• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

JetBazooka

Banned
Jan 25, 2018
Spiderman has too many people who knows who he is, too many friends hes around constantly, and gets way too much help in these movies. The movie was nice though. Spiderman 2 is still the best.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah Brad was 11 years old during the blip and is now 16 because he didn't get dusted. Otherwise it'd be weird they wrote a 21 year old trying to hook up with a 16 year old.

alundra311

Oct 25, 2017
Tbh it didn't feel like the Stark tech was super relevant in this movie. If anything it was just there to give him a new suit fast enough. Other than that though all the powers he showcases in the action scenes were just his own ability.

Even though I know that he accomplishes things using his abilities, I just can't help but be bothered by the Iron Man stuff popping up in Spider-Man. I'm just gonna live with it until they probably do another reboot of the character. Here's hoping they leave the Iron Man stuff out in the next movie.

Omnicore

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver
End of the day I loved the movie, just edges out Homecoming for me. Mysterio was so well done and imagine that's not the end for him. I would've liked to have seen maybe another villain introduced in the same vein as Scorpion was to give more allusion to possibly a future Sinister Six. 9/10

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Even though I know that he accomplishes things using his abilities, I just can't help but be bothered by the Iron Man stuff popping up in Spider-Man. I'm just gonna live with it until they probably do another reboot of the character. Here's hoping they leave the Iron Man stuff out in the next movie.

I mean the movie also needs to serve as an epilogue to The Infinity Saga so dealing with the fallout of Tony's death is kind of inevitable.

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Yeah Brad was 11 years old during the blip and is now 16 because he didn't get dusted. Otherwise it'd be weird they wrote a 21 year old trying to hook up with a 16 year old.

Very true. Lol

I think it was just how much older he looks that threw me off. Of course I look it up and the actor is in his 30s so I guess that was it. Hah.

alundra311

Oct 25, 2017
I mean the movie also needs to serve as an epilogue to The Infinity Saga so dealing with the fallout of Tony's death is kind of inevitable.

While I have no problem with the referencing of Tony's death, the aftermath of the infinity saga, etc. in FFH, it's the Tony as a father figure/mentor of Peter that bothered me ever since they introduced the character.

Luke_wal

Oct 25, 2017
Was all the stuff about this movie taking place "minutes after the end of Endgame" just total bull, then? Or do we think it got cut, along with that footage of him fighting crime and talking smack to the cops? Those two things together feel like they could've constituted a different first act for the movie, which had a bit of an odd start.

BraXzy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
The Fury in London was not part of the illusion. That's why Beck tried to kill him. The Fury that picked up Peter so Peter could expose Mysterio was fake, however.

If that was the case, why did it feel like it didn't get addressed at all? Like no mention of "I nearly got killed!", Beck not checking the kill was confirmed on Fury?

It just felt off. Like I thought one or both of Fury and Maria Hill were projections at the end when the finale goes down, since neither seemed to acknowledge the previous near-death experience. Idk. I think I need a rewatch.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
Clearly, the whole concept of age is weird now in the MCU. You had the line in the opening newscast where the student anchor says his little brother is now his older brother, the line where MJ lets the stewardess know Flash was blipped and not actually 21, the Brad stuff-MJ stuff.

Imo, there is just too much to reconcile in one movie and even then I don't feel like Spider-man would be the appropriate film to delve into the more complicated aspects of this. I honestly don't expect us to get a real deep dive into post blip life until Falcon & WS on Disney+.

Luke_wal

Oct 25, 2017
Totally forgot about that. They definitely reaffirmed it multiple times in press as well. Weird since the movie makes it clear it's been 8 months.

Yeah. I just went back and watched the trailers, and there's even more I didn't remember that's not in the movie. Him picking up his passport, him going to the bodega and talking to the guy from Homecoming... definitely feels like the first 15 minutes of this movie went through some overhaul. Peter's even in his regular (non-Iron) suit at the fundraiser in the trailers, which just feels like a weird change because it seems to have no purpose. I actually thought the Iron Spider suit and its reflectivity looked really out of place in that scene - I wonder if it's because they had to do another CGI pass over his regular suit?

luca

Oct 25, 2017
To everyone talking about the Daily Bugle, executive producer Eric Hauserman Carroll talked about how they're gonna tackle these things back in May:

"Yes, we've absolutely talked and thought about those characters a lot, specifically in reference to this film. What we just want to make sure we're [presenting] them in a way that doesn't make you feel instantly like you've seen them before. So we have a couple of ideas, some of which I can't really go into detail because they're spoilery, but it's absolutely – if we had an 'in for the Daily Bugle that wasn't just your traditional newspaper and [with] Peter Parker, there's this cool, weird thing happening where being a photographer isn't necessarily a mark of distinction anymore. We all have better cameras in our pockets than most people even owned ten years ago. So how do we get Peter or somebody into that world without it feeling like, do kids really aspire to go be photographers for The New York Times anymore? Or do they aspire to have their tweet reposted, and so on.

"So we're trying to pay as much homage to the source material as possible, and we do think there are a couple of fun ideas like that in here, most of which I don't want to spell out for you, but absolutely. We want to take as much of the mythology that people love and present it in a way that's totally faithful to what people love about it, but in a [different] way."

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I was also sad we didn't get Karen, like a "Hello Peter" in the new suit or something. Or even a mention.

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
If that was the case, why did it feel like it didn't get addressed at all? Like no mention of "I nearly got killed!", Beck not checking the kill was confirmed on Fury?

It just felt off. Like I thought one or both of Fury and Maria Hill were projections at the end when the finale goes down, since neither seemed to acknowledge the previous near-death experience. Idk. I think I need a rewatch.

They didn't have a previous near death experience. That was all a Mysterio Projection. Fury doesn't see or talk to Peter from Post-Magma Elemental in Prague until *after* Mysterio is defeated in the final act in London.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
If they're doing Identity Crisis next Peter needs some alternate identities.

He already has Night Monkey. The second identity should obviously be The Tingler. What about a third?

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Clearly, the whole concept of age is weird now in the MCU. You had the line in the opening newscast where the student anchor says his little brother is now his older brother, the line where MJ lets the stewardess know Flash was blipped and not actually 21, the Brad stuff-MJ stuff.

Imo, there is just too much to reconcile in one movie and even then I don't feel like Spider-man would be the appropriate film to delve into the more complicated aspects of this. I honestly don't expect us to get a real deep dive into post blip life until Falcon & WS on Disney+.
Spider-Man film isn't appropriate but a TV show on a subscription service with c-tier characters is the place to do it? 🤨

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
My biggest eye-rolling moment of the film was the fact that Peter was on a Stark jet with all of this technology on it but for some reason didn't have a way to access the EDITH system and made it so Peter NEEDED to get the glasses back from Beck? Seemed way too convenient to the plot.

Spider-Man film isn't appropriate but a TV show on a subscription service with c-tier characters is the place to do it? 🤨

Not appropriate because of the tone of the film. This movie was meant to be a fun, personal and Spider-man focused adventure. There's a lot of darker and more mature elements to be explored in the world and a teenage Euro trip film is not the right place to do that.

Also, C-Tier? Falcon is the NEW CAPTAIN AMERICA for pete's sake.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
I for one can't wait for Peter to sell his love to MJ to the devil in order to get his secret identity bac

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm starting to wonder if all the stupid decisions Beck makes in the final fight were actually all on purpose so he could fake his death and expose Peter

Kind of how Fury and Hill being incompetent was all on purpose as well.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else find whatever family issues they were trying to allude to with Flash weird?

You get a glimpse of it during a text message Peter can see with the glasses on the bus and then most notably the chauffeur that picks him up at the airport and his disappointment that his mom didn't come.

They were so minuscule and served no plot point except possibly fleshing out his character for something in the future? Yet they were almost a blink and you'll miss it type scenes so why even bother.
Because Flash is a tertiary character so they're not going to give him huge time.... so they took advantage with what time they could give him

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
Just got back from seeing it and yeah, this movie was super fucking rad. Those post credit scenes were amazing. I'm so glad I went in blind on those. Also, thinking back to how Fury and Hill act in the movie, makes way more sense. Especially when Peter brings up Captain Marvel. I'm super shocked Beck died though. It seemed pretty legit too, not some fake out. Also, them bringing back some old characters and seeing old scenes in a new way is fucking awesome. I love that they can do that in this universe.

Yeah that line about not invoking her name hits harder knowing it's Talos. Because at first I was thinking why would Fury get uptight of Peter just asking where she is 🤔

mancan

Banned
Mar 29, 2018
i liked the movie
but the tony jnr thing is kinda tiring
very very tiring, like they even tied responsibility to tony even
and how uncle ben doesn't even feel like he exists

the first mephisto fight that ends with the train is incredible , amazing fight

I mean its very clear that in this universe Tony Stark is Uncle Ben. So forget really about an uncle ben being important.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Anyone else find whatever family issues they were trying to allude to with Flash weird?

You get a glimpse of it during a text message Peter can see with the glasses on the bus and then most notably the chauffeur that picks him up at the airport and his disappointment that his mom didn't come.

They were so minuscule and served no plot point except possibly fleshing out his character for something in the future? Yet they were almost a blink and you'll miss it type scenes so why even bother.

I'm not sure why everyone's so incredulous at Flash getting some development.

Not everything needs to serve the immediate plot, especially when you have an ongoing series with recurring characters.

If they're not going anywhere with Flash, at the very least it humanizes him more. Instead of being a stock bully character, we feel for him a bit more if we notice those little details.

I think they are going somewhere with him, though, especially with the revelation as to Spider-Man's identity. If he ends up doing a heroic turn in the future, or makes a mistake he regrets, it'll seem more fluid and reasonable than if he was just a one-dimensional bully for the previous two movies.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Oh no, I completely put two and two together but they could have left out those tiny family issue scenes and it wouldn't change anything at all. He's a 16-year old kid livestreaming, has a lot of followers and is a Spider-man fan, there's nothing about that that's "acting out" because he has family issues. The family issues button has to serve more of a purpose or why even bother.

Because character moments can exist to service some character development without it needed to be for some greater secret purpose.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure why everyone's so incredulous at Flash getting some development.

Not everything needs to serve the immediate plot, especially when you have an ongoing series with recurring characters.

If they're not going anywhere with Flash, at the very least it humanizes him more. Instead of being a stock bully character, we feel for him a bit more if we notice those little details.

I think they are going somewhere with him, though, especially with the revelation as to Spider-Man's identity. If he ends up doing a heroic turn in the future, or makes a mistake he regrets, it'll seem more fluid and reasonable than if he was just a one-dimensional bully for the previous two movies.

Flash is gonna react two ways...

Defend Spider-Man but not believe Peter is him

Or what I hope

Defend Spider-Man and believe he's Peter

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Personally The Spectacular Spider-Man did a much better job fleshing out Flash, but then again, that show is perfect.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Flash is gonna react two ways...

Defend Spider-Man but not believe Peter is him

Or what I hope

Defend Spider-Man and believe he's Peter

In my fantasy booking it goes two ways:

1. If Flash isn't a big player: Pete and maybe MJ and/or Ned are on the run, and they need a place to hide/distraction/whatever. They run into Flash, and it's unclear which way he'll go. But then he's Good Guy Flash and helps them out.
  2. If they want to get more in-depth: Using the hooks they've already left, they could have the world be more unsure about Peter being Spider-Man. Going through his streaming footage, Flash notices something that could confirm Pete being Spider-Man. It turns out that his mother's an evil businesswoman that wants to take down Spider-Man or whatever, and he has to decide between handing over the footage to his mother to win her approval or keeping it secret to help out Spidey. His desire for his mother's affection (and distaste for Peter) barely wins out (with some pressure from the mother), so he hands over the footage, but afterwards he really regrets it and ends up helping Spider-Man and redeeming himself because he realizes it's the right thing to do. Maybe Aunt May can have something to do and punch out Flash's mom.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
That was an amazing film and as a Dutchman LOVED the scene in the cell. Can't believe Koningsbrugge is in the MCU lmao.

Will watch again.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Absolutely loved it to pieces. Tom Holland gets better and better. Gyllenhaal fucking crushed it.

But oh man, seeing JK Simmons again almost made me jump out of my seat, holllllly shit

And they are totally setting up Secret Invasion, definitely not the direction I predicted.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
It was ok but I dislked half the jokes, the high school, Ned girlfriend/babe jokes and Peter getting framed in his boxers isn't my type of humour.

Post credits scenes were amazing and fixed some of my complaints.

How could Spider Man be so careless without his mask and get away with it? (oh he deservedly gets exposed)

Nick Fury is way too reactionary and gulliable in this movie (oh it's not really him)

THErest

Oct 25, 2017

It's Fury and Hill. They play shit cool. Getting almost killed is par for the course.