• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
Kinda funky news flash? I dunno, I need more funk in my life than just kinda funk.
This looks like it could be really neat, though hopefully there's a bit of meat to it. I think we're glutted on short little VR "experiences".

haxan

Oct 25, 2017
IS this just PSVR or PCVR too?

Edit NVM: its coming to PC "Soon"

ugh

I'm happy it's coming to other platforms period. I'm fine with a PC delay if it's worth it. We miss out on so many PSVR gems that I'll take it, even if it's late.

Audica makes me feel like I'm playing a mix of this and Ouendan/EBA.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Hope for a quest version if the graphics seem doable. If not I'll maybe go native pc and stream it

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
I'm a little bummed, because a couple weeks ago I was looking for Oculus Touch controllers to prepare for Half-Life: Alyx. IIRC they used to have a $100 bundle with just the two controllers and an extra sensor, but it looks like the cheapest I can find that now is $250?

But with both Half-Life and Space Channel 5 (which honestly I'm more excited for lol), I think I need to just spend the $250...

Youngfossil

Oct 27, 2017
I'm happy it's coming to other platforms period. I'm fine with a PC delay if it's worth it. We miss out on so many PSVR gems that I'll take it, even if it's late.

Audica makes me feel like I'm playing a mix of this and Ouendan/EBA.
the ugh wasnt just for VR, is PC games in general. It's getting old being 2nd class when it's such a huge market.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
The review embargo just lifted. Here's my Ars review:

The campaign weighs in at 27 minutes, and it's broken up into four levels. I didn't go into SC5VR expecting an epic campaign, since the first two games in the series ran at roughly 90 minutes, but the brevity isn't just a bummer from a bang-for-buck standpoint. When a game is this short, its scant selection of music is far easier to scrutinize. These four songs are a far cry from the catchy original games, played back mostly in low-grade MIDI, and some of them cling tightly to a low-resolution sample of the original game's theme.

Between all of the above issues and a lack of storytelling to explain the original series to newcomers, I struggle to recommend SC5VR to anybody who owns PlayStation VR. The worst part is that the game's solid core gameplay is a clear sign that its dev team could have made an excellent and unique VR rhythm game instead of rushing this scant disappointment out for $40.

Tailzo

Fallen Guardian
Oct 27, 2017
This is sad and I expected better than what it sounds like this game has become.

ChanceOwen

Oct 25, 2017
Played through the story. It's a ton of fun but very, very short. It feels like they planned for something longer and cut it short. Wouldn't mind if they did some free dlc to lengthen the story...

Also, no platinum trophy. A travesty.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
$40 is a big ask for a VR game based on a cult IP from nearly 20 years ago. I can't see how VR would really enhance this experience that much either.

I wish them the best of luck though. I never thought we'd see another Space Channel 5.
It's also really short.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like a lot of VR games are launched at a high-price just to take advantage of a content-starved audience, and then subsequently marked down because they know the original asking price was unreasonable.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
www.theverge.com

Space Channel 5 makes a funky return in VR

A Dreamcast classic returns in virtual reality.

At least, that might be what I'd say if I were reviewing it on different hardware. Unfortunately, the PSVR's Move controllers aren't always up to the task. I'd sometimes find myself confused at why Space Channel 5 VR wouldn't recognize what I was convinced was the right action. And this isn't exactly Dance Central or Beat Saber. I'm generally talking about just moving a single Move controller in cardinal directions. This is pretty rough when the game makes you restart a level if you miss three motions.

I suspect this is both a hardware and software problem. Space Channel 5 VR was initially shown off on the HTC Vive, which has much more precise tracking. But I've played more technically demanding PSVR games without running into the same issue. In any case, this PSVR version did not work 100 percent reliably for me, which is a little bit of a buzzkill when you're trying to get into the alien-zapping groove. I am pretty sure I would be much more into this game on the Oculus Quest, which is apparently happening but doesn't yet have a timeframe.

Not cool. I'll play it on Oculus Quest then.

ChanceOwen

Oct 25, 2017

Blufunk

Jan 1, 2018
Just finished the demo and it was fun and worked well.
But with the different reviews and the entry price for a no retail game, I prefer to wait for a price cut.