• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Scrooge McDuck

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
In-universe, who is actually giving all these numbers? Like, is there an entity/organization actually going to different universes and go "oh let's call this 616, and that 833".

Oct 27, 2017
So...why does Spider-Man call him Mysterio? I guess we are to assume that Mysterio has already been given that name by the press?

thefit

Oct 25, 2017
What if... Fury is an illusion also 🤔

Fury is kinda a total rube, can't see Hydra right under his nose and now getting scammed by a total con. Anyway the reason all the realities are 616 is because they are all 616 but different dimensions. MCU is the top layer universe as live organic third dimension, Comic is the second dimension and spiderverse intersects both dimensions as animated third dimension.

Poyunch

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't Ultimate Mysterio end up being some robot controlled and/or actually the 616 Mysterio that happened to be universe hopping? I can still see this happening with this Mysterio being aware of 616 and the MCU as Earth-19999. He could just be lying about MCU being 616.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't the comic canon 616?
It also means that Peter in MCU is Peter B Parker in Spiderverse

Didn't Ultimate Mysterio end up being some robot controlled and/or actually the 616 Mysterio that happened to be universe hopping? I can still see this happening with this Mysterio being aware of 616 and the MCU as Earth-19999. He could just be lying about MCU being 616.
why pick that number lol

refusi0n1

Oct 27, 2017
NOTE: A universe is a single-dimension reality, such as Earth-616. The Multiverse is the collection of alternate dimensions with a similar nature and universal hierarchy. Earth-616 and alternate Earths seen in the MU (which include beings like the Watcher, Eternity, etc.) are within the same Multiverse. Realms lacking this hierarchy of power are outside of the Multiverse, but within the larger Omniverse. Further, the realms with a Multiverse are divided into divergent earths, who share a common history and diverge at a specific point, and alternate Earths, who are similar, but possess many inherent differences. The Ominiverse is the collection of every single universe, dimension, etc. Everything is in the Ominiverse, and there is only one Ominiverse. Within the Ominiverse, collections of associated realms from different Multiverses are referred to as Megaverses.
https://www.marvel.com/characters/living-tribunal

Deleted member 426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait people think the MCU is an alternative dimension to the comics? It's a movie adaptation of the comics.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
....I just realized. "Far From Home"

I bet Spidey is going to visit one of those other worlds.

Oct 25, 2017
Louisville, Kentucky
The main earth we've been following in the movies can be 616 within the multiverse that is the MCU, just like the main earth we follow in the comics is 616 in the comics.

We didn't freak out about Into The Spider-Verse being set in Earth 1610 despite clearly not being the same as the comics' Earth 1610. It's fine, y'all. It's fine. It literally just means that this is the MCU's equivalent of the main Earth and timeline. It's fine.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think 616 proves he is on some bullshit

Yep, the question being : How in the world did he trick Fury of all people into buying it? On the other hand, while his outfit is literally an amalgam of the Avengers, his green myst does have Doctor Strange like symbology.

Honestly I pretty much don't like this twist. True or false, it seems needless, convoluted, and likely only exist to move pieces on the MCU board, if true.

Last edited:

Mekanos

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 17, 2018
I'm just a basic man. I just want spider man to fight street level guys. No need for reality hoping and altering in Spider-Man.

Spider-Man deals with insane bullshit, like, all the time.

spider-man-portal-punch-700x526.jpg

1028039-amazing_spiderman_270_21.jpg

marvel-two-in-one.jpg

5175193-1827512418-qcbQ2.jpg

Seriously, I'm pretty sure Spider-Man has fought nearly every major Marvel villain (and some heroes!) at this point.

BigDes

Knows Too Much
Oct 25, 2017
So Mysterio is full of shit about the multiverse? That would stink
It's probably a nod to nerds to show he's lying about stuff

He's lying about this (or the script got it wrong) at the very least. The MCU is Earth-199999

Earth-616 is the mainline comics continuity.

Blackage

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Marvel never lies in their trailers/tease and Mysterio is a totally honest character. I don't understand the confusion!

Deleted member 49482

Banned
Nov 8, 2018
It's probably a nod to nerds to show he's lying about stuff

He's lying about this (or the script got it wrong) at the very least. The MCU is Earth-199999

Earth-616 is the mainline comics continuity.

I wonder how much people will freak out if the MCU elects to use an Earth-616 designation for their "prime" universe too?

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
To me this is a clear indication and nod directly from the writers or whoever that Mysterio is making it up.

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
MĂ©xico
The main earth we've been following in the movies can be 616 within the multiverse that is the MCU, just like the main earth we follow in the comics is 616 in the comics.
There seems to be a comic canon and a movie canon. It makes sense for them to both be 616 because they are different mediums. The MCU is the real canon of all that is film.
That's... not how it works. The MCU is already in the multiverse the comics take place in. Has a designated Earth number and everything.

Scrooge McDuck

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That's... not how it works. The MCU is already in the multiverse the comics take place in. Has a designated Earth number and everything.
Seriously, who gives these designation? Let's assume that Mysterio is actually a dimension-hopper and is completely on the up-and-up. He found a new universe and decided to name it "616". Who taps him on the shoulder and says "no, ser, 616 is already taken"?

Can't the MCU be "Earth Dimension 616" anyway from the point of view of its residents?

(this is an honest question, by the way. Is there an in-universe arbitrator of these stuff?)

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
its probably just the mcu splitting from the comics and being there own thing

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

But how do we explain these then?

616 was previously referenced in Thor: The Dark World.
erik-selvig-stellan-skarsgrd-in-thor-the-dark-world-2013.jpeg

Spider-Verse did the same thing.

MVGgHGZ.jpg

Him saying 616 isn't indicative of anything. Not that Mysterio isn't lying anyway.

samb_rules

Jan 16, 2018
I'm betting he's lying but there's some after credits scene revealing a rift or something confirming the existence of another 'verse. Though I wouldn't be all that surprised if this is a double bluff on Marvel's part, I'll be happy as long as Mysty has some kinda heel turn.