• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Stalker

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Basically all media has conditioned my brain to understand space as infinite but across a strict single plane. When I correct myself and understand it's absolutely infinite in every possible direction forever and ever It's like my brain Blue Screens, I can't

Infinite and expanding.. Into what? for how long? what absolute wonders exist we will never ever even conceive.

Space

Wew

It's something

I Want to know everything

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
But then you get those bits where it folds back in on itself.

Relativity is a helluva drug.

M. Wallace

Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
OUFKNCo.gif

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Space is not expanding as in gaining ground. It's expanding like the surface of a balloon expands when you blow into it.

JustTom

May 28, 2018
Germany...
Basically all media has conditioned my brain to understand space as infinite but across a strict single plane. When I correct myself and understand it's absolutely infinite in every possible direction forever and ever It's like my brain Blue Screens, I can't

Infinite and expanding.. Into what? for how long? what absolute wonders exist we will never ever even conceive.

Space

Wew

It's something

I Want to know everything

I totally feel you. Whenever I think about us living on a rock floating through this infinite room my brain explodes. It's too much for my brain to comprehend.

Vilix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
There is no sound.
There is no air pressure.
There is no oxygen.
There is no protection from the radiation of the solar winds.
Temperatures can fluctuate between a million degrees between stars to minus in thousands in open space.

Life in outer space is impossible.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
I was thinking about the fermi paradox the other day and trying to figure out if perhaps even our loose ideas of "infinite" are too restrictive to fully and fairly say that other life should have discovered us by now. Maybe infinite is so undefinable to our minds that we cannot even begin to understand or even imagine it making it far more likely than we think that we could be in some sort of cosmic suburb far from the nearest neighbor.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Space holds on the answers. In space, there are intelligent creatures who can understand and define what space is on a mathematical and language level, but they do not know why kids love cinnamon toast crunch.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
But it expands into something. If you blow a ballon up under water it displaces the water. What's space displacing ?

Hum, it's the same.. except there's vacuum in-between the items being displaced, space expanding between Earth and Mars is displacing those planets by changing their relative positions to each other, if you disregard their motion.

I'm not sure i explained it well enough though... i meant that it doesn't expand into something (as in, when it's said that it's expanding, it's not pushing against something like a country expands to gain territory), but that it's growing, that if you measure two points a metre apart, the expansion of space will increase the distance between those two points such that they no longer measure a metre between them, but something higher.

OP
OP
Stalker

Stalker

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Hum, it's the same.. except there's vacuum in-between the items being displaced, space expanding between Earth and Mars is displacing those planets by changing their relative positions to each other, if you disregard their motion.

I'm not sure i explained it well enough though... i meant that it doesn't expand into something (as in, when it's said that it's expanding, it's not pushing against something like a country expands to gain territory), but that it's growing, that if you measure two points a metre apart, the expansion of space will increase the distance between those two points such that they no longer measure a metre between them, but something higher.

So then the outer edges expand to contain the insides being bigger so whats beyond it that's being pushed against.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
What blows my mind even more is that we exist. It's probably likely that we are Functionally alone. Like the odds are so rare yet here we are.

CoolOff

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
There is no sound.
There is no air pressure.
There is no oxygen.
There is no protection from the radiation of the solar winds.
Temperatures can fluctuate between a million degrees between stars to minus in thousands in open space.

Life in outer space is impossible.

I'm pretty sure nowhere is minus in thousands.

N_Cryo

Avenger
Nov 6, 2017
west coast
Space is scary. You've got the Pillars of Creation:
pillars_of_creation.jpg

Seen far beyond the solar system's reach but because of time dilation, is already eroded and probably gone.

Not to to mention black hole's and reaching the singularity.

Tanuki-Go

One Winged Slayer
Jul 21, 2018
US
Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is.

TwinBahamut

Jun 8, 2018
So then the outer edges expand to contain the insides being bigger so whats beyond it that's being pushed against.
Keep in mind that there are not necessarily any "edges", and that the "balloon" is not a three-dimensional structure, but instead something with more dimensions than that. Space and time are one and the same thing, so the spacetime balloon the Universe exists upon is something that expands into time as much as it expands into space. That is why some say the center of our universe only existed at a certain moment of time, and does not exist in the present universe, much like how you can't reach the center of a balloon by traveling along its surface.

But more detailed explanations are going to be hard to come by, as even cosmologists struggle to answer questions of what our universe is really like, or what may exist outside of it. Some theories even include exotic structures like 15-dimensional M-branes proposed by string theorists, and I certainly don't understand that well enough to explain it here.

Mr Swine

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Isn't it possible that space is expanding in on itself? That eventually all material, stars, planets and what not will come back to the same place? Or rather maybe collide into a new Big Bang?

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
It's pretty crazy when you think about, especially when you realize the earth is flat.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
I've always wondered what people who think that gods were the ones responsible for the cosmic shite think when you tell them that it's really all about random chance and spontaneous order from chaos. It's every bit as mindblowing. Maybe they'll be scared a bit since no amount of prayers will do anything but then you tell them about atomic bombs...

oreomunsta

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Think of everything you know about space.

Everything you've seen.

Everything you've awed at.

Now consider that only makes up only a small fraction of the matter we understand, because the rest of matter is dark and unknown, and doesn't interact in ways we understand