• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

s y

Nov 8, 2017
they could realease it this year and have it launch with awful performance and a fuckton of bugs on console like they did with the Witcher 3.

Nassudan

Oct 27, 2017
I hope so because this is really the only game I'm hyped for.
I also hope not too soon because I need to build a new PC for this.

OP
OP

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
I can easily see it dropping at the very end of this year and then the next-gen versions releasing as launch titles for the PS5 and the Xbox Anaconda. That way, the game is finally released and they meet their deadline and also they can release the enhanced/next-gen versions in 2020 to coincide with the July 7th 2020 date, just to be kitschy-cool ;)

OP
OP

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
How is saying it isn't launching in 2019 the "exact same thing?"
He says he expects that they just might announce it for this year, but then delay it into the first quarter of next year. If they announce the release date for this year and they hit that date - then it's this year. If it's delayed into the first three months of next year - then it's early next year.

That's what I'm saying and that's what he is saying as well.

Personally, I think that it will be released this December - but I also say that it could be as early as February of next year. Either way that's soon.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Q2 next year at the latest probably. Whatever it is, probably less than 12 months from now.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I don't get the belief that this drops this year.

This always seemed like a guaranteed 2020 release to me.

But then, I guess I thought the same of Death Stranding.
Death Stranding is a much smaller game in scope, not really comparable. #team 2020 for cyberpunk

OP
OP

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
Death Stranding is a much smaller game in scope, not really comparable. #team 2020 for cyberpunk
We don't know that yet. Kojima and his team worked hard for around 4 years on Death Stranding - even starting a brand new studio in the process. For all we know, it could be the largest open-world game ever made, so lets wait until we hear some reviews first before jumping to the conclusion that it's small in scope ;)

masizzai

Nov 28, 2017
Jason came in the thread personally and said it's possible. Maybe a team with a clear and consice vision can do wonders in the right amount of time.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
We don't know that yet. Kojima and his team worked hard for around 4 years on Death Stranding - even starting a brand new studio in the process. For all we know, it could be the largest open-world game ever made, so lets wait until we hear some reviews first before jumping to the conclusion that it's small in scope ;)

The bolded leads me to believe there isn't a chance that the rest of your statement can be true.

Look at the size of Ubi open world games and the 1000+ dev team that is working to get those games out every 2-3 years now.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The bolded leads me to believe there isn't a chance that the rest of your statement can be true.

Look at the size of Ubi open world games and the 1000+ dev team that is working to get those games out every 2-3 years now.

Difference is Death Stranding won't have dense populations of people or complicated simulated traffic or anything.

Some of the screens do make it look huge, maybe not biggest open world ever, but certainly large.

death-stranding-ce-qu-il-faut-comprendre.jpg

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
Summer 2020 at the earliest, and more likely in line with console launches or shortly thereafter. People have been predicting this game coming far too early all along.

Yasuke

Oct 25, 2017
I'm excited for more news, but I've already made up my mind I'll just be waiting to play it on PS5 if this thing drops any later than February.

No chance in hell.

OP
OP

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
Rush this shit out already so I can start complaining about how rushed it is!
Haha!

It's not being rushed though - this game has been in development for about 7 years now.

Look at what was said by CD Projekt Red in their Q1 2019 financial report:
0tvc_jDh504mwpVxGJ_3ZmX7j95_v8CwxncxES67dFAoK479wRv1YcTaPhnv5Ep_8J7jhZkUi0BtiPq1cszfqC6fzsMRPq1Cefu9hrdN9GKxEaR5YvhDbO8fwI7GeK5GIRMM1iPkndXshhS2GYgK-DLm28tAxXZUb9a25aHPLoL-E8tWQ2n6R5s4RHevcyLBKAc6qBX0WIdPnNZiXupo4qA5PIo8DnaNuRuymuskndAM98hYatfY_nGOe95c5Qh1yczGxtGbrVUL3BmY765G0abOnhdyUfF03Gae1tji41DU4WUqrdBzjhe34oEbsGJBLqA-ZRH5k4uDkmvLaCoKROxhIbe56WxCSqgGhxctretisFfeiXCINqH007stRLcwRlu9cRRsUtwVHpfM8zTsahQOY6ycxIv5F1ZIQfQn5cRUmfAcWupc1g8sLgzv2MmXa4nihk5vRl8lxlUkr-W2dSqEk4MhWcveWay_KZ1ISuVoDj8AkHzhijSElJWpQNispAHG1L4u8xDcNkMzpS5aNpTpNF3y9uH-Ty2dZnYT7kXGlG4zeCseU38VsqNaaIzjhFSHS5SgB3fqw3dBDG3X2jfoKlnIk7PAgRs5-LwXePvA4x86jl8r_eMQVh6_iOe9y05DeP51ubEMaV24T61cHl_A9Icga8-8dPJ2k9SQHgGFHRQNC5f8IcV8m3SC5RwJk5zNjQ5_IdmTMy2zsG5lt2k4=w1440-h672-no

CD Projekt Red said:
"CD Projekt Red usually takes between 2 and 4 years to produce a game. Initial development work occurs before the previous game in the series is complete and ready to be released."
This game has been in development since at least 2012.

OP
OP

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
May 2020.

I've been saying this for a while now.
We'll find out Sunday.

I've been saying that for a little while now lol

Seriously, I'm wanting an avatar bet on this - I'm that certain.

To clarify as stated in the OP, my position is that it will release by December of this year, or within the first 2 months of next year.

No way this game is out this year. Absolutely none.
Most everyone said the same thing about Death Stranding.

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
Schreier just told y'all shits not happening. Not in 2019.

People are literally hoping against hope this launches "soon" - I pray it's actually a finished game that doesn't need a dozen patches after launch when it does hit.

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
Haha!

It's not being rushed though - this game has been in development for about 7 years now.

Look at what was said by CD Projekt Red in their Q1 2019 financial report:
0tvc_jDh504mwpVxGJ_3ZmX7j95_v8CwxncxES67dFAoK479wRv1YcTaPhnv5Ep_8J7jhZkUi0BtiPq1cszfqC6fzsMRPq1Cefu9hrdN9GKxEaR5YvhDbO8fwI7GeK5GIRMM1iPkndXshhS2GYgK-DLm28tAxXZUb9a25aHPLoL-E8tWQ2n6R5s4RHevcyLBKAc6qBX0WIdPnNZiXupo4qA5PIo8DnaNuRuymuskndAM98hYatfY_nGOe95c5Qh1yczGxtGbrVUL3BmY765G0abOnhdyUfF03Gae1tji41DU4WUqrdBzjhe34oEbsGJBLqA-ZRH5k4uDkmvLaCoKROxhIbe56WxCSqgGhxctretisFfeiXCINqH007stRLcwRlu9cRRsUtwVHpfM8zTsahQOY6ycxIv5F1ZIQfQn5cRUmfAcWupc1g8sLgzv2MmXa4nihk5vRl8lxlUkr-W2dSqEk4MhWcveWay_KZ1ISuVoDj8AkHzhijSElJWpQNispAHG1L4u8xDcNkMzpS5aNpTpNF3y9uH-Ty2dZnYT7kXGlG4zeCseU38VsqNaaIzjhFSHS5SgB3fqw3dBDG3X2jfoKlnIk7PAgRs5-LwXePvA4x86jl8r_eMQVh6_iOe9y05DeP51ubEMaV24T61cHl_A9Icga8-8dPJ2k9SQHgGFHRQNC5f8IcV8m3SC5RwJk5zNjQ5_IdmTMy2zsG5lt2k4=w1440-h672-no

This game has been in development since at least 2012.
That's not what it says. They are clearly talking in reference to the games they have shipped. There is no previous game in the series for Cyberpunk 2077. They have also gone on record to state that announcing it before Witcher 3 was a mistake as they did not have the man power to handle two large scale projects. The game was like pre production til Witcher 3 was released, with full on production beginning after the second expansion.

HK-47

Oct 25, 2017
Schreier just told y'all shits not happening. Not in 2019.

People are literally hoping against hope this launches "soon" - I pray it's actually a finished game that doesn't need a dozen patches after launch when it does hit.
I want it when it is finished and hopefully with the least crunch, though I fear that will not be true

OP
OP

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
That's not what it says. They are clearly talking in reference to the games they have shipped. There is no previous game in the series for Cyberpunk 2077. They have also gone on record to state that announcing it before Witcher 3 was a mistake as they did not have the man power to handle two large scale projects. The game was like pre production til Witcher 3 was released, with full on production beginning after the second expansion.
The way that reads to me is that when they are working on one game, they are scripting or pre-visioning the next game. At that point, development is considered to be officially started on that next game and when they released that trailer in 2013, it was to drum up hype to get staff hired - because they were already working on it.

Do you really think that nothing was done on it from 2013 to 2015?? Even at that, it's been 4 years since 2015 - it's nearly ready to go :)

Again, look at Death Stranding - nobody would have predicted that it was coming out this year - or even by the end of next year - and yet, it's releasing in 5 months.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
No way, I'm sure they tried really hard for a 2019 release date but even they know it's better having a 2020 release than a broken/disappointing one.

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
The way that reads to me is that when they are working on one game, they are scripting or pre-visioning the next game. At that point, development is considered to be officially started on that next game and when they released that trailer in 2013, it was to drum up hype to get staff hired - because they were already working on it.

Do you really think that nothing was done on it from 2013 to 2015?? Even at that, it's been 4 years since 2015 - it's nearly ready to go :)

Again, look at Death Stranding - nobody would have predicted that it was coming out this year - or even by the end of next year - and yet, it's releasing in 5 months.
Death Stranding is not a 100 hours game with dialogue choices. It will probably also ship with fewer localizations than Cyberpunk.

I won't be surprised if Cyberpunk releases this year. Just doesn't seem likely that it has been in development for 7 years. 4 years tops with anymore being early pre- production planning phase not part of actual development.

OP
OP

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
Death Stranding is not a 100 hours game with dialogue choices. It will probably also ship with fewer localizations than Cyberpunk.

I won't be surprised if Cyberpunk releases this year. Just doesn't seem likely that it has been in development for 7 years. 4 years tops with anymore being early pre- production planning phase not part of actual development.
No one has said that Cyberpunk 2077 will be a 100 hours game either - although I hope that it is and then some.

Incidentally, Death Stranding is a Sony exclusive title - it will ship with every localization possible.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Thank god this nightmare will end next week. I'm tired of all these Team 2019/2020 speculations.

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
Cyberpunk 2077 has been in development for long enough to ensure that it is pretty polished by this point. 400+ devs since 2015 say so :)

Have you not seen the several hints that have come out that basically imply the game has undergone several revisions in terms of game systems and side content?

Heck, I remember earlier this year they said they don't even know where/what they'd put in for a gwent like side-game.

Not that the game necessarily needs one, but there's a difference between saying 'I don't know where that system would go' and 'yes/no we are/aren't going to have that type of minigame'.

I'm as hopeful for 2019 as the next person, but at this point I'm thinking they announce for November, and then release to March-May of next year.

Could something else happen? Maybe, but I'm choosing to be cautiously pessimistic.

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
No one has said that Cyberpunk 2077 will be a 100 hours game either - although I hope that it is and then some.

Incidentally, Death Stranding is a Sony exclusive title - it will ship with every localization possible.
CDPR said last E3 we can expect about similar playtime as Witcher 3. Main and side stuff considered, it's gonna be a huge game regardless.

The amount of dialogue in Cyberpunk alone would be a mammoth task. Witcher 3 has 300 hours of audio recordings spoken by over 800 npcs. Geralt has around 70,000 lines of dialogue. V has both male and female voice overs. Cyberpunk is also multiplatform unlike Death Stranding. Whichever way you slice it, the scope of Cyberpunk will dwarf Death Stranding. CDPR is a bigger studio thats why I give Cyberpunk the likelihood of releasing this year.

OP
OP

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
CDPR said last E3 we can expect about similar playtime as Witcher 3. Main and side stuff considered, it's gonna be a huge game regardless.

The amount of dialogue in Cyberpunk alone would be a mammoth task. Witcher 3 has 300 hours of audio recordings spoken by over 800 npcs. Geralt has around 70,000 lines of dialogue. V has both male and female voice overs. Cyberpunk is also multiplatform unlike Death Stranding. Whichever way you slice it, the scope of Cyberpunk will dwarf Death Stranding. CDPR is a bigger studio thats why I give Cyberpunk the likelihood of releasing this year.
Death Stranding is made by a team of roughly 100 individuals - that's 100 less than the 400+ that comprise the CD Projekt Red team that is making Cyberpunk 2077.

I also see people mention that voice recording isn't completed yet for Cyberpunk 2077 - again, May 28th *last month*, Kojima tweeted about them doing the Japanese voice over for the game - which would be the same amount of dialogue - if not more - as it would have taken for any other dialogue it's releasing in...and the game is coming out November 8th of this year. Less than 6 months away from release and they're just now recording a set of dialogue. Amazing.

400+ people can do a lot more than 100 people.