• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Crispy75

Oct 25, 2017
The thought of a corporation roughly tripling the number of satellites in orbit gives me Kessler syndrome worries.
The satellites orbit low enough to experience slight drag from the upper atmosphere. Without continuous reboosting, they will fall out of the sky and burn up all on their own. No Kessler Syndrome danger at all.

strudelkuchen

Oct 25, 2017

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
The mock ups of satellites encasing the world kind of reminds me of flies around a carcass.

PanickyFool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The satellites orbit low enough to experience slight drag from the upper atmosphere. Without continuous reboosting, they will fall out of the sky and burn up all on their own. No Kessler Syndrome danger at all.
That's not true. It is highly minimized, but I high speed impact can still send debris into higher orbits.

Oct 25, 2017
México
Look. I'm very happy for the persons in rural America, Canada and other first world countries finally getting the service. And $99 USD per month seems completely reasonable. Not too cheap, not too expensive... just right.

But unfortunately, $99 USD is a lot of money for the rest of the world (at least third-world countries as they are called).

Look, I live in Mexico, border with TX. The international bridge is literally 10 minutes away from my house, and I get to visit the USA a couple of times per month for shopping and stuff (well, not during the pandemic).

We have lots of ISPs here in the country: Telmex, IZZI, TotalPlay, Axtel, Megacable and some smaller ones and regional ones. But the prices are way cheaper than in the USA: Telmex Is around $30 USD for optical fiber (150mbps) for one of the most expensive plans in their lineup (most people are paying around $15 and $20 USD per month).

And I know Starlink is not competing against regular ISPs, but complementing them. I live in a neighborhood that doesn't cable utility poles (all the cabling is underground) and ISPs won't offer the service here. The annoying part is that the utility poles with fiber are 400 meters away from my house. I can literally see the fiber from my window.

But $99 USD is a lot of money for a regular Mexican person.

Most people in the country are living with around $100 USD peer week. That would mean a whole week of salary for the service (25%). That's not doable at all. How do most people survive with that kind of income? Well, everything is cheaper here. Most cell phone plans are like $10 USD. Services are way cheaper. Same with food.

SpaceX needs to have regional pricing if they want to succeed in the rest of the world. Now, I know the equipment is expensive, and I don't think most people would have a problem making the initial $500 USD investment.

But a recurring $99 USD per month fee would be almost impossible to pay for 90% of the population in developing countries.

NunezL

Jun 17, 2020
Look. I'm very happy for the persons in rural America, Canada and other first world countries finally getting the service. And $99 USD per month seems completely reasonable. Not too cheap, not too expensive... just right.

But unfortunately, $99 USD is a lot of money for the rest of the world (at least third-world countries as they are called).

Look, I live in Mexico, border with TX. The international bridge is literally 10 minutes away from my house, and I get to visit the USA a couple of times per month for shopping and stuff (well, not during the pandemic).

We have lots of ISPs here in the country: Telmex, IZZI, TotalPlay, Axtel, Megacable and some smaller ones and regional ones. But the prices are way cheaper than in the USA: Telmex Is around $30 USD for optical fiber (150mbps) for one of the most expensive plans in their lineup (most people are paying around $15 and $20 USD per month).

And I know Starlink is not competing against regular ISPs, but complementing them. I live in a neighborhood that doesn't cable utility poles (all the cabling is underground) and ISPs won't offer the service here. The annoying part is that the utility poles with fiber are 400 meters away from my house. I can literally see the fiber from my window.

Most people in the country are living with around $100 USD peer week. That would mean a whole week of salary for the service (25%). That's not doable at all. How do most people survive with that kind of income? Well, everything is cheaper here. Most cell phone plans are like $10 USD. Services are way cheaper. Same with food.

SpaceX needs to have regional pricing if they want to succeed in the rest of the world. Now, I know the equipment is expensive, and I don't think most people would have a problem making the initial $500 USD investment.

But a recurring $99 USD per month fee would be almost impossible to pay for 90% of the population in developing countries.
I hear you. I live in Argentina and 100$ is way too high. We'll see if they adjust their prices in the next few years. It makes sense that they would.

Crispy75

Oct 25, 2017
That's not true. It is highly minimized, but I high speed impact can still send debris into higher orbits.
Hmm yes maybe (citation needed :-P)
But a higher orbit with an identical perigee, so still eventually slowed down.

As for the cost: It was always going to be high to begin with. Building and launching 1000s of satellites is very expensive business, and the dish is a very sophisticated phased array of the kind previously only seen in military radar. It will come down over time.

In the mean time, sharing the connection with neighbours would be the best way to make it more affordable.

sgtnosboss

Nov 9, 2017
I live in the middle of nowhere. I would jump on his for sure. God it would be amazing to finally have faster than 10/1. I would love to be able to download a game AND work. At the rate I am now I have to pick one or the other so games take weeks to finish or get all of them updated before I can even play. I literally have to plan like 3 days ahead if I wanna play games because I know there is likely like 20 games waiting to update.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Nice thing about the satellites being at ~550km altitude, is that atmospheric drag will clear up any debris all on its own in about 5 years.

At the moment, Starlink satellites just act as a relay to a regional ground station peered to the internet. Once the constellation fills out enough that customers aren't having to aim at the far-northern horizon to maintain a connection, it should be knocked down to about a 20ms penalty. (Excepting special circumstances, like using floating relays for multi-hop paths to offshore locations, or weird things like that.)

Next year, once they start filling orbital planes with satellites equipped with laser links, anything over a couple thousand miles could feasibly be faster than fiber, thanks to speed-of-light-in-a-vacuum advantages. We'll have to see what the future holds.
Yeah!!! All that free vacumn in space! Delicious!

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I hear you. I live in Argentina and 100$ is way too high. We'll see if they adjust their prices in the next few years. It makes sense that they would.

Split the cost with someone else, you don't need all the bandwidth. This is what hotels and AirBnBs do.

Sir, I do heavy remote work, stream HD, etc, with 25mbps without a hitch. This is s non-issue. Like I said you can split the costs. You do not need 150mbps.

Oct 25, 2017
México
Split the cost with someone else, you don't need all the bandwidth. This is what hotels and AirBnBs do.

Sir, I do heavy remote work, stream HD, etc, with 25mbps without a hitch. This is s non-issue. Like I said you can split the costs. You do not need 150mbps.
Sir, I have lived in this house for the past 6 years, and I have been working from home for a year now. Your 25mbps are actually decent.

My speed is 5mbps.

Of course Starlink for $99 USD is decent and decently priced in first world countries, but not here. It's out of reach. And it's not like I could share the service with neighbors. It's not a village here.

NunezL

Jun 17, 2020
It's not for me but for my parents. They live in a rural area and would have no one to share it with.
They have the money but would never pay that much for internet.

Also, not to burst your bubble but I live with 170 dollars a month my dude. Nobody is going to pay 100 dollars per month for internet here, it's more than my rent.
I share bills with my roommate and my internet costs me 10 dollars a month.

Last edited:

PanickyFool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm yes maybe (citation needed :-P)
But a higher orbit with an identical perigee, so still eventually slowed down.

As for the cost: It was always going to be high to begin with. Building and launching 1000s of satellites is very expensive business, and the dish is a very sophisticated phased array of the kind previously only seen in military radar. It will come down over time.

In the mean time, sharing the connection with neighbours would be the best way to make it more affordable.
Another Kerbal can I see.

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
$99 is a bit high. If they were to lower the price a bit I'd consider using it over Comcast...

nded

Nov 14, 2017
A lot of people in this thread that haven't spent much time outside of cities in developed countries.

jotun?

Oct 28, 2017
Debris could end up in orbits with higher apogee, but even in the worst case the perigee would be at the altitude where the impact occurred

If you're at 500km and you apply some kind of impulse, whether its from an engine burn or a collision, your resulting orbit will still pass through 500km

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
I would totally go for 99 dollars for a preorder but that $499 is really preventing me at the moment.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
The worst part about my rural DSL, and I suspect my area isn't alone in this, is that in addition to literally being dog shit AND expensive, it is HORRIBLY unreliable. What starlink is offering, and even currently delivering on (let alone how we know its going to vastly improve), will literally be a night and day experience.

Foltzie

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
A lot of people in this thread that haven't spent much time outside of cities in developed countries.
True, its also important to know that this is potentially a product that will come down in price with time, which is Tesla's gimmick (offer a premium product and lower the price over time).

StrangeADT

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Those results are amazing for rural internet. The last time I went shopping around about 2 months ago the best I could find was $130 a month for 25 mbps satellite internet with a 100 GB data cap.

Rural areas get screwed over hard by ISPs because they know we have no other choice. Until now.
I don't think it's entirely due to lack of choice. Per user infrastructure costs are probably higher too. But I'm just guessing so maybe others have hard data to prove that wrong.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
Poor phrasing on my part. More that I find the $500 hardware cost a bigger starting barrier to entry for many.
In any case, Starlink does not have capacity right now for everyone, so high entry price will control the arrival of new customers until more satellites go up.

Will weather affect the use of this?
There are bunch of YT videos from beta testers, it's working fine in rain/snow. Heavy snow on the dish can reduce the signal quality, but antenna is making its own heat so it can melt the snow.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it's entirely due to lack of choice. Per user infrastructure costs are probably higher too. But I'm just guessing so maybe others have hard data to prove that wrong.
You're not wrong. It's the same reason 5G won't save rural America either. Cell companies have no financial incentive to build out entirely new towers/expand coverage into the sticks to MAYBE acquire 5 new customers per tower. The math just doesn't work out.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
Will weather affect the use of this?

From what I've read and seen clouds and rain don't affect it much, if at all. Falling snow definitely impacts performance though, download, upload, and a pretty erratic ping. Clearing snow off the dish helps marginally - it seems its worst when it flying.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
For people in other countries, one encouraging part of this is they can probably use the infrastructure to extend service to different countries and price them based on COL. Just going by instinct these are very much "targeting US customers" prices and not "minimum anywhere in the world" prices. Also works as a proof of concept for imitators or competing services.

Mengy

Oct 25, 2017
Got my beta invite ordered yesterday, hope to take delivery in a few weeks. Good bye unreliable, 3mbps down / -1mbps up, and expensive DSL forever

Same here, ordered mine yesterday and the kit should arrive in 2-4 weeks. Can't wait to cancel my 7mbps up/ 0.5mbps down DSL!

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
Same here, ordered mine yesterday and the kit should arrive in 2-4 weeks. Can't wait to cancel my 7mbps up/ 0.5mbps down DSL!

I spent the morning using the app to try and determine the best location (without actually getting on my icy/snowy roof) with the least obstruction. I watched a video of a guy that set his up with some obstruction and still got good results, so I feel pretty good I'll find a spot - just hoping it can also be somewhere accessible to clear snow off when it falls heavy.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
is there any way to manually check what your specific speed would be in your exact area?

Kildrek

Oct 25, 2017
I'm currently paying 64.99 a month for 200Mbps, but I usually get anywhere from 300-450.

I'm so excited for rural people to be able to have reliable internet, but I think I'll jump on the band wagon when they reach their proposed goals of higher speeds. I can't justify 99 a month for less speed, but I'm in when they get higher speeds like they have been proposing.

Kildrek

Oct 25, 2017
I was browsing their fine print and I love where their heads at tho! Got some stuff in there about service provided on Mars, in transit to Mars, and how Mars is a free planet that no Earth based government has authority over!

Some fun fine details