• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Robochimp

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
When I read 'blows up' I certainly expected something much more dramatic and destructive lol. It's an impressive thing to see the rocket right itself and land regardless of the extracurricular pyro at the end.

Did you watch the clip in the tweet? The explosion was pretty spectacular.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
This looks like a badly animated movie. Holy shit it's unbelievable.

Bummer on the blow up. But this is just absolute incredible stuff. Shot a fucking tower into space and landed it back. Imagine showing this to people 100 years ago.

Sax

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That camera angle for the flip just before the landing burn flashed me back to this
31F6BE8243B50AEB6F3C12EA3CBF2A5D4DC0E9D3

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Watching the SN tests with my scientist/engineer father has been a treat. He's already deduced that the fire was started during the shutdown of the second engine, a valve didn't close so methane continued pumping into the engine shaft and onto the lit engine. The craft landed hard, smashing the landing gears, making it impossible to get water to the engine compartment. The little flame we saw on the outside, was actually a raging inferno inside the engine compartment at some ungodly temperature. The massive force of the explosion was likely caused by a seal losing integrity, and a supply oxygen rushing into contact with the burning methane. Boom.

That's what he thinks, at least. He rewound the video enough times to show me stuff in slow mo while he excitedly pointed like a professor that I buy it.

Did you watch the clip in the tweet? The explosion was pretty spectacular.
The force necessary to suddenly throw an object of that size hundreds of feet in the air like a kid's toy is unimaginable.

16bitnova

Oct 28, 2017
The landing flip maneuver looked like something out of a movie! That was awesome. Excited to see what the future holds.

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The tank itself would have been mostly depleted. I suspect K.Jacks dad is onto something. A Valve or something did not shut properly and the fire we saw on the side as it landed was an indicator of something potentially worse. Enough time passed integrity failed and boom. Slowmo shows very clear where it starts to blow out from the internal tank and launches

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
I hope they got all the data they needed before it blew up.

Also kinda terrifying to be the crew that gets to go back to get the rocket knowing that it explode at any moment just sitting there.

Well it didn't exactly land properly, I doubt they would have recovered this one at all. Probably would've detonated remotely given the fire and methane leak.

SealedSeven

Prophet of Regret
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Reminder that these things may become the new fast travel over airplanes in the future.

jotun?

Oct 28, 2017
Shot a fucking tower into space and landed it back.
This one didn't go to space, it "only" went up to around 10km (airline altitude)

Falcon 9 first stages though regularly do go into space then come back to land (sometimes on land, sometimes on boats out in the ocean). It's about the same height as Starship, though skinnier

Here's streetview of a real one outside their HQ if you want a nice sense of scale
www.google.com

Google Maps

Find local businesses, view maps and get driving directions in Google Maps.

The eventual plan for Starship is even more impressive though. It's a second stage, which means it will be coming back to earth from orbit or farther, which means going extremely fast. It will reenter the atmosphere as a belly-flopping fireball before doing the landing maneuver we saw today

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
It's part of the Adama maneuver.

Next step: FTL jump-engines.

DeadlyVenom

Apr 3, 2018
I always thought it was silly seeing rocket ships land like this in science fiction, mostly cartoons. I guess, double dumbass to me.

NunezL

Jun 17, 2020
I always thought it was silly seeing rocket ships land like this in science fiction, mostly cartoons. I guess, double dumbass to me.
The idea is to shed most of the velocity of reentry with air friction, like a skydiver. Saves fuel but it means there's a scary engine relight and flip maneuver at the end.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ignoring the landing for a moment, the final rotation looked a lot more palatable from a passenger's perspective than the previous two. A lot smoother, from my untrained eye.

Engell

Oct 28, 2017
People focus on them legs.. but i don't see them as the issue, something else is wrong and that is why they are not working as they should.
The real problem is that yellow flame coming out, something broke and is leaking fuel badly even before landing.. this is what triggers the explosion in the end as they are not able to turn it off and it just keeps burning after landing, until stuff gets hot enough to explode.

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
^^^ lol I guess I'm not alone.

Goddamn, 11:44 when it engages thrusters again before touching down looks like some bad CGI in a Star Trek episode. My brain cannot comprehend that crazy shit is real and that enormous rocket is just spinning around into a perfect landing position.

Also I think it's the lighting and the fucking lens flare in that one shot haha, looks straight out of a JJ Abrams movie.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
This one didn't go to space, it "only" went up to around 10km (airline altitude)

Falcon 9 first stages though regularly do go into space then come back to land (sometimes on land, sometimes on boats out in the ocean). It's about the same height as Starship, though skinnier

Here's streetview of a real one outside their HQ if you want a nice sense of scale
www.google.com

Google Maps

Find local businesses, view maps and get driving directions in Google Maps.

The eventual plan for Starship is even more impressive though. It's a second stage, which means it will be coming back to earth from orbit or farther, which means going extremely fast. It will reenter the atmosphere as a belly-flopping fireball before doing the landing maneuver we saw today

That's nuts. When can we expect Starship to go orbital and come back?

SteveMeister

Oct 31, 2017
That's nuts. When can we expect Starship to go orbital and come back?

They're hoping to do an orbital test flight before the end of the year, but Starship isn't capable of reaching orbit from Earth by itself, so they'll need to verify the Super Heavy booster first. Prototype BN1 is about halfway built. It'll be sort of like the Falcon 9 booster, but much larger and same diameter as Starship. They'll probably do hop tests with those prototypes several times before stacking a Starship on it, though.

Dralos

Oct 26, 2017
how are astronauts supposed to get out of it if it lands on the moon or mars like that?

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
^^^ lol I guess I'm not alone.

Goddamn, 11:44 when it engages thrusters again before touching down looks like some bad CGI in a Star Trek episode. My brain cannot comprehend that crazy shit is real and that enormous rocket is just spinning around into a perfect landing position.

Also I think it's the lighting and the fucking lens flare in that one shot haha, looks straight out of a JJ Abrams movie.

My wife and I had the same reaction.

I think part of it is seeing something that large moving like it did is so unnatural to the human eye.

how are astronauts supposed to get out of it if it lands on the moon or mars like that?

*arrives to Mars*

Oh shit!