• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know what it is, maybe my luck has been bad, but so many of the places I've been eating at recently have either been disappointing or flat out bad. Went and got a burger and fries at this well reviewed place in my area for $14, and it was terrible. The worst part of it all is always getting that feeling you spent money on something that you didn't enjoy. I know it's a bad way of thinking, but the fact that that $14 could have gone towards something else, like picking up a new game, instead went towards something I disliked, really doubles down on the feeling of dissatisfaction that comes with the meal already.

What about you Era, any of y'all ever feel this way?

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's why fast food is popular among all sorts of people - the quality is meh and cheap, but it's at least very predictable and commonplace.

Oct 25, 2017
If you don't like a bad game you usually suffer through it for 2+ hours. Bad food is like 30 minutes so at least there's that.

I'm a picky eater, but I've been wanting to try new things. It's a risk that prevented me from trying new things before - "If i don't like it, I'll go home hungry" "I wasted $15 on this??".
I try to do some research, but as you mentioned that doesn't always work

Dec 13, 2017
I 100% agree OP. It's one of the worst feelings that's radically disproportionately 'bad feeling' considering all the other horrible things that can happen to you on any given day.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
Yep, I just got some Smashburger and they went way to overboard with the seasoning on the fries. Basically to the point where they weren't edible.

Oct 27, 2017
Moved to Etcetera

Yes, spending money just for food to be disappointing really sucks. Doubly worse when you can visually see how disappointing the meal will be. Sometimes food looks ok but there's something about it (too much salt, unexpected flavor, wrong texture, etc.) that will ruin it.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
this happened to me last week. i bought some chinese food from a new place because the place i usually go to was closed for the day. i wanted chinese for two days straight so i just took the risk of trying a new place. god i regreted it the moment i got my food. it smelled and tasted horrible. its like they used old oil to cook the food. the food even tasted like that cheap frozen chinese food you buy at the grocery store.

OP
OP
Oct 27, 2017
If you don't like a bad game you usually suffer through it for 2+ hours. Bad food is like 30 minutes so at least there's that.

I'm a picky eater, but I've been wanting to try new things. It's a risk that prevented me from trying new things before - "If i don't like it, I'll go home hungry" "I wasted $15 on this??".
I try to do some research, but as you mentioned that doesn't always work

That is true, but at least you can resell the game if you bought it physically.

But I definitely encourage you to try new things! Different foods are great, and honestly, it's less so what they are that can be bad and more so how they're prepared.

OP
OP
Oct 27, 2017
Moved to Etcetera

Yes, spending money just for food to be disappointing really sucks. Doubly worse when you can visually see how disappointing the meal will be. Sometimes food looks ok but there's something about it (too much salt, unexpected flavor, wrong texture, etc.) that will ruin it.

Oops, didn't see it in the gaming side. Sorry and thanks!

And oh man, the visual aspect sometimes drives that terrible sentiment home.

OP
OP
Oct 27, 2017
I 100% agree OP. It's one of the worst feelings that's radically disproportionately 'bad feeling' considering all the other horrible things that can happen to you on any given day.

I think that feeling comes from the fact that, well, you need food every day. So for such an essential component of your day, one thats should be a great part of it, to not actually be good, can really sour someone.

Dec 6, 2017
US
Going out to eat and going for the 'adventure' of not picking the same delicious shit you always have only to have your new choice suck...the Dark Souls of restaurant experiences, clearly.

I always get tricked by wanting to 'try something new' and end up lusting for my trusty favorite instead.

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You could have made 3 or 4 burgers at home for the same cost that you probably would have enjoyed more.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Or when you take your friends to go eat at a place you really like and they end up disliking it.

Deleted member 29676

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Getting more comfortable sending things back helps. When things aren't seasoned right or cooked poorly you shouldn't hesitate. When it is just something you don't like it is a little trickier but most places will let you get something else instead. Just remember to leave a good tip.

Cocolina

Oct 28, 2017
I'm a good cook so my expectations are always low when I eat out and I'm therefore rarely disappointed. My worst experience was buying ingredients that went bad the next day or far before their apparent expiry date.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Completely agree OP. That's precisely why on the odd occasion I do go out, 9 times out of 10 it's somewhere I have been before and liked.

kaf

Technical Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I'm more inclined to look through Yelp when the menu items get pricier to see what the food looks like, and anything people point out to be bad.

Chivalry

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Nov 22, 2018
Yep. I always feel so disappointed when it happens, especially if it's something expensive.

Deleted member 33887

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 20, 2017
I walked to the store in the cold, and I decided onion bagels looked amazing. I got home and tried one, and it was the most underwhelming thing I've had in a while. I don't even like onion bagels, and it was still the most disappointing thing in my day.

Dec 6, 2017
US
I walked to the store in the cold, and I decided onion bagels looked amazing. I got home and tried one, and it was the most underwhelming thing I've had in a while. I don't even like onion bagels, and it was still the most disappointing thing in my day.

Man, you need some fresh 6AM in NYC onion bagels in your life just once...mmmmmmmmm

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
I was having a farewell lunch with my old company acouple weeks back. We went to this pub we usually go to, and they have really good budgers/fries. The waitress says their special today is this grilled cheese, and I say "fuck it" and decide to try it.

Now I have had some quality grilled cheese. Like one of my favorite places in the city does their grilled cheese like:

Burgoo-Grilled-cheese-002.jpg

When I think "today's special", I think it is probably gonna be pretty alright. Instead, I get the most poverty-ass grilled cheese on wonder bread and two slices of barely melted American cheese. The bread hardly shows any sign of browning, and it barely even resembles "warm". Not tasting any butter. They handed me a fucking pre-schooler's cheese sandwich.

That was some disappointing shit. I may as well have made it myself.

laminated

Oct 28, 2017
Yes especially when you know you can make it better for a lot less money than you're paying. There are certain dishes I almost never order at a takeaway unless they have an established reputation for making it well. They're all very simple.

1. fried rice
2. bolognese
3. fettuccine alfredo
4. grilled cheese sandwich

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
Agreed. I'll take Chick Fil A over most expensive meals because the value per dollar is through the roof for me.

PantherLotus

Oct 27, 2017
OP I am with you 100%. One of the most identifiable feelings ever and I knew instantly the gut punch you were describing.

"I could have gone to Taco Bell 4 times for that and had a pop to go home, too." <-- I've said this too many times at too many a mediocre expensive restaurant. Expensive food is W A Y overrated.

I think the answer (privilege incoming!) is to just cook better, more wholesome, more exotic things at home. Fills you up at a better price, tasting great, and feels good too. Highly rec.

OP
OP
Oct 27, 2017
Yes especially when you know you can make it better for a lot less money than you're paying. There are certain dishes I almost never order at a takeaway unless they have an established reputation for making it well. They're all very simple.

1. fried rice
2. bolognese
3. fettuccine alfredo
4. grilled cheese sandwich

Your list reminded me that I don't order pastas based dishes because I feel like they're easier and cheaper to make myself, and often, I make it better than how other places would have prepared them.

laminated

Oct 28, 2017
Your list reminded me that I don't order pastas based dishes because I feel like they're easier and cheaper to make myself, and often, I make it better than how other places would have prepared them.

You probably do make it better. And I feel silly for admitting this, but I only just started making my own tomato sauce. Normally I'd buy a jar of Rao's, a very high quality sauce for store bought, but it's expensive as fuck. But I thought making a good tomato sauce was complicated. It's really not. I found a recipe online from Daniel Holzman that served as a nice canvas for building my own recipe and haven't looked back.

Fright Zone

Dec 17, 2017
London
I rarely am disappointed when I eat out, but just generally dislike spending a lot of money eating out because it feels like a frivolous way to spend money when I can make food at home for a quarter of the price.
So when I do eat out I like to have food that I can't make so well at home like Japanese or Indian, and stay away from pasta and such.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
Agree, OP. and when it's fast food, it's even worse than worse. Because fast food isn't cheap anymore, and they don't give a shit about presentation, and you know it isn't healthy.

It's just an impetus to shop for groceries and cook simple stuff and eat it.

Mr. X

Oct 25, 2017
I feel you on this OP.

If you look disappointed and say you are, sometimes they'll take it back and offer to let order a different item without charge.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
It's 100x worse when you go out to eat with people, even though you can't actually afford to, and the food is disappointing. It stings.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
Has happened to me before, yeah it sucks. End of the day, one of the many reasons to cook yourself.

LordGorchnik

Oct 30, 2017
Any pasta dish can absolutely almost 100% be made better on your own following a simpler recipe or slightly tailoring it for your tastes. I probably save $1000+/yr easily because I make almost everything at home.

Creamie

Avenger
Nov 14, 2017
My entire day is ruined if I get a small piece of chicken in my Chick-Fil-A sandwich.

It also sucks if you get the same thing as someone else, but theirs looks 10x better.

Ashlette

Oct 28, 2017
Oh definitely. Fast food is so popular because it's cheap and consistent in quality. No risk involved.

TheLetdown

Oct 25, 2017
It definitely sucks. It's this combination of disappointment and anger.

Also, can we talk about the small miracle that occurred when this got posted in Gaming and somehow the first page isn't totally full of "LUL when's it coming to SWITCH" posts?

Baka Sempai

Oct 30, 2017
Worse is spending a bunch of money on a recipe only to ruin it.

You really hit the nail on the head with this one.

Buying a bunch of specialty items, some even very hard to get (international/seasonal) then spending a good two hours of prepping only for the dish to come out tasting like crap or not even coming out at all, .... DAMN nothing worse than feeling defeated and hungry

GodofWine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Has happened to me before, yeah it sucks. End of the day, one of the many reasons to cook yourself.

Came here to say this.

Cooking really tasty food is easy. The only food I now will (happily) pay for is some authentic asian cuisine because I dont keep a billion spices in my arsenal, and there is just some techniques and flavors there I cannot / will not reproduce. And Sushi.

I detest going out for Italian...its so easy to make good italian food at home. Not saying Im making 5 star cuisine, but good sauce, good meats, good comfort food style italian dinner, so simple to do.

Even mexican is so easy to make - we do 'tostada tuesday' (was taco tuesday, the kids like tostadas better now), season some ground 'insert meat of choice', some pintos, top with a little cheese, a little pico, a little plain greek yogurt, and a sprinkle of slaw, boom, dinner in 15 minutes.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
I can take the hit psychologically on a restaurant meal now and then, or something I buy at the grocery store. I just remember to never go to that restaurant ever again and it gives me some extra resentment to hold onto for life.

Funny, but when I do poorly at cooking I feel fucking terrible.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
It's one of the reasons I'm not very adventurous with restaurants. I hate buying something that turns out bad, and you're away from home so you just have to live with it. And you're hungry so you're probably gonna suck it up and eat it.

Mupod

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not one to complain or really give a shit, but I have noticed an alarming trend in my area. For a long time I stuck with the same burrito chain as they were very consistent and always good. But every time I try a different one, I somehow get someone who can't make a god damn burrito - and on top of that, all of them are more expensive. I mean, I can't fold a burrito to save my life, but that's not my job - it's why I'm going to Burrito Boyz and not making it at home.

First example - some place called Mumma's Burrito, I think it was. I order their biggest size of burrito and say put everything on it, like I do at my usual place. I see fear in the poor kid's eyes and he mangles that poor burrito so badly he has to start over because it explodes and falls apart. I'm the only one in the restaurant so I didn't mind waiting, but while he did finally manage to put one together it was a drippy mess by the time I got home.

A while later, a new burrito place opened right next to the supermarket I frequent - awesome! It was a bit pricier than I'd like but they had some toppings that I'd never tried before. Order my burrito and she put like, a quarter of a scoop of barbacoa in there and stacked it with everything else, then folded it wrong. Okay, whatever, maybe it was a fluke. I gave them another chance and went back - okay, normal amount of meat, and it looks like they managed to fold it correctly. Or so I thought. It seemed like it tasted a little odd and then I noticed they'd somehow managed to make a burrito where the filling was perfectly divided like Neapolitan ice cream. All the beans in the front, the meat in the middle, everything else in the back. I'll eat anything but that was bizarre.

I can go on, other places have had more boring problems like their burrito being tiny for the cost or taking forever. But yeah, I give up experimenting, sticking with the usual from now on.