• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
This Halloween I want to watch a film with my parents. My father has no problem with tense, spooky, or even bloody moments in films but my mother is just the opposite. When some image of this kind displays she covers her eyes with her hands to not watch it. She does it even when thinks something like that can show.

So, do any of you know a Halloween film (in regards to tone, mood, etc.) that is spooky but more in a tense (not like an horror film, more like a thriller) way than in a graphic one? Family horror films may be ok, but better if they recent ones. Please avoid animation films if possible too. It´s my jam, but not theirs.

I know this may not be an easy one. Thanks in advance.

Oct 27, 2017
Would something like The Ring be too intense for your mom? Outside of some shocking images in the beginning and ending, it's mostly a spooky mystery story.

Oct 28, 2017
61lozmconl._sx342_3cjgb.jpg

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Sign up for a free trial of Shudder and watch Hell House LLC. There's some blood but I don't really remember any gory moments.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
It Comes at Night is extremely tense but largely bloodless. There are only a couple, short, kinda gross bits, but they are not gory. It was widely criticized for being more thriller than horror (though I disagree with this evaluation) when it came out.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Halloween 3 or Trick R Treat

Not just great Halloween horror, but horror immersed in the Halloween spirit: costumes, rituals, pumpkins and candy, etc

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
Halloween 3 or Trick R Treat

Not just great Halloween horror, but horror immersed in the Halloween spirit: costumes, rituals, pumpkins and candy, etc

Uh, Halloween 3 has a part where a dude burrows his hand into another dude's eye sockets and crushes his nasal cavity. Pretty sure OP is looking for specifically not that.

Rydeen

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA.
Monster Squad
Army of Darkness
The Old Dark House
Any of the Vincent Price Poe films (Fall of The House of Usher, Masque of The Red Death, Tales of Terror)
Viy (Russian, 1967)

Noaloha

Oct 27, 2017
The recent Scary Stories To Tell In The Dark is a good movie for the season. Nothing mega gory since its angle is 'for early teens, BUT we want to give you bad dreams'. Some intense scenes if bugs are a problem.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
You're trying to thread a hell of a needle here.

Just watch What We Do in the Shadows. Everyone will have a good laugh and it will fit with the theme.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
Enemy would be my pick as well.
I don't think any other movie has made me feel so wierded out and uncomfortable.
Fantastic psychological drama/thriller

If you want more traditional, I have a weak spot for What Lies Beneath.

Enemy is barely horror, and it's certainly not something I'd recommend you watch with your family.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Uh, Halloween 3 has a part where a dude burrows his hand into another dude's eye sockets and crushes his nasal cavity. Pretty sure OP is looking for specifically not that.

It also has snakes and insects bursting from a little kid's head while his parents watch.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
It also has snakes and insects bursting from a little kid's head while his parents watch.

Yeah but you don't really see it. Out of context, it looks like someone pranked that kid by giving him a mask filled with bugs.

Though there is a shot of a woman missing her mouth.

Deleted member 6949

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You're trying to thread a hell of a needle here.

Just watch What We Do in the Shadows. Everyone will have a good laugh and it will fit with the theme.

This is good advice. Some of the movies in this thread have super gory moments that will fuck your mom up. Like someone mentioned It Follows, and 5 minutes into that movie you see a woman's broken body with her leg ripped off at the knee.