• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Nov 13, 2017

With all the major players already cast, and with Gordon being Black, people are nearly sure that Jayme Lawson is our new Barbara Gordon. She's so pretty!

Of course, she could also be Firefly or something random.

Freddy=Legend

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 29, 2017
Cool. Is Batgirl the only other Bat-family member in this? Don't know if there have been any rumors of Robin. I'd love to see Robin done well on the big screen.

I still hope to see Stephanie Brown in live action one day too.

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017
Not confirmed yet. Could be playing another character. But she'd look like a cool batgirl.

OP
OP
Nov 13, 2017
Cool. Is Batgirl the only other Bat-family member in this? Don't know if there have been any rumors of Robin. I'd love to see Robin done well on the big screen.

I still hope to see Stephanie Brown in live action one day too.
I'm not sure, but they do want to include Batgirl sooner than later because the alleged Birds of Prey trilogy concludes with Batgirl joining the BoP and facing off against the Gotham City Sirens.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
Cool casting but this movie is seeming so bloated with all of these big-name characters that i'm not quite sure if it'll work.

Star-Lord

Oct 25, 2017
Also the title is misleading, she's in a mysterious role but there's no one suspecting beside the OP she's batgirl.

OP
OP
Nov 13, 2017
Also the title is misleading, she's in a mysterious role but there's no one suspecting beside the OP she's batgirl.
How is it misleading? It literally says speculation, I am the OP. Therefore, it is completely accurate. Not that it matters, but a simple Twitter search would show you that people are indeed speculating. Cut it out.

Star-Lord

Oct 25, 2017
How is it misleading? It literally says speculation, I am the OP. Therefore, it is completely accurate. Not that it matters, but a simple Twitter search would show you that people are indeed speculating. Cut it out.
I guess but you should atleast put the females name who's in the mysterious role. And I meant the people reporting the story. I guess I would have re worded the title of the op to something like The Batman: Jayme Lawson casted in mysterious role.

NTGYK

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
That's a good get for a newbie out of school

Now I hope they don't use Bruce Timms take on the character, Jesus

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017
assuming she's batgirl because she's black and commissioner gordon's black is kinda funny. as if there's no other reason to cast a black woman.

Order

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really feel like this might be the best Batman movie of all time, or at the very least the most interesting

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
assuming she's batgirl because she's black and commissioner gordon's black is kinda funny. as if there's no other reason to cast a black woman.

It says she's playing a role that's under wraps and based on previously rumored casting breakdowns, Batgirl is the only major character left to be cast.

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
characters can be in movies for 5 minutes you know. I think Matt Reeves is gonna have this be an anchor for his trilogy, introduce all players, then flesh them out in the other films

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Quite a lot of characters in this, hopefully it doesn't turn out to be DC's version of Amazing Spider-Man 2. Great opportunity for Jayme if true.

CassCade

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Good for her, this movie has a lot of characters, it'll be interesting to see how Matt Reeves handles it.

Oct 27, 2017
Good.

Now who's playing Robin?

Chris O'Donnell.

How is this movie packed?

People for some reason are used to the formula where any superhero movie has the hero, maybe one sidekick, and no more than three villains, of which only one is the lead in the other two are more henchmen. I'm not sure why that's the case, things have been moving away from that for a long time. Pretty much every movie is capable of balancing multiple different characters, it comes down to the writing and the directing to make that work; there's no reason to think that a movie having lots of characters will somehow be an incoherent mess.

Good actors can also pack a lot of content into even a small performance, it's basically what character actors are famous for, so there's no reason to think small screen time= poor characterization. And this movie has some damn good actors in it so I think it's going to be just fine.

Last edited:

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It only feels like "too many characters" because we have a history with these characters and expect them to have a lot of screentime when really some of them may only be on screen for a few minutes. Just like the average movie has many characters that play roles of differing sizes, so does this movie.

Like, we don't complain that Lady Bird has "too many characters".

Oct 27, 2017
It only feels like "too many characters" because we have a history with these characters and expect them to have a lot of screentime when really some of them may only be on screen for a few minutes. Just like the average movie has many characters that play roles of differing sizes, so does this movie.

This is exactly true. We're not used to really seeing it with superhero films, avengers not withstanding, and that was considered kind of groundbreaking for it. Of course with infinity war an endgame it became even more cutting edge in terms of that sort of scale and scope with that many actors, and I think there's a presumption that since those movies had such build up overtime every move he needs to have that kind of set up if you're going to have multiple characters like that. Which isn't the case, especially if the rumors are true of the story that they might be drawing inspiration from for this.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017

100% true. People act like they are going to need to give Batgirl and Penguin a 20-30 minute origin exposition or something. People for the most part know who those characters are, and you can drive it home via their interactions with other characters. It ain't rocket science.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
The original Batgirl is Commission Gordon's daughter. She could obviously be playing another role, but it's not an unreasonable thing to assume.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
They're recasting batman, and the first movie he's in will have batgirl??

Shouldn't they just try and get Batman right first? lol

I feel like any superhero movie that tries too much fails at everything.
I guess we'll see

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
They're recasting batman, and the first movie he's in will have batgirl??

Shouldn't they just try and get Batman right first? lol

I feel like any superhero movie that tries too much fails at everything.
I guess we'll see

It's not an origin movie. And Batman's rogues gallery and family are well known though that you don't really need a ton of exposition to explain who they are and how they work in a singular story if done well.
They do it in the comics all the time.

OP
OP
Nov 13, 2017
1. In the very first post I also say she could be Firefly. That's why the title says speculation at the very beginning.
2. Don't be this person. You know exactly what you're trying to imply here and I see right through whatever self-righteous nonsense you're trying to pull off.

In other news, whether or not she's Batgirl, I'm glad we finally have a Gotham City that isn't entirely white people.

Azzazel

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how well is going to translate to the big screen seeing the arc of a thirty year old man grooming two teenagers to fight crime on the streets.