• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Damn, I never followed followed him, but I'd always scan the GDQ schedules to see if he was doing a Mega Man X run because I always enjoyed watching his runs (and MMX runs in general). Sucks to find out that he's shitty.

OP
OP

BigJeffery

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
OP: *agrees with caleb's ban, wonders about whether the receiving end of the message should also get a ban, wants to start a discussion about it*
You: "Wow you piece of trash of course caleb deserves the ban"

lol

I appreciate the defense, but that poster never bothered following up on their comment or responding to my reply so I suspect they've just tapped out after realizing their mistake. A lot of people on ERA have a bad habit of reading every third word in an post, immediately coming up with the worst possible interpretation (I guess "best possible" if your goal is just to pick fights), and posting combatively in what I can only assume is some weird psycho-sexual pathological desire to appear morally virtuous. It's hard to feel good about being on the right side of history when basically everyone else is too lol.

Kitokys

Nov 29, 2017
I stopped following him a while back because I wasn't a fan of his dudebro attitude. It doesn't surprise me he would use this word in a private context.

Zero3K

Oct 25, 2017
Louisville, KY
User Banned (1 Week): Dismissive and Excusing racism
why is that dude not wearing a fuckin shirt lmao
He likes to show off his muscles. Anyways, I don't think the message was racist since it was written with a Sup at the beginning and its impossible to tell since it wasn't spoken out loud. Hearing the inflection is important in determining if that word is racist or not.

OP
OP

BigJeffery

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Did he do anything incriminating? If the answer is yes, then yes. If the answer is no, then no. It's not rocket science.

So I guess the question is: is participating in a conversation where the other party is openly being racist incriminating?

EDIT: I just got a text I've been waiting for so I'm going to head out. This has been a really interesting discussion, thanks everyone! If I knew what threadmarks were or how to use them, I'd mark this post.

Deleted member 9971

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well deserved in this case.
Would be weird not to ban he posted/showed his bad nature accidently himself. Good riddiance

Kaz Mk II

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This redemptive arc you're hoping for from someone you invested in ain't happening.

He posted a video where he acknowledged the ban but didn't apologize, got criticized for it, then posted another video where he seemed very irritated that he had to actually apologize.

Yeah that sounds like something he'd do. Twitch should not respond or give him a timeline for unbanning until he agrees to do a proper apology.
It's his fucking job, you cant act like a child for breaking the rules and facing the consequences acting like the big man who's being unjustly punished.

Deleted member 51103

Banned
Dec 20, 2018
Portland, Oregon
Really ticked off, I was a fan of Caleb, he did really great Mega Man X speedruns. I feel a bit betrayed.

RE: "Why is the speedrunning community so toxic?" IMO it's not the speedrunning community. It is just EVERYWHERE.

I come from a rural town. I've known his type before. He is a rural white dude who has never interacted with a black person and thinks it is edgy and cool to say the gamer word. I've had it out with friends about exactly this before... though it has been YEARS. People tend to grow out of this petty childish bullshit. Also I just fired the friends who kept doing it.

They say "I'm not racist I am just kidding" and my reply is always: Then don't say the gamer word. It is disgusting and hateful and disrespectful. If you let the word get into your brain you will say it at a bad time or dumb shit like this will happen.

Permaban. I have ZERO sympathy. Anyone with half a numbskull could see this coming.

Caleb is a full grown man. No crocodile tears or "I'm sowwy" will cover it. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

Great job ruining your life, Caleb.

Blackbird

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Can we talk about Carcinogensda as well? What should be expected of him here?

Did he do anything incriminating? If the answer is yes, then yes. If the answer is no, then no. It's not rocket science.

That's the thing tho, even if he doesn't says anything alike himself, the fact that he had a personal relationship to the point of that guys straight up saying it comfortably, is worrying to say the least.

It's a fact that we should expect Carci's response to this, but...i don't know if he can say anything that will negate the main fact that he complied with the use of that word, in one way or another.

Oct 25, 2017
I've never followed him, I didn't even remember his name when I saw the thread, but I love Mega Man so I know who he is... I'm just disappointed.

He recently did a "Play every mainline Mega Man" in a row and I found that funny cause he gave up at the very end of 10 or something, just meh about all this.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Also, the speedrunning community is actually very welcoming. There's a good chunk of speedrunners that belong to a minority (PoC, LGBT+, female, disabled, and any combination thereof), and I do not know of any of them getting any sort of bigotry thrown their way from within the community.
GDQ in particular has gotten a lot of flak from reactionaries because of them cracking down on Twitch chat being bigoted, featuring trans runners in several capacities, as well as some of their staff being very openly 'SJW'.

Out of any gaming community I've encountered, the speedrunning community in general is very open and supportive. But rightwing shitheadery is undermining basically any and all groups, and any gaming-related interest is especially at risk. So you're going to find shit gibbons if you look for them, but you'll find that the majority is going to be decent people, and their chats also tend to be positive.

Hoa

Jun 6, 2018
The fuck, this is disappointing. I haven't watched him in a few years, but Isn't he friends with BigJon and Trihex? He should fucking know better.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
He likes to show off his muscles. Anyways, I don't think the message was racist since it was written with a Sup at the beginning and its impossible to tell since it wasn't spoken out loud. Hearing the inflection is important in determining if that word is racist or not.

Inflection? Dude's so white that I'm getting snow blindness from that X3 clip

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017

post an example of it here and see if it looks racist

BLOODED_hands

Oct 25, 2017
Damn Carci..... You were always saying how your own streaming community shouldn't say any racial slurs but when it comes to Caleb? Yikes.

I'm not too surprised to see Caleb using such horrible language. Always had a feeling he would use racial slurs outside of streaming.

Glass Arrows

Jan 10, 2019
I was familiar with him mostly through his MMX speedruns at AGDQ, but never followed him. So I didn't really have any expectations or anything, I'm just glad he got punished for being an idiot.

DWarriorSN

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
PA
Damn i only know about this guy from Maximillian.

Who knew the guy was such a trashbag, hope Max distances himself.

SturokBGD

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ontario
That's the thing tho, even if he doesn't says anything alike himself, the fact that he had a personal relationship to the point of that guys straight up saying it comfortably, is worrying to say the least.
Sure. But you can't expect Twitch to hold some guy responsible for the actions of some other guy. He didn't break the rules. You're free to feel however you want about him.

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
Shit like this makes me laugh when I remember Excessive Profanity say Nigger in his stream and then proceed to argue about how in Australia that isnt a big deal because everyone says its each other lmao. Of course he ended up deleting that VoD.

SturokBGD

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ontario
So I guess the question is: is participating in a conversation where the other party is openly being racist incriminating?

EDIT: I just got a text I've been waiting for so I'm going to head out. This has been a really interesting discussion, thanks everyone! If I knew what threadmarks were or how to use them, I'd mark this post.
Hmm alerts aren't popping for me so I missed this, but same answer I gave the other guy. It's incriminating in so much as you're free to feel whatever you like about him. But he didn't break any of Twitch's rules just because he was present when the other guy was being openly racist.

Ironically I wouldn't watch either of them because I'm at the point where I just presume every Twitch streamer and Youtuber is a massive shithead because of stories like this.

IneptEMP

Jan 14, 2019
?_?

I'm not sure this means what you intended. The way you've written it, you're saying racists can't be bad at social skills.

I read your post as you saying that lack of social skills is why Calebhart42 is a racist; my post was in response to that. But I misread you if you were speaking about speed runners in general and not specifically the streamer in question, my mistake if so

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
What is interesting is how far this punishment should extend. He sent the racist message to another Twitch streamer. As far as we can tell, the other Twitch streamer, while an active participant in the conversation, didn't say anything racist. Should this guy get banned or suspended? What would have happened if this message was revealed on the other streamer's channel?

I would imagine that Twitch chat tends to be pretty lenient with these things or at least, given the culture that's festered there, has been lenient. I would assume that it's specifically because he had his name on it on his own Stream that Twitch saw no issue with it. What this says about Carcinogen's behavior off-stream is a bit beyond me to answer, though it's certainly not something I'd want to be on the record condoning personally.

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Man streamers and YouTubers, hell the internet in general just make you realise how many shit heels are in the world.

neon_dream

Dec 18, 2017
I read your post as you saying that lack of social skills is why Calebhart42 is a racist; my post was in response to that. But I misread you if you were speaking about speed runners in general and not specifically the streamer in question, my mistake if so

1. You were replying to someone else, not me; I jumped in because of the grammar (uh oh, grammar police)
2. I'm not going to grill you about it; I'm just playfully instructing you on the correct usage of the phrase "mutually exclusive", as so:

When two things are "mutually exclusive", that means they can not occur together. If you say A and B are mutually exclusive, A never occurs with B. "Exclusive" means for one thing to exclude another.

So, if you say...
Racists <> mutually exclusive <> bad social skills...

... what you're saying (even if this is not what you intended) is that racists do NOT have bad social skills.

"Go together" is probably the turn of phrase you wanted to use, like this:
"racists and trash social skills go together"

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
Hmm, I feel like I was pretty explicit several times in the OP about how I felt about the ban (specifically that it was just and good), but it's interesting you decided to just completely ignore that and assume I meant literally the exact opposite. I'm sorry you're looking to fight about this and instead found a thread where the OP agrees with you. Better luck in the future!
you missed the point

youre trying to frame the event as if it needs wider discussion and there really isn't much else to be said. You extrapolating about the other streamer isn't even relevant, that person didn't post anything to cause the infraction.

No need to be all defensive because I called your angling corny

OP: *agrees with caleb's ban, wonders about whether the receiving end of the message should also get a ban, wants to start a discussion about it*
You: "Wow you piece of trash of course caleb deserves the ban"

lol

Can you quote where I called him a peice of trash?

I can have an opinion that there isn't much to be discussed in this case.

Looks like you're unable to comprehend written English. They have classes for that.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
If you're just going to post "FUCK THAT GUY, BAN HIS ASS," please don't. While I agree with you, I don't think comments like that add anything to discussions and I'm a little disappointed the mods aren't more strict about them.

What kind of shit is this?

Dude said racist shit, is seemingly unapolegetic about it according to Aeana's post, and you're bothered because posters are deservingly giving him shit.

Nah fam.

Jave

Oct 30, 2017
Chile
I followed him on Twitch since I liked watching his MMX runs. Real shame it ended like this.

Not gonna argue the ban, though. Completely deserved.

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And nothing of value was lost. Never understood how anyone liked him. Extremely off-putting personality. Also has one of the creepiest moments of games done quick, when he jammed a mic in his gf's face and told her to "say it" so everyone could hear her say "i love you"

JJ!

Dec 18, 2017
I was a bit suspect of him before due to his "cmonbruh" emote and how he would toy around with it. and this confirms my suspicions. And oh my god that "apology" was the weakest shit i have ever seen in my life dude, he looked like someone had a knife to his back forcing him to say it lmao. later dudeeee

Orbit

Banned
Nov 21, 2018
hahahaha sweet, sweet justice.

also, i already hate the guy seeing that twitter account profile pic.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Switch speed running with gaming, speed running is actually pretty damn inclusive and pretty anti-harrassment. GDQ is the single biggest speed running community and events and they shut that down consistently, aside from a few small hiccups that they have corrected.

Gaming in general though is toxic as hell, and it's not hard to find many examples. The only way to fix that is by taking down streamers like the one in OP which are obviously racist and using their platforms for hate, and making sure that none of it is welcome in any gathering, tournament, showcase, etc of gaming.

chrisypoo

Oct 27, 2017
Damn dude, I had no idea he was fucking racist. Didn't he do guest stuff with Yovideogames not too long ago? What the fuck man, I wonder how they feel about that shit.

He was really fucking good at Megaman X too......why are gamers so terrible?

Omnicore

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver
Well, can't defend him. Have watched him for years and have actually been a sub for a couple years as well. Always enjoyed his commentary and positive vibes in his streams; he was good for a laugh. Won't lie, I'll likely continue watching if he comes back. The sub will be gone though.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Is op trying to do a "where do we draw the line?" Angle by suggesting the other person in chat get banned as well?