• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
starship-sn4-explodes.gif

www.youtube.com

Full Replay: Starship SN4 suffers major anomaly after static fire in Boca Chica

SpaceX suffered a major anomaly with the Starship SN4 prototype at their Boca Chica, Texas launch site. Prior to the anomaly, they were hoping to hop the veh...

During a static-fire engine test a prototype model exploded. Too early to say what went wrong. Livestream still going. Scroll back 2:33.33 from time of post to see the incident.

SpaceX's latest Starship prototype exploded just after an engine test Friday (May 30), erupting in a dramatic fireball at the spaceflight company's South Texas proving grounds.

The Starship SN4 prototype exploded at about 1:49 p.m. CDT (2:49 p.m. EDT/1849 GMT) at SpaceX's test facility near Boca Chica, Texas according to a video provided by the South Padre Island tourism site SPadre.com. The explosion occurred about a minute after a short test of its Raptor rocket engine, but it was unclear what caused the conflagration.

www.space.com

SpaceX's Starship SN4 prototype explodes after rocket engine test

SpaceX's latest Starship prototype exploded just after a rocket engine test Friday (May 30), erupting in a dramatic fireball at the spaceflight company's Texas proving grounds.

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
It's worth pointing out this rocket is completely unrelated to the one astronauts are supposed to be launching on tomorrow. Different materials, construction, engines, everything is new and being tested hard.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
I wish that gif started like 3 seconds earlier because you can see the explosion start from the right near the burn off flare.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Nov 5, 2017
It's a prototype, so you are expecting things to explode as they are trying things that have never been done before. It's depressing to see it blow up, but I am sure SpaceX is going to learn a lot about Raptor engines from this catastrophic incident.

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
Prototypes fail. This isn't new, surprising, or damning of anyone.

Anybody who's an engineer knows this first-hand.

Deleted member 3038

Oct 25, 2017
Prototypes are made to be pushed to extremes and to discover faults.
Yeah between some of the replies I saw on Twitter and some I see on ERA people really don't know how Prototypes work.

All of the SN prototypes are iteratively designed, with multiple being constructed at the same time with minor differences (SN4&5 is back to back, SN5 almost being done). For reference SN2&3 were both destroyed due to Pressure explosions (with SN3 passing it's pressure test, but being pushed to test the limit this exploding). SN4 & 5 are all for seeing if the welding Techniques they've been improving on have reached the point where they can run a full static fire test, and obviously as we can tell there's still work to be done.

Regarding the explosion, it looks like a pipe rupture that resulted in the gas flowing over to the open flame causing an explosion, hopefully SpaceX gets some decent data out of this.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017

Just wonder if there's going to be enough data from this exploded rocket to understand what actually went wrong. But since this isn't actually SpaceX's first rodeo with rocket prototypes, I'm assuming they had enough sensors attached to this thing, sending their data every fraction of a millisecond, to be able to perfectly reconstruct everything that happened.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017

The commentary at the time basically jinxed it

"I mean, if it was methane, it would be igniting in the flare, correct?"
>ONE SECOND LATER

hitme

Oct 26, 2017
I work with a bunch Ex-Telsa folks and they tell me their Telsa horror stories everyday.

Elon is known to take a bunch of shortcuts. Not surprised this blew up.

Tagg

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Space Force viral marketing.

Oct 27, 2017
Really fucking lame that all space stuff is gonna be marred by this fucking dipshit.

Rockets explode and are dangerous. Lots of very smart people work very hard and this stuff can just happen.

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
I'm not a fan of Elon as much as the next guy but the hot takes here are pretty transparent. Prototypes have catastrophic failures. Thats the point of tests.

Tempy

Oct 25, 2017
Tuned in to watch a Static Fire test. Got more than I bargained for.

At least the Static Fire Test worked I guess. The explosion took place a few minutes after.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017

This. Everything is theoretical till tested in the field. Then it's a matter of whether its maintenance at fault, material handling, operation error or engineering issues .

Not every kaboom means total dunderheaded incompetent design.
It's a prototype. This is why it's called a prototype.

Huggie

Oct 22, 2018
Kinda makes the launch a little nerve-racking.

Falcon 9 is one the most tested and reliable rockets atm. This is a prototype with a whole new structure design and brand new designed engine, They have been pushing this thing to the limits for weeks now to gather data and stress everything. This was SN4, SN5 is basically finished and ready to get tested once they clear everything up. SN6 is half ready as well!

Tempy

Oct 25, 2017
Previous "anomalies":

www.youtube.com

Unbelievable!!! SpaceX Starship MK1 Explodes! At Boca Chica, Texas

11.20.2019: At 3:27 local time The only up close public video on the planet of the full explosion of MK1 Starship's top popping off during a pressure test. ...

www.youtube.com

SpaceX Boca Chica - Starship SN1 cryo proof test failure - Feb 28, 2020

Starship SN1 was filled with LN2 for a cryo proof test on Friday evening at Boca Chica, before failing. Videos and Photos from Mary (@bocachicagal) for NSF. ...

www.youtube.com

SpaceX's Starship SN3 prototype fails cryogenic proof test

Starship SN3 collapsed during a cryogenic proof test designed to validate the vehicle ahead of a planned static fire and 150-meter hop. SpaceX will now have ...

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017
I work with a bunch Ex-Telsa folks and they tell me their Telsa horror stories everyday.

You know Tesla doesn't make rockets right? Falcon has a 97 percent success rate so I think SpaceX probably knows what it's doing

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017

Elon doesn't really do much at Space X, it's almost all handled entirely by Gwynne Shotwell. Honestly, Tesla needs a Gwynne Shotwell equivalent to be honest, someone who understands what they're trying to achieve and can successfully lead the business while Elon is off being Elon.

Oct 27, 2017
Elon doesn't really do much say at Space X, it's almost all handled entirely by Gwynne Shotwell. Honestly, Tesla needs a Gwynne Shotwell equivalent to be honest, someone who understands what they're trying to achieve and can successfully lead the business while Elon is off being Elon.
Seems like he's leading it just fine, even accounting for his twitter gaffes