• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 14568

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Last edited:

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017

VoxPop

Oct 30, 2017
Really glad something like this is finally happening. People shit on Elon but stuff like this really is a game changer. Fuck telecoms.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
Gbps speeds with 10-20ms of latency is shit tier. With no data caps and with global coverage. Right.

RussTC3

Banned
Nov 28, 2018
Damn, people really are willing to overpay for convenience aren't they lol. $500 for the equipment and $99/month. Eek. Sucks that this is a solution. Just goes to show how shitty of a situation we're in when this is considered acceptable.

And here I am continuing to hold out hope that $50/mo for 1Gb is around the corner.

Exellus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Damn, people really are willing to overpay for convenience aren't they lol. $500 for the equipment and $99/month. Eek. Sucks that this is a solution. Just goes to show how shitty of a situation we're in when this is considered acceptable.

And here I am continuing to hold out hope that $50/mo for 1 Gig is around the corner.

My Dad currently pays $100 per month for Hughes net which lets you watch 360p Youtube videos on a Good day.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Think this is for middle class Americans/Canadians living in rural telecom deserts.

Coolverine

May 7, 2018
i am in this only for the IPO as this is some amazing stuff they are aiming for. helps LOTS of people.

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But $99/month USD is a lot to ask for many citizens in developing countries, so this can't really be for them.
Right now the availability is limited to mostly 1st World Countries due to the way deployment is being done. They are working from the North Pole South.

They will offer regional pricing as they have made clear they intend to offer Internet to the entire planet.

caff!!!

Oct 29, 2017
I've been keeping an eye on this as our ADSL is in the shitter here in France. It's not that it's slow (although it is at 4-5Mb) it's that it's so inconsistent and drops out when the wind gets beyond a stiff breeze. Orange have no interest in fixing the shitty cabling as they're supposedly going to have 100% fibre coverage by 2025.

The monthly charge though... We've just sacked off Orange and have unlimited 4G which is giving us about 30-40Mb download. Upload can vary from 2-10Mb. All for 32€ a month.

I get that in larger countries, some rural areas any ADSL or mobile won't even be an option, so in that regard it seems a much better offering than existing satellite broadband.
AT&T promised where I lived fiber in a few years, but then decided you're switching to point install 4G with a low cap instead. Thankfully cable and point install 4G is an option here but this is so much better than current satellite plans in the states

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I heard about this earlier today. I'm definitely not in their target market, but it's good news for people who already pay almost $100 for awful service.
End goal when the full network is deployed is gigabit internet so if they can achieve their end goal it will be a threat to all ISPs

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
At Starlink's speed you could split it 10 ways or more and still have decent internet. Have a rural village set up a wifi spot or something.

This. Any concerns about prices don't get it or are disingenuous. You can easily split one connection for multiple homes if they are close and then it's possible even over longer distances. Most people wouldn't need the full bandwidth.

Mars

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, this would be a great proposition for folks in more rural areas. I have relatives who pay the same price for unreliable 5-7Mbps a month.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Musk probably has a huge market with people in rural or hard to get areas. This could be huge.

Gwarm

Nov 13, 2017
My in-laws have traditional satellite internet and it tops out around 1.5 mbps with 700 ms latency. This will be a game changer for people in that situation.

Cats

Oct 27, 2017
Oh yeah, I didn't even realize the upload speeds, which are 5-8mbit higher than me on my hard line cable connection to a huge isp. That's hilarious.

Tedesco!

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 30, 2017
I signed up for this yesterday. For the record, I am paying $87/month for 6mbps. The monetary investment in Starlink is totally worth it.

Oct 25, 2017
T-Mobile isn't the shit network it used to be

Just because they added Sprint's towers to their network didn't magically make their rural coverage better. Sprint's rural coverage sucked too. I know this because I've had two stints with T-Mo in the past two years because I WANT to like them, but when I got to visit my folks in the sticks, I don't have a functioning phone. People like my parents are exactly the people we are talking about Starlink serving.

mentok15

Dec 20, 2017
Australia
I highly doubt a country with censored internet would allow the import of these things and I don't think Starlink is open sourcing their linking tech or opening their bandwidth to everyone with a dish or however it works.
I wouldn't be surprised to see a black market for the hardware though. And here in Australia we have some censoring of the internet with piracy sites, and I doubt our gov will do much to prevent this here.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
The thought of a corporation roughly tripling the number of satellites in orbit gives me Kessler syndrome worries.

FWIW, at least on paper, the satellites are so small that their impact profile SHOULDN'T be terribly harmful to other objects should they malfunction and break orbit and are designed to burn up in early re-entry.

But I feel you. It's not like you can test for Kessler Syndrome.

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
ISPs step up fight against SpaceX, tell FCC that Starlink will be too slow

The study was commissioned by the Fiber Broadband Association (FBA) and NTCA-The Rural Broadband Association. They are urging the FCC to carefully examine whether SpaceX's Starlink broadband service should receive money from the Rural Digital Opportunity Fund (RDOF), which recently awarded SpaceX $885.51 million over 10 years to bring Starlink to 642,925 homes and businesses in 35 states. The funding for SpaceX and other ISPs won't be finalized until the FCC reviews their long-form applications, which were submitted after the reverse auction.
NTCA represents 850 small telcos while the FBA represents a mix of ISPs, municipalities, and vendors that sell equipment and services to ISPs. The FBA and NTCA filing comes days after lobby groups for electric co-ops that provide broadband told the FCC that SpaceX's low Earth orbit (LEO) satellite technology is experimental and unproven, and it shouldn't get funding. The electric co-op groups also raised concerns about fixed-wireless services that are slated to receive FCC funding.
The FCC will examine SpaceX's technical claims before approving the money, but Starlink may in fact be the best option for numerous Americans who live in broadband deserts. Fiber-to-the-home is obviously today's gold standard for broadband, providing the fastest speeds, uploads that are as fast as downloads, and excellent reliability. But incumbent ISPs haven't extended fiber-to-the-home to huge portions of the United States, especially in rural America and even in many urban and suburban areas.
While incumbent ISPs are wary of the new competition from Starlink's low Earth orbit satellites, traditional wireline telcos are no guarantee to meet FCC deployment requirements. CenturyLink and Frontier recently missed FCC deployment deadlines in dozens of states, and both of them are slated to get more money from the new RDOF program.
arstechnica.com

SpaceX's FCC broadband funding faces more opposition from telco trade groups.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

arstechnica.com

SpaceX's FCC broadband funding faces more opposition from telco trade groups.

Even if the FCC went stupid on this, just like if the CRTC did as well, the rest of the world would ultimately go forward and eventually public and political pressure would force their hands.

Corrupt organizations can't stifle progress as easily when it comes to technological innovations anymore.

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's how you know ISPs are shitting themselves. The legal jumps begin. Its already providing speeds like 2-3 times the average high speed DSL line while only partially complete. Will it achieve the promised 1Gigabit with sub 20 ms latency Musk has talked about? Maybe not but it will certainly be more than fast enough to qualify as High Speed Broadband.

I remember when Google was still coming to my town. Cox shit themselves and got really aggressive with speed boosts etc. then went to the courts to fight google until google ended its expansion and then Cox turned to complete shitheads

SeeingeyeDug

Oct 28, 2017
No data caps sounds interesting. My mom just moved to Georgia and she doesn't get any major internet services there. The previous owner is keeping the DSL in his name because they're phasing out the tech and won't allow new customers. This would be amazing for around the same price she's paying for that DSL 5mbps.

PennyStonks

Banned
May 17, 2018
tt68VaS.png

Business class satellite internet. Speeds random, usually very low, after 150gb a month.

Oct 25, 2017
This is terrible, and it's going to cause so much space junk too. It's not even better than 4g. I get that some countries have terrible infrastructure, but fixing that should be (I'm saying should, not is) be cheaper and easier than sending thousands of satelites up into the sky

TheDutchSlayer

Did you find it? Cuez I didn't!
Oct 26, 2017
The Hauge, The Netherlands
This is terrible, and it's going to cause so much space junk too. It's not even better than 4g. I get that some countries have terrible infrastructure, but fixing that should be (I'm saying should, not is) be cheaper and easier than sending thousands of satellites up into the sky
LTT explains in this video that once the satellite has an end of life cycle it burns up on the admosfeer.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
FWIW, at least on paper, the satellites are so small that their impact profile SHOULDN'T be terribly harmful to other objects should they malfunction and break orbit and are designed to burn up in early re-entry.

But I feel you. It's not like you can test for Kessler Syndrome.
I know there are regulations in place to lessen the chances of Kessler syndrome but corporations will cut corners. Considering NASA has made mistakes and occasionally deadly fuckups, the thought of a corporation putting thousands of satellites into orbit is concerning.

Zona

Oct 27, 2017
jfc

Hopefully the arrival of Starlink gives these scummy bloodsuckers sleepless nights.
Know what's great about up here? The satellite options, that are pretty objectively terrible, that everyone complains about, are often not available up here at all. Since a geostationary satellite orbits around the earths equator, a satellite dish in Alaska that wants to lock onto any signal from a geostationary satellite basically has to point at the horizon. So if you have any trees, or God forbid hills around you, it's basically impossible to get a signal.

I'm currently 10 miles from a "city"with gigabit fiber (for close to $200 a month), literally no ISP services the house I'm living in, and I could buy a house in New York for what I've been quoted to get one out here.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
Know what's great about up here? The satellite options, that are pretty objectively terrible, that everyone complains about, are often not available up here at all. Since a geostationary satellite orbits around the earths equator, a satellite dish in Alaska that wants to lock onto any signal from a geostationary satellite basically has to point at the horizon. So if you have any trees, or God forbid hills around you, it's basically impossible to get a signal.

I'm currently 10 miles from a "city"with gigabit fiber (for close to $200 a month), literally no ISP services the house I'm living in, and I could buy a house in New York for what I've been quoted to get one out here.
Starlink will add pole-orbiting satellites that will communicate with one another using lasers. So with time it will work even in the north and south pole.

GMM

Oct 27, 2017
these are not good at all for the price

If you compare it to an urban area with actual competition in terms of internet service providers, these prices are bad even by US standards, i live in Denmark and pay about $50 for a 200/200 fiber connection with ultra low latency, for $80 i could get 1000/1000, so this service is not interesting to me with my current living situation.

The price is however pretty good for people who don't have access to decent internet connectivity or is at the mercy of a single service provider price gauging a poor connection because they are the only provider operating in that area, to those people the $99 asking price of Starlink is actually pretty decent for the service they can provide.

If the choice is paying $99 for decent internet or dialup/no service, i would happily pay for that service if it works well enough.

ronpontelle

Oct 27, 2017
Satellite broadband is fairly cheap here in France, but the data caps are really harsh.

Just checked and I think to get above about 20Mb with about 50GB of download you're getting into these kinds of prices. 70€ or so.

However I've found 4G coverage pretty great here, even in the Normandy countryside. In fact the speeds are faster than I had in Ealing, and my friend who lives in Islington gets 17Mb with his 4G.

The only thing that holds 4G back for me is the 75cm thick stone walls on the house.