• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 62282

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 18, 2019
I feel like Spicy in America is basically lazy compared to the rest of the world where you get heat but can still taste the flavors: Asian and Indian hot is yummy! Glorified Tabasco hot sauce not so much. In "American" restaurants it's mostly hot sauce and boutique gmo peppers that look great on Social Media authentic Authentic Latin American peppers excluded not the pickled Jalapeño shit you get on ballpark nachos.

Come to LA though and you will taste the world of spice! Not ducking Guy Fierri's version of deep fried carnival food with hot sauce.

There is a limit to how hot a curry can be before it's just a tasteless bowl of spiciness with no real distinguishable flavors.

I enjoy spicy foods but it's fascinating when some people complain that their tastes buds aren't dying from excess capsaicin

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm in Chicago and there of course is definitely spicy food here. any Indian restaurant, plenty of taquerias. probably my go too when I want something really spicy is Green Leaf Thai, their spiciness levels are Thai spicy. the "medium" there is plenty hot, if I take it a step above I'm sweating.

but you said you meant like, American food specifically. So I'm thinking burgers, pizza, sandwiches. Searching for examples of those that are supposed to be spicy Chicago has a number that usually have some kick. the nashville hot chicken at The Roost or Parson's has heat. Bad Apple has a burger with some heat.
Tacos are as much of an american food as pizza is.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
Probably just the mathematics of selling something to a crowd of people who come from all sorts of backgrounds and have different levels of tolerance.

I agree that when I order something labeled spicy, even at a Mexican or Chinese restaurant, it will not be hot at all while everyone around me is dying. Just comes with living in the Midwest I guess.

Chasex

Oct 29, 2017
Spiciness is relative. I'm from the Midwest and was raised eating midwestern food. Before I moved to Texas and built some tolerance a Jalapeño would ruin me.

Meanwhile there always has to be that obnoxious blowhard who says "oh it's not that spicy", while you are dying from the heat. Like fuck you buddy, if we switched positions you'd be dying too. It's all relative. Building a tolerance isn't some manly thing or mean you're tough either. It's a stupid ass thing to decide to compete on.

Oct 30, 2017
It doesn't take much effort to actually find spicy food.

Most stuff is made for general consumption. So naturally, a lot of things that claim to be spicy are still meant for people who only enjoy a modest amount of spice.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I feel like Spicy in America is basically lazy compared to the rest of the world where you get heat but can still taste the flavors: Asian and Indian hot is yummy! Glorified Tabasco hot sauce not so much. In "American" restaurants it's mostly hot sauce and boutique gmo peppers that look great on Social Media authentic Authentic Latin American peppers excluded not the pickled Jalapeño shit you get on ballpark nachos.

Come to LA though and you will taste the world of spice! Not ducking Guy Fierri's version of deep fried carnival food with hot sauce.
I really don't think you can talk about "American cuisine" with such broad generalizations. And like, LA is America, no?
I also think people shit on tabasco waaaaay too much. It's fine not to like that Louisiana style vinegar based hot sauce, your taste is your own and you like what you like, but someone need to explain to me what's so wrong about that version of it.

Also, Guy Fieri makes delicious food and I will die on that hill.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
It doesn't take much effort to actually find spicy food.

Most stuff is made for general consumption. So naturally, a lot of things that claim to be spicy are still meant for people who only enjoy a modest amount of spice.
OP needs to stop being lazy and looking at only Walmart or a gas station for stuff. The hottest pepper in the world is from the USA

SlipperyMoose

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think it's easy to pickup something that is labeled as spicy in America but really isn't that hot but to say spicy food in America is rarely ever hot is a bit of a generalization. You're going to the wrong places.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I'm willing to bet dollar to dime what you are calling "mexican" is actually texmex or calimex (i.e. american food) and not actually mexican food.
Nah he's in Chicago. He's getting the real shit. They're just not offering hotter sauces. Given how unpopular those super-hot options are, it's no surprise that restaurants don't stock them. You don't invest money into shit nobody really wants outside of a niche community. Some will stock, some will not.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Spicy snobs are the worst. The US has plenty of spicy food, you just have to go to the kinds of places that focus on it.

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Nah he's in Chicago. He's getting the real shit. They're just not offering hotter sauces. Given how unpopular those super-hot options are, it's no surprise that restaurants don't stock them. You don't invest money into shit nobody really wants outside of a niche community.

Texmex is the standard mainstream "Mexican" food nationwide though.

S_Dev

Oct 26, 2017
I'm in a major Midwest city, and we have some Thai places that will rip you up, along with a few good Nashville style chicken places that will get up there in the heat. The only thing I can't find out here is good, spicy Mexican food. Had some really good "pick a number" spicy Mexican food on the west coast, been chasing the dragon ever since.

MrMephistoX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really don't think you can talk about "American cuisine" with such broad generalizations. And like, LA is America, no?
I also think people shit on tabasco waaaaay too much. It's fine not to like that Louisiana style vinegar based hot sauce, your taste is your own and you like what you like, but someone need to explain to me what's so wrong about that version of it.

Also, Guy Fieri makes delicious food and I will die on that hill.

I'm talking about "American" grill and bar type deep fried shit you'd find at Hooters or Applebee's not authentic food immigrants have brought to places like LA.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Texmex is the standard mainstream "Mexican" food nationwide though.
I'm sure all restaurants have a mix to appease the crowd who have never experienced anything BUT texmex, but it really depends on the restaurant, fam. Plenty of restaurants have *the real shit* on their menus as well, and all of those big midwestern cities have ample Mexican populations. No half-stepping allowed with those communities.

eg from close to home: https://www.dontequilabarandgrill.net/pages/menu-amherst-elyria

yea there's some texmex stuff here, but the more you scroll, the more it's like, yep...the real shit is available here. lol

White folks thinking black pepper is spicy.
tenor.gif

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure all restaurants have a mix to appease the crowd who have never experienced anything BUT texmex, but it really depends on the restaurant, fam. Plenty of restaurants have *the real shit* on their menus, and all of those big midwestern cities have ample Mexican populations. No half-stepping allowed with those communities.

I very much doubt he's eating, like, goat in chicago.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
A lot of people find that "it isn't spicy!!!!111!" food spicy. Not everyone needs 100,000 scovilles to just feel the burn. Even then, if you want the taste of pain you can find it easy especially in America.

Xterrian

Apr 20, 2018
Yeah, I'm not exactly sure what you're looking for OP. If you want someone to fuck you up with spice, you can definitely find it. Up here in the tippy-top of Pennsylvania there are restaurants that will absolutely fuck your entire day up if you ask them to.
Im not into spicy food, though some of my friends are. Can you name a couple places as examples? We're in NEPA so unless it's right by Lake Erie they could probably make the trip.

Oct 27, 2017
im always dissappointed when i buy stuff that is supposed to be hot. like do they make this stuff for people who think onions are spicy? its pathetic
There's absolutely no way to generalize this. It varies by an insane amount depending on where you are, if it's a supermarket product and what brand, if it's a restaurant chain or local spot, if it's ethnic food, etc. Too many variables

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I mean, goat isn't the only path to authenticity either.

Half of my family is Mexican (half of that half is and has always lived in Mexico). Ask me how many times anyone cooked or ordered goat.

It's kinda like using chitterlings as your standard-bearer for authentic african american cuisine. Like sure you can guarantee that would be authentic...but that shit will never pass my black lips, so what then? lol

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm talking about "American" grill and bar type deep fried shit you'd find at Hooters or Applebee's not authentic food immigrants have brought to places like LA.
Casual dinning chains just aren't that great, but they're not the first thing I think of when I think of American cuisine.
And everything in the US outside Native American cuisine is going to be immigrant food, and that's the beauty of it.
LA is a perfect example of it. I think LA is one of the greatest food cities in the world, but not because you can get get dishes there that are prepared very similarly to how they're made in other countries (though you obviously have that in LA too). I love it because it's a city where Korean and Mexicans can join forces and give us the greatest dish of the 21 century - the kimchi taco (change my mind.jpg).

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
The point is, I don't believe at all this guy is eating Mexican food, judging from his posts.
could be, yea. I just know that there is plenty of *da real shit* in Chicago. Whether he is a patron of those establishments and ordering from *that side* of the menu is anyone's guess. But access shouldn't be an issue.

You're telling me you can't order Fajitas in Chicago?
You absolutely can. Any restaurant -- authentic or not -- would be foolish to NOT have texmex somewhere on the menu because that's all your average person knows. I don't think I've been to an authentic restaurant for any culture that didn't have *some* americanized variants of ethnic food. I'd really have to think about that, though.

andrew

Oct 25, 2017
aaaactually he might be. I could get birra 5 blocks from my apartment, or some real deal al pastor or tongue. and I live on the NW side not even in the neighborhoods where you can't trip without falling into a true taqueria like little village. Chicago's has a plentiful mexican population and they make actual regional specialties.

sorry but you're straight up wrong and don't know the city.
Tacos are as much of an american food as pizza is.
in the texmex or calimex versions sure but tacos in chicago are by and large served in more traditional forms.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
im always dissappointed when i buy stuff that is supposed to be hot. like do they make this stuff for people who think onions are spicy? its pathetic
Clearly you haven't been down South. Nashville hot is crazy hot. I usually stick with the first level of Hot for their food and it's hella strong.

Felt

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Even Wingstop has atomic hot and it's pretty damn spicy... so wtf is this thread for

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
could be, yea. I just know that there is plenty of *da real shit* in Chicago. Whether he is a patron of those establishments and ordering from *that side* of the menu is anyone's guess. But access shouldn't be an issue.

You absolutely can. Any restaurant -- authentic or not -- would be foolish to NOT have texmex somewhere on the menu because that's all your average person knows. I don't think I've been to an authentic restaurant for any culture that didn't have *some* americanized variants of ethnic food. I'd really have to think about that, though.

I think we might be arguing different things then. I'm not saying Chicago DOESN'T have authentic Mexican food, but I am claiming that A) Chicago isn't special in having the "real shit" and B) There's Texmex everywhere in America including Chicago.

I live in a very small rural mountain town in the Southeast, but we have a moderately sized Hispanic population. There are 3 Mexican restaurants, two of them are Texmex restaurants which also have some authentic stuff, both are VERY similar to that menu you posted, and one is an authentic Mexican place that has zero Texmex, you won't find a drop of sour cream in the whole place.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
aaaactually he might be. I could get birra 5 blocks from my apartment, or some real deal al pastor or tongue. and I live on the NW side not even in the neighborhoods where you can't trip without falling into a true taqueria like little village. Chicago's has a plentiful mexican population and they make actual regional specialties.

sorry but you're straight up wrong and don't know the city.
I have never lived in Chicago so I'm obviously far from an expert, but I had a lot of really great Mexican food there, and it wasn't by some extensive research to find the one none shitty place. Just the tried and true method of "this looks good" and "it's busy for a reason'" that have served me well all over the world.

I think it's just a phenomenal food city in general.

Frostinferno

Oct 25, 2017
Have you tried the Habanero version? It's a buck more but it's actually pretty hot. That small bottle lasts me a month.

I know Tab. gets shit on but their Habanero is killer and insanely tasty. I sometimes wish they would sell a less hot version just for the flavor lmao

Yeah I like their habanero much more. Not the tastiest habanero sauce though IMO.

Sriracha is spicy. It's not super spicy or unbearably hot, but it's a spicy sauce.

Most would agree, like I said. To me though It's like eating a sweet garlic paste. People's tolerance can go way above the level where sriracha even registers.

Oct 30, 2017
I'm sure these stores exist all over the world, but entire stores dedicated to just selling hot sauce still seem to gather a lot of foot traffic. Saw one in Nashville last year.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I think we might be arguing different things then. I'm not saying Chicago DOESN'T have authentic Mexican food, but I am claiming that A) Chicago isn't special in having the "real shit" and B) There's Texmex everywhere in America including Chicago.

I live in a very small rural mountain town in the Southeast, but we have a moderately sized Hispanic population. There are 3 Mexican restaurants, two of them are Texmex restaurants which also have some authentic stuff, both are VERY similar to that menu you posted, and one is an authentic Mexican place that has zero Texmex, you won't find a drop of sour cream in the whole place.
Gotcha. We're on the same page now. :-)

andrew

Oct 25, 2017
thread has me going to bed dreaming of the crispy tripa and tepache at La Chaparrita. 🔥
I have never lived in Chicago so I'm obviously far from an expert, but I had a lot of really great Mexican food there, and it wasn't by some extensive research to find the one none shitty place. Just the tried and true method of "this looks good" and "it's busy for a reason'" that have served me well all over the world.

I think it's just a phenomenal food city in general.
we're really spoiled here, it's true. there's all the fine dining stuff, but on top of that you do have a lot of authentic mexican and eastern european holes in the wall. it's hard to go wrong.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Go to lao sze chuan in downtown chicago and get the dry chili chicken (or any of their spicier stuff, but I really like that one). If that is bland for you, you must be breathing fire as a hobby
I don't remember if I ate there, but usually in Sichuan restaurants, ma po tofu is the spiciest dish on the menu.
There are exceptions I'm sure, but that's generally what I order when I'm in need of some serious heat (it's also just pretty great).

driveninhifi

Jun 7, 2018
I think the average person doesn't like stuff that's super spicy and most of the food we eat is loaded with sugar and salt so they aren't used to it anyway.

There are really really good hot sauces that are both really spicy and really tasty these days. So you can always carry around a contingency.