• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

toythatkills

Oct 26, 2017
London, UK
I don't think low scorer had a trophy on the first one. It was only a Steam achievement.
It was on Xbox and Steam, but the PS4 trophy list was different as it came out originally when games were limited to 12 trophies, maybe? Something stupid like that meant some were cut.

Be happy there are no co-op trophies, even though the option's there I never think of this as anything other than a single-player game.

ThisOne

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone know if the deathmatch in this will have matchmaking with randoms? Could be fun.

Last edited:

Remachinate

Oct 27, 2017

Oh great, Low Scorer again. Though I did note in the previous thread that, from the trailers we've seen, there's less money just randomly lying around the levels compared to Spelunky 1. Hopefully that'll make the achievement less obnoxious this time around.

This shouldn't come as a surprise I guess, but mild spoiler warning about the achievements. Some interesting tidbits:

• Olmec returns, but probably not as a final boss--getting past Olmec's lair is a bronze achievement.
  • The "Cosmic Ocean" and "Hundun" seem like the final area and boss, respectively. Google has some interesting art those these terms.
  • The Black Market, Ankh, and City of Gold all return as well--I wonder if the steps to access the latter are all the same?
  • Only three shortcuts, suggesting the normal run is about the same length.
  • "Wake the Eggplant Child"!

MeltedDreams

Oct 27, 2017
1Se3806b.png

Loving the plat icon.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
I beat Yama a month ago and have been on a Spelunky break ever since. Pretty hyped for Tuesday!

Frustrating that I gotta sub to PS Plus for multiplayer and 'community', especially as I plan to get the PC and inevitable Switch versions down the line.

Oct 27, 2017
So the star sun and moon door are all in spelunky OG. My guess is
those related achievements are challenges to achieve something (kills, speed) and reach a certain NPC mid run to get rewards/branching paths/unique items.

Guesses, will there be one defined final end like in HD, or branching paths resulting in multiple 'final end' options?

Deleted member 7883

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ahhh this is the first time my OT idea got used I finally am a productive member of this forum :')

Can't wait for this. PS4 day one. PC... probably day two or three. Any version released on a portable handheld would be day zero or die trying.

I hope Round Boy makes a return in this sequal. Maybe Round Boy's child. Lemme be round, Derek.

Oct 27, 2017
This is probably the only game that would make me consider buying a PS4 two months before the PS5 comes out just so I can play it two weeks earlier lol.

It's gonna be hard to not watch all the PS4 streams on Tuesday.

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
The new art look gorgeous!

I remember being terrible at the first one (not even close to beating once) but being in a weird trance where all I played was it during a week or two (or three), it was like a drug, there was something wildly addicting about the gameplay loop of you becoming better and better and more in control of everything and more intimate with every aspect of the scenario with each try and it just felt so good to play. I don't remember why I stopped or never went back to it, probably just life getting in the way and me getting distracted away from it, but it was brilliant and I will be buying this new one if everyone says it's just as good or better.

Croc Man

Oct 27, 2017
Can't wait, I got the week off to play it. Well I was having a week off sometime this month anyway so it coincided nicely. I'm looking forward to the days at home as much as the day trips.

Frustrating that I gotta sub to PS Plus for multiplayer and 'community', especially as I plan to get the PC and inevitable Switch versions down the line.
Aww crap. When you say community does that mean I need ps+ just for bloody leaderboards/daily challenges?
My ps+ just expired and I was in no rush to resub.

OP
OP
janusff

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
are there dailies at launch? has anyone heard anything about that? i can't find info on that anywhere

also i added a era friends list in the OT. feel free to tag me so i can add you

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Aww crap. When you say community does that mean I need ps+ just for bloody leaderboards/daily challenges?
My ps+ just expired and I was in no rush to resub.
I expect PS+ isn't needed for daily challenge and leaderboards, but there is apparently some other sort of community involvement beyond co-op. Not sure.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
I wish I could jump in on day one. I don't have a PS4 nor a Windows machine. All I want is a Switch version or a Mac version. I have to make the impossible choice of whether to avoid all the videos that are inevitably about to pop up on my YouTube subscriptions list for spoilers while I wait who knows how long, or just watch them.

Oct 27, 2017
I wish I could jump in on day one. I don't have a PS4 nor a Windows machine. All I want is a Switch version or a Mac version. I have to make the impossible choice of whether to avoid all the videos that are inevitably about to pop up on my YouTube subscriptions list for spoilers while I wait who knows how long, or just watch them.

Could remote play through steam work for you? No idea if that would allow you to bypass system restrictions. What I mean is if I, or another w10 user hosted, could you remote connect with a Linux box running steam remote connect?

I expect PS+ isn't needed for daily challenge and leaderboards, but there is apparently some other sort of community involvement beyond co-op. Not sure.

Could be cool if a town (or a section of the hub) expanded based on community achievements. Would fit the apparent theme of the game nicely.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
Killer effort OP

I have a custom Steam grid based off that same edge art, its fricking gorgeous (better than the official one imo)

37ab3008887838d2f78a9c120b13795d.png

GearDraxon

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who has spent the last week trying to finally get the Low Scorer achievement, a big middle finger to it coming back. Ugh.

Deleted member 4367

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed is too important an element to me in Spelunky to bother going for ultra high scores or the low score achievement. It takes away too much of the fun for me. My highest score is only like 800k.

Insomniac

Oct 27, 2017
Couple other things that stand out re: Trophies compared to the first game:

- Speedlunky bumped from 8 minutes to 10 minutes
- High score trophy is now for 1M instead of 500K
- From what I can tell, no co-op achievements this time

Overall very doable, nothing in there that should cause too much frustration IMO.

As someone who intends to get this on Steam in two weeks, it's gonna be a tough time avoiding heavy spoilers. Pretty much all the streamers I watch will be playing it quite a bit.

Deleted member 25888

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'm almost equally excited about the prospect of a new OST from Eirik Suhrke. Gimme more of that smooth jazz/funk/whatevers.

GearDraxon

Oct 25, 2017
Speed is too important an element to me in Spelunky to bother going for ultra high scores or the low score achievement. It takes away too much of the fun for me. My highest score is only like 800k.
I think that the fact there's no provision in the code for dark levels when doing a Low Scorer run is a big part of it - the whole "beat a level in 20 seconds and the next one won't be dark" concept was a stroke of genius, but I've had a few LS runs be torpedoed because I got a dark level in the Temple. Very frustrating.

Hazzuh

Oct 28, 2017
The tedium of ultra high score runs is one of the few flaws in Spelunky IMO. That and the fact that "Jetpack + Shotgun" as an optimal build is a bit too one dimensional. Hopefully all of the new items mix things up a bit.

Oct 27, 2017
Couple other things that stand out re: Trophies compared to the first game:

- Speedlunky bumped from 8 minutes to 10 minutes
- High score trophy is now for 1M instead of 500K
- From what I can tell, no co-op achievements this time

Overall very doable, nothing in there that should cause too much frustration IMO.

As someone who intends to get this on Steam in two weeks, it's gonna be a tough time avoiding heavy spoilers. Pretty much all the streamers I watch will be playing it quite a bit.

The
eggplant child one could be related to co-op, seeing as eggplant was originally (and designed) to be co-op based.

Oct 27, 2017
I think that the fact there's no provision in the code for dark levels when doing a Low Scorer run is a big part of it - the whole "beat a level in 20 seconds and the next one won't be dark" concept was a stroke of genius, but I've had a few LS runs be torpedoed because I got a dark level in the Temple. Very frustrating.

Yeah I always thought "no dark levels while gold = 0" would be a fair adjustment. By far my least favorite achievement, but still interesting and requiring new thinking and playstyles.

GearDraxon

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I always thought "no dark levels while gold = 0" would be a fair adjustment. By far my least favorite achievement, but still interesting and requiring new thinking and playstyles.
Exactly my thoughts. I'm almost surprised that they didn't do that, given that it's such a giveaway (like the 20 seconds rule) that you're "going for" that specific run.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Nice job on the thread!

It's this release of all things that makes me the most nostalgic for my Vita. I wasn't very good at the original game, but those daily challenges had me locked in for a couple of months of constant play.

I think it's so emblematic of Spelunky and its multiple skill layers that, when I read "I wasn't very good at it", I have no clue whether that means "I never got past the mines", I never got past the jungle", "I never beat Olmec", "I never reached hell", "I never finished hell" or "I never got to doing [any of the above] consistently in my runs".

In my case I never reached hell; the city of gold is as far as I ever got. :)

Deleted member 4367

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hell has such a different feel to it than the other areas (though the temple is pretty close). Constant vampires, the jumpy spike head guys, the flame men running everywhere, succubi. It's a shame that lots of fans never got to experience it.

Oct 29, 2017
UK
Hell has such a different feel to it than the other areas (though the temple is pretty close). Constant vampires, the jumpy spike head guys, the flame men running everywhere, succubi. It's a shame that lots of fans never got to experience it.
Some of us are just really bad okay...

I actually got to 4-1 today, did the ankh stuff and got the staff but I killed myself through my own stupidity. That's the furthest I've gotten in Spelunky in all the years I've had it on my Vita...

Deleted member 4367

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Some of us are just really bad okay...

I actually got to 4-1 today, did the ankh stuff and got the staff but I killed myself through my own stupidity. That's the furthest I've gotten in Spelunky in all the years I've had it on my Vita...
I'm just lamenting the skill barrier restricting so many from experiencing all the game has to offer but what makes hell unique is the difficulty so that's a hard thing to fix.

Oct 29, 2017
UK
Making Spelunky easier would really rob Spelunky of the point of it all. It is such a beautifully balanced game. Arrows doing 2 damage really teaches you early on that you should really not run across the screen into an arrow trap and just die like I keep doing after 700+ deaths in the game. I'm so glad Spelunky tells me my deaths.

I REALLY EXCITED FOR THIS SEQUEL. I've been considering getting the book Derek Yu wrote to tide me over until 2 drops on Steam as well as trying to beat hell.

toythatkills

Oct 26, 2017
London, UK
I'm not sure Spelunky's a game that requires much skill, really. I can beat it somewhat consistently and I'm pretty bad at games.

It requires knowledge, and enough knowledge that you can make quick decisions. There's nothing really in Spelunky that's hard to kill or any platforming that requires any precision, it just throws quite stressful decisions at you quite often and quite quickly and the panic is what gets you. The more you play, the more you learn, the calmer you can be, the further you get.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
I'm not sure Spelunky's a game that requires much skill, really. I can beat it somewhat consistently and I'm pretty bad at games.

It requires knowledge, and enough knowledge that you can make quick decisions. There's nothing really in Spelunky that's hard to kill or any platforming that requires any precision, it just throws quite stressful decisions at you quite often and quite quickly and the panic is what gets you. The more you play, the more you learn, the calmer you can be, the further you get.
I think quick and efficient application of knowledge is skill.

Deleted member 20155

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I am unreasonably excited for this, I think the original is quite possibly the best game I've ever played. First time since Bloodborne I am itching to play a game the minute it's out.

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
So, one change that bums me out but that I accept is that the full game will no longer be beatable immediately in a single run. That was one of the simple game design purities that I felt added a lot to the original/HD and I'm sad to see it go. Anyone else appreciate that facet and sad to see it go? Building the hub will be super fun, but will keep the game from feeling as revisitable, to me. Especially if the town members give benefits/advantages. Biggest concern i have pre-release, from a design point of view. I dont want rogue legacy post run progression/benefit grinding before you are on equal playing field with everyone. Two days!!
I'm not sure what you mean. If you mean it's not possible to encounter all the content in a single run because of the alternate floors and such - I have 0 problems with that (and technically it was barely possible in the first game since Haunted Castle is extremely rare). I don't know what the building the town entails since I'm trying to avoid spoilers, but I do know that Derek is keeping the length of an average run roughly the same as the Spelunky HD, and that's really all I'm concerned about in terms of replay-ability.

atomsk

Oct 28, 2017

risk assessment and situational awareness are the two most important skills to hone.