• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Schlorgan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah
www.blu-ray.com

Spaceballs 4K Blu-ray

Kino Lorber have revealed that they are planning to release on 4K Blu-ray Mel Brooks' comedy Spaceballs (1987), starring Mel Brooks, John Candy, Rick Moranis, Bill Pullman,and Daphne Zuniga. The release has not yet been dated.

tenor.gif

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
At the risk of being crucified, I saw this film once a few years back and found it painfully unfunny.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
How could there be a 4k Blu Ray of Spaceballs the Movie? They're still in the middle of making it.

DarkSora

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I literally saw this on Netflix the other day for the first time!!

Hilarious movie!! Best was part finding out the guy who made all the sound effects from Police academy was in it and the merchandising scene.

Funny how the merchandising thing happened because George Lucas asked for there to be no merchandise made from the movie.

Oct 27, 2017
At the risk of being crucified, I saw this film once a few years back and found it painfully unfunny.
I concur. But whatever makes people happy in this godforsaken year is fine with me.
Partial agreement. As a kid it was one of my favorite comedies but re-watching as an adult it doesn't quite hold up.

Don't take the gif too literally guys, it's all fun.

Instant Vintage

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
As much as I loved Spaceballs, I have it on DVD already and don't really know if I need a 4K version of it.

Men In Tights, on the other hand? If that came to 4K, I'd buy it instantly.

yyr

Nov 14, 2017
White Plains, NY
In for one!

Required viewing for those folks who've
1) seen Star Wars 4-6 and
2) enjoy watching stupid silly things.

I am one of those people and still love this movie!

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
As for the movie's quality, I think that taken as a complete film, it's not great. But it has enough golden bits put in between to make it a sort of comedy comfort food that allows one to easily recollect it fondly while overlooking its sometimes awkward presentation or jokes that just fall flat.

I feel this way about a lot of Mel Brooks movies, actually.

More details
OP
OP
Schlorgan

Schlorgan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah

Special Features and Technical Specs:

DISC ONE: 4K BLU-RAY
  • DOLBY VISION/HDR PRESENTATION OF THE FILM
  • Audio Commentary by Mel Brooks
  • 5.1 Surround & 2.0 Lossless Stereo
  • Optional English Subtitles
DISC TWO: BLU-RAY
  • FORCE YOURSELF! Spaceballs and the Skroobing of Sci-Fi with Mel Brooks and Rudy De Luca
  • SPACEBALLS: The Documentary
  • In Conversation with Mel Brooks and Co-Writer Thomas Meehan
  • John Candy: Comic Spirit
  • Film Flubs
  • Watch SPACEBALLS in Ludicrous Speed
  • Storyboards to Film Comparison
  • Behind-the-Scenes Image Gallery
  • Posters & Art Image Gallery
  • Exhibitor Trailer with Mel Brooks Introduction
  • Theatrical Teaser
  • Theatrical Trailer
  • Reversible Art
  • 5.1 Surround & 2.0 Lossless Stereo
  • Optional English Subtitles

12507_tn.jpg

Releasing April 13.

Jun 14, 2019
I concur. But whatever makes people happy in this godforsaken year is fine with me.
Partial agreement. As a kid it was one of my favorite comedies but re-watching as an adult it doesn't quite hold up.

Don't take the gif too literally guys, it's all fun.

Take the video literally, though. It's a goddamn shame.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
I do love Spaceballs, its aged a bit but not as bad as other Mel Brooks movies have. Or other similar Hollywood comedies have (looking at you Ace Ventura)

But since Robin Wood Men in Tights was mentioned I have to share this.

The lyrics are problematic, but it's fun that people do this for their wedding.

Setsune

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

I'm highly suspicious that this'll be the exact same (Laserdisc?) commentary they've recycled for several releases now. Mel Brooks saying "That's (Actor), terrific person, terrific person." for the entirety of the film. Nice in spirit, but barely touches on the actual movie.

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
I'm highly suspicious that this'll be the exact same (Laserdisc?) commentary they've recycled for several releases now. Mel Brooks saying "That's (Actor), terrific person, terrific person." for the entirety of the film. Nice in spirit, but barely touches on the actual movie.

I would assume it's a re-release as well, but to be fair there isn't much left to say. It's a brilliant Star Wars parody and the videocassette scene is definitely in my Mount Rushmore of hilarious comedy moments...but Mel never got traction for Spaceballs 2: The Search for More Money and Rick Moranis is still only barely involved with acting. As much as I think Mel could brilliantly skewer where SW has gone since then, I'm inclined to just assume it will forever stay in the catalog of the Mel Brooks film history and that's that.

(And it's fittingly absurd that the one movie most upfront about making money can't actually do it.)