• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Robbing in general raises the difficulty level a large degree.

I like the forgiveness mechanic at least.
It's so hard to resist! Especially when you see those tempting Bomb Boxes or multiple of them in better shops lol.

I still think it's a net positive. The biggest issue is the chaos it adds to your runs. Now you have to worry about these maniacs for the entire run, plus the new "outposts" mechanic lol.

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
I have R1 set to run. Is that the default? I remapped the controls and can't really remember what I changed at this point haha
No, R2 is the default. I hate triggers for running so I switched R1 and R2. It's the button you use to enter doors.

I have R1 set to run. Is that the default? I remapped the controls and can't really remember what I changed at this point haha

Also, how does shopkeeper forgiveness work? Two straight levels without killing them?

Killing is unforgiveable lol. Forgiveness is only for theft and you must avoid killing anymore shopkeepers, including the exit guardians. It's usually 2-3 levels I've noticed.

wideface

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hidamari Apartments
Tried the daily challenge and made it up to a dark Temple of Anubis where I got my ass handed to me. I had a rock dog, cape, spike boots, crown, and 20-something bombs. Enemies that teleport creep the hell out of me.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
janusff I'm dissapointed with you. The fact that you did not made avatars for the thread is trully a shame.
spelunky.png

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
If anyone would like a Spelunkyfied avatar please feel free to let me know and I'll do my best to make you one!

DJ88

Oct 26, 2017
Bombs and ropes give you so much freedom to choose your own route that it should be very rare to be forced into facing an unlucky setup head on.

Of course, these usually will provide an alternative, safer route. But there's still cases like this where it was the very bottom level, and going back up and down the other side led me to an equally shitty situation.

It just sucks when you take your time, are extra careful, collect a lot of life and items only to be royally screwed. At that point I'm not "learning" or "exploring" anything. I just flushed a bunch of time down the toilet.

Zocano

Oct 26, 2017
I need to practice robbing shops with little/no items. Def riskier this game but the slightly slower shopkeeper movement might balance it out. See some ppl do it pretty well with the baiting out with a bomb followed by a quick bop on the head but I haven't tried it too much myself.

doof_warrior

Oct 25, 2017
NJ
Lol yeah I got that to trigger once. Thought it was cool as hell

also I need to figure out the best way to rob the black market. Was so easy in the first game 😭
i have a pretty good strategy, but theres so many damn shop keepers hunting you the rest of the game, i stopped cuz it was too hard haha
www.twitch.tv

Twitch

Twitch is the world's leading video platform and community for gamers.

Rirse

Jun 29, 2019
Back on hating this game again. Just dying to a random droplet of lava is the worst. I would like this game this game more if the cave was more like the original where it pretty easy and mostly serves as a means to get powerup before entering stage 2. Now I dread doing the cave due to the awful mole rat and horn lizard and that stupid cave man boss and the horrible repetitive music. Sucks since I would skip with the shortcut but the lack of the jewel means no visiting the black market or dracula castle.

MeltedDreams

Oct 27, 2017
Doing first three levels and trying to get kapala and golden key after good run is infuriating experience. Moles/ lizards combo are some of the most annoying enemies in any game. I've been playing this since the launch and i'm confident this game was made to fuck up anyone who was decent at first Spelunky lol.

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
Doing first three levels and trying to get kapala and golden key after good run is infuriating experience. Moles/ lizards combo are some of the most annoying enemies in any game. I've been playing this since the launch and i'm confident this game was made to fuck up anyone who was decent at first Spelunky lol.

Those things are the worse. What's crazy is that are way more annoying than anything after that Biome.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
Got my first win. Spoilers for late game secret path/item stuff:
I still had excalibur and was tempted to try to keep going after beating Tiamat but I was poisoned so I decided not to press my luck and just lock in a regular clear. I didn't get the ankh that run though so it's possible my way would have been barred anyway. Please don't tell me anything!

This is a wonderful game and a fantastic sequel. I'm looking forward to trying to uncover more and more secrets. I feel like my time with this game is just beginning.

Last edited:

Deleted member 4367

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bat tech is way more important in 2 than HD. It was a weird curiosity in HD but here the hitbox seems way bigger above/behind your head than whipping forward.

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
The bug with the lack of the shortcut npc is really hurting my desire to play for a bit. Full runs are not something I am ready to do, need to work up to that through the smaller segmented runs.

Zocano

Oct 26, 2017
Bat tech is way more important in 2 than HD. It was a weird curiosity in HD but here the hitbox seems way bigger above/behind your head than whipping forward.

Ya I am almost consistently always trying to utilize it because I find it so much more reliable and pressing to use than when I needed to in Spelunky HD.

ThisOne

Oct 27, 2017
Anybody know if there's any consistency to secret shop locations? Sometimes I'll go into a door and it will connect to a secret shop with cheap stuff sold by the Moon Challenge lady. Sometimes I don't see it at all or it's much harder to access and requires bombs and stuff to get to. Anyone know?

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
Went back to play spelunky one... Wow it just worked a lot better lol. The whip was infinitely more useful.

Bananastand

Oct 26, 2017
The second challenge on the 3rd shortcut... how? Really, how in the world?
I found a trick that might work.

in 3-2 there is a giant fish. If you kill it a hired hand will pop out. I stole a shotgun from madam tusks bodyguard in 3-1.

that means you only need to get the hand through 2 levels.

SxP

Oct 27, 2017
I found a trick that might work.

in 3-2 there is a giant fish. If you kill it a hired hand will pop out. I stole a shotgun from madam tusks bodyguard in 3-1.

that means you only need to get the hand through 2 levels.

Thanks for that. I'll think I'll give that a try.

That requirement is the biggest BS I've seen in a while. I can consistently go from 1-4 to 4-1, but it's complete luck on whether or not the hired hand can survive even 5 seconds. Many many times I've seen them just jump into a lava pit 3 blocks wide, straight up suicide. And then when you finally get them through 2 levels to make them sleep at the start (which, again, is pure luck), there's still all this insta-kill potential...

toythatkills

Oct 26, 2017
London, UK
Thanks for that. I'll think I'll give that a try.

That requirement is the biggest BS I've seen in a while. I can consistently go from 1-4 to 4-1, but it's complete luck on whether or not the hired hand can survive even 5 seconds. Many many times I've seen them just jump into a lava pit 3 blocks wide, straight up suicide. And then when you finally get them through 2 levels to make them sleep at the start (which, again, is pure luck), there's still all this insta-kill potential...
I just played from the shortcut and after some time I found a hired hand in 4-4. Easy. When I didn't find one, I still got to practice the next levels so was a decent use of time until one turned up.

Serein

Mar 7, 2018
Fuuuuuuuuu...!!!

After a while of trying to do things legit and buying the Hedjet in the Black Market I thought screw it. Robbed the place, got reasonably well set up although I didn't have the Cape, Jetpack or Hoverpack. Still, for the first time I was able to beat Olmec and also get the Ankh. For the first time the parachute was actually useful. Anyway, I made it to the City of Gold and literally just as I'm about to enter the central chamber, the dumbass hired hand helpfully decides to attack a Croc Man who telefrags me. God damn it!

Deleted member 4367

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fuuuuuuuuu...!!!

After a while of trying to do things legit and buying the Hedjet in the Black Market I thought screw it. Robbed the place, got reasonably well set up although I didn't have the Cape, Jetpack or Hoverpack. Still, for the first time I was able to beat Olmec and also get the Ankh. For the first time the parachute was actually useful. Anyway, I made it to the City of Gold and literally just as I'm about to enter the central chamber, the dumbass hired hand helpfully decides to attack a Croc Man who telefrags me. God damn it!
I never use a hired hand for basically that reason.

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
Hired hands add additional chaos to your run 😂

Some NPC spoilers.

I found this camel looking dude on top of a Kali altar. I don't want hints but interesting.

Last edited:

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Entered 6-4 with 15 health, somehow still died before beating it, losing my machete that was with me through thick and thin since floor 2 after one use and only having two bombs left me with nothin' but WHIP and boy it does not do enough.
Also poisoned yada yada, still, so close, so very close

The hired hands ability to fatally drop a skull or rock when teetering at an edge is beyond compare, he makes his consistent domino effect of death look accidental

doof_warrior

Oct 25, 2017
NJ
so am I the only person who thinks the jungle is way easier?

I feel like at first glance the volcano is way easier because it's much more open and easy to zip through untouched. but it's unpredictable as fuck with the exploding robots and lava pools

the jungle is totally more intimidating and hard up front but if you play it enough and really get used to the enemies and quirks (keep an eye out for spike blocks and bear traps) it's much more predictable. you just need to be VERY methodical.

plus I said this earlier, but man can you get a fucking ton of hp of you have the kapala

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how dark rooms are set up in this, I feel like if you've been holding onto a weapon for too long the game throws one at you to make the choice between torch or low visibility but keeping the weapon.

so am I the only person who thinks the jungle is way easier?

I feel like at first glance the volcano is way easier because it's much more open and easy to zip through untouched. but it's unpredictable as fuck with the exploding robots and lava pools

the jungle is totally more intimidating and hard up front but if you play it enough and really get used to the enemies and quirks (keep an eye out for spike blocks and bear traps) it's much more predictable. you just need to be VERY methodical.

plus I said this earlier, but man can you get a fucking ton of hp of you have the kapala
I've been going there more when I have the kapala because of what you said, story checks out.
It's the direction I'd choose to go if I was wearing a power/hover/jet pack and/or a machete.

Of course no amount of health can truly save you, I had 32 health earlier after kapala and dropping all 4 vampire castle slaves onto an altar to load me up with royal jelly...
And I still got insta - crushed in the middle of a sorceress ruckus

platypotamus

Oct 25, 2017
I have both passed the 100 death mark AND made it to 2-1 a second time, AMA

(thanks to whoever recommended switching to walk as default speed, I think it's helped a bunch, I just still suck real bad)

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
I wonder how dark rooms are set up in this, I feel like if you've been holding onto a weapon for too long the game throws one at you to make the choice between torch or low visibility but keeping the weapon.
I wouldn't put it past Derek. He probably wanted to make the game more difficult because his first one got completely torn to pieces by streamers. I've been watching Dan Gheesling and Northernlion and they get dark levels a lot more than I remember.

doof_warrior

Oct 25, 2017
NJ

I've been going there more when I have the kapala because of what you said, story checks out.
It's the direction I'd choose to go if I was wearing a power/hover/jet pack and/or a machete.

Of course no amount of health can truly save you, I had 32 health earlier after kapala and dropping all 4 vampire castle slaves onto an altar to load me up with royal jelly...
And I still got insta - crushed in the middle of a sorceress ruckus
lol instakills are extra soul crushing when you've got 20hp, feeling invincible

spelunky punishes confidence
edit: also, dont sleep on stealing a boomerang from the cavemen there. you can kill almost everything with them, and it makes collecting blood real quick and easy. no recoil, but still good range

Serein

Mar 7, 2018
Man, instant death from having your pack detonated is brutal.
A yeti stood on a mine and came flying right across the level into me and his flaming corpse blew up my power pack. 😞

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
Excuse me?

Noticed a sub-area above the shortcut so bombed up to a weird door. Tried having the ghost fly over it and no good. Just a simple caveman inside? If this is already solved as part of a secret path or something just a simple yes, it is solved, will do, please.

YPYvHyi.png

L2HLibN.png

7mOO00z.png

ffQa0Y5.png

OP
OP
janusff

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Excuse me?

Noticed a sub-area above the shortcut so bombed up to a weird door. Tried having the ghost fly over it and no good. Just a simple caveman inside? If this is already solved as part of a secret path or something just a simple yes, it is solved, will do, please.

YPYvHyi.png

L2HLibN.png

7mOO00z.png

ffQa0Y5.png
i believe you have to be cursed to enter it.