• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Could we see Nintendo porting their games to Xbox/Windows Store/Gamepass/XCloud/etc.?

• Yes

Votes: 4 2.0%
  • No

Votes: 188 93.5%
  • Bayonetta in Killer Instinct 2

Votes: 9 4.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Pointy

Oct 28, 2017
tldr: Nintendo should bring NSO and maybe older Switch games and HD remakes to Xbox/PC.

It appears Microsoft are porting their older games to the Nintendo Switch. There are other rumored games on the way too. And, theoretically, the XCloud version of Gamepass may turn up on the platform too. My presumption is that if Microsoft are to do such a thing, it's for that platform agnostic MAU subscription money.

Would Nintendo reciprocate and port their games or services to Xbox platforms and/or PC, like the Windows Store? The Nvidia Shield in China has GC/Wii era games, but Nvidia provide the Switch's hardware, so it's not that different to something like the Panasonic Q existing. It seems Nintendo's whole idea of bringing their properties to mobile or... theme parks is marketing their hardware and games on that hardware. So functionally, a port of anything on a different system would basically be advertising the Switch.

Anyway, let's speculate on things because it's fun...

nintendo-switch-online-logo.svg

Nintendo Switch Online is a thing that exists to squeeze money out of people who want to play online on the Switch. As bonuses, they get a slowly updating list of NES games and Tetris 99. Maybe, Nintendo will add SNES games. I think there is a chance that NSO make it onto PC or Xbox as kind of a Virtual Console thing with its own exclusive games like Tetris 99. It would just be Nintendo's retro gaming Netflix thing. Of course, Nintendo would have to justify the value of NSO outside of the online service to people with Xbox Live Gold and Gamepass.

I would see this as a way for Nintendo to enhance the NSO experience for Switch owners, or to get people without a Switch to look at getting one via playing with their nostalgia.

It could be a way to get people who are on the single user account to upgrade to the more expensive family account, if Nintendo go that way. Or they could add another pay tier for cross-device support. But it'd be an excuse for Nintendo to get more subscription income, which is the fashion today.

Also, port NSO to phones. Add Bluetooth support for Joycons and Switch Pro Controllers.

event-poster-10036825.jpg

Ports of Nintendo games already on Switch could be a possibly, but it'd depend on what Nintendo want to port. Microsoft appear to be porting games to Switch that have been on Xbox for a while and/or mesh well with the Switch as a hybrid portable with a big indie/retro pull. I think the Wii U to Switch ports would have better chances to appear on Xbox/PC as they're already a few years old and there would be less 'anxiety' compared to Nintendo porting over their Switch exclusive library. I don't think Nintendo would port something like Splatoon 2, Fire Emblem: Three Houses or Zelda BOTW. For an example, I was thinking that Nintendo could port Mario Kart 8 Deluxe because, while it's the biggest Switch game around, the core game is 5 years old and it's a good multiplayer game. It runs at 60fps and it'd probably would look great in 4K. The game still sells well on Switch, but if Mario Kart 9 happens then it's possible that MK8D's legs are gone. New Mario Kart games don't tend to make their predecessor obsolete, but we've never had two 'new' Mario Karts on one system before. So porting MK8D to another system like PC and Xbox could give it some new longevity. It's already sold 25 million copies, what's another 10 million?

Here's a thought - Bayonetta 2. The first game was almost a 360 exclusive because the PS3 version shat the bed so hard. The game is already 5 years old. Why not bring it to Xbox/PC after Bayonetta 3 comes out on Switch? Let Sega publish it.

super-mario-galaxy-header.jpg

Nvidia are or were (I don't know if they've done any more) porting GC and Wii era games like Mario Galaxy, Punch-Out and Twilight Princess. I don't know if they'll appear on the Switch, but they should. I don't know what Nintendo's strategy is for remakes of their older games. But ideally, I think they should be on Switch and then ported to Xbox/PC at later date. I don't even know what's happening with Metroid Prime Trilogy.

So this is what I've been thinking of for the past 3 days while waiting for the next GT Sport update. Please discuss.

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
I want to say no, but I also didn't think there'd be official Mario phone games, so what do I know? PC ports seem plausible I guess.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Why though? Porting a game you'd otherwise need a Switch to play isn't 'advertising'. It's taking away a reason to buy it in the first place... Furthermore, why would they give someone else what is essentially a better version of their software (because it wouldn't be running on the Switch)? It would just make their offering look worse.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No

There is no deal between the two companies. MS wants their brand everywhere and Nintendo said ok.

Nothing more, nothing less

Iori Fuyusaka

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've never seen a poll where the results were 100% "no" before this thread.

EDIT: Who fucking ruined it?!?

GDGF

Oct 26, 2017
Nah. Nintendo knows they need their exclusives. It would be like Disney selling off their IP.

ZanderEzekial

Oct 25, 2017
Cyberspace
I have more faith that Nintendo would burn their archives and laugh on the ashes of their source code than port their games to any other console.

It's what Yamauchi would have wanted.

baggage

Oct 25, 2017
maybe a few things but they'd be the strangest picks imaginable, like

Game and Watch Gallery 3. that's it

Sirhc

Hasn't made a thread yet. Shame me.
Oct 27, 2017
Hard no, makes 0 business sense.

Who voted yes? Was that you OP?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
No. The Nintendo/Microsoft relationship is pretty much entirely one-sided out of Microsoft's desperation to get eyes on their games any way possible.

Nintendo has no reason to bother with putting their games on Microsoft's hardware or services. They don't need it.

KamenSenshi

Nov 27, 2017
Nintendo gains nothing from this idea. Their games can basically carry systems,why would they lower themselves to this if they absolutely don't need to? They'd then have to get people for porting and all that, Nintendo isn't that big and seemingly doesn't want to get any bigger than they really need to.

Kent

Jun 4, 2018
As neat as it would be to see, this seems incredibly unlikely.

That said, Bayonetta in Killer Instinct.

AmFreak

Oct 26, 2017
No because it would weaken their own platform.
And if they did why would they put it on Ms platforms only - makes even less sense.

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just get a switch if you wanna play their games. They're never gonna port to other consoles or pc as long as they're making their own. Old or new it all stays on Nintendo.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
I don't see why they would. The way I've always looked at it, Nintendo systems really sell almost solely based on their first-party stuff -although Switch with its portability feels a little different, also that they're getting decent 3rd party support for a change (even if not as good as other platforms).

Just feels like putting their stuff on another platform would take away the biggest reason to own a Nintendo system to me.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo barely ported their games to the Nvidia Shield, and that was only to get into the Chinese market. If you want to play Nintendo games off of their hardware, its' either going to be mobile spinoffs or emulators.

Bartis

Dec 30, 2017
I only see this happening when Nintendo is in a really tight spot (worse than their Wii U period). Which they are not in, so no. This won'thappen

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
As evidenced by their mobile strategy, Nintendo isn't interested in making money. They're interested in their brand, which is irrevocably tied to their own hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.