• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zippedpinhead

Oct 25, 2017
triple dip and a double dip.

Handheld preferred playing experience anyways. Soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
convenient

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
when that music hits

3x
3x
3x

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
I wish they had done the same as the overcooked people and added online play to spelunky 1 in the new collection. it would have sold me on buying spelunky again :(

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
I'm perplexed at the amount of time needed, even with the pandemic and all.
Spelunky 2 might be because of a deal with Sony, but no idea why Spelunky 1 has taken so long to come. That should have been out years ago, literally.

Both games should do very well, and hopefully the first game is priced right. I'm guessing they'll both be $20, but the first really should be $10 or $15.

Rirse

Jun 29, 2019
Spelunky 2 might be because of a deal with Sony, but no idea why Spelunky 1 has taken so long to come. That should have been out years ago, literally.

Both games should do very well, and hopefully the first game is priced right. I'm guessing they'll both be $20, but the first really should be $10 or $15.

I think it mostly because it generally just Derek Yu running things. Plus they were also just fixing up the Steam version to get it online working.

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017
i could have sworn these games were already on switch. was Spelunky on Vita and that's why i'm feeling confused?

Deleted member 33571

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 17, 2017
Great news, really can't wait to play 2. And if they stagger the releases I'd probably end up buying the first one again too lol......might do that either way actually

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Shame it's so far away but, fuck it. Amazing news.

Spelunky 2 is almost certainly my GOTY for 2020. It's phenomenal.

SigSig

Oct 26, 2017
Have lost track of how many dips, but this will be my favorite way of playing Spelunky going forward. With this, the Switch replaces my Vita as the main Spelunky-Machine.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Can't come soon enough. Spelunky 2 is among the best games of the year.

Sojiro

Jun 24, 2018
Instantly fucking bought, took a damn long time, but we're finally getting it here.

Juraash

Oct 25, 2017
Feels like a long way off, but these are easy buys in the Switch. I played the first on the Vita more than anything. This type of game is perfect for on the go or to get in a few runs on a break at work.

TheSentry42

Nov 2, 2017
I'm genuinely curious as someone who has never played these games — does Spelunky 1 do anything unique or special that Spelunky 2 doesn't do and would make it important to play not just 2 but both?

Vaskie

Oct 27, 2017
I'm genuinely curious as someone who has never played these games — does Spelunky 1 do anything unique or special that Spelunky 2 doesn't do and would make it important to play not just 2 but both?

They are completely different games. Different levels, mechanics, secrets.
It's almost like comparing a Sonic 1 to a Sonic 2.
With that said the skill does transfer so if you're good at Spelunky 1 or 2, you will be good at the other.

ThisOne

Oct 27, 2017
They play very similarly but there are different levels, enemies, items, etc. in each. I personally think Spelunky 2 is quite a bit harder than 1. Both amazing games though. Spelunky 2 is probably my 2nd favorite game this year.

Croc Man

Oct 27, 2017
Ah good, Spelunky 2 has never felt right on PS4, hopefully back on a handheld it'll click.
No but I find 2 stupidly frustratingly difficult despite beating the original a hundred times. I can't imagine going straight into 2.

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
That's an easy double dip on Spelunky 2 and I don't even need anything else on the switch if I'm travelling or something, that game is just infinite entertainment.

jiggyfresh

Oct 27, 2017
I still play the freeware original all the time. I would have babies with this game. Can't wait to play the sequel!

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
I felt for a long time this was the main indie title missing on Switch. Great to see it arrive finally.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
I'm amazed it will have taken over four years for Spelunky to hit Switch. I know the dev team must've been fully focused on Spelunky 2 and that UFO game, but you would've thought that someone somewhere would've made Spelunky Switch a priority.