• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Jan 27, 2020
Washington, DC
We'll get it next time. 'Merica!

GettyImages_809911566_sized.0.jpg

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My friend just messaged me saying "why don't they just launch on a sunny day?"

Why am I friends with these people.

Lionheart360

Oct 27, 2017
Eventually, if we want to have rapid/repeatable launches one after the other, we're going to have to build better weather-resistant rockets. The scrub rate for even just regular satellite launches is really high, and with all the new players entering the rocket arena, there's going to be a traffic jam spacecraft waiting in line on the launch pad.

papertowel

Nov 6, 2017
Sounds like they're saying if T-0 was 10 minutes later they would've been good for launch dang. And the reason why they can't just wait the 10 minutes, Dragon would not be able to match the ISS orbit as the Earth would have rotated away from it. This stuff needs to be super precise.

Sec0nd

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
This is such a ridiculous take lol. This thing has literally gone to the space station completely unmanned a few times now.

I know, and that's why I mentioned their track record.

To me, there is some kind of comfort in the tech that was on display with the older rockets. All the often analog equipment, the engineered exterior, etc. It looks the part of crazy piece of engineering. How crude-looking they might have been. With these sleek SpaceX designs, almost all the tech is hidden away. And to me at first glance that looks mighty scary. As if they are being sent to space in an empty shell.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like they're saying if T-0 was 10 minutes later they would've been good for launch dang. And the reason why they can't just wait the 10 minutes, Dragon would not be able to match the ISS orbit as the Earth would have rotated away from it. This stuff needs to be super precise.

Do the resupply missions have instantaneous launch windows?

papertowel

Nov 6, 2017
Do the resupply missions have instantaneous launch windows?
For Falcon 9 yes. The other reason why its an instant window is because SpaceX uses super cooled fuel in its rocket. They make it super dense to squeeze as much performance as they can. A fueled Falcon 9 can't sit on the pad for long because then the super cooled fuel begins warming up.

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
Eventually, if we want to have rapid/repeatable launches one after the other, we're going to have to build better weather-resistant rockets. The scrub rate for even just regular satellite launches is really high, and with all the new players entering the rocket arena, there's going to be a traffic jam spacecraft waiting in line on the launch pad.

A big reason for this is the cost. No one wants a rocket to explode or something else catastrophic to happen. As launches become cheaper (and safer) they'll be more willing to launch when the weather isn't perfect.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For Falcon 9 yes. The other reason why its an instant window is because SpaceX uses super cooled fuel in its rocket. They make it super dense to squeeze as much performance as they can. A fueled Falcon 9 can't sit on the pad for long because then the super cooled fuel begins warming up.

Yeah I heard EA talking about that earlier :-)

Lionheart360

Oct 27, 2017
A big reason for this is the cost. No one wants a rocket to explode or something else catastrophic to happen. As launches become cheaper (and safer) they'll be more willing to launch when the weather isn't perfect.
Understandable. I've also heard that bigger rockets like Starship and New Glenn will be less prone to wind then say a Falcon 9, so that should certainly help. Plus new launch sites like the one in Boca Chica will hopefully alleviate the NASA launch pads a bit.

papertowel

Nov 6, 2017
Falcon 9 is also more susceptible to high upper winds then some other rockets because of how thin it is. (not sure how much more susceptible though)

Theres a ratio between the length of a rocket to its width. Go too thin and aerodynamic stress will snap the rocket in half. Starship will be much wider and in theory should be able to deal with winds better.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Falcon 9 is also more susceptible to high upper winds then some other rockets because of how thin it is. (not sure how much more susceptible though)

Theres a ratio between the length of a rocket to its width. Go too thin and aerodynamic stress will snap the rocket in half. Starship will be much wider and in theory should be able to deal with winds better.

That seems like the exact opposite of what I'd have expected.

coldcrush

Jun 11, 2018
Great interview with Elon and Jim Bridenstine about the launch and how this is not just the next step in replacing the shuttle but how it opens up doors to much more for Nasa's future, Everyday astronaut is awesome and has alot of great content where he looks at the Rockets, the engines and all sorts of cool stuff. Very informative

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
This is a trip to watch.

It's like we should warn the astronauts someone is trying go break in!

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY

Not to mention if, God forbid, something catastrophic happens and the astronauts are killed after being sent up in less than ideal conditions. Such a move with this many eyes on the flight could potentially kill SpaceX as a company and kill manned space exploration in the US.

Better to be safe than very, very sorry in this situation.

DannyGlover

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I get disappointed on a flight delay when on an airplane. Can't imagine the feeling of a space flight delay.

jotun?

Oct 28, 2017
Aren't launch windows to the ISS very common since it's just in low earth orbit?
The ISS orbits on a fixed plane in space, while the earth rotates under it. So even though it completes an orbit every ~93 minutes, it's over a different point of the earth each time.

Each day, a launch site will be on the plane of the target orbit twice, but usually only one of those is meaningful because they want to launch in a particular direction (one would be northeast, one would be southeast).

In addition to having the orbital plane line up, you also want to have the phase line up well enough to be able to rendezvous with the target in a reasonable amount of time. On some days, the target will be directly above you at plane alignment, on some days it might be on the other side of the planet. I don't know exactly what range of phase alignment they look for, but it's limited in some way.

KimiNewt

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ya'll have 24 hours to start playing Kerbal Space Program to figure out why it's important to launch at just the right time.

Mengy

Oct 25, 2017
Ya'll have 24 hours to start playing Kerbal Space Program to figure out why it's important to launch at just the right time.

Yeah, seriously. I've learned more about rocketry from KSP than I did in a lifetime of reading and studying it. Best learning is by doing! And losing many, many Kerbals along the way....

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, seriously. I've learned more about rocketry from KSP than I did in a lifetime of reading and studying it. Best learning is by doing! And losing many, many Kerbals along the way....
Same, I have a physics degree and until I played KSP I had almost no idea how orbital mechanics worked. relevant xkcd
Weather for tomorrow is looking like a coin flip... again.

Better than nothing, I hope we see it fly tomorrow.