• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Preface: Please don't post that dumb viral "Megatsunami will destroy the US East Coast" nonsense it's not a real threat.

Video of the Eruption
https://twitter.com/rtvces/status/1439594117521186816?s=21

www.theguardian.com

Canary Islands: 5,000 evacuated as La Palma volcano eruptions continue

At least 20 homes destroyed and people told to stay away as lava pours from volcano on Spanish island

A volcano has erupted on the Spanish Canary Island of La Palma after a week of building seismic activity.

A huge column of smoke rose up after the eruption at 3.15 pm local time (14:15 GMT) in the Cumbre Vieja national park in the south of the island, according to the Canary Islands government.

Just before, authorities evacuated about 40 people with mobility problems and farm animals from the villages around the volcano.
Soldiers were deployed to help with the evacuation, the defence ministry said, and it is expected that more people will be evacuated from surrounding towns.

You can watch live in Spanish
here: https://twitter.com/i/broadcasts/1ypKdgqvrwnxW

The Eruption is near some houses too and already started fires :/

Hope everyone is/stays safe… Volcanos are nothing to play with…

Tuck

Oct 25, 2017
I've been tracking this for days. I'm supposed to travel to the canary islands in one week and la Palma was the island I wanted to visit most. Will keep an eye on this. If need be I'll go to el hierro instead.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
there's been quakes for a while and people are intently watching. This volcano has gone off and highly studied. Unless something crazy happens I doubt we'll see another St. Helens
Did they try to build trenches or something to mitigate damage due to lava flow? Is that something you can do or did avatar lie to me

OP
OP
Senator Toadstool

Senator Toadstool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Did they try to build trenches or something to mitigate damage due to lava flow? Is that something you can do or did avatar lie to me
Not sure. Don't see anything about it in the Spanish Press. They did say lava has damaged some houses and they're fearful of stronger earthquakes damaging more
elpais.com

La erupción del volcán en La Palma obliga a una evacuación masiva

El plan de traslado ha afectado ya a 5.000 vecinos. “No es previsible que haya que evacuar a nadie más”, asegura el presidente de Canarias, Ángel Víctor Torres

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
The live stream is quite spectacular right now. That's a lot of lava getting down the mountain. But the situation seems to be under control, besides the property destruction.

OP
OP
Senator Toadstool

Senator Toadstool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The live stream is quite spectacular right now. That's a lot of lava getting down the mountain. But the situation seems to be under control, besides the property destruction.
Yeah they went through an eruption in 71 and it's a heavily studied mountain so they had plans in place

Oct 28, 2017
Sucks for the people who lost their houses, but it seems like fortunately there are no deaths or injuries so far

The images are quite spectacular. That volcano in Iceland seems tiny in comparison

vulkan-cumbre-vieja-lava-rauch-101~_v-videowebl.jpg

vulkan-cumbre-vieja-lava-rauch-109~_v-videowebl.jpg

Cubo

May 14, 2018
This video is spectacular but so sad at the same time. When the camera moves to reveal all the houses that seem to be in the way of the lava flow...

OP
OP
Senator Toadstool

Senator Toadstool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This video is spectacular but so sad at the same time. When the camera moves to reveal all the houses that seem to be in the way of the lava flow...

wow. watching he natural world interact with our man made infrastructure it makes sense how up until 200 or so years and the advent of the scientific menthod we didn't know what the fuck was going on. hell, plate tectonics is like only 50 years old

fleeting

Oct 27, 2017
So there are actual volcano deniers in Spain now?

"Why does the lava come out the side and not the top?", talking about how it was provoked with mirror satellites etc. All as a distraction from various things (corona virus related things, increasing electricity prices, etc).

vastag

Oct 26, 2017

"Why does the lava come out the side and not the top?", talking about how it was provoked with mirror satellites etc. All as a distraction from various things (corona virus related things, increasing electricity prices, etc).

HAARP beams, lol. This is the same type of people that believe in reptilians. Idiots like those have always been around.

Holy shit that video, lava is scary.

blackhawk163

Oct 28, 2017
User Warned: Drive-By; Thread Derail
Isn't this one of the islands that's literally being torn in two? With one of the catastrophic effects is that the western half of the island slides into the ocean causing a massive tsunami destroying the east coast of the United States?

OP
OP
Senator Toadstool

Senator Toadstool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think your thinking of the azores but neither is being "torn apart" the azores I think is on a fault zone

meant to quote: blackhawk163

also i specifically in the op said this was bull shit

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017

yeshhhhh, fuck them tbh
I have been watching the news from the peninsula, thankfully there was no loss of life.

Javier23

Oct 28, 2017
What the actual fuck are you talking about

https://www.researchgate.net/public...al_collapse_and_tsunami_at_La_Palma_Canary_Is

It has been disproven, though.
I think your thinking of the azores but neither is being "torn apart" the azores I think is on a fault zone

meant to quote: blackhawk163

also i specifically in the op said this was bull shit
No, he is actually talking about La Palma. The old story was that the eruption of Cumbre Vieja would cause a massive section of the island to fall into the ocean.

Edit: had the wrong link up.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Senator Toadstool

Senator Toadstool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

vastag

Oct 26, 2017
Looking at photos of the lava flow, holy shit, some of the images are both spectacular and terrifiying:

1632217959_583612_1632218051_noticia_normal_recorte1.jpg

Max|Payne

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Joder! I'm glad people are safe but it still sucks losing your whole house and possibly livelyhood in such circumstances.

Stay safe, La Palma!

Last edited:

Cubo

May 14, 2018
Joder! I'm glad people are safe but it still sucks losing your whole house and possibly livelyhood in such circumstances.

Stay safe, Las Palmas!

Just a small correction, it's La Palma, which is one of the islands of the Canary Islands. Las Palmas is a province (to which La Palma actually doesn't belong) and also a city in Gran Canaria, another of the Canary Islands. Then you have Palma, the capital of Mallorca, but that's another archipelago.

Max|Payne

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Just a small correction, it's La Palma, which is one of the islands of the Canary Islands. Las Palmas is a province (to which La Palma actually doesn't belong) and also a city in Gran Canaria, another of the Canary Islands. Then you have Palma, the capital of Mallorca, but that's another archipelago.
Oh shit, my bad! Corrected it.

mantidor

Oct 25, 2017
Preface: Please don't post that dumb viral "Megatsunami will destroy the US East Coast" nonsense it's not a real threat.

Try telling this to Brazilians who are actually farther away lol, I was almost expelled from a whatsapp group for telling them they were being dramatic.

Its funny how this alarmist fake news disseminate, like, if there was such a threat, that could actually have such a devastating effect that far away from the actual volcano, what then it could do to the actual coast of Spain, Portugal or the UK? (not to mention all the Caribbean islands in the way), but these viral posts don't even mention these countries.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017

If we would be able to create volcanic eruptions with mirror satellites we would so close to be able to terraform Mars.

theDidact

Oct 25, 2017
This is crazy. I spent 6 months on that island and can place memories in a bunch of these photos.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Not even a volcano can get in the way of a Canarian dude and his papas con mojo.

Volcanoes negationists are amazing. As are all the couch volcanoes experts. You hear the funniest shit these days.

Rubmifer

Oct 28, 2017
Been there 4 years ago, it's a beautiful peaceful island with gorgeous nature. I actually had this on my list for me and my gf's vacation last week, but we decided on doing the south of france. Dodged a bullet. (Although the photographer in me would have loved to take pictures of it, can't deny)

Cubo

May 14, 2018
Huge explosions taking place right now. Scary af.

Last edited: