• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

CGiRanger

Oct 25, 2017
Source: https://www.businessinsider.com/cor...id-tests-sent-from-china-missing-cases-2020-3

So apparently, there's a problem with these too:
Microbiology experts in Spain have said that rapid coronavirus tests that the country bought from China are not consistently detecting positive cases.

The error was discovered as Spain is in the grip of one of the worst coronavirus outbreaks in the world, second only to Italy in the number of reported deaths.

Studies on the tests done in Spain found that they had only 30% sensitivity, meaning they correctly identify people with the virus only 30% of the time, sources told the Spanish newspaper El País.

Those sources told the newspaper that the tests should have a sensitivity of more than 80%. The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says rapid tests for influenza are required to have 80% sensitivity.

The studies prompted the Spanish Society of Infectious Diseases and Clinical Microbiology to formally recommend not using these tests, El País reported. Health workers are now meant to use other tests that take longer to give a result.

Fernando Simón, the director of Spain's health-emergencies coordination center, said on Thursday that Spain checked 9,000 of the tests, found that their results were not consistent enough, and decided to return them.

But China seems to be confused about something:
The tests were made by a Chinese biotechnology company called Bioeasy, El País reported. Other countries, including Georgia, have bought the company's tests.

The Chinese Embassy in Spain said on Twitter on Thursday that the medical supplies China was donating to other countries did not include Bioeasy products.

It said that the Chinese Ministry of Commerce gave Spain a list of manufacturers and that Bioeasy was not among them,
adding that it had not been given a license from China's National Medical Products Administration to sell its products.

Medical professionals in the Czech Republic have also said that rapid tests from China were not working properly, but it was not clear whether these tests were also made by Bioeasy.

So Spain says they got tests from a Chinese company which don't work, that China says was not part of the donation and didn't have a license to sell products. So Spain bought these from a company in China that apparently wasn't supposed to be selling them as they supposedly didn't have a license (according to the Chinese Embassy).

Last edited:

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Seems Spain bought them from another spanish seller but the tests were supposed to be CE certified (which should mean that the tests work).

Still, of all the tests, only 9000 tests were from that company and that should be put on the OT.

OP
OP
CGiRanger

CGiRanger

Oct 25, 2017
Seems Spain bought them from another spanish seller but the tests were supposed to be CE certified (which should mean that the tests work).

Still, of all the tests, only 9000 tests were from that company and that should be put on the OT.
I updated it, but I was confused as to whether the 9000 represented the entire shipment from Bioeasy or not. At the end of the article it states that it wasn't clear how many of the 640,000 tests they got (from both China and S. Korea) were made by Bioeasy. I would imagine if they had more than the 9000, just finding that number of faulty tests would be enough to be suspicious of the entire batch.

Oct 26, 2017
Mushroom Kingdom
I just can't

I was wondering when this sort of story was going to pop-up. Assuming there are definitely companies out there taking shortcuts and not throughly making sure given the pressure of time and meeting the demand

Deleted member 44129

User requested account closure
Banned
May 29, 2018
Maybe the West shouldnt be relying on China so much. They've got a shitty human rights record and are ready to occupy the vaccuum left behind now America is impotent.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Rumor is they bought them from a non chinese certified retailer. Is that correct?

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Rumor is they bought them from a non chinese certified retailer. Is that correct?
Yes, from a Spanish distributor, but the tests were CE certified (European homologation), which should mean they work, so Bioeasy are still on a big mess:

elpais.com

El Gobierno asegura que no compró los test rápidos defectuosos en China sino a través de un distribuidor español

Sanidad reitera que ha devuelto la partida de 9.000 pruebas diagnósticas y que estas contaban con homologación europea

I updated it, but I was confused as to whether the 9000 represented the entire shipment from Bioeasy or not. At the end of the article it states that it wasn't clear how many of the 640,000 tests they got (from both China and S. Korea) were made by Bioeasy. I would imagine if they had more than the 9000, just finding that number of faulty tests would be enough to be suspicious of the entire batch.
The lot that was pushed back was only 9000. The rest of the lots were OK (or they didnt say anything at all about them.

MajesticSoup

Banned
Feb 22, 2019
Its crazy how unprepared countries are. I assumed Spain could rely on other eu countries instead of buying kits from China.

Funky Papa

Oct 28, 2017
The explanations from the Chinese embassy would be riotous if the situation wasn't so dire.

Somebody explain me how the fuck a biosciences company, of which are all supposedly tightly under control of the Chinese government, had no license to sell their products (?) yet they were allowed to export kits in the thousands (???) to a foreign reseller like no thing.

Either the Chinese government has no control whatsoever over its biotech industry or they are just happy to sell the world the kind of junk they don't want and pretend they are being helpful.

All of this regardless of the utter shambles plaguing the Spanish government.

Its crazy how unprepared countries are. I assumed Spain could rely on other eu countries instead of buying kits from China.
That's the thing. Reliable tests can be done in a lab, but it takes days. AFAIK rapid tests are only being mass manufactured in China and South Korea, so countries all over the world are importing them in huge quantities.

Yes, from a Spanish distributor, but the tests were CE certified (European homologation), which should mean they work, so Bioeasy are still on a big mess:
The absolute lack of information about that unknown local distributor is one of those things that makes me go "umm". Even more so when considering how the Ministry wasn't upfront about the purchase from the get go, leaving the public to speculate if it was a national purchase or something from a regional government when the story first came out.

Last edited:

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
The utter lack of information about that local distributor makes you go "umm".
Yeah, this sounds more like "we cannot really mess with China right now" but regardless, having EU homologation with shit test is still a YIKES. But as of now we gotta take what the government says to the face.

Tarkus

Oct 25, 2017
US
User Banned (1 month): xenophobia
"Made in China" usually means cheap shit. So horrible in this situation.

smurfx

Oct 25, 2017
i've read reports of a lot of people testing positive show no symptoms and it leaves me wondering if a lot of those tests were false positives. since so many cities are having problems getting tests in the first place i doubt many are able to use different ones to confirm cases.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
Incorrect reading. 30% of the time it's right 100% of the time and if you restrict your sample to just that group you can actually say that this test has 100% accuracy in detecting coronavirus

Zweizer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What do you mean, Doc? All the best stuff is made in China.
Well that is one way for the CCP to keep their numbers low.

Lots of people not reading the OP here.

I'm more curious as to how it got EU certified.

Belgium also put out a quick test that they said was "promising" then you read the small print and it's correct 2 times out of 10. I facepalmed at the apparent jubilation of the news here.

ItchyTasty

Feb 3, 2019
Disheartening to see the situation rising up in Spain right now, sad that this probably contributed

eonden

Oct 25, 2017

Belgium also put out a quick test that they said was "promising" then you read the small print and it's correct 2 times out of 10. I facepalmed at the apparent jubilation of the news here.
They probably faked the EU certification. Also regarding the Belgium stuff, at least they did like Spain and tested their viability before using them I guess.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
hhhhmmmmMMMMMMMMMMMM
469.gif

ccbfan

Oct 25, 2017
So Spain bought bootleg test kits from a unlicensed chinese company.

you would think a government would be competent enough to check these thing.

Dinda

Oct 27, 2017

A CE Sign doesn't mean shit, and it isn't a official certification that it works or anything. It just says that it fullfilles certain manufacturing and health etc standards that the EU requires.

Deleted member 3812

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The article in OP further reported that other countries purchased coronavirus testing kits from this unlicensed Chinese company:

The tests were made by a Chinese biotechnology company called Bioeasy, El País reported. Other countries, including Georgia, have bought the company's tests.

The Chinese Embassy in Spain said on Twitter on Thursday that the medical supplies China was donating to other countries did not include Bioeasy products.

It said that the Chinese Ministry of Commerce gave Spain a list of manufacturers and that Bioeasy was not among them, adding that it had not been given a license from China's National Medical Products Administration to sell its products.

Medical professionals in the Czech Republic have also said that rapid tests from China were not working properly, but it was not clear whether these tests were also made by Bioeasy.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017

CE is a self-certification, you just declare that you made sure your goods are compliant and get hammered if you lied.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
A CE Sign doesn't mean shit, and it isn't a official certification that it works or anything. It just says that it fullfilles certain manufacturing and health etc standards that the EU requires.
It means they are supposed to be EU compliant (and in the case of bio products, that entails a maximum lvl of error). They will get hammered for faking it.

Funky Papa

Oct 28, 2017
There were not just 9,000 test kits, but 50,000.

Something smells rotten. The Government declined at first to name the purchaser, leading people to believe it could have been something ordered from Madrid or any other region, then it only recognized the manufacturer after the Chinese embassy decided to wash their hands and named it, and now we are learning that it was a significant chunk of the first and most needed rapid tests acquired by the nation itself. And so far neither China nor Spain is naming that mysterious local distributor in charge of the sale.

There needs to be a massive investigation in the way things are being handled once everything is settled. On both the Government and China. This fucking reeks.

Deleted member 10428

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
CE? I think it's far more likely that they were marked with the ripoff "China Export" CE mark that most Chinese exported crap come with to confuse consumers.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Correct '2 out of 10 times' is a meaningless statement. Does it give false positives or false negatives? The one test I have read about gives 30% false negatives, but that means 70% of the positives don't need to be further tested anymore for instance. That is a huge gain already.

Acidote

Oct 26, 2017
CE? I think it's far more likely that they were marked with the ripoff "China Export" CE mark that most Chinese exported crap come with to confuse consumers.
No. Two companies, one from Germany (Dakks) and one from Belgium (Qarad) homologated the tests. Without testing them. Just by reading the documentation because testing is apparently not required for the CE.