• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

bobnowhere

Oct 26, 2017
Elsewhere for 8 minutes
I hope they include some sort of plaque to explain just how it got where it's going. You'd hate someone 10,000 years from now spending time on a PHD or something trying to solve the mystery.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
so the fairings will separate - does that mean the car will be directly in space?

FuocoVivo

Oct 30, 2017
Italy
Pretty sure the plan is to show footage of the Earth getting smaller behind the Starman driving nonchalantly his Space Roadster. Hard to top that.
On another note: does anyone who can plan on doing a dedicated thread for this launch? I think this maiden flight really deserves it!

subrock

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
Looks like the roadster will have a driver pilot :D

ed0O316.jpg

that's going to be so weird to find in orbit when humans are long dead and gone

Oct 25, 2017
that's going to be so weird to find in orbit when humans are long dead and gone
I doubt it will ever be found, but I'm reminded of something like an alien in a little spacecraft in a pod from Alien.

"The pilot of this red spacecraft appears to have died and decomposed, leaving only a strange monochromatic exoskeleton. Fascinating!"

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
I think that it'll be in orbit for a billion years it'll be found :)

Chittagong

Oct 26, 2017
London, UK
Wait, that Tesla is going to float in empty space by itself, not inside some rocket? If so, that is fucking amazing. Hope they get good photos. Where will that be?

Ninge

ID@Xbox Developer Partner Manager
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I need to make sure I'm home from work in time for this :)

KillerAJD

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, that Tesla is going to float in empty space by itself, not inside some rocket? If so, that is fucking amazing. Hope they get good photos. Where will that be?
From most speculation, it'll still be connected to the second stage (further strengthened by the fact that the camera mounts in the photos Elon posted are mounted to the second stage). It being separated is possibly just artistic license.

Pickman

Nov 20, 2017
Huntington, WV
I got the Closer package at Kennedy for Tuesday for my girlfriend and I. Hoping it's a go for launch or it gets pushed back to the weekend if it's scrubbed, cause I don't have any other days off this week.

Oct 25, 2017
If this works AND they can rig up a camera and radio on the car, it would be so amazing. It's just hard for me to imagine it all working and the camera actually pointing back towards the earth, instead of the car randomly spinning or something.

It would make more sense if the car is still attached like the above poster suggested.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
Any idea of the trajectory this will take. Like, can I maybe see it from my house in the UK if its clear?

Atrophis

Oct 25, 2017
This has to work. Has too! I have to see a car floating through space or my life isn't complete.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
launch window is quite wide - is there a target launch time yet, or will SpaceX announce it closer to the time?

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
launch window is quite wide - is there a target launch time yet, or will SpaceX announce it closer to the time?

Normally in a window they will target the second the window opens. If there's any issues on countdown they can recycle it - but they're limited to the supercooled fuel that they load.

There's a large possibility that once they start fuelling it, it'll be the first second or a 24hr scrub. Their priority in this launch is not destroying LC39A - so they'll want to be very conservative.

Crocks

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
From most speculation, it'll still be connected to the second stage (further strengthened by the fact that the camera mounts in the photos Elon posted are mounted to the second stage). It being separated is possibly just artistic license.
The second stage should have the telemetry to send the photos back, which the car alone won't. So it's possible that it'll remain attached to the 2nd stage as long as the 2nd stage has the batteries and antenna to send photos back to earth (which isn't that long :( ) and then once it can no longer send data back, they separate them. Of course, at that point it's basically irrelevant - no one would ever know if they'd done it or not.

gutterboy44

Oct 27, 2017
NY
So hyped for this today. Another massive leap forward in our space exploration (a big leap after decades of steps back, but I'll take it). If this goes according to plan there should
be some amazing footage from every phase of the launch. There is something that resonates so deeply with me about the symbolic absurdity of a car drifting off into space with Earth in its rear view mirror.

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
Just remember, the primary mission success in this case will be not to blow up the launch pad.

Krakatoa

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
This is going to be awesome!! Fingers crossed its still a go for today.

OP
OP
Crispy75

Crispy75

Oct 25, 2017
Oct 25, 2017
It was delayed again to 2:20pm EST. From how previous launches of various rockets have gone, I'm personally guessing it will end up scrubbed today, and they're doing repeated delays just to see if they can figure out some last-minute issue.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Please don't scrub. I have so much free time at work today that it makes watching this live really easy today but tomorrow I won't be able to.

Hopefully the weather cooperates.