• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How do you serve Spaghetti

• Sauce/Noodles all mixed in pot/pan together

• Sauce and noodles separate, sauce put on top of noodles on plate.

• Fuck spaghetti

• Sauce on plate, Noodles in a nest on top

Results are only viewable after voting.

Deleted member 9479

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Y'all are weird. Pasta with sauce just placed on it without actually finishing the pasta in the sauce.... Oof.

pillowtalk

Oct 10, 2018
If the pasta will all be eaten within the next 30 mins, then I mix it all in the pan. If it needs to be preserved, then they have to be separated so the sauce doesn't dry out, and only mix them during reheating.

Atlas_XIX

Oct 29, 2017
I always separated when it was my time to cook because when I was growing up there were people in the family that didn't want any sauce and just wanted noodles. So that's how I always do it now.

8bit

Oct 27, 2017
So, uh, can someone deanonymise this so I can report every single one of you sauce on top oddfellows?

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
I keep them separate because I always make way more sauce than I need on the day of. I know you're supposed to mix them together in a pan, but I'm generally too lazy to dirty up another pan.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I'm not an Italian grandma (unfortunately), but I always got the impression people put the sauce on top of the naked pasta because they saw it on jarred sauce adverts - which of course are designed to show the sauce more than the pasta.

I have always put the pasta in the sauce before serving, why would I want a big congealing blob of naked pasta? I guess we're talking mainly spag-bol here, maybe there are other dishes where you do serve the sauce on top separately but I've never made them and I've eaten a lot of pasta dishes in my time. Pasta, drain, dump in sauce, stir, serve.

Deleted member 2809

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Spaghetti is just spaghetti. Pasta.
Spaghetti bolognese is what you're talking about. You can also make spaghetti carbonara, spaghetti arrabbiata, etc.

Mix in the pan regardless of what sauce you use.

GamePnoy74

Oct 27, 2017
When I was a kid my mom would keep the sauce and pasta separate.

I'm Filipino, and most Filipino families tend to keep it separate, especially with their own recipe using sweet banana sauce and hot dogs along with ground beef.

Filipino-Style-Spaghetti-1.jpg

I've kept it separate for a while too but I nowadays mix them together. I just find it more convenient and easier to serve. I don't make it Filipino style myself, it's too sweet for me.

Most Italian restaurants I've been to usually have it mixed together, except this one place in Santa Monica called Uovo in which their ragu beef Bolognese is amazing.

o.jpg

Darn pandemic...I miss going to these places.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
I haven't seen any restaurant mix it all up. It's always been sauce over noodles.

danmaku

Nov 5, 2017
You cook pasta and sauce separately and then mix them in the pot before serving. You can also do it in your dish, but it'll send sauce everywhere if you're not careful.

Deleted member 24097

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Oh, an Era food thread?

Just give me a second so I can go severe my tongue with a chainsaw until I have literally 2 taste buds left.

SnakeXs

Oct 28, 2017
I have many feelings about this thread and poll, but I'll try and be cordial and just ask this: Those who "prefer" sauce pan top of plain pasta, have you actually done it the other way and prefer it, or do you just do it because that's the way it's been done around you?

HeySeuss

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I'm disappointed in the poll results. Separate is the proper way. Especially if you like meaty sauce because the meat all gets nice and nested

Let's start another poll asking who likes ketchup on hot dogs and I'd guess that those are the same people that mix it all together. Then we can banish those people to a desert island

HeySeuss

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I have many feelings about this thread and poll, but I'll try and be cordial and just ask this: Those who "prefer" sauce pan top of plain pasta, have you actually done it the other way and prefer it, or do you just do it because that's the way it's been done around you?
Mixing it together thins out the sauce and impacts the flavor of the dish. Tried it that way and went back to sauce on top as was intended

Green

Oct 27, 2017
Mixing it together thins out the sauce and impacts the flavor of the dish. Tried it that way and went back to sauce on top as was intended

You're doing it wrong if that's what you end up with. Mixing it together, over heat, reduces the sauce and due to the reduction of the slight bit of remaining pasta water, the starch causes the reduced sauce to stick to the pasta.

If you do it properly, it should be enhancing the flavour. Not the opposite.

OP
OP
Replicant

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
I've done it both ways. Mixing it all together either results in the sauce soakigg bc all up in the noodle or way too much sauce.

sanstesy

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Insane that seperate is winning. Disgusting.

Pasta in a pot is the best comfort food - insanely easy, insanely efficient, insanely cheap and insanely delicious.

Yams

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't seen any restaurant mix it all up. It's always been sauce over noodles.

Honest question where the fuck do y'all eat? Never been to a good Italian place that serves it like that especially when you order Spaghetti pomodoro or bolognese. It's always mixed with an extra bit on top

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Imagine not adding your meatballs to your sauce along with their fond/drippings and adding the al dente noodles to finish cooking in the reduced meatball tomato sauce, creating a unified, glorious, and tasty meal in one pan.

Yams

Oct 25, 2017
You're doing it wrong if that's what you end up with. Mixing it together, over heat, reduces the sauce and due to the reduction of the slight bit of remaining pasta water, the starch causes the reduced sauce to stick to the pasta.

If you do it properly, it should be enhancing the flavour. Not the opposite.

And with red sauces you usually don't have to add pasta water if they've been reduced correctly before melding.

Dec 4, 2017
Italian posters correct me, but isn't it supposed to depend on the type of pasta and sauce?
I wouldn't want to finish capellini (or any type of super thin pasta) in hot sauce, since they risk overcooking.
Also, I thought pesto wasn't supposed to be heated in a pan, since there's the risk of the basil turning bitter.
OTOH something like aglio-olio needs to be mixed in the pan with pasta (and cacio e pepe as well) since they're not so much sauces as seasonings. They require the pasta water in order to reach the proper viscosity.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
It's obviously everything in the same pan, a decent sauce needs some of the water used to cook the pasta so that it can "stick" better to the pasta itself. That wont happen if you only mix them in the plate.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
First you plate the french fries. Then you get the good nacho cheese sauce from Fuddruckers or baseball stadiums and mix that in with the spaghetti. Then you plop the spaghetti on top of the French fries on the plate.

And that is the proper way of eating spaghetti.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
And with red sauces you usually don't have to add pasta water if they've been reduced correctly before melding.

True, but you still want a bit of that salt and starch, it's not much, just a loose strain of the pasta and then back into the pot - add sauce and finish. My red sauces aren't really done until that melding takes place.