• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How do you serve Spaghetti

• Sauce/Noodles all mixed in pot/pan together

• Sauce and noodles separate, sauce put on top of noodles on plate.

• Fuck spaghetti

• Sauce on plate, Noodles in a nest on top

Results are only viewable after voting.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
You cook the noodles most of the way, and then let them finish in the sauce with a splash of the pasta water.

Novoitus

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Regiruler

Oct 28, 2017
United States
Traditionally my family has always served them separately. Any time I'm trying a new white sauce recipe it always requires the pasta to go in though, as its too thin to really spoon on.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
I mix it in, although I leave a little bit of sauce on the side to top it up (or to help with leftovers as the sauce does get a bit absorbed.

Also, spaghettini > spaghetti.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
You know whats fucking magic on spaghetti?

Pork and chicken mince mixed ragu. Not overly saucy, but more thick and binding, throw in some diced olives and sun dried tomatoes as well.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
i eat it like this : 10 strands in the palm of my hand, a spoon full of sauce, the perfect amount of pepper sprinkled and a pinch of parmesan. then i slap it down my gob like some kind of fuckin idiot.

stark naked and in the dark with the curtains open, robe optional.

ok lets be honest, the robe isn't optional, its required. but it has to be open and billowing in the cold winter wind.

I forgot to ask, are there meatballs?

Jan 27, 2020
Washington, DC
I like to eat spaghetti out of a bowl. It makes it easier for me. I still put the noodles in and then the sauce on top. This thread is the first time I think I've ever heard of mixing them together in the pot first.

The key for me is thin noodles. Regular "spaghetti" noodles are way too thick. I prefer vermicelli.

Djalminha

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 22, 2020
If you can measure the water level masterfully, it's amazing to cook them in the sauce while you make it and have both come together, but normally you will over or under cook something, you need a lot more skill for this.

For a lower challenge version, use the water from cooking your pasta to finish your sauce and add the pasta to finish it in the pan with the sauce.

Alcoremortis

Oct 25, 2017
Bachelor style: Pour cold sauce in bowl, spaghetti on top and mix it up to warm up the sauce. If you're only making for one, why dirty another pan?

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
I ask whoever I'm serving how they like it.

Personally I like them mixed, but some people like to have them separated so that they can mix it themselves.

PirateHearts

Oct 27, 2017
North Texas
If there's one thing I've learned from every YouTube chef, it's that you gotta mix the pasta into the sauce with some of the reserved pasta cooking water before plating.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
Depends honestly, but usually I just leave the sauce sitting in the pan I cooked it in and let my family get however much sauce for noodle they want, and we all go sauce on top of noodles.

When you spend three hours cooking a sauce, it deserves to be seen as it's own thing

Yams

Oct 25, 2017
During the last min or two of cooking pasta you get a pan. Throw some of the sauce in it. throw the noodles in it. Mix together.

Learn how to cook serving sizes. If it's just you you don't cook the whole box. There's enough in one of those for a whole family.

Shades

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure what the advantage is to combining the two in the pot other than convenience

Pasta > sauce > parmesan cheese *chef kiss*

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver
Mix in the pasta with the sauce for the last two minutes cooking in the pan. That way the noodles absorb some of the flavor of the sauce.

This is the only way for me. And all the chefs, cooks, videos, etc. that I've watched and respect do it this way. Cook pasta for a couple mins under the cooking time and drain. Heat off on the sauce. Noods into the sauce and mix - cover for a minute. Uncover, add parm / whatever - cover for another. Serve. Or whatever combo, but still. Can go with butter in there, too, or fresh herbs; anything you've got in mind. Don't have to cover either, just seen it done that way a lot.

Also save some of that pasta water in case you need it, depending on what you're doing. Some sauces require that. And salt your pasta water very well; critical step that I didn't learn about until I got older.

The naked noods with sauce on top is the way I grew up but then I grew up. Even my parents do it the "proper" way now.

Yes, it sounds pretentious but not doing it this way is kinda silly to me unless you just like it that way. I mean, whatever makes you happy. I don't get bothered by it because personal taste is personal taste and I wouldn't demean someone for cooking or preparing food to their preference. But if someone asked me, I would recommend they try the mixing method.

Last edited:

Sully

Oct 25, 2017
Sauce and noodles mixed together is the correct answer, the way it soaks in and makes the leftovers taste even more amazing is god tier. Same principle as leftover lasagna

grang

Nov 13, 2017
I guess more of you never eat leftover spaghetti, because having it all mixed up is awful after it's been chilled and reheated.
Not it's not. Learn how to reheat your "mixed" pasta properly. Reheat it in a pot with a bit of broth or water added, or use your microwave power levels. A tsp of water and heat 2 minutes at *60% and you're golden

*(of course your microwave mileage will vary but please start using power levels)

CaptainK

Oct 29, 2017
Canada

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
i eat it like this : 10 strands in the palm of my hand, a spoon full of sauce, the perfect amount of pepper sprinkled and a pinch of parmesan. then i slap it down my gob like some kind of fuckin idiot.

stark naked and in the dark with the curtains open, robe optional.

ok lets be honest, the robe isn't optional, its required. but it has to be open and billowing in the cold winter wind.

I forgot to ask, are there meatballs?

I mean, you tell me, I don't want to make assumptions about what you're working with down there.

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017
I am disgusted by how many people plate it separately lol. Any decent Italian cook, or restaurant, cooks their pasta in the sauce (usually with a dash of the starchy pasta water as well). It's the only way to get the sauce to stick appropriately. It's a pretty amazing difference if you've never tried it. Slightly undercook the pasta then fry it over high heat with the sauce and let it cook for another couple of minutes. Bam! Instant refined pasta chef.

As an aside, I'm lucky enough to be able to get fresh pasta in my city at the grocery store (sourced from a local high end Italian restaurant). There's really no comparing even the finest premade pastas to a freshly made batch

Edit: I missed that a ton of great posters have already stressed this lol. There's no excuse now for people to not do it the way all the smart people tell you to

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
If the sauce is from a jar, I mix it in the pot.

If I'm making the sauce myself, I keep it separate. My sauce recipe makes enough for like 4 people with extra for leftovers, plus it's easier to let people put the amount of sauce they want on themselves.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
Salted water to boil the pasta, leave some in at the end, toss in the sauce, raise the heat, add some butter/olive oil, toss until well coated. Plate. Grated cheese on top.

Chakoo

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Depends on serving size.

Just for yourself? Finish off (not cook) the pasta in a pan with some sauce.

For family? Separate and combine on plate because nobody is ever happy with the amount of sauce given if you don't (some will complain too much and others too little). :|

Sirhc

Hasn't made a thread yet. Shame me.
Oct 27, 2017
Exactly, the noodles absorb all the sauce. Makes leftover awful

OH WHAT THE SHIT YOU ARE RIGHT. FUUUUUUUUUUCK.

Man all my life I've been having great spaghetti on the night I make it, then I mix it with the sauce to store and it's always dry as hell....

Fuck I gotta make spaghetti to test this now.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I finish the pasta in the sauce in a separate pan. I actually have an entire set of recipes for my red sauce.

613FEBF4-4DEF-4A87-AD78-DBD57A56F1DC_1_105_c.jpeg

Ashdroid

Oct 27, 2017
Sauce and noodles mixed together is the correct answer, the way it soaks in and makes the leftovers taste even more amazing is god tier. Same principle as leftover lasagna
Yeeeeeees. Leftover spaghetti is one of my favorites.

... sometimes I even make spaghetti just to have it the next day when all the flavor gets concentrated in the noodles.

zMiiChy-

Dec 12, 2017
Does anyone else like Cold spaghetti?
I usually always prefer warm/ hot foods but cold Pizza or Spaghetti are oddly satisfying

shenden

Oct 27, 2017
I don't include noodle as a part of the spaghetti family though.

And depending on the dish, I always mix it in the pan with the sauce. Especially so when I'm using Bucatini, a thicker spaghetti with bigger holes, so they get filled with sauce during mixing. Pasta for life.

SephiZack

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I was born in Italy and I mix sauce with spaghetti in the pot before serving.

I had no idea there were people who kept them separate until I opened this thread.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
I have added a poll option, because it was missing.
Hum maybe he didn't want a poll?

Anyway it depends on the sauce, if it's carbonara it's got to be added in the pan, if it's bolognese i will probably put them separately on the table. Because different people might want more or less of it.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
Hum maybe he didn't want a poll?

Anyway it depends on the sauce, if it's carbonara it's got to be added in the pan, if it's bolognese i will probably put them separately on the table. Because different people might want more or less of it.
There was already a poll. I just added a single option.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Water on drained pasta dries off in a couple of minutes at the absolute most. Not mixing it with your sauce beforehand just leaves you with a pile of plain carbs stuck together with some sauce dolloped on top.

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
sauce poured. that way you can use another pasta if you aint into spaghetti. and probably help with longetitivity and you can use the sauce for something else.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
OH WHAT THE SHIT YOU ARE RIGHT. FUUUUUUUUUUCK.

Man all my life I've been having great spaghetti on the night I make it, then I mix it with the sauce to store and it's always dry as hell....

Fuck I gotta make spaghetti to test this now.
What I do is a microwave the pasta (mixed with the sauce) in a bowl until it's hot and add hot water gradually until it's at the consistency I'm after. I then throw in a good pinch of salt to compensate for the extra liquid. For leftovers it works a treat.