• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

mere_immortal

Oct 25, 2017
Drone ship landing is the coolest shit. Also still can't get over how simple the inside of dragon looks compared with the space shuttle or Soyuz. Benefit of the screens I guess.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
SpaceX is making this look easy. Incredible .
I think one of their major hurdles musk has talked about is reusing the spaceships.
They might be reusing them next year, I'm not sure what other issues they have atm.

daez.jpg
cool!

Orbis

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Another textbook launch by SpaceX. Great to see this awesome manned craft enter full service.

Deleted member 14568

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They might be reusing them next year, I'm not sure what other issues they have atm.
Endeavour(demo-2 capsule) is set to be reused next launch in march/may the issues they have is with the heatshield having more wear than expected also the booster that supported todays mission will be used for that launch

OP
OP
Ether_Snake

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Do we have anti-space people yet?
Extreme flat-earth religious nutjobs that will shut space tourism down

What's great about all these recent advances is that the brain-numbing "fake!" claims will soon be relegated to the dumbest of all dummies as space launches becomes more common. It is a crime against humanity's future to downplay these advances, children deserve to see what opportunities lies ahead of them and these missions are going to keep bringing visibility to this.

Space exploration is one of the main engines in eliminating our fear of the unknown, eliminating superstition, and give science the importance it deserves. And it's exactly why there has been a resurgence of paranoia against it recently, it's desperation before we break through.

Lionheart360

Oct 27, 2017
What's great about all these recent advances is that the brain-numbing "fake!" claims will soon be relegated to the dumbest of all dummies as space launches becomes more common. It is a crime against humanity's future to downplay these advances, children deserve to see what opportunities lies ahead of them and these missions are going to keep bringing visibility to this.

Space exploration is one of the main engines in eliminating our fear of the unknown, eliminating superstition, and give science the importance it deserves. And it's exactly why there has been a resurgence of paranoia against it recently, it's desperation before we break through.
Yup. Especially with all the new jobs that will be opening up in the space sector, it will become even more normal among the masses. I think space this century is set for a boom similar to the silicon valley boom of the late 20th century.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You mean like Gary Busey's shitty brother in Contact?
coonhe6wsaafhl0.jpg

Seriously I don't know what happens to security once space tourism is opened up to non-millionaires.
Space terrorism would be incredibly difficult to control.

Also whoever and whatever country makes it to Mars first is going to be crazy big landmark.
I can totally see countries sabotaging each other to land first.

KimiNewt

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lol, thanks.

EDIT: The video answered the first part of my question but it didn't really address the second part.
I believe that this route is "expensive" energy route, and the Soyuz only does it because being inside of a Soyuz is torture. The Dragon has a lot more space so they can do it in a longer route and save on energy. Plus with the "fast route" you have a very small window to launch so it makes logistics of a launch a lot harder.

Last edited:

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I believe that this route is "expensive" energy route, and the Soyuz only does it because being inside of a Soyuz is torture. The Dragon has a lot more space so they can do it in a longer route and save on energy. Plus with the "fast route" you have a very small window to launch so it makes logistics of a launch a lot harder.
Soyuz is also very limited on fuel, oxygen supply etc. It only has enough essential fuel and oxygen for 4 days of flight in orbit. So the standard route uses up pretty much half their fuel supply which significantly limits emergency supply etc.

I imagine the fact they are packed in worse than sardines plays a factor too though. Spacex Capsule is like a mansion in comparison

XenIneX

Oct 28, 2017
Lol, thanks.

EDIT: The video answered the first part of my question but it didn't really address the second part.
The answer is that it could be replicated. But there a couple reasons they don't want to.

For one, they'd have to expend maneuvering propellant on the ISS so it's orbit was pre-matched for the rendezvous. That propellant isn't free; it has to be brought up by either Progress or (IIRC) Cygnus resupply vehicles, at a cost of thousands of dollars per kilo. Sure, they could; but without a solid reason to, they'd rather not.

Secondly -- and more importantly -- they'd loose the flexibility of being able to push the launch to a later date. See, Soyuz's launch complex is in the middle of a desert. That means there are a lot of weather conditions they just don't have to deal with. Add in a little Russian engineering, and you can have a rocket that can generally brute force its way through what few inclement conditions remain. So, trading some of the ISS's propellant for crew comfort becomes a reasonable gamble.

The US, on the other hand, decided to stick most of its launch facilities in the middle of hurricane country. All it takes is the wrong kind of clouds -- or Florida Man in a fishing boat -- and the launch has to be pushed, wasting all that expended propellant, because the orbit will be different come next launch window.

So instead, we accept that there might be a bit of a wait, and build our capsules to be comfortable enough to deal with it. Unfortunately, this go round we ended up with a 27 hour coast phase. Had the weather not kept them from launching a day earlier, they would have taken 8-ish hours. If they'd had to push the launch again, they'd have waited two days (40+ hour coast phase) to get back to a day with an ~8 hour coast phase. And depending on the vagaries of orbital mechanics (and NASA's dense policy documentation), a future Crew Dragon launch could get a shot at an even shorter coast.

Peru

Oct 26, 2017
These numbered black uniform clad henchwomen and men still just remind me of James Bond

6ED4ahW.png

Box

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lancashire
coonhe6wsaafhl0.jpg

Seriously I don't know what happens to security once space tourism is opened up to non-millionaires.
Space terrorism would be incredibly difficult to control.

Also whoever and whatever country makes it to Mars first is going to be crazy big landmark.
I can totally see countries sabotaging each other to land first.
Well known religious nutjob who set up a fucking stage right next to where the cars carrying all the top brass pass by manages to blag his way right to the top of the tower looking unhinged as fuck all the time, oh and with a bomb.
I adore Contact ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
Do they have any videos of the inside of that capsule to get an idea of how much space they have? Just watching the takeoff and these videos is giving me anxiety
They have plenty space. If you want to know true anxiety, you need to see the insides of Russian parts of ISS and Soyuz.

This is a nice tour, but you should look for better tours of Russian parts

Last edited:

Crispy75

Oct 25, 2017
Do they have any videos of the inside of that capsule to get an idea of how much space they have? Just watching the takeoff and these videos is giving me anxiety
This has some nice shots
Cross section (light blue is the habitable volume. It's quite roomy - like a large van.
S5MqyxP.png

Well, until recently astronauts could only get to space on board a Soyuz (russian) capsule, and um...

usastronauts.jpg
To be fair that's the Reentry Module, with everything packed for descent (Soyuz is one of the only ways to get things back *down* from the station)
Soyuz also has the Orbital Module, which the astronauts can hang out in on ascent.
J8VYQfO.png

OP
OP
Ether_Snake

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I wonder, is anyone working at NASA/SpaceX who used to be on location now actually operating from... home?