• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

R0987

Avenger
Jan 20, 2018
Actually there a two unannounced ps5 SKU's but those are not slated to release for at least three years.

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know why people suddenly expect Sony to replicate what MS is doing. Last time I checked they are the market leader.

score01

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, I think there is a third unannounced PS5 sku. Problem is the Pro sku wont be announced for another 3 years at least

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
No is my guess... The only 3rd console we are getting from sony is a ps5 pro in a few years.

ron_bato

Oct 25, 2017
No. I think they managed to keep the DE a secret because it's essentially the PS5 without a disc drive and therefore it was just the PS5 dev kit and spec sheet out there.

I think having to simultaneously launch two SKUs is going to be challenging enough, launching a third, given this climate would be near impossible.

Bitch Pudding

Oct 25, 2017
499?

Is that official?
Nope. Something like that would need to be in devkit so that games can be designed for it and from there it woukd have leaked.
Lol.desinging apu takes 2 years minimum .so no
Nah, it'd have leaked if it was in anyway significantly different, due to a shitload of devs needing to know. And outside of a low end version not sure why they'd have a 3rd with Disc and Digital covered.

350.png

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know why people suddenly expect Sony to replicate what MS is doing. Last time I checked they are the market leader.

It's not just that, people are expecting Sony to be able and motivated to outmanoeuvre Microsoft on every aspect when they have a different set of priorities that means they are probably not able to and almost certainly don't need to(as the market leader).

A ton of people expect them to undercut the Series X price even though there is no need to.

Nostradamus

Oct 28, 2017
There is no way Sony is hiding a whole other version of console without some info leaking. The DE is the same as the regular version so it doesn't apply. The issue is that they can't really play around with storage since going above will be very expensive while going below is probably impossible (?) the way their I/O structured.

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
YES! That's why they are silent, they are busy now producing the PS5 SE after seeing the Series S. It will take a few days, wait for the announcement end of September.

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
They kept DE under wraps because they didn't need to tell anyone a discless version was coming plus they only had a CG to show and no actual console.

Another sku with different specs would need to be communicated with the partners so they develop games for it and it would ultimately leak just like everything (8tf initial devkits, they aiming for 2ghz+ afterwards, etc) has.

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
No, I don't think they will need a 1080p version to sell out in the first year.
Unless the PS5DE will be €700 :p

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019
Yes, and the PS5DE & PS5 will be $349.99/$399.99, and they'll crush the Xbox, and Xbox will die and never be heard from again.

But actually no.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Nah, there's no dev kit for it so that's not going to happen. For the Series S, the XBOX dev kit has for the longest time allowed developers to switch between 'S' and 'X' mode. The PS5 dev kit doesn't have such a mode, so even if they did announce a new model now, devs wouldn't have had time to adapt their games for it.

Most PS5 games I'm aware of have gone gold now. So a new SKU now seems like an impossibility.