• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Scarlet Spider

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Gonna see it after work. Be honest with me Era, how long does Mysterio and Spidey keep on their helmet/mask? Does Peter actually fight this time? Or does he get ragdolled like in Homecoming?

THErest

Oct 25, 2017
Gonna see it after work. Be honest with me Era, how long does Mysterio and Spidey keep on their helmet/mask? Does Peter actually fight this time? Or does he get ragdolled like in Homecoming?

Both have plenty of mask on and off.

Spidey fights a ton with mask on, and the action is very much improved over Homecoming, especially in the climactic battle. I thought he was badass.

KrAzEd

Oct 27, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Had a slow start, but it ramped up big time and the visual effects were great. Loved the world trotting aspect as well. My only real gripe was that speech Mysterio gave to his peeps after obtaining EDITH. Super awkward.

Trafalgar Law

Nov 6, 2017
i liked the movie
but the tony jnr thing is kinda tiring
very very tiring, like they even tied responsibility to tony even
and how uncle ben doesn't even feel like he exists

the first mephisto fight that ends with the train is incredible , amazing fight

ManaByte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
Screenshot_20190702-212214.png

Luke_wal

Oct 25, 2017
I thought the early Mysterio fights seemed a little flat, and that it seemed like he wasn't being totally genuine: the twist totally paid all of that off. It was like a better version of Captain Marvel, where "she was acting flat" was (rightfully) justified by story reasons, except they don't have her be who she actually is until most of the way through the movie. Here, we get enough of "real" Mysterio to make me feel better about the twist and the early flatness.

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
Tony Stark's death is still fresh. Also, all this Tony Stark imagery and stuff keeps getting thrown in his face.

There is a multiverse, as confirmed in Doctor Strange and Endgame. Just because Beck lied about it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Happy's code was child's play. Like, way too easy to figure out.

Fury was not Fury.

The chumps are disgruntled former Stark employees looking to get some money and power of their own. They felt like Stark stepped on them to achieve what he did, so they are taking their rightful place. And also getting rich.

They were always going to kill people. They already had with the previous elementals.

Were there any "Aunt May is hot" jokes this time? It was more "Aunt May is secretly dating Happy" jokes. Plus, she doesn't do nothing. They have her heading up a charity for those that are displaced and homeless after returning from the blip. Seems like a big deal to me.

The spider-sense has, in most incarnations, been a warning of imminent danger, whether in a general sense or directly feeding Spidey's reflexes so he can dodge bullets and shit. A banana is not imminent danger.

The Fury in London was not part of the illusion. That's why Beck tried to kill him. The Fury that picked up Peter so Peter could expose Mysterio was fake, however.

I mean the Earth 616 angling and such. Endgame established different timelines sure but this movie ended up teasing more in trailers, but it ended up being fake. Again, for now.

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
They outright say that the last time they saw him he was a kid.

I thought they said he was small like a kid or something? Why would they even all know him if he was not part of their class?

I could have just misheard that part.

I think Pete's rival was from a much earlier grade pre-snap, otherwise he would be in college already.

That's assuming the world and stuff like college admissions actually moved on during the snap, and from what we saw in Endgame that barely seemed to be the case.

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
I thought the early Mysterio fights seemed a little flat, and that it seemed like he wasn't being totally genuine: the twist totally paid all of that off. It was like a better version of Captain Marvel, where "she was acting flat" was (rightfully) justified by story reasons, except they don't have her be who she actually is until most of the way through the movie. Here, we get enough of "real" Mysterio to make me feel better about the twist and the early flatness.

Man I thought Mysterio sucked hard at first. All he was doing was flying and shooting lasers and it took me out of the movie a bit. Then the twist hit and the rebound was EXTREME. Did not expect the following sequences to be as great as they were.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I thought they said he was small like a kid or something? Why would they even all know him if he was not part of their class?

In the opening sequence, they use him as an example of those who were not part of the snap grew older. They explicitly say he was five years younger than them beforehand.

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The problem with the reveal is that Peter has been so woefully inept at keeping his identity a secret.

THErest

Oct 25, 2017
I mean the Earth 616 angling and such. Endgame established different timelines sure but this movie ended up teasing more in trailers, but it ended up being fake. Again, for now.

I'm just saying, have comfort that the multiverse does exist, even if it wasn't explored here and also, umm, you trusted Mysterio, why did you do that?

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can Peter even go to school anymore? What's the point of a young dude playing him if school is off the table. I'd assume not, given the theme and cast of last two films. Will the school be maximum security now?

Why couldn't he still go to school? The world finding out that Parker is Spidey won't really change anything considering he lives in a world with dozens of superheroes that don't even have secret identities. His day to day life might become more complicated but its not like he has to stop being Peter Parker now.

Nobody would be stupid enough to attack his school, either, because he'd just flatten them. Spidey is still the kid that's physically stronger than Cull Obsidian and even gave Thanos a few good kicks, remember, and he should have SHIELD's backing and support too. Especially if his identity is known to the world.

He'll be fine.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
So yeah, saw this last night and mostly loved it. My issues with the film mostly stem from how Spidey has been handled in the MCU so far, I know we've had other non-MCU spidey movies that pushed the origins and starting small but it feels like he's been pushed too far too soon in the MCU. Like he's already got Stark level tech and money/funding and can build whatever he wants out of whatever he wnats instead of having to scrounge up stuff while in high school.

But yeah, the film was great, the humour hit, every character was great, MJ really felt a lot better here compared to homecoming. I'm so happy with Mysterio, everything was perfect. I LOVED how he had a mocap suit for his CG suit to be projected on to and had the "hero" suit for closeups and face to face meetings. I love how deceptive he was and I love how they used all the tech to make "real" threats from the illusions. I also love how one of my issues, that they could just run some kind of background check on Beck and realise he was an actual guy from their Earth, was fixed by that Fury and Hill being Skrulls so they weren't as competent as the real ones.

Mind blown at the post credits stuff though, revealing Spider-Man's identity so soon? AND getting JK Simmons back!? I mean, when you hit perfect casting it doesn't make sense to downgrade. And Fury in space? Are they setting up S.W.O.R.D. with Fury as the head? Some huge bombshells dropped in these post credits scenes.

MistaTwo

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
In the opening sequence, they use him as an example of those who were not part of the snap grew older. They explicitly say he was five years younger than them beforehand.

He was the example used on the school tv program?
I guess I missed that part or didn't connect it when he shows up macking on MJ.

So are we then to believe that the american public school system managed to get their shit together post snap in a span of months so that Brad got a full 5 years of schooling before the blip?

If so that might be the single most unbelievable plot point in a movie ever.
:p

Omnicore

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver
Anyone else find whatever family issues they were trying to allude to with Flash weird?

You get a glimpse of it during a text message Peter can see with the glasses on the bus and then most notably the chauffeur that picks him up at the airport and his disappointment that his mom didn't come.

They were so minuscule and served no plot point except possibly fleshing out his character for something in the future? Yet they were almost a blink and you'll miss it type scenes so why even bother.

If there's one character beat I'm kind of sad got skipped over (though I understand that given that these movies take place years apart and have significant intervening events happening, so that's somewhat inevitable), it's Peter already being interested in Michelle at the start of the movie. In Homecoming she was the one who was secretly interested in him, whereas he didn't think about her in that way.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

So are we then to believe that the american public school system managed to get their shit together post snap in a span of months so that Brad got a full 5 years of schooling before the blip?

I mean...yeah? Believable or not if you watched that first part it explicitly shows the school acting normal during the snap and during the time they came back. And secondly, it's not a public school. It's a private school for exceptionally gifted students. So yeah probably that one school did a better job of getting its shit together.

OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else find whatever family issues they were trying to allude to with Flash weird?

You get a glimpse of it during a text message Peter can see with the glasses on the bus and then most notably the chauffeur that picks him up at the airport and his disappointment that his mom didn't come.

They were so minuscule and served no plot point except possibly fleshing out his character for something in the future? Yet they were almost a blink and you'll miss it type scenes so why even bother.

It's not necessarily about the future. It's about him acting out on social media because he's neglected at home, which as it turns out was helpful for Spider-Man, so that it's not merely a lucky coincidence that he was live streaming every part of the trip. It directly served the plot.

Jest

Oct 28, 2017

You're not the only one to notice. Though there are some differing opinions about those scenes. I'm of the mind that it's possible groundwork for future character development.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017

I was thinking that maybe she's an important character in this universe. Like a different take on Osborne or maybe a female Doc Ock like we got in Spider-Verse. I hope that's what they're going for anyway.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017

It's just a little character moments to give context to why he acts the way he does. It isn't necessarily there to setup some future stuff.

Rich Kid parents don't give him enough attention, therefore he desires the attention of everyone.

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
I'm just saying, have comfort that the multiverse does exist, even if it wasn't explored here and also, umm, you trusted Mysterio, why did you do that?

He could've been bullshitting but that aspect could've been real. Don't get me wrong btw I loved the twist. I like how they handled it here where the Earth 616 was just some shit they made up to fool everyone. That was dope.

BojTrek

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago

It was not weird in my eyes... and yes, it was character building. They were small 'blips' but it possibly shows why he treats Peter the way he does. Flash does not get the love he needs at home. So, he streams videos to get instant 'likes' that he desperately wants at home. He starving for attention, I like the little character building scenes.

Drakken

Oct 28, 2017
Found this to be a nice bit of silly fun after Infinity War + Endgame; was a welcome change of pace.

Enjoyed Gyllenhaal, though I agree with other posts I've seen here about him and his dynamic with Peter being more interesting/compelling in the first half of the movie.

Loved the surprise JK appearance. Makes sense to update him for the Infowars era.

In terms of major progressions, glad we got the MJ relationship and the identity reveal. Will be interesting to see how they handle each of those going forward.

Going from watching Zendaya in Euphoria over the weekend to this was a bit of a whiplash.

Ha, exactly this. Funny to see such totally different high school age depictions back-to-back.

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
The thing is, Flash being on social media constantly doesn't need explaining. It's not like it's rare for young people to be immersed in social media.

Omnicore

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver
It's not necessarily about the future. It's about him acting out on social media because he's neglected at home, which as it turns out was helpful for Spider-Man, so that it's not merely a lucky coincidence that he was live streaming every part of the trip. It directly served the plot.

Oh no, I completely put two and two together but they could have left out those tiny family issue scenes and it wouldn't change anything at all. He's a 16-year old kid livestreaming, has a lot of followers and is a Spider-man fan, there's nothing about that that's "acting out" because he has family issues. The family issues button has to serve more of a purpose or why even bother.

MistaTwo

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I mean...yeah? Believable or not if you watched that first part it explicitly shows the school acting normal during the snap and during the time they came back. And secondly, it's not a public school. It's a private school for exceptionally gifted students. So yeah probably that one school did a better job of getting its shit together.

I would hope the ":p" at the end would be a tell that I am just being silly devils advocate.

But really I dunno, it does clash a bit with how we are shown the snap in Endgame, which is even at the back end of the Snap.

The logistical nightmare of half your staff and student body disappearing isn't really something you can just throw private school donor money at.

ManaByte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California

If so that might be the single most unbelievable plot point in a movie ever.
:p

Midtown Science isn't a public school. It's one of those academies that has both elementary school and high school in the same building.

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
Can Peter even go to school anymore? What's the point of a young dude playing him if school is off the table. I'd assume not, given the theme and cast of last two films. Will the school be maximum security now?

It's not like he was really in school this movie. It was a class trip but there wasn't much school activity. Hell one of the teachers brings that up. Also I don't think it matters much, it's fine if the plot escalates enough to go in a different direction and just seeing how that character (and his classmates) handles it.

Btw the ending with the PP reveal kind of reminded me of the end of John Wick 2

Also I liked how Mysterio was basically the anti Tony Stark/reverse Edith. Assuming Mysterio is actually dead. Even dead I'm the villain.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
If there's one character beat I'm kind of sad got skipped over (though I understand that given that these movies take place years apart and have significant intervening events happening, so that's somewhat inevitable), it's Peter already being interested in Michelle at the start of the movie. In Homecoming she was the one who was secretly interested in him, whereas he didn't think about her in that way.

Who's Michelle? :p

alundra311

Oct 25, 2017
Movie was amazing. Loved the action sequences in this compared to Homecoming. After all that Mysterio did, I really wanted Spidey to beat him up. Too bad it didn't happen. LOL.

Even though I like the movie, I just hate how they made this version of Spider-Man reliant on Stark tech instead of being his own thing. Now it seems they're pushing Spider-Man to be the next Iron Man. I get that Iron Man is popular and that he kickstarted the MCU, but I really don't want him shoved into Spider-Man. Just my gripe with MCU Spider-Man.

MistaTwo

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Midtown Science isn't a public school. It's one of those academies that has both elementary school and high school in the same building.

Yeah, I guess we just never spend enough time at the school to see that. Do we see younger kid extras in the hallway shots at least?

I guess Brad threw me off because he doesn't look like he caught up to them. He just straight up looks older than everyone in the class.

Like he should be Tobey's classmate, not Holland's. Lol

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
Movie was amazing. Loved the action sequences in this compared to Homecoming. After all that Mysterio did, I really wanted Spidey to beat him up. Too bad it didn't happen. LOL.

Even though I like the movie, I just hate how they made this version of Spider-Man reliant on Stark tech instead of being his own thing. Now it seems they're pushing Spider-Man to be the next Iron Man. I get that Iron Man is popular and that he kickstarted the MCU, but I really don't want him shoved into Spider-Man. Just my gripe with MCU Spider-Man.

Tbh it didn't feel like the Stark tech was super relevant in this movie. If anything it was just there to give him a new suit fast enough. Other than that though all the powers he showcases in the action scenes were just his own ability.

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
Did anyone else find it funny that in Spiderman video games if a train hits you it's a game over, but in this movie though he just got some cuts?