• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still shook that they brought JK Simmons back

it's like Feige knew he had to fill the void created by killing off the other irreplaceable, most perfect casting in comic book history

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think this is my least favorite MCU movie. I wasnt digging the teen rom com side of things. I think these movies suffer when they focus on Peter's friends and classmates. I just dont enjoy them as characters and their comedy falls flat most of the time.

The Mysterio illusions were cool though and the villain was typical MCU fodder. And I'm not sure what to think about Tony Stark always being there to pick Peter up when hes down. It steals some of Peter's own accomplishments as an intellectual and inventor.
You liked Incredible Hulk more?

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
There was just so much sitcom-level "oh no what a wacky coincidence causing problems!" bullshit in this movie that I had trouble enjoying it. Brad's picture, the accidental drone strike, and even Peter saying "execute them all" (even if Mysterio somehow programmed EDITH to phrase it that way, that is not a natural way to respond in any case). It's incredibly lazy writing.

Pacing was weird and it just didn't feel cohesive. I really like Holland and Zendaya, but this was a rougher MCU film for me.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think I've gotten to the point where I now see the MCU as a single theatrical TV series.

As a result, I'm easier to please. That was a pretty good episode. There were lots of sweaty scenes and the movie felt a bit clunky as a result but it was a great chaser to Endgame and I really liked how they both took the piss out of it while also answering some questions about the new world.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There was just so much sitcom-level "oh no what a wacky coincidence causing problems!" bullshit in this movie that I had trouble enjoying it. Brad's picture, the accidental drone strike, and even Peter saying "execute them all" (even if Mysterio somehow programmed EDITH to phrase it that way, that is not a natural way to respond in any case). It's incredibly lazy writing.

Pacing was weird and it just didn't feel cohesive. I really like Holland and Zendaya, but this was a rougher MCU film for me.

Execute them all is said by Myserterio. It's then corrupted in such a way so it appears it's said by Peter.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I liked everything after Iron Man more than this one. With the exception of Iron Man 2 since I find that one incredibly dull. Far From Home tried to mix up the formula which is great but got it all wrong. This film was 30% fun superhero film and 70% bad teen romcom.
I think the smart thing about Marvel is they can appeal to a broader demographic by having different tones and sub-genres for each sub-franchise in the MCU. The investment in the character then motivates people to see the other MCU films they would be otherwise less interested in.

This movie will likely work for a lot of people but not everyone is looking for the same thing from a superhero film.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
I walked out of this wanting to go back and see it again. Didn't get that feeling from Homecoming. It had better action, a more likeable villain, was funnier, and the locations were great. Makes me want to take a vacation soon.

Jun 20, 2019
There's one thing that stuck out to me and I wonder if anyone's talked about it and that's Mysterio's explanation of the Elementals and the multiverse theory.

The Elementals are obviously just made up threats but it isn't known to the audience whether the multiverse is real (in the world of the MCU). Mysterio himself is just a holographic tech guy, maybe brilliant but not really expected to be in-the-know on theoretical physics. So maybe he's just making stuff up.

BUT there's another wrinkle or two.
  1. Fury and Hill are actually Skrulls, members of a presumably far-advanced spacefaring society. Bullshit about alternate dimensions presumably wouldn't sell to them unless it's real.
  2. Mysterio mentions that this dimension is 616... which is true, that's the shorthand number for the main Marvel continuity. But how does Stark's former AV guy know that? You would expect the number of people on Earth who know that could be counted on one hand, outside New Asgard.
There's also the fact that Hill mentions the Kree (very briefly in one scene) and that Mysterio has this particular obsession with killing Fury and I have to wonder a little about who Mysterio actually is.

Rikucrafter

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
Australia
There's one thing that stuck out to me and I wonder if anyone's talked about it and that's Mysterio's explanation of the Elementals and the multiverse theory.

The Elementals are obviously just made up threats but it isn't known to the audience whether the multiverse is real (in the world of the MCU). Mysterio himself is just a holographic tech guy, maybe brilliant but not really expected to be in-the-know on theoretical physics. So maybe he's just making stuff up.

BUT there's another wrinkle or two.
  1. Fury and Hill are actually Skrulls, members of a presumably far-advanced spacefaring society. Bullshit about alternate dimensions presumably wouldn't sell to them unless it's real.
  2. Mysterio mentions that this dimension is 616... which is true, that's the shorthand number for the main Marvel continuity. But how does Stark's former AV guy know that? You would expect the number of people on Earth who know that could be counted on one hand, outside New Asgard.
There's also the fact that Hill mentions the Kree (very briefly in one scene) and that Mysterio has this particular obsession with killing Fury and I have to wonder a little about who Mysterio actually is.

I don't think there's a multiverse at all and Beck's writer just threw in random numbers to make their story seem more convincing. The 616 shoutout is just an easter egg in that regard

Oct 29, 2017
Peter randomly giving away the multi billion tech with all the access to weapons from Tony Stark to a guy who he met for what? A day or two in the film just put it off for me, you don't give that amount of power away to a dude who you met for a few hours, him being a kid I can understand it's how a kid at his age might think, but watching it I was like "realllllyyy???"

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think there's a multiverse at all and Beck's writer just threw in random numbers to make their story seem more convincing. The 616 shoutout is just an easter egg in that regard
Agreed. Don't read into it that much.

Peter randomly giving away the multi billion tech with all the access to weapons from Tony Stark to a guy who he met for what? A day or two in the film just put it off for me, you don't give that amount of power away to a dude who you met for a few hours, him being a kid I can understand it's how a kid at his age might think, but watching it I was like "realllllyyy???"

Yeah. That was pretty stupid. It's also the one thing that had to happen for Mysterio plan to work. Ugh.
He was absolutely desperate to rid himself of the responsibility so he convinced himself that it wouldn't be irresponsible to give it to this other guy who seemed to have it together.

It's really not that hard to believe. Peter hasn't read the comics.

Oct 28, 2017

Yeah. That was pretty stupid. It's also the one thing that had to happen for Mysterio plan to work. Ugh.

Oct 25, 2017
The first hologram fight scene? Hell Yes.

Best ever comic book casting back in action? Hell Yes.

Peter building his own costume and being a smart (though not wise) person in general? Hell Yes.

Loved it. Tom Holland is perfect. Ned is perfect. MJ is perfect.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's bonkers that the one scene that makes Nick Fury's entire character make sense in this movie is after the credits. The whole time I was watching the film I was like, "why does he just seem bored and stupider now?"

Yukari

Mar 28, 2018
Thailand
Peter's going to need a lawyer after this.
Cover-681x1024.jpg

Look like he need an international lawyer.

alundra311

Oct 25, 2017
Oh god.

"I wonder how/why Spider-Man does what he does," said nobody ever one guy, in 2019, for some inexplicable reason.

Kids nowadays are basically born with the inherent knowledge of who Batman and Spider-Man are, what their powers are, and why they fight crime. It is unnecessary and wasteful to re-hash those points.

If you were somehow born outside of the memetic field, might I interest you in the seven-hundred other pieces of media that already cover those stories?

Not everyone who watches the MCU movies follow the characters in other media or search about their backstories. My wife who is a fan of the MCU, doesn't even know who Mysterio is and actually thought he was a good guy during the first half of the film. I'm sure if she hadn't watched the past Spider-Man films, she would have no idea who uncle Ben was and would only see Spider-Man as someone inspired by Tony Stark (by far her favorite) to be a hero, which, as I see it, is what the MCU is going for. Unless they touch it up in the next films which I doubt they will.

Now that Peter and MJ are in a young, innocent relationship after Spider-man: Homecoming and Spider-man: Far from Home, I can not wait for the sequel.
Spider-Man: Far from Coming

Spider-Man: I'm Coming

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I've wondered what it was like when everyone blipped back. Did dust incorporate into the bodies (a reverse disintegration) or just blink back or something else? Glad FfH answered that one.

Miamiwesker

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
Holy shit what a movie!!!!!!! That might be the best spider man movie ever, it's perfect. Captured that high school peter parker angst perfectly. I felt the weight of the world on that poor kid, I felt it when he had teary eyes most of the time cause he just couldn't handle this spilt of being a teen and a hero. Real stakes, Mysterio was perfection, incredible action, perfect Spider-Man hero moments. That's a neat perfect Spider-Man movie.

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
Saw the movie again but I hope there will be a gif of Beck shouting get this stupid costume off of me after he got EDITH.

Oh and I actually loved the action to this movie. Not sure it tops the train scene but the drone fights were amazing imo. Spidey swinging around and being creative was great to see.

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I agree completely.

"Oh hey, look Ned, MJ is leaving, I bet she's going to the parade! Let's go and get on the Ferris wheel. So strange how we're the only ones on the Ferris wheel. Boy this monster really wants to destroy this Ferris wheel for some reason!"

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I agree completely.

"Oh hey, look Ned, MJ is leaving, I bet she's going to the parade! Let's go and get on the Ferris wheel. So strange how we're the only ones on the Ferris wheel. Boy this monster really wants to destroy this Ferris wheel for some reason!"

They weren't the only ones on the Ferris Wheel. At times you see the other people on there.

There is a multi-verse, just not discussed in this movie. Dr. Strange for instance talks about the multiverse.

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I chalk up Peter's sudden attraction to MJ as a teenager thing. He's young, going through the motions

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
All the critical response I'm hearing cites the the romcom stuff as the best parts of the film so take that for what it's worth.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
All the critical response I'm hearing cites the the romcom stuff as the best parts of the film so take that for what it's worth.
It really was though. Its the director's strong suit as his action scenes in both films have been just okay and his hands might be tied with everything revolving around fucking Tony Stark in both damn Spider-man movies.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It really was though. Its the director's strong suit as his action scenes in both films have been just okay and his hands might be tied with everything revolving around fucking Tony Stark in both damn Spider-man movies.
I agree. Well, Mysterio outside of battles was pretty great, too.

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm tired of the Tony Stark devotion. I know he just died so that's fine but let's move on from him now.

Lee Chaolan

Oct 25, 2017
Just got out of seeing it.

Mysterio was fucking AWESOME! Was just a man, but boy, were the illusions great, especially the whole bit where he gets hit by the train at the end.

Oh, and my whole theater legit clapped and cheered seeing JJJ at the end there.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
I'm a defender of Homecoming, Raimi's Spider-Man 2 used to be my favorite Spidey flick until Spider-verse changed the game.

I do not understand why so many people are saying this is the "best" or their "favorite" Spider-man. The "slice of life" stuff during the first hour or so was fun, cute and breezy to watch but it wasn't captivating or interesting to me.

The first time I actually felt any kind of tension was during the bar scene.

The second half of the movie was fantastic. Typically the action in these two Spider-man movies aren't as strong as Raimi's but the some of the creative drone fighting was strong and I loved the Mysterio illusion segments. I'm so happy the first one went on as long as it did. I also really appreciated Peter fully tapping into his Spidey senses.

I'm not sure how I feel about the mid-credit reveal. The casting on you-know-who was brilliant but the set up for the next movie is a little worrying. I'm also not a huge fan of those kinds of plots (outside of a particular Harrison Ford movie).

It also kind of sucks to get a cliffhanger that may not be resolved for three years or more.

Overall a solid B-

I feel similar to how Martin felt in the Double Toasted review. I enjoyed it, the characters and actors are great and I definitely had my share of laughs but I felt a little too silly after Endgame.

Oct 25, 2017
Just came back from this. This was the definition of a mid tier film for me. Really enjoyable but nothing fantastic.

What I liked:
Peter and his classmates. Loved them, Tom Holland and Zendaya especially have such great chemistry and I feel like this is the best relationship in the mcu yet.

Peter's conflict: This is a tired trope but I feel like the film pulled it off extremely well and you really get sense that Peter is struggle with wanting to be a kid and growing up.

JK Simmons! Holy shit they brought him back the MCU is sooo fucking good!

What I didn't like:
The location
: For me NYC is a huge part of Spiderman and his character, so the whole European field trip thing didn't do much for me.

The Blip: I knew this was coming since endgame and it ended up bugging me just as much as I thought it would. Having half the population disappear then reappear as the same age seems like it would have such a huge societal impact and I don't like how it was just handwaved away in this film as a joke. I mean I know I shouldn't expect an mcu film to go into depth with something like that, but that's also why I wish they didn't go this route in the first place and just went with time traveling to reverse the snap instead or something along those lines.

Revealing Spiderman's identity: This is one of the few problems I have with the mcu is how almost no one has a secret identity. All the superheros except for spiderman and Doctor Strange? are out...until now. I know some people view it as a tired trope but I really liked this aspect about spiderman and it sucks that it won't be there anymore.

Mysterio: I like Jake Gyllenhaal alot and I like his suit in this film, but i've never been much of a Mysterio fan, even though I felt like they updated his con artistry really well with the drones. It's just that imo a villain like Mysterio is fine in a cartoon or the comics, but in a spiderman film which is something we only get once every few years, he feels like a waste of a slot imo.

But overall still a solid movie, really liked it but I'd put it at slightly below average for this phase.
tldr: Peter Parker stuff was great, Spiderman stuff was meh.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Good thing he's got a nice juicy new relationship to sell to the devil

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still shook that they brought JK Simmons back

it's like Feige knew he had to fill the void created by killing off the other irreplaceable, most perfect casting in comic book history
Right? That was freaking great. Glad I didn't read about it before I saw it today. Seeing him back in the role was amazing :)

Just got out of seeing it.

Mysterio was fucking AWESOME! Was just a man, but boy, were the illusions great, especially the whole bit where he gets hit by the train at the end.

Oh, and my whole theater legit clapped and cheered seeing JJJ at the end there.
Yeah.

I loved Spidey's Splinter Cell suit.
That suit was awesome.

Also really liked the scene on the plane with him making and customizing a suit for the finale battle.

Last edited:

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
loved this movie, especially the young romance in europe thread

very sweet

i loved that the action was so much better than homecoming. great progression of his skills

Scarlet Spider

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
I was soured on MCU'S take on Spidey with Homecoming. But he is far more enjoyable in this movie. I can in ready to hate the movie honestly. I was surprised with how he kept on his mask for a majority of the movie, even in the end. And even more surprised with how bloody and battered he ended up. Gave me Raimi era nostalgia. I gotta say, I was very impressed given my distaste towards this incarnation of Peter. But now I'm fond of him. Very curious to see what they do with his story and reveal.

Not sure what was going on with his spider sense in the movie. I assume it's a hormonal thing or something. Didn't really understand why it wasn't fully warning him?

Oct 2, 2018
I'm a defender of Homecoming, Raimi's Spider-Man 2 used to be my favorite Spidey flick until Spider-verse changed the game.

I do not understand why so many people are saying this is the "best" or their "favorite" Spider-man. The "slice of life" stuff during the first hour or so was fun, cute and breezy to watch but it wasn't captivating or interesting to me.

The first time I actually felt any kind of tension was during the bar scene.

The second half of the movie was fantastic. Typically the action in these two Spider-man movies aren't as strong as Raimi's but the some of the creative drone fighting was strong and I loved the Mysterio illusion segments. I'm so happy the first one went on as long as it did. I also really appreciated Peter fully tapping into his Spidey senses.

I'm not sure how I feel about the mid-credit reveal. The casting on you-know-who was brilliant but the set up for the next movie is a little worrying. I'm also not a huge fan of those kinds of plots (outside of a particular Harrison Ford movie).

It also kind of sucks to get a cliffhanger that may not be resolved for three years or more.

Overall a solid B-

I feel similar to how Martin felt in the Double Toasted review. I enjoyed it, the characters and actors are great and I definitely had my share of laughs but I felt a little too silly after Endgame.

I actually have the inverse reaction to FFH from you. I liked it til the final fight on the tower bridge.

I had more fun watching this than endgame... endgame was kinda shit.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
I was soured on MCU'S take on Spidey with Homecoming. But he is far more enjoyable in this movie. I can in ready to hate the movie honestly. I was surprised with how he kept on his mask for a majority of the movie, even in the end. And even more surprised with how bloody and battered he ended up. Gave me Raimi era nostalgia. I gotta say, I was very impressed given my distaste towards this incarnation of Peter. But now I'm fond of him. Very curious to see what they do with his story and reveal.

Not sure what was going on with his spider sense in the movie. I assume it's a hormonal thing or something. Didn't really understand why it wasn't fully warning him?
Didn't work with May cause its like that in the comics. If it's not dangerous and it's someone harmless it won't trigger. As for with mysterio he probably felt something but the illusions were so strong that it overwhelmed his normal senses and he didn't know to hone in on just trusting the Peter tingle.

Oct 2, 2018
RE: IDENTITY REVEAL. This is a skrulls MCU world.

The super easy fix.

1x skrull imitates peter parker. Peter Parker gets shown on screen as spiderman. Both of them at the same place at once.

Crisis averted.