• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

White people throwing in a few Spanish lines: Is it pandering?

• Yes

Votes: 159 38.1%
  • No

Votes: 87 20.9%
  • Depends on the situation

Votes: 171 41.0%

• Total voters

Christian

Oct 25, 2017
My wife is a native Spanish speaker, and she appreciates it when people make an effort to speak in Spanish, even if they're not incredibly skilled at it.

amon37

Oct 27, 2017
As a white person in general and as a resident of Arizona which has a high native Spanish speaking community, I will only try much extremely limited spanish skills on people who I already know and use it to try and learn the language more. I wouldn't ever use it to random people or millions of people I don't know.

FeliciaFelix

Oct 27, 2017
It's funny, my wife is Ecuadorian, and she was a bit confused about the random Spanish. But, her very scientific rankings as far as how they sounded:

1. Beto
2. Castro
3. AOC on the Colbert aftershow
156. Booker

I had no idea AOC spoke Spanish and had to look it up. Neither she or Castro sound terribly natural either.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
It's funny, my wife is Ecuadorian, and she was a bit confused about the random Spanish. But, her very scientific rankings as far as how they sounded:

1. Beto
2. Castro
156. Booker
What the hell, AOC sounds like somebody who spoke Spanish at home, if not a first language, it's definitely a mother tongue for her:

Beto is just a mess who looks like he learned one phrase and couldn't even remember it correctly.

And of course I'm very respectful of people who try speaking a foreign language and have trouble, I have been there myself with both English and French, but this looks very dishonest and like pure pandering because you know the dude isn't really going to use it in his daily life.

Oct 27, 2017
We have a President with dozens of assault and harassment accusations being levied against him, and we're concerned about pandering through some bilingual display?
Maybe you can't, but the rest of us can focus on more than 1 thing at a time. Talking about this doesn't mean we're suddenly unconcerned about other stuff

QuantumZebra

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My wife is a native Spanish speaker, and she appreciates it when people make an effort to speak in Spanish, even if they're not incredibly skilled at it.

I would speak in broken Spanish while I was learning it in college to Spanish-speakers that worked at places I frequented (trying to order a sub in Spanish, etc...). They all seemed to get a kick out of it and were helpful.

I could see how it would be viewed as pandering if a politician did it, though.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Maybe you can't, but the rest of us can focus on more than 1 thing at a time. Talking about this doesn't mean we're suddenly unconcerned about other stuff

Ah yes, that's it, I must be too stupid to focus on multiple things. Wonderful deduction, Sherlock. I'll go back to my See 'N Say since I'm so clearly inept due to questioning clearly absurd concerns.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
It depends.

I'm white, but I grew up in a hispanic majority neighborhood and would pepper in some Spanish as a kid.

With my boxing coach we'll switch off a bit here and there.

But with people i don't know I wouldn't. I don't really speak Spanish beyond basic stuff and cursewords :lol

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
growing up in a country with multiple languages it's in my blood to switch to the language the other person is more comfortable with.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
whether it's pandering or not, i thought it was pretty embarrassing when beto started speaking spanish in a very blatant attempt to avoid the tax rate question, lol

knightmarre

Oct 27, 2017
I find it hilarious, always reminds me of comedy bits.

"Tengo un gato en los pantalones. Ah kekekeke!"

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
What the hell, AOC sounds like somebody who spoke Spanish at home, if not a first language, it's definitely a mother tongue for her:

Beto is just a mess who looks like he learned one phrase and couldn't even remember it correctly.

And of course I'm very respectful of people who try speaking a foreign language and have trouble, I have been there myself with both English and French, but this looks very dishonest and like pure pandering because you know the dude isn't really going to use it in his daily life.

Huh, I always thought she didn't speak a word. She struggles a bit with the pronunciation but overall you can tell she grew up with it.

JDSN

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

1. Beto
2. Castro
156. Booker
What? Your wife from near the brazilian border or somewhere close? No way AOC's spanish is lower than the Castros's who is are not even native speakers.

Tamanon

Oct 25, 2017
AOC has a very Queens/PR Spanish. If you are not used to it, it can sound very strange. Out of the three of them, she has the best "native" spanish though, like, you can tell she has used it before.

I think that's it. She just thought AOC sounded real plain. Probably the most correct though!

8byte

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
whether it's pandering or not, i thought it was pretty embarrassing when beto started speaking spanish in a very blatant attempt to avoid the tax rate question, lol

This is what I think the real concern is. Inability to simply commit to a progressive tax platform to fund programs, and instead trying to talk about loop holes and other garbage taxes that don't help curb income inequality.

Basically more of the same.

Griselbrand

Oct 26, 2017
I would speak in broken Spanish while I was learning it in college to Spanish-speakers that worked at places I frequented (trying to order a sub in Spanish, etc...). They all seemed to get a kick out of it and were helpful.

I could see how it would be viewed as pandering if a politician did it, though.

I certainly appreciate when non-native speakers approach with a real desire to improve or learn more. It's endearing, and I'm happy to share what I know.

It's far more welcome than the usual 'donde esta la biblioteca' or 'Gato en mis pantalones' comedy gold I usually get. I don't even fake a laugh anymore.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
It is pandering. Pretty much everything every candidate does at a debate is pandering. If you dislike a candidate it doesn't somehow uniquely become pandering.

It is not completely empty. Beto was a congressman of the el Paso area where Hispanics are the largest democratic by far and most of them speak Spanish. If you go to southern Texas cities like el Paso and Brownsville and go shopping, eating, etc, the default is Spanish. If you speak English they'll switch and are fluent.

But beto needs to learn to be more concise at these debates, and shut down people like Castro that kept yapling until he stole the time and over a fucking technicality. Wanting to rewrite immigration law and reinstate asylum solves the core issue.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Yes because it seems opportunistic. The latino vote is important and you have to do better than a sentence here and there. You want my vote then get working on actual policies that actually help people, not display how well or how poorly you can roll your r's

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
If you're a native speaker, you can tell when a public figure is throwing the words for pandering and when they aren't.

hydruxo

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
If he had adequately answered and done the Spanish then it would've looked better. As it stands it made it seem like he had these memorized answers ready to go + throwing in Spanish to try and pander.

Agentnibs

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
If it's not your native language. Then it definitely feels like its done purposefully to target spanish speaking voters. Aka, pandering.

Agreed, it's pandering plain and simple.

That being said, I don't believe that's a bad thing. Pandering has a negative connotation to it, but I have no issue with it all.

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
If you're speaking to an at least partly spanish-speaking crowd or city — like Beto often was when he was campaigning throughout Texas for a senate seat — then its super cool, but if its apropos of nothing in a setting that doesn't really call for it, then yah, seems pretty showboaty.
I think that what made it pandering here is the lack of appropriate context. Yes it's perfectly valid to speak Spanish due to the large population of Spanish speaking individuals in the US, but kicking off with a scripted opener in Spanish without even answering the question suggests that it was for his benefit more than the benefit of his audience.

OP
OP
ElectricBlanketFire

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
We have a President with dozens of assault and harassment accusations being levied against him, and we're concerned about pandering through some bilingual display?

There are more important things to worry about, this is absolutely absurd. Let's maybe just appreciate that he at least knows more than "Taco Salad" and "Wall" when it comes to Latin Americans.

Considering I've made a billion Trump threads on here highlighting his garbage words and actions, no, this is not my primary concern nor is it the most important thing to worry about. This wasn't meant to be a "trash Beto" thread or anything, I was just curious what people thought.

8byte

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
If you're going to evade a question, at least do it with some finesse lol

Exactly. He just sloppily dodged the question, and now we have no idea whether he did it to appease lobbyists to get more campaign money, or if he's going to be Biden 2.0 and cater to wealthy Americans and pretend to give a shit about anyone else.

Sowrong

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

this was horrible. Im sure she can understand it great, but you can tell shes struggling to come up with words.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
this was horrible. Im sure she can understand it great, but you can tell shes struggling to come up with words.
Many people who are native speakers of a language but only use it in private settings and not as frequently end up lacking vocabulary and having trouble when speaking in public, as well as mixing it with the native tongue they were schooled in. Eg. Spanglish.
If you only speak Spanish with your family and you don't use it in a professional setting or in public, it's normal that you feel nervous when suddenly you are in front of the whole world using it for a TV interview.

Besides, I think she was simply nervous, and couldn't come up with words because of that, not because she doesn't speak the language well.

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
Yea context is everything here, I was grossly offended last night because I know how hard it can be to get rid of a "gringo" sounding accent ( I was born here )

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Personally, I don't care if a gringo tries to speak in Spanish.

Donde esta la biblioteca?
Now, this irritates me.

¿Dónde está la biblioteca?

If you are going to write in Spanish, learn how to use the tildes, ¡carajo!

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I think a lot of Latinx Americans are not native english speakers, or may not speak english at all. I'm not sure a lot of those folks post on ERA, especially those who do not speak any english. So you may be getting pretty skewed results. I would imagine a lot of those folks appreciate a candidate who can speak to a huge portion of the electorate that is otherwise not directly addressed. I'm not saying that means they'll agree with his policy or vote for him, but I would find it hard to believe any spanish speaking americans would take issue with a candidate speaking to them.

Oct 29, 2017
If im in Mexico, I try to speak Spanish as much as I dare (i know my accent is shit and my words are very very limited). Seems like the appropriate thing to do when you visit another country is at least make some kind of attempt to speak their language.

Beto was fuckin' eye rolling pandering.

Meauxse

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Even Castro's Spanish was pretty 'pocho' sounding.

"Paradoxically, Julián Castro's appeal to fellow Hispanic voters may be limited by his own assimilation. Although he pronounces his name "HOO-lee-un," he doesn't really speak Spanish — a fact he isn't eager to advertise. La Raza put a high premium on the mother tongue, but Rosie Castro spoke English to her sons, and Julián studied Latin and Japanese in school, while Joaquín studied Latin and German. "

That's why.

Edit: I think Beto's was legit. He knows what he is saying but has a white dude accent just like me. Booker's was cringy af and Julian said like 3 words so I honestly wouldn't count it.

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Everyone that spoke Spanish, even Julian Castro (his was awful too) atleast they try to make sure people notice LatinX people and the language that they speak, better than straight up ignoring them

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But what's with if the idea that you can't or shouldn't speak Spanish, they might not be fluent but who cares, like this is the most support the LatinX community has received since ever

Sai

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago

There are more important things to worry about, this is absolutely absurd. Let's maybe just appreciate that he at least knows more than "Taco Salad" and "Wall" when it comes to Latin Americans.

1) trump wasn't present at the democratic debates

2) why is trump being a fuckup some kind of excuse for other people to be idiots? just because one thing is really bad doesn't mean two things can't be bad at the same time.

beto is not reading your posts, and he will not send you a thank you card for caping for him in this thread lmao

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
and like pure pandering because you know the dude isn't really going to use it in his daily life.

That seems like it's more respectful to me though. Putting the effort in to learn something that may not be useful in one's every day life speaks volumes to me.

why is trump being a fuckup some kind of excuse for other people to be idiots?

How the hell is learning a second language (even if it was quite clear he wasn't fluent) "an excuse to be an idiot"? That's the complete opposite of what an idiot would do.