• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 43657

User requested account closure
Banned
May 19, 2018
Friends,

For whatever reason, I decided to watch The Phantom Menace today, and I stumbled upon a tiny detail that completely ruins the movie for me. About a third of the way through the movie, we're introduced to Amee, a childhood friend of Anakin Skywalker, who for some inexplicable reason wears space braces.

According to Wookieepedia, she lives in the slave quarters of Mos Eisley, which further complicates matters. On our planet, braces are generally considered to be a luxury of the wealthy. Braces are not cheap, and the existence of braces on a planet with a lively slave trade, where most people live in abject poverty, where there is no rhyme or reason to daily life, where there are no roads or infrastructure, makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. Where in Tatooine would an orthodontist open up shop? Across from a cantina? Would it be located near the slave camps or somewhere in a hyper-violent bazaar? Are there droid orthodontists? If droid orthodontists exist, why would a space colony invent or invest in such a thing? You may think this is a small oversight that doesn't affect the story, but I vehemently disagree. The space braces on this young lady exist out of time and space, confounding the viewer.

I ask you, dear reader, to share other tiny details in films that ruin the experience.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
Amee's rich owners make sure all their slaves' teeth are straightened because it wouldn't do for a prestigious family to have slaves with crooked teeth, implying they cannot afford to care for their property.

Not that tough a fix, really.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
there are like easily a hundred other reasons why Phantom Menace is a bad film and space braces are the thing that hold you up

they have crystal powered energy swords

I generally don't get bent up about small details though, but I always feel weird when roles get recast in the middle of franchises or established properties. It's not enough to ruin films for me and, for example, I vastly prefer Moira Kelly's Donna Hayward to Lara Flynn Boyle's in Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me, but still. Same with Cheadle and Terrence Howard as Rhodey in the MCU.

Last edited:

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
In The Mummy they put Imhotep's organs in 5 canopic jars. There are only 4 canopic jars. They didn't remove the heart because Anubis needed that shit after you died.

Also the pyramids are in the wrong spot

---------------------------------

In Resident Evil: The Final Chapter, the Red Queen was working for Wesker the whole time. So in the previous movie, why did Wesker mount a full rescue operation to rescue Alice FROM the Red Queen if he planned to kill her anyway and the Red Queen worked for him?

How did Alice survive a jet flying full speed into the side of a mountain with no powers?

If all the water dried up in the 3rd movie, why is there an ocean and an arctic in the 4th and 5th movie?

If all the Umbrella higher ups were in stasis pods in the hive in Raccoon City and the outbreak was intentional, why was the epicenter of the nuke focused on the hive, the one place you need standing? Why did you start the outbreak in the hive with all your would-be survivors?

How did Jorah Mormont get from the bottom of the hive a mile underground all the way to the surface before the vial could fall out of Alice's hand and hit the ground?

Why is the Red Queen british if neither Alice nor the original are british?

Why was Umbrella continuing to run tests on bioweapons to sell them to world governments after the world had ended and all governments had been destroyed?

How did the Executioner make it from Africa to Los Angeles?

Why did they make Alice clones run the gauntlet if apparently every single one of them had psychic powers and could be used to manufacture a cure?

How was Umbrella planning to retake the world after everyone had been killed off if the virus destroyed the ecosystem beyond repair? Even if the cure is airborne, the ocean isn't gonna just come back (though apparently it did of its own accord)

Why did Ada wear an evening gown to the arctic?

Last edited:

Lord Fagan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's George Lucas' daughter.

In a kids movie about ninja space wizards.

Shall I share more details to continue ruining your experience, OP?

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Remember that thread about how obsession with canon and lore ruins audiences?

Oct 27, 2017
I don't tend to notice small details in movies. My wife does and it's kind of annoying to be honest. She is also incredibly good at spotting all the various continuity errors that inevitably crop up in films; hair clips on different sides, the differing length of lit cigarettes and so on.

I only spot the big details, like the kid in The Road being way too healthy when they're supposed to be starving. The road was a horrible movie, too many amazing scenes from the book excluded.
Look at this robust boy, at least put some makeup on his cheeks to hollow 'em out a bit.

the-road-01-1024x686.jpg

hiredhand

Feb 6, 2019
The thing that ruins movies are overly obsessive fans that whine endlessly about trivial details in their "favourite" movies.

Seb

Oct 25, 2017
Toulouse
If you watch the original Highlander movie in amazing HD on your FullHD TV, you can see the wires when christophe lambert flies around at the end. It kills the scene.

OP
OP

Deleted member 43657

Banned
May 19, 2018
I should have put a disclaimer that I don't love this movie. Not even sure why I decided to watch it today aside from giving Disney+ a workout.

It's just this one detail broke my brain.

SJRB

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Easy: braces are super cheap in the future because apparantly even slave children can wear them.

Next question.

amoy

Oct 28, 2017
Ronin is a cool ass movie, the chase scenes are awesome, up until the point cars start exploding :/
The poofs of smoke and sparks just cheapens the sequence.

EDIT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pWSLWIp2-Q

I generally don't get bent up about small details though, but I always feel weird when roles get recast in the middle of franchises or established properties. It's not enough to ruin films for me and, for example, I vastly prefer Moira Kelly's Donna Hayward to Lara Flynn Boyle's in Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me, but still. Same with Cheadle and Cuba as Rhodey in the MCU.

You mean Terrence Howard. Do people really get the two confused, I read or watched something years ago describing Terrence as an edgier Cuba, but it never really registered that way to me.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Nottingham, UK
there are like easily a hundred other reasons why Phantom Menace is a bad film and space braces are the thing that hold you up

they have crystal powered energy swords

I generally don't get bent up about small details though, but I always feel weird when roles get recast in the middle of franchises or established properties. It's not enough to ruin films for me and, for example, I vastly prefer Moira Kelly's Donna Hayward to Lara Flynn Boyle's in Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me, but still. Same with Cheadle and Cuba as Rhodey in the MCU.
FYI it's not Cuba Gooding Jr 😬

Edit, beaten by a fraction of a second

Mar 29, 2018
The road was a horrible movie, too many amazing scenes from the book excluded.
Huh? The Road was a very good movie. It reviewed well, was broadly liked by fans, etc.

Of course it's not the masterpiece the novel is. But there's physically no way of making a totally accurate cinematic adaptation that fits 90-120 minutes. It would be hard to make something better than what we got. At least the movie captured the heart of the thing. A TV show would give you more capacity but... who would sit through a TV show of The Road?

The Boy could have looked a bit less healthy... but the acting did pretty well on that front. Shivering, coughing, shock, etc.

Soundscream

Nov 2, 2017
I don't tend to notice small details in movies. My wife does and it's kind of annoying to be honest. She is also incredibly good at spotting all the various continuity errors that inevitably crop up in films; hair clips on different sides, the differing length of lit cigarettes and so on.

I only spot the big details, like the kid in The Road being way too healthy when they're supposed to be starving. The road was a horrible movie, too many amazing scenes from the book excluded.
Look at this robust boy, at least put some makeup on his cheeks to hollow 'em out a bit.

the-road-01-1024x686.jpg
"The road was a horrible movie...."

That's some peak internet commentary here. If you read the book you will almost always find fault in a film adaptation, but this ain't it.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
When you say Cuba do you mean Cuba Gooding Jr.? Rhodey was played by Terrence Howard in Ironman.

Edit: damn mobile

Yes, lol, I had literally just looked it up and told myself I wouldn't get it wrong, but then I typed Cuba instead, even though I had literally told myself seconds before it wasn't Cuba. My bad!

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
At the end of Everything Must Go, in the bathroom mirror, you can see the camera operator's reflection during a long 15-second shot.

The fact that it happens during the film's emotional final scene is the worst part of it. It's not like it happens somewhere in the middle, it's your last impression of the film before it ends.

Oct 27, 2017
Huh? The Road was a very good movie. It reviewed well, was broadly liked by fans, etc.

Of course it's not the masterpiece the novel is. But there's physically no way of making a totally accurate cinematic adaptation that fits 90-120 minutes. It would be hard to make something better than what we got. At least the movie captured the heart of the thing. A TV show would give you more capacity but... who would sit through a TV show of The Road?

The Boy could have looked a bit less healthy... but the acting did pretty well on that front. Shivering, coughing, shock, etc.
"The road was a horrible movie...."

That's some peak internet commentary here. If you read the book you will almost always find fault in a film adaptation, but this ain't it.

Maybe it's worth a rewatch then, see if my opinions have changed. I don't recall at the time feeling that it was a worthy adaptation of the source material, but maybe that's me being unfair and setting an impossible standard as I love the book so much.

Mar 29, 2018
Maybe it's worth a rewatch then, see if my opinions have changed. I don't recall at the time feeling that it was a worthy adaptation of the source material, but maybe that's me being unfair and setting an impossible standard as I love the book so much.
I don't think it's physically possible to accurately adapt a novel like The Road. Many novels definitely can be adapted, but a book like The Road can't. The movie has to be, by definition, "a different thing". The movie trims the plot/structure a little and makes the relationships a little more heartfelt, because you can't represent McCarthy's stoicism on screen without it feeling alien and heartless. And that is a perfectly fine trade-off.

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Friends,

For whatever reason, I decided to watch The Phantom Menace today, and I stumbled upon a tiny detail that completely ruins the movie for me. About a third of the way through the movie, we're introduced to Amee, a childhood friend of Anakin Skywalker, who for some inexplicable reason wears space braces.

According to Wookieepedia, she lives in the slave quarters of Mos Eisley, which further complicates matters. On our planet, braces are generally considered to be a luxury of the wealthy. Braces are not cheap, and the existence of braces on a planet with a lively slave trade, where most people live in abject poverty, where there is no rhyme or reason to daily life, where there are no roads or infrastructure, makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. Where in Tatooine would an orthodontist open up shop? Across from a cantina? Would it be located near the slave camps or somewhere in a hyper-violent bazaar? Are there droid orthodontists? If droid orthodontists exist, why would a space colony invent or invest in such a thing? You may think this is a small oversight that doesn't affect the story, but I vehemently disagree. The space braces on this young lady exist out of time and space, confounding the viewer.

I ask you, dear reader, to share other tiny details in films that ruin the experience.
The fuck is this ?? Poor people still get braces, Parents put themselves in debt to give their kids a better future. lol what planet is OP from

Also wtf can't people just enjoy films, especially with stuff that doesn't matter to the overall product, just go with it.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Deleted member 43657

Banned
May 19, 2018
The initial post was created in jest, and the hope was others would post similar stories about tiny details in movies that bothered them.

I don't quite understand the anger, vitriol, and personal attacks this thread has brought about.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
The initial post was created in jest, and the hope was others would post similar stories about tiny details in movies that bothered them.

I don't quite understand the anger, vitriol, and personal attacks this thread has brought about.
Try not to let it get to you, people whine about threads but they never make content of their own. Easier to just criticize someone else from your high horse.

FusedAtoms

Jul 21, 2018

I think you fucked up by making the example from Star Wars lol

OP
OP

Deleted member 43657

Banned
May 19, 2018
How did you even notice this.
I sorta just had the movie on in the background while I was playing Animal Crossing. I'd peak up every now and again, and then I noticed the braces and it sent my mind reeling.

It reminds me of the time I noticed that one extra in Spartacus wearing a wristwatch. That made me chuckle, but I felt that the space braces weren't just an oversight, it's like deliberately in the film. And when you think about the universe of Star Wars, it just baffles the mind.

Dec 11, 2017
Thanks to high definition I constantly see contact lenses in movies now, from The Hobbit to Pennywise in IT. CG that shit when you do close-ups, Hollywood!

Deleted member 17388

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Quarantine. I'm finding my family being more and more at each others' necks over smaller and smaller things as each day passes.
That would explain the chaos video thread :v

Edit: On topic, extremely white teeth in TV or Movies shows, from the US especially, so distracting :v

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
The space ships in Star Wars make noise when flying and shooting. The laws of physics tell us this is impossible in the vacuum of space.

Also, most of the alien species haven't been verified to even exist.

Lastly, these movies are all terrible.

corasaur

Oct 26, 2017
it's worldbuilding.
the wealthy kids get their teeth realigned in a single day by high-end medical droids with gum-manipulation lasers. we never see it because it's an elegant off-camera procedure that leaves no lasting marks for viewers.

if a slaver hates a slave-kid's teeth? they pay bargain prices to have wires cemented to the teeth that slowly and painfully shove the teeth into place over the course of a year or more.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Every planet in space that supports life is a single specific biome. The desert planet, the ice planet, the forest, the water planet...

Like I get asset creation is a fucking nightmare, and you just sometimes need a shorthand to tell people you're on a different planet. And obviously they're not going to go on a National Geographic trip exploring a single world. But when you see how diverse Earth is, it always feels... eh.

W-00

Oct 27, 2017
If all the water dried up in the 3rd movie, why is there an ocean and an arctic in the 4th and 5th movie?
This one, at least, is really easy. They only meant that the water on land, such as lakes and rivers, dried up. Those dried up because the plants that kept holding onto and recycling the water for the local climates died off, allowing all the water to flow off into the oceans.

Nov 13, 2017
The one shot in Alien of the Alien hugging the dude where the suit looks so freaking fake. The biggest blemish on an otherwise perfect film.