• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK

*bing bong*

The 8:30 flight to Space will be departing in 30 minutes from Launch Complex 4-E, please proceed to boarding gate 7

Hrothgar

Nov 6, 2017
They are undercutting Electron (Rocket Labs) by half. The only question is lauch frequency of these flights.

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
And no choice of orbit...
Sun synchronous is popular for small satellites, but it's not everything

I'm guessing they'll do different orbits for different requirements.

If I have a small sat, I can either be cheap and wait for a SpaceX launch, or if I want it up earlier, pay more for a Rocketlab launch.

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
Double bubble tonight (weather permitting).

Ariane 5 (IntelSat 39 & EDRS-C/HYLAS 3) going up at 8:30pm
Falcon 9 (AMOS-17) going up at 11:53pm

Lush.

Bregor

Oct 27, 2017
Space X has made reusable rockets VERY fashionable...

But that is not the only factor in their low prices, they have focused very heavily on cost reductions for their rocket components. I wonder if re-usability will be a panacea for the other companies / agencies trying to copy it now?

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
Space X has made reusable rockets VERY fashionable...

But that is not the only factor in their low prices, they have focused very heavily on cost reductions for their rocket components. I wonder if re-usability will be a panacea for the other companies / agencies trying to copy it now?

It's funny you say that - Rocketlabs announced they were going reusable for Electron in between last night's launches..

Bregor

Oct 27, 2017
That announcement is exactly why I brought it up. Suddenly everyone is expressing interest in re-usability. That is probably smart. But I doubt re-usability alone will bring their prices down to Space X levels.

fallout

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, reusability isn't some new idea. Remember that it was one of the touted benefits of the Shuttle. It's how SpaceX has shown how reusability can be done effectively that's novel.

jotun?

Oct 28, 2017
Q&A with Rocket Lab CEO about their reusability plans for Electron and thoughts on SpaceX

That announcement is exactly why I brought it up. Suddenly everyone is expressing interest in re-usability. That is probably smart. But I doubt re-usability alone will bring their prices down to Space X levels.
Their rocket has some good cost-effective design choices, like the way the first and second stages share the same engine (just like Falcon 9) and the electric pumps that are simpler than traditional turbopumps. The other thing that will help them a lot is to scale up production numbers. They built a new factory, and are expecting to quadruple production over the next couple of years.

Still, it's hard for a small launcher to compete with a larger one in terms of price per kg. So much of the cost of a rocket is determined by part count, complexity, and precision engineering that doesn't change much between a big and small rocket.

Bregor

Oct 27, 2017
Q&A with Rocket Lab CEO about their reusability plans for Electron and thoughts on SpaceX

Their rocket has some good cost-effective design choices, like the way the first and second stages share the same engine (just like Falcon 9) and the electric pumps that are simpler than traditional turbopumps. The other thing that will help them a lot is to scale up production numbers. They built a new factory, and are expecting to quadruple production over the next couple of years.

Still, it's hard for a small launcher to compete with a larger one in terms of price per kg. So much of the cost of a rocket is determined by part count, complexity, and precision engineering that doesn't change much between a big and small rocket.

To be honest, I'm not so concerned about Rocket Lab - I suspect that if they don't already have their costs under control, they have the organizational agility to get them under control. The Rocket Lab announcement just put it in my mind.

ULA and Arianespace have to watch it, however. Cost - plus contracts and viewing their rockets as job programs has left an evil legacy of disregard for expenses in these organisations. They may be making noise now about looking into re-usable craft, but that alone will be totally insufficient to save them from the newer space companies. They need to get their costs under control, and that requires re-structuring the basic way they approach the business. Will they do it? I wonder.

OP
OP
Crispy75

Crispy75

Oct 25, 2017
Still, it's hard for a small launcher to compete with a larger one in terms of price per kg.

...which is not the only way to judge a launcher. For payloads in Electron's class, you can get a cheaper price if you get a rideshare, but you don't get to control the launch date or the orbital parameters.

Smallsat launchers may one day be made obsolete by regular mass launch (10 Starships a day sort of thing). They used to send a single plane with an important or time-critical payload in the early days of air freight. But today you can get anything to anywhere, quickly, even if your payload has to go via a freight hub. In space, that would mean mass launch to a parking orbit where refuelable tugs are waiting to take your payload to its specific orbit.

Gashprex

Oct 25, 2017
Aborted at t +.8 when engine failed to fire due to "torch igniter" - a second attempt possible today. I'd guess around 8-8:30 by the time they refuel. SpaceX stream still going - looks super cool.

Gashprex

Oct 25, 2017
Somebody forgot to check the wires - looks like they are going to try again today. I bet they never mess that up again - but I guess that's the point of testing.

William

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
The everyday astronaut stream had a good view of it, once it got in the air, he went nuts.

Also something flew off at the end,looked like a little booster or something

edit:

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Is that a full size engine just strapped to a dummy rig for testing, or a smaller version for validating the concept only?

Looked amazing but weirdly fake - I guess the odd shape kinda looked like old 50's scifi

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
Is that a full size engine just strapped to a dummy rig for testing, or a smaller version for validating the concept only?

Looked amazing but weirdly fake - I guess the odd shape kinda looked like old 50's scifi
It's a test mini rig with one of the brand new Raptor engines. Final Starship will have few of them, and BFR will have 30+ of them.

All previous Falcon9/Falcon Heavy launches have used Merlin engines.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
Bloody hell - that'll be more like the Russian rockets. How will that compare in thrust to Saturn V first stage?
IIRC a fully fuelled Starship would weigh about 30% more than a Saturn V. So thrust is going to be bigger too.

Teslarati posted this on their website, but I have no idea how accurate they might be, and I'm fairly sure they have their head buried a little too far.

Now expected to feature 35 Raptors in its final iteration, SpaceX's Super Heavy booster can now be expected to produce a minimum of ~70,000 kN (15.7M lbf) of thrust at full throttle, assuming that all 35 Raptors are the throttleable ~2000 kN variant. According to Musk, SpaceX may also develop a simplified Raptor with minimal throttling that would produce upwards of ~2500 kN (550,000 lbf) of thrust.

If, say, 5 throttleable Raptors were kept as the center cluster of engines used for landing and critical recovery-related burns, a Super Heavy booster with 30 uprated Raptors could produce upwards of 85,000 kN (19.1M lbf) of thrust at launch. In no uncertain terms, a Super Heavy booster anywhere inside those rough bounds (70 MN to 85 MN) would be packing double the thrust of NASA's Saturn V rocket and double the thrust of NASA's in-development SLS rocket in its higher-thrust variants.

One thing is for sure, its going to be one hell of a show when one goes up.

Last edited: