• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

KaiPow

Oct 25, 2017
I was gonna Spelunk2nite but I guess Crash won out for my impromptu stream.
xww5Fok.jpeg

Scott Lufkin

Dec 7, 2017
For those playing (or watching videos) I have noticed something... interesting about the RNG level builder.

So it seems like there are many times I observed the player fall down to a place they can't get back out of without double-jumping via mount? Not ALL the time, but I've seen it happen several times now and I can't think of what the player could have done to avoid it - seems like ropes are more important than ever now? https://i.imgur.com/UsW5Fpv.jpg

Oct 29, 2017
UK
I see it on UK PSN and £15.99 is a good price. But I will wait for the Steam version in 2 weeks. I hope everyone has a good time in the meanwhile.

JamesQuall

Oct 27, 2017
Can't wait to dive into this later in the week. As much as I loved playing the original, I got just as much enjoyment watching streams of the game. Really hoping Chris Remo finds time to do a few runs in this, as his daily runs of the first game were easily my favorite to watch.

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
Holding down the trigger to walk instead works well, but I'm really undecided about what I want as the default tbh.
I actually switched to auto run on Spelunky HD recently after hours and hours of holding right trigger/bumper, and it literally only took a single run before I was completely used to it and had it locked in muscle memory. There's like no situation that requires you not to run so it makes sense that's the default here.

KaiPow

Oct 25, 2017
Is your theme... Corn?

Corn Love Forever, my friend.

store.playstation.com

Corn Love Forever Theme

Back by popular demand, “Corn Love Forever” is the one theme that asks all the big questions, all at the same time, with a unified, indiscernible, “MAAAAA” sound. Although often referred to as a “summertime theme”, Project CL2 is being released controversially in the winter. We apologize and thank

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
Corn Love Forever, my friend.

store.playstation.com

Corn Love Forever Theme

Back by popular demand, “Corn Love Forever” is the one theme that asks all the big questions, all at the same time, with a unified, indiscernible, “MAAAAA” sound. Although often referred to as a “summertime theme”, Project CL2 is being released controversially in the winter. We apologize and thank

I respect your love and commitment to the harvest king.

Dever

Dec 25, 2019
Game definitely seems harder than the first

World 1 spoiler:
Fucking moles wtf, those things are OP as hell. Fast, go through walls, can take multiple hits... Jebus.

World 2 spoiler:
Snap traps????? These are barely visible and kill you in one hit lmao

Serein

Mar 7, 2018
Calling it quits for tonight after reaching 2-2. Feels really strange having that sense of wonder again but it's welcome.

KaiPow

Oct 25, 2017
Crash 4 demo was shorter than expected, so I think I'm gonna get in about 30-40 minutes of Spelunky 2 on stream before I wrap things up for the night.

www.twitch.tv

Twitch

Twitch is the world's leading video platform and community for gamers.

Abylim

Oct 29, 2017
Australia
Did about 10-15 runs, having a hard time getting passed 1-3. I'm pretty much trying to pick up money on the way to the exit, is this how to play?

I didn't play much Spelunky, but I can already see progress. I died a few times on 1-1. Then I started getting to 1-2 every time. Now I'm making it to 1-3 almost every time.

NotSelf

Oct 26, 2017
Did about 10-15 runs, having a hard time getting passed 1-3. I'm pretty much trying to pick up money on the way to the exit, is this how to play?

I didn't play much Spelunky, but I can already see progress. I died a few times on 1-1. Then I started getting to 1-2 every time. Now I'm making it to 1-3 almost every time.

It's not necessary to pick up every piece of gold if you think its to risky just move on.

Scott Lufkin

Dec 7, 2017
is this how to play?

Sort of. You don't need money per se, but it helps because you can spend it in shops to acquire (if nothing else) extra bombs and ropes. In daily runs (at least in the first game) money = your score, so if you want to do better than your friends, both progress and your score do that. It's actually good to try and collect money when you can, I believe, because scavenging for resources and learning when you can safely get something like a ruby or a diamond vs. avoiding a trouble spot and knowing these things on the fly is part of the skill ceiling.

JayCB64

Oct 25, 2017
Wales
Did you boop away from a wall you are hanging from when you melee'd in the first one? Is this new tech?

Also this feels way harder than the first, which I am into - levels feel larger and just more packed, and it feels like you need to put some work in finding a path through rather than a fairly clear line (in world 1 at least).

Abylim

Oct 29, 2017
Australia
Sort of. You don't need money per se, but it helps because you can spend it in shops to acquire (if nothing else) extra bombs and ropes. In daily runs (at least in the first game) money = your score, so if you want to do better than your friends, both progress and your score do that. It's actually good to try and collect money when you can, I believe, because scavenging for resources and learning when you can safely get something like a ruby or a diamond vs. avoiding a trouble spot and knowing these things on the fly is part of the skill ceiling.

Thanks, its been fun. Learning that i can throw a rock to trigger traps saved me a few times. The fact that nothing carries over, run to run, is both good and bad. I'm enjoying it.

Deleted member 4367

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks, its been fun. Learning that i can throw a rock to trigger traps saved me a few times. The fact that nothing carries over, run to run, is both good and bad. I'm enjoying it.
Holding onto the little animals or a doggie saved you from arrow traps in the first one, might be the case in the second one as well if there are still arrow traps.

XaosWolf

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
There are now "Ghost Jars" which contain a diamond but summon the ghost immediately when one breaks. Easy tip: Carry the jar closer to the exit.
Also the ghost splits into two smaller, faster ghosts. One of which will try to head you off a little.

Holding onto the little animals or a doggie saved you from arrow traps in the first one, might be the case in the second one as well if there are still arrow traps.
Can confirm this is still the case.

Last edited:

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017

The #1 spelunky tip I'd give people in general is to always be carrying something. Rock, pot, dead enemy, etc. are pretty much always useful to trigger things, and you can carry it from one level to the next.

XaosWolf

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Oh yeah, can you ride the pets or something? What's the point of pets?
The pug, cat and hamster will give you 1 extra health if you take them to the exit. They just need to be alive and touch it. You can also take carryable treasure into the exit too. (The golden idol head thing)

The turkeys and other creatures are new and once you tame them by sitting on them for a bit you can ride them around and use their abilities.
(Turkey has a double jump and you can hold the button to slow fall which will let you land in spikes safely)
Oh and just in case you were avoiding them altogether: you can move into spikes from the side just fine. Just don't fall on them. =)

Last edited:

grang

Nov 13, 2017
Climbing Gloves only grip when holding towards the wall <3
Holy sh-

The turkeys and other creatures are new and once you tame them by sitting on them for a bit you can ride them around and use their abilities. (Turkey has a double jump and you can hold the button to slow fall which will let you land in spikes safely)
Oh and just in case you were avoiding them altogether: you can move into spikes from the side just fine. Just don't fall on them. =)
Also I know stuff like this is totally inconsequential and we would have figured it out eventually, but are we having any spoiler rules ITT? Would personally prefer to figure this stuff out on my own.

Last edited:

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
Watching Scoops play and I'm loving what I'm seeing. His joy at learning all the new stuff is awesome. And I love all the new touches they gave the game.

At first I thought they lowered the ghost appearance to like a minute and so did he. It took a few lives before we both at the same time realized that there are pots with diamonds in them and a ghost face that immediately summon the ghost. That was a good Eureka moment.

XaosWolf

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Also I know stuff like this is totally inconsequential and we would have figured it out eventually, but are we having any spoiler rules ITT? Would personally prefer to figure this stuff out on my own.
shhhh let people find this for themselves (it's one of my favorite things to have co-op friends learn the hard way). I also really appreciate it as a new, frequently encountered asset to potentially juggle on your way to each exit.
Sorry, sorry. Edited and I'll spoiler-mark the new stuff.

XaosWolf

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I can't describe what just happened due to mega spoilers. But in general I guess I just got Spelunky'd

ShaggsMagoo

Oct 28, 2017
People are playing Spelunky 2. Spelunky 2 isn't even showing up on the Playstation store for me. This makes me upset.