• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Remachinate

Oct 27, 2017
Mat from USG here! Happy to answer some questions (no spoilers) about my review after I sip my coffee and finish a morning news hit.

Maybe this is too spoilery, but have you encountered anything that hints at secrets not related to the list of achievements? Just wondering if the endgame is all spelled out in the trophy list.

Grue

Sep 7, 2018
Slight tangent, but is there a reason Spelunky (the original) hasn't made its way to Switch yet?

I'll be honest, it got to the point where it reached my 'hold out for a port' list, and I still haven't touched the first game because I thought it'd be inevitable.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
It is SO hard to pull off a good sequel to an amazing game, so the fact Derek Yu has seemed to hit the home run here is nothing short of amazing. I say that, he's an incredibly considerate and clever developer. I highly recommend watching the no clip documentary on YouTube that covers Spelunky's development, super interesting.
Is the item/control system any different? I really hated how you could only hold 1 & use 1 item at a time in the first game.
It's a very deliberate aspect of the games design so I doubt it's change
Slight tangent, but is there a reason Spelunky (the original) hasn't made its way to Switch yet?

I'll be honest, it got to the point where it reached my 'hold out for a port' list, and I still haven't touched the first game because I thought it'd be inevitable.
It's a weird omission when Switch has basically every other "indie darling", but the game hasn't released on a non-Sony console since Xbox 360. The Xbox One didn't get a dedicated port either. Couple that with the fact Spelunky 2 is console exclusive for now, and it might have something to do with that.

Derek Yu has said he'd like to see it come to Switch, but so far all Spelunky ports have been handled by Mossmouth and I imagine they've been super busy with QA on Spelunky 2

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
My kids love it, but I can't say I ever quite warmed up to it.

All it makes me is want a remake of Rick Dangerous from the Amiga (which is probably just nostalgia talking).
tumblr_pwxye4qUFD1tuvwugo1_400.gifv
Oh wow, that GIF takes me right back. Loved that game so much.

Oct 26, 2017
Interesting they changed the default movement to running, It's already an option in (most versions of?) Spelunky HD, but having it on from the start should stop people complaining the game is too slow like some did of the first game.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Man I am definitely not staying up late... but getting up a few hours early tomorrow before work? Definitely tempting

Would be helpful if we could preload Sony

mathewolson

Aug 27, 2019
Maybe this is too spoilery, but have you encountered anything that hints at secrets not related to the list of achievements? Just wondering if the endgame is all spelled out in the trophy list.

I think so? The PC build I played didn't have achievements enabled, but after looking at those trophies I can say there's definitely stuff I've seen that's not referenced on the list. Also sort of wish I hadn't looked at the trophies, because they also name things that I haven't seen yet.

piratethingy

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Interesting they changed the default movement to running, It's already an option in (most versions of?) Spelunky HD, but having it on from the start should stop people complaining the game is too slow like some did of the first game.

Oh man IDK if I can do that. The muscle memory to hold RB/R1 is so ingrained.

Oct 26, 2017
Oh man IDK if I can do that. The muscle memory to hold RB/R1 is so ingrained.
I've always have it switched to run since they added the option, never using the walk button probably gets me killed sometimes I guess. I think I normally crawl if I want to explore slowly actually.
It's still a reversible option in Spelunky 2 so don't worry if you really want to hold R1.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Man, I am so excited to buy this tonight. Spelunky! It's been too long!

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
I think so? The PC build I played didn't have achievements enabled, but after looking at those trophies I can say there's definitely stuff I've seen that's not referenced on the list. Also sort of wish I hadn't looked at the trophies, because they also name things that I haven't seen yet.
Thanks, I'll avoid looking at trophies I think!

GearDraxon

Oct 25, 2017
Oh boy. I hope that there's an option to change the run/walk situation back to how it was in the original, or I am going to have a veeeery tough time.

GuEiMiRrIRoW

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Looks cool, but such a shame I despise rogue like games.... I HATE THEM SO MUCH. I would like to understand thehm though. The constant change of rooms is so frustanting that I can't have fun.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Shacknews (9/10):
Spelunky 2 is a treasure in every way, one you'll be glad you've discovered.

Attack of the Fanboy (4.5/5):
Spelunky 2 enhances and expands on what worked in the first game without "fixing" anything that wasn't broken. In that way it's the perfect sequel for fans who have been playing this game for over a decade. Newcomers might be scared away by the difficulty and seemingly impenetrable secrets, but the effort to get through this is well rewarded.

Guardian (4/5):
Perhaps it's a little safe in the way it goes about things, anxious not to lose that Spelunky magic by disrupting the familiar flow. But that spell hasn't worn off after 10 years. With its dastardly remixes of existing themes and a bunch of brilliant new additions, this will certainly replace Spelunky HD as the definitive cave-diving Derek Yu roguelike. I wouldn't change a thing – though some of my former turkey friends may have different feedback.

Last edited:

Check it out

Oct 25, 2017
Glad reviews are this good. Looks great and I can't wait. I was hoping to preload and noticed it's not even in the store yet.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
Ars's review is held up by a lack of online testing in the pre-release period. Here's my thoughts for now while another critic hammers away at text, Twitter thread:

if you ain't tweetin:

can't wait to see how it plays online, since many of the touched up systems seem to be with multi in mind. this feels more like an "open world" Spelunky without changing the core gameplay. PS4 pre-release version has some frame rate stutters, we hope those get fixed soon.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
On Base PS4 or PS4 Pro as well?

I only tested on Pro. Derek Yu was also gracious enough to provide us at Ars pre-release Steam keys (which is how I conducted tests on Parsec) before the PS4 version was ready for press. I've had zero issues running the Steam version at 4K. (No, that's not going into my RTX 3080 review this week.)

Muitnorts

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck yesss I can't wait. I've avoided getting too excited but the first is one of the best games ever I'm in full hype mode now.