a pirate copy of Civil War. :D

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Like, I don't even know what the next one is. Has it even been announced? A release date? Anything?

We're expecting Eternals and Black Widow next year I'm pretty sure, just needs an official announcement at Comic-Con.

CortexVortex

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
God I love everything about the MCU spidey. The cast is perfect again and the chemistry is top notch.
Kudos to Holland who nailed the emotional scenes really well.

And yep, the post credits stuff got me extremely hyped for the sequel.

Davey Cakes

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts
"Peter Tingle" is just a funny name for the Spider Sense, right?

While I kind of wanted MORE sequences of Mysterio playing around with Peter in the illusion, I can appreciate how they let Peter get beat up, forcing him to learn to hone his skills and then use his senses to defeat Mysterio. They didn't drag any of those parts out.

It was almost TOO perfect of a setup and payoff but I ain't complaining.

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
My only problem with Holland is he sometimes overdoes the whiny kid voice. Like when Aunt May introduced him to the crowd. There's awkwardness and then there is clearly forced awkwardness.

Davey Cakes

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts
Despite fully expecting the eventual villain turn, I did not expect him to go all in on the trickery, where his illusions were that in-depth. The best part of that particular reveal was the speech that came afterwards, just fully self-aware with the congratulations, which ingeniously referenced past movies. I did not expect Tony's tech from Civil War or the scientist from the "BOX OF SCRAPS" scene to come back here the way they did, that shit was inspired. Also I love how Gyllenhaal really just woke up performance-wise once he longer had to pretend to be Peter's friend, had some real Nightcrawler vibes.
Yes, I loved this entire thing. Calling back to 2008 was genius. Also, I wasn't sure about Gyllenhaal at first but when he lets loose it's just great. He goes from unconvincing to convincing at the flick of a switch. Satisfying character moment.

Speaking of Nightcrawler, that's the movie that sold me on him FOREVER.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
The Mysterio sequences in Spider-Man PS5 are gonna be DOPE.

Deleted member 4260

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Anyone have any clue what's going on with this LEGO set? It's branded as Far From Home but it's almost like it's based off a deleted scene or something.
I believe it's a deleted scene that was in the official trailer. It presumably takes place before Peter's photo shoot since he's still in his Iron Spider outfit.

edit: nvm I mixed them up after reading deleted scene, this is based on the final scene with Happy and the kids in the museum.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
What's brilliant about this movie is that even if there had been no superhero shenanigans and it was just a 2 hour video of these characters on a trip I would have been completely and fully entertained.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Saw it again last night. I think this might end up being my new favorite Spider-Man film, Homecoming is great but this is an improvement.

I'd also say this is better than Spider-Verse, like, that movie is really good, but it's not this relavatory, untouchable masterpiece that some superfans of the movie out there would have you believe. Some people are needlessly over the top when it comes to that one.

KimiNewt

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They really didn't. This movie had an Iron Man supporting character bailing Pete out multiple times, a villain whose motivations were tied to Stark more than Peter, Pete has infinite resources for much of the movie (even the one time it feels like he's going to be seriously down on his luck a billion dollar private jet comes in, very Spider-Man!) and one of the main themes was about "who will carry on Iron Man's legacy." He makes the new suit with stark tech while Back in Black plays in the background for crying out loud.

None of the consequences had any lasting effect on Peter at all, unless you count the mid-credits scene, and we have no idea how that will even pay off or if they'll handwave it. For THIS movie nothing really stuck. It was the affectation of consequence without the actual consequence. Spidey *almost* ends up stranded in the Netherlands. Mysterio *almost* kills people as a result of Peter handing away Edith. Peter's classmate *almost* gets hurt as a result of him literally issuing a drone strike on him. Not-Nick-Fury *almost* stays mad at him about it. He even starts going out with MJ in the end, so we don't even really get the whole "superhero life/real life balance" consequence that the movie seemed to be trying really hard to sell! Still friends with Ned, his teachers/chaperones aren't mad at him, etc. I'm not saying it needs to be miserable but with both Homecoming and now this movie Peter just lucks his way out of situations when he should have to... take responsibility.
Yep. Aside from the mid-credit scene nothing really bad happened (and that mid-credit scene isn't really a result of any bad thing Peter did).

The dude made so many mistakes and gets zero retribution for it. He walks out on Fury when he asks him to save the goddamn world just so he can go on a goddamn class trip. So much for responsibility.

At times I feel that this Peter, despite his nerdiness and earnestness is almost as far away from comics Peter than the Amazing Spider-Man movie version was.
The best rendition was in Civil War, he was way better there than in either of the Spider-Man films.

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
We have dates for unspecified Marvel movies, the next one is in March. It would have to be Black Widow as that is currently filming though it just hasn't been officially announced yet.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like both Ryan Coogler and Jon Watts would like to get their hands on Kraven:

If you had a carte blanche choice of villain, Norman Osborne, the Sinister Six, whomever… who are your favorite Spider-Man villains?
I mean, Kraven's pretty great and coming up with a take on Kraven would be a fun challenge, but you know, to me it's all about trying to show people things that they haven't seen before, so I would dig back in and started reading the comics from issue #1 again.

Come on Sony, just drop your plan, and give them access to the character. Marvel Studios wants it, the audience wants it.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
We have dates for unspecified Marvel movies, the next one is in March. It would have to be Black Widow as that is currently filming.
The next one is on May 1.

They'll highly likely announce a slate of new movies on July 20. Next one is Black Widow on May 1 2020. And then Eternals follows in November 2020. Shang-Chi after that in February 2021.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yep. Aside from the mid-credit scene nothing really bad happened (and that mid-credit scene isn't really a result of any bad thing Peter did).

The dude made so many mistakes and gets zero retribution for it. He walks out on Fury when he asks him to save the goddamn world just so he can go on a goddamn class trip. So much for responsibility.

At times I feel that this Peter, despite his nerdiness and earnestness is almost as far away from comics Peter than the Amazing Spider-Man movie version was.
The best rendition was in Civil War, he was way better there than in either of the Spider-Man films.

ITT we complain that shell-shocked victims need to put away their happiness in the name of a distorted idea of responsibility.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In hindsight, EDITH is pretty dumb and Nick Fury shouldn't have been in the movie.

Also, Happy tells Peter he can never be Iron Man, only Spider-Man, then he puts on AC/DC while Peter makes a suit in the back like Iron Man would.

The scene on the plane with Happy and Peter talking about Tony and then Peter designs the suit was absolutely fantastic.
The film states then immediately contradicts its theme in that scene.

Saw it again last night. I think this might end up being my new favorite Spider-Man film, Homecoming is great but this is an improvement.

I'd also say this is better than Spider-Verse, like, that movie is really good, but it's not this relavatory, untouchable masterpiece that some superfans of the movie out there would have you believe. Some people are needlessly over the top when it comes to that one.
Far From Home is full of way more distracting plot holes and pacing issues.

Spider-Verse is a Swiss Clock of a film. It does new things in animation and comic book films no one had seen before. Far From Home, while good, is more of the same.

Last edited: