• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
It's crazy how routine the landings have become.

A reminder that we went from NEVER BEEN DONE in 2014, to 1/3 success rate in 2015, to 50/50 in 2016 to 100% success rate and total routine in 2017.

Now it's 2018 and the real surprise is when they don't attempt or suffer a failure on landing.

4 years. 4 years from "Impossible, that'll never work!" to "Oh, another landing, ho hum."

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
Bangabandhu-1 has gone NET May 7th due to unfavourable weather forecasts.

OP
OP
Crispy75

Crispy75

Oct 25, 2017
Critically, unfavorable weather forecasts at sea
They really want to get this one recovered!

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
Space X .Jr is having a launch today!

It's just like a real SpaceX launch, except it doesn't worry about any of that silly "orbit" nonsense.

Straight up to space and straight back down. Maximum efficiency.

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
Competition is good!

The New Shepard is just silly stuff in reality, New Glenn is where it's at. Should be fun though.

FuocoVivo

Oct 30, 2017
Italy
They are testing the system to get ready for crewed flights, which should begin by the end of this year. It's a system primarily designed to fly 6 tourists on a short, 10-15 minutes trip, which brings them 100 km up, let them enjoy the views in weightlessness for a few minutes and then falls back to Earth.
This flight also carries some payloads, mainly research payloads that conduct experiments in weightlessness.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
What was the objective of this launch?

It's intended to be a final uncrewed test of the suborbital launch and recovery system before they start taking humans up and down in a test flight. The final objective is to take fee-paying passengers to the Kármán line.

It's a suborbital space tourism venture, hence the reference to the first United States suborbital space flight by Alan Shepard aboard Freedom 7.

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, no. Sorry about the confusion. It was aimed at Tygre. I just don't understand the smug attitude towards companies that aren't SpaceX.

lol sorry. I'm actually in a bit of a cranky mood today :( - shouldn't have responded as such. Apologies.

To be honest I'm not all for space tourism - so I do think the New Shepard thing (and Virgin Galactic) while interesting is a bit of a side show - but I do think Blue Origin has a massive role to play in the future, both in terms of New Glenn and with them supplying BE4 engines for ULA for Vulcan.

I was more interested in seeing their engine tests for BE4 than I was the launch today :D

FuocoVivo

Oct 30, 2017
Italy
Oh, no. Sorry about the confusion. It was aimed at Tygre. I just don't understand the smug attitude towards companies that aren't SpaceX.
Eh jeff bezos / BO has an history of smugness towards SpaceX. From unprofessional digs at SX from exponents of the company, to bullish attempts to patent technology that SpaceX is already using.

Also calling out members like Tygre for innocent jokes comes off as a bit defensive to me.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Eh jeff bezos / BO has an history of smugness towards SpaceX. From unprofessional digs at SX from exponents of the company, to bullish attempts to patent technology that SpaceX is already using.

Also calling out members like Tygre for innocent jokes is bit defensive to me.

His tweets around the time they were both trying landings were embarrassing, so I'm also happy to give Bezos grief.

He went pretty quiet after SpaceX achieved orbit AND landed the first stage.

FuocoVivo

Oct 30, 2017
Italy
Yeah there's been some ugliness and frankly if random fans on the internet have a smug attitude I don't care that much, but when ugly words/actions come from company officials that's another story.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
I think it was just to achieve a higher launch profile for the capsule (350,000ft).

It's intended to be a final uncrewed test of the suborbital launch and recovery system before they start taking humans up and down in a test flight. The final objective is to take fee-paying passengers to the Kármán line.

It's a suborbital space tourism venture, hence the reference to the first United States suborbital space flight by Alan Shepard aboard Freedom 7.

I see, gratitude.

fallout

Oct 27, 2017
I honestly haven't followed Blue Origin that closely, but that doesn't really surprise me. Regardless, I can't go talk to Bezos about his attitude, so I'm here talking to fans about their attitudes.

Also calling out members like Tygre for innocent jokes comes off as a bit defensive to me.
I mean, I'm certainly not defending Blue Origin here or anything. Go ahead and call out their mistakes, their faults, their limitations, etc. I'm just more bothered by how weirdly antagonistic it's gotten. That said, I'm probably not helping out much with posts like that, so I do apologize for that.

And like Dan said, competition is good! The more successes all companies have, the better off we'll be in terms of spaceflight.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
It really boggles my mind that we now have space launch company fanboys.
Oh, lighten up~

I wouldn't have posted that if I didn't want BO getting more exposure and didn't support every billionaire on the planet literally setting their money on fire to get us into space. I just also like to poke fun at how rinky-dink Bezos' outfit currently is.

Rockets launching is cool, rockets landing is cooler, rockets putting things into orbit in-between those two things is actually useful.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Slightly off topic, but has anyone gone to Vendenberg CA to watch a rocket launch before?
There's an Atlas V launch scheduled for Saturday morning which is tempting me.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

31070327_164427757566ytoo6.jpg

https://www.instagram.com/p/BiQ5qXnA_OM/

FuocoVivo

Oct 30, 2017
Italy
So the meterologists predict Launch Weather 20 Percent 'Go' For Saturday for the Atlas V launch in Vandenberg.
Is that sort of normal or low?
Still not sure if the drive up is worth it if the chances are slim.
Things can still change a lot, predictions at L-48h and L-24h are more accurate and can still improve.

Edit: and, given how large the error margin are for forecasts even a few days in the future, the news previously reported on this thread that SpaceX's Bangabandhu launch was delayed for the weather is most likely false.

OP
OP
Crispy75

Crispy75

Oct 25, 2017
I like the new colours :)

This model should fly so many times, this is what a F9 will look like to history.

OP
OP
Crispy75

Crispy75

Oct 25, 2017
F9 Block 5 is all mated with the payload, stood up on the pad and weather's looking good. Launch window opens today 16:12 EDT (20:12 UTC 21:12 BST)

9c9fBTj.jpg

Hot fire test went well a few days ago.

Who's taking bets? I reckon they'll launch bang on time. No holds or scrubs :)

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
I love that the new black coating allows a distinct view of the end of the first stage/start of the second stage in the stack view :)