• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like Falcon Heavy SF got pushed right again to Monday :/

Dragon returns today, though.

cebri

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not much. It's just another bubble like in the 90s. Everybody back then thought LEO sat constellations would be the next big thing.
Only nowadays it's combined with even more ridiculous dreams about Mars colonization. It's all kind of surreal.

Care to elaborate?

Right now launch providers are servicing well stablished markets. The launch rate has been steadly climbing for the last fear years but not more than 3 o 4 flights a year. I hardly see any bubble in this sector.

OP
OP
Crispy75

Crispy75

Oct 25, 2017
Not much. It's just another bubble like in the 90s. Everybody back then thought LEO sat constellations would be the next big thing.
Only nowadays it's combined with even more ridiculous dreams about Mars colonization. It's all kind of surreal.
The LEO constellation thing is back on the agenda, cos the market for "data anywhere" is orders of magnitude larger than it was in the 90s. If SpaceX manage to capture just a fraction of the world market for internet provision, they'll be able to fund their Mars programme no bother.

Smiles

Oct 27, 2017
been trying to find good video news for Falcon Heavy and every youtuber has turned into some Zuma failed conspiracy nut in the past few days weird

Dan

Oct 25, 2017

LEO sat constellations are a thing. I would have thought that was evident with the missions like Iridium that SpaceX are delivering.

The mini documentaries in the webcasts goes to great length to show the amazing practicality of these systems. It's no pipe dream.

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
Care to elaborate?

Right now launch providers are servicing well stablished markets. The launch rate has been steadly climbing for the last fear years but not more than 3 o 4 flights a year. I hardly see any bubble in this sector.

lol. you might want to revise up yo knowledge :)

OP
OP
Crispy75

Crispy75

Oct 25, 2017
3 - 4 a year? Space X managed 17 successful launches alonelast year!
They mean LEO comms constellations like Iridium and Orbcomm, both of which were born in the 90s and are currently upgrading their fleets. In 2017, SpaceX launched 4 batches of Iridum NEXT satellites and they've previously launched satellites for Orbcomm as well.

Those networks are low bandwidth systems for things like satellite phones, maritime communications, remote data collection etc.

The real step change will come with the general-purpose constellations planned by SpaceX (under the Starlink name) and Oneweb

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SpaceX_satellite_constellation
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OneWeb_satellite_constellation

These will consist of hundreds or *thousands* of individual satellites, networked together with line-of-sight laser links. The idea is that you can set up a pizza-box-sized antenna anywhere in the world and get true broadband bandwidth and latency, cheaper than a cable connection. The potential market is gigantic.

Last edited:

cebri

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
lol. you might want to revise up yo knowledge :)

why?

In the mid 2000s we had around 50-60 launches a year.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004_in_spaceflight
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005_in_spaceflight

In the last few years around 90.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_in_spaceflight
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_in_spaceflight

90-55 = 35/10 years = 3.5~ per year.

3 - 4 a year? Space X managed 17 successful launches alonelast year!

I'm talking about the whole industry. You can't say there is a bubble because of the performance of one company Y/Y, but of the evolution of the whole industry during the last decade. You need to study long term trends.

Edit: I was trying to explain him why i don't see a bubble in this sector, that's why i was talking about the trend in the industry, not about a specific year or company. Surely you can pick Y/Y differences and see a spike of 20 more launches.

English is not my first language, i apologize for any misunderstanding.

Last edited:

Ninge

ID@Xbox Developer Partner Manager
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Falcon heavy test fire should be happening today right? Any chance there will be a livestream?

OP
OP
Crispy75

Crispy75

Oct 25, 2017
What's their window for launching roadster towards Mars?
It's not going towards Mars. It's going to a sun-centric orbit that gets out as far as Mars' orbit, but doesn't intersect with it. More of a "see, we can get it this far" rather than actually getting it to a specific place. Which is sensible, because a)Anything that might land/crash on Mars has to be rigorously disinfected before flight to avoid contamination of Mars with Earthly microbes* and b)If it's in a stable, non-crashing orbit, someone can go and collect it again, some far day in the future :)

All of which is to say that it doesn't matter when they launch.

*This issue is going to have to be dealt with before any serious Mars exploration.colonisation plans are put into effect

Deleted member 3345

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not going towards Mars. It's going to a sun-centric orbit that gets out as far as Mars' orbit, but doesn't intersect with it. More of a "see, we can get it this far" rather than actually getting it to a specific place. Which is sensible, because a)Anything that might land/crash on Mars has to be rigorously disinfected before flight to avoid contamination of Mars with Earthly microbes* and b)If it's in a stable, non-crashing orbit, someone can go and collect it again, some far day in the future :)

All of which is to say that it doesn't matter when they launch.

*This issue is going to have to be dealt with before any serious Mars exploration.colonisation plans are put into effect

That's a bummer.

Although I'm not surprised to see musk misleading me again. That's it final straw I'm through with musk!

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
They have a relatively long launch window and can recycle the countdown at any time. They'll be good.

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
OT: Atlas 5 (411 configuration - 4m diameter fairing, 1 solid rocket motor, 1 engine Centaur) will launch SBIRS in around 90 minutes..

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
OT, but important for Commercial Space. Rocket Lab successfully launched their Electron 1 vehicle. Opens up another cheap option in the market.

OP
OP
Crispy75

Crispy75

Oct 25, 2017
Now that mess is (temporarily) over, the new No Earlier Than for the test fire is Wednesday, 3pm local time (8pm gmt)

FuocoVivo

Oct 30, 2017
Italy
AND IT HAPPENED!!! The 27 engines of the Falcon Heavy have been fired together for the first time, in a (supposedly) 12s burn. Pad 39A, the Apollo pad, has received the most fire since the Saturn V!