• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lynd

Oct 29, 2017
Yuck no thanks. Why would they want to join with any pub, didnt their rare experience sour them enough?

Minky

Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Would be a very weird move. And after what I experienced with Yooka Laylee, I definitely don't trust these guys with Banjo.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
It would be a weird development with some of them leaving Rare to create Playtonic and do mascot platformers and then being bought (again) to do the same. It would instantly make me prefer Microsoft's first party to Sony's, though Nintendo would still reign supreme as far as my tastes are concerned. I love both Yooka games and have no doubt they'd be the right pick to do Banjo.

That said I kinda hope they stay independent and it's more like a one (or few) time(s) deal if it happens. That would be perfect and ensure their independence in case Microsoft suddenly pivots in a new direction or have a change in leadership that isn't interested in doing the type of games they're obviously passionate about.

Sep 29, 2019
To add to this, a while back Playtonic tweeted that they are working on something but were "not ready to break their NDA just yet". Not long after that the new YL was announced but would they need to say NDA if it was about their own IP? They could have said working on our next game but not ready to announce just yet. Also, YL and the impossible lair is the kind of game that Rare were renown for and started on it immediately after the first game, did they really need the entire team the entire time to develop it or could a second team have been working on something else at the same time or once the bulk of the work was done?

If they are working on a new Banjo Kazooie (which I really hope they are, especially with the reactions from their smash inclusion) they already have a ton of feedback from the first YL to improve upon with a budget from MS.

I also remember that a banjo kazooie 3 was written and started development a while back but that was cancelled and replaced with nuts and bolts. Could they just revive that story?

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
I could definitely see a partnership between the two to work on a Banjo game, but an acquisition doesn't make sense imo.

From Playtonic's side, why be bought be the company that made you want to leave (albeit MS leadership has changed for the better)?

From MS' side, why buy up people that may very well up and leave again, especially when the only IP they have is a knock-off of one you already own?

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft has basically unlimited funds, they also don't mind putting their games on the Nintendo Switch and of course PC, so I'm all for a bigger budget to this studio, give talented studios more money, and freedom to create unique and fun games like this. I think it can only be a good thing. I think they wouldn't even mind bringing some games like this to Sony's platform too, even if Sony and Nintendo get the titles much later.

Microsoft seems to be more interested in building the services and branding of Xbox and their related gaming services like Xcloud, than they are in competing directly with at least Nintendo anymore, and I'm all for that.

TheDutchSlayer

Did you find it? Cuez I didn't!
Oct 26, 2017
The Hauge, The Netherlands
giphy.gif
Holy this so much seriously this would be for me a reason if its truly Banjo 3 a reason to buy an xbox next gen

Quantza

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hoping for a 'partnership' not an acquisition (single, multi-game dev contracts, but retaining independence).
Companies can change fast; they won't have a second chance if Microsoft ever goes full-Kinect again...

amardilo

Oct 30, 2017
UK
I think this would be cool if Microsoft have changed and are less controlling and more allowing of studios to act somewhat independent.

If they were purchased it would allow the the like of Gregg Mayles and anyone else still at Rare from the N64 days to have a hand (or even lead) development on a new Banjo game made by Playtonic (if they wanted to).

This would give Playtonic access to a lot more resources (money, QA, tech and whatever else) allowing them to build some "bigger" games and Microsoft would get more games to put on their Game Pass service.

Plus more 2.5D Yooka Laylee games and another 3D platform Banjo Kazooie game would be good.

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017
How many copies did Yooka-Laylee sell divided by platforms? Maybe this is just my bias from being on the internet too much, but it feels like Yooka-Laylee was especially loved by Nintendo fans? Doesn't Microsoft seem like a mismatch? This is all assumptions though so I could be completely wrong

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017
Would be a very weird move. And after what I experienced with Yooka Laylee, I definitely don't trust these guys with Banjo.
I wouldn't look at that game to get a sense of what Playtonic is capable of. The first Yooka-Laylee was held back by the fact that they were still building their team while they were making the game. The Impossible Lair is a much better game, and gives me hope for the studio's future.

Quantza

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How many copies did Yooka-Laylee sell divided by platforms? Maybe this is just my bias from being on the internet too much, but it feels like Yooka-Laylee was especially loved by Nintendo fans? Doesn't Microsoft seem like a mismatch? This is all assumptions though so I could be completely wrong

Some kind of agreement would be required between Playtonic and Microsoft so they can license the Banjo-Kazooie IP (and possibly others).

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Wouldn't Phil Spencer choose his replacement?
not in every case? and who's to say his replacement couldn't change direction, even if he was hand picked by Spencer? corporations operate to extract the maximum profit, not to carry on their predecessor's legacy or whatever

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Said it before, I'll say it again: it would make so much sense if Playtonic worked on Rare IPs like Banjo. Rare wants to work on new IPs and they'd stop getting annoyed by people who want them to do what they did 20 years ago. Fans want new Banjo and such. Playtonic is literally making pretend Rare games without owning the IPs - and they're good games. Microsoft could do with some exclusive retro platformer for their Game Pass. And also Playtonic could probably use that Microsoft money for more stability and bigger budget on their games, as the main issues with YL clearly came from budget limitations.

It's a dream scenario, so hopefully it's true.

JimNastics

Jan 11, 2018
The overworld in Impossible Lair was so much more "Banjo-like" to me than anything in the original Yooka Laylee, just in the terms of aesthetics and playability. I absolutely love Impossible Lair, and Playtonic being give the license develop a new Banjo would literally be the greatest gaming news for me in years.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
it feels like Yooka-Laylee was especially loved by Nintendo fans? Doesn't Microsoft seem like a mismatch?
that might be true, but as evident by MS's past several acquisitions, they seem to be wanting to fill holes in their roster and lineup so they have more diversity in their first party games. it'll be pointless if they were just after racing/FPS/TPS studios. they want to change people's perception so they've gone after double fine (platformer and adventure games), obsidian and inxile (western RPGs), compulsion and ninja theory (narrative driven single player games), etc. it might seem like a mismatch now but they'll serve their purpose later.

vedrua

Oct 26, 2019
They can work on a new Banjo without being acquired by Microsoft. I mean, what would be the point of buying Rare once again?

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Kinda shows a lot of incompetence of microsoft. they had these guys once, wouldn't let them make the games they wanted to so they left to do that

I guess you would hope Phil wouldn't be stupid enough to let the situation repeat itself, but they would basically be paying money to lure people back who left to do their own thing. MS own Banjo Kazooie so the YL IP is not really that meaningful here

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017
that might be true, but as evident by MS's past several acquisitions, they seem to be wanting to fill holes in their roster and lineup so they have more diversity in their first party games. it'll be pointless if they were just after racing/FPS/TPS studios. they want to change people's perception so they've gone after double fine (platformer and adventure games), obsidian and inxile (western RPGs), compulsion and ninja theory (narrative driven single player games), etc. it might seem like a mismatch now but they'll serve their purpose later.

That's a very good point, I agree.

Plus I suppose it could be a good idea to go after Playtonic while they're still relatively small and cheap.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I personally dont want this, makes no sense to pick up ex-Rare employees, and Rare still have serious talent with Gregg to begin his own Banjo game (if its for that reason).

Rather MS buy/create JP studio! But secretly i want them to snatch Rocksteady from WB by throwing money at them and licence (not exclusively) the DC IP.

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Said it before, I'll say it again: it would make so much sense if Playtonic worked on Rare IPs like Banjo. Rare wants to work on new IPs and they'd stop getting annoyed by people who want them to do what they did 20 years ago. Fans want new Banjo and such. Playtonic is literally making pretend Rare games without owning the IPs - and they're good games. Microsoft could do with some exclusive retro platformer for their Game Pass. And also Playtonic could probably use that Microsoft money for more stability and bigger budget on their games, as the main issues with YL clearly came from budget limitations.

It's a dream scenario, so hopefully it's true.
i don't know. i almost wonder if Microsoft would merge them back into Rare but as a separate working division, like Rockstar North and Rockstar SD. it would strike me as odd to have Banjo 4 made by not-Rare Rare while the other Rare but-not-really-Rare makes other games, almost like an admission that Rare is just a name and isn't really tied to that history in any real way anymore

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I thought we had figured out that platonic folks can do donkey Kong esq games, not banjo one.

Bushido

Senior Game Designer
Verified
Feb 6, 2018
It would certainly be weird as they'd essentially hire a ton of people who left Rare/Microsoft to work on something independently again, but on the other hand it would make total sense for Playtonic from a financial standpoint. Impossible Lair is an amazing game and so much better than the original Yooka-Laylee, but despite really good reviews it looks like it completely bombed, unfortunately.

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017
i don't know. i almost wonder if Microsoft would merge them back into Rare but as a separate working division, like Rockstar North and Rockstar SD. it would strike me as odd to have Banjo 4 made by not-Rare Rare while the other Rare but-not-really-Rare makes other games, almost like an admission that Rare is just a name and isn't really tied to that history in any real way anymore
The notion that Rare should forever be associated with a stretch of games they released in the late 90s is kind of silly tbh. Viva Pinata, Kinect Sports and Sea of Thieves are as much Rare games as DKC, KI, Goldeneye and Banjo were.

Giving DH and IG the reins to KI and Dlala the reins to BT didn't reduce Rare's "Rareness", and I don't think Playtonic working on Banjo would do that either.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Studios move on from properties all the time, or just parts of it. The main people behind Medal Of Honor moved formed a different studio and made Call Of Duty, then later created another one and moved again to make Titanfall. Epic moved on from Gears Of War but the franchise exists still, same goes for Bungie and Halo. Rare has never been interested in making 500 identical sequels to games, so they tend to make a sequel and 1-2 spin-offs at best usually, that's about it. They've put it quite bluntly more than once: they're more interested in chasing new game experiences rather than doing Banjo-Kazooie 15. Playtonic on the other hand is full of people who worked on games like Banjo, who absolutely want to work on games like Banjo, and there's fan demand for it too, with the character's visibility definitely improved by the Smash appearance.

Microsoft doesn't necessarily need to own Playtonic to give 'em a Banjo project (see that "second party" deal for Blair Witch), and even if they were to buy them it doesn't mean they're showing Rare's uselessness. Sea Of Thieves is one of the multiplayer phenomenons of these past 2 years or so, millions of people played it. They're fine, they can be a great studio even if Banjo is done elsewhere.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
So they'd leave rare so they could finally go back to make the games they wanted which just wouldn't happen under Microsoft...
Only to end up back under Microsoft?

I must be misinterpreting this speculation because surely not.
Unless it's just working with the banjo IP

Sep 29, 2019
I also just remembered reading somewhere that YL and the impossible lair was male or break as the studio was running out of funds. This is why they moved over to the new project very quickly and why it is taking such a long time to release the promised DLC for the original game.

Now however, they are staffing up again and just put YL on Gamepass. Something has to be happening or this is a huge coincidence!

Deleted member 18951

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Xbox, PC and xCloud. There is no need to worry about a need for an audience, it's there already.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Major respect to the original devs of Banjo, but their previous two games left a lot to be desired. I'd rather someone else make a Banjo game

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Some people want Microsoft to buy every company it seems like.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
sure.

1. the banjo series is a niche franchise with a very dedicated following. fans expect quality entries, this is already bad because you have to invest a lot in a game with a limited sales potential. One of the reasons why Nintendo doesn't bother with F-Zero anymore or shelved Metroid for a while.

2. now you bring in a third party developer who doesn't have the ressources or personel to deliver said high quality title and you have to split the revenue with them or aquire them. furthermore, the dev in question hasn't exactly proven to be a worthy acquisition and acquisition are very expensive

3. if you half ass it you risk tarnishing a franchise forever and it's very bad PR for MS.

it's a lot of risk for very little gain.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's the problem. Nintendo is being sad af. This is a great opportunity to have a DK studio, especially if Playtonic didn't mind being bought by Microsoft in the end. It's a great studio with great people.
that's a discussion for another thread, but when you see nintendo doesn't have any interest in buying any studios, even those who they've worked with for decades, i don't think playtonic would be anywhere on their radar.

Status
Not open for further replies.