• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
Berkeley, CA
I think I might try Huel. Cheaper and seems to have better nutritional value than Soylent. Do you have to mix it yourself ? Can I just mix it with water? How's the taste? Is there enough solute in a serving so it doesn't taste like just slightly flavored water?

Also, why is Soylent banned in Canada?

LordRuyn

Oct 29, 2017
Honest question. What is the difference between this and a shake with a scoop and a half of unflavored whey, a scoop of powdered oats, a scoop of nutrigreens and some cocoa with a multivitamin pill right after?

Mango Polo

Nov 2, 2017
I think I might try Huel. Cheaper and seems to have better nutritional value than Soylent. Do you have to mix it yourself ? Can I just mix it with water? How's the taste? Is there enough solute in a serving so it doesn't taste like just slightly flavored water?

Huel has various flavors. All of them, except for the unflavored one of course, have a very clear taste profile. There's always that hint of oat though, but it's not a bad thing. You do need to mix the powder with some liquid yes. Can be water, can be milk. Personally I love using a plant milk like almond. You can vary the quantity of liquid to make it thicker/thinner.

Honest question. What is the difference between this and a shake with a scoop and a half of unflavored whey, a scoop of powdered oats, a scoop of nutrigreens and some cocoa with a multivitamin pill right after?

Because if you're aiming at replacing meals quickly and simply then having to fiddle with your own formula defeats the point. But yes, people make their own meal replacements this way.

Sirhc

Hasn't made a thread yet. Shame me.
Oct 27, 2017
Started Soylent last week, has been a good breakfast replacement with fruit as a snack later, thinking of replacing lunch once I run out of leftovers to use.

Cacao powder tastes decent and is surprisingly filling. Hope they do strawberry powder soon to mix it up.

Digital Snake

Oct 25, 2017
I have a Chai Soylent with a Clif Bar everyday for lunch, ordered Strawberry last night and am excited to try it.

I saw Cafe Vanilla and Cacao in the new bottles at my local Kroger's the other day, that was wild. I've yet to see it in public before that.

Oct 25, 2017
I picked up some of the strawberry last week and have been able to have a few and I have to say, I love it. In fact, it's my #2 under cacao now.

Though just to illustrate how different palettes operate, I gave my wife a taste and she had to violently spit it out into the sink. It's crazy to me considering how much I like it, but there you have it. To be fair, she hasn't liked any flavor so far.

robosllim

Banned
Dec 4, 2017
There's been threads in the past on here, but having a single OT would be nice for this stuff. I'm currently using Huel as a dinner replacement and it's not bad if you get the Vanilla version. The unsweetened variety tho has one of the most disgusting flavors I've encountered and I was only able to drink it down by mixing it with unsweetened chocolate almond milk.
I just ordered some unflavored Huel since it looks like a lower carb, slightly higher quality version of Soylent. I finally realized that dinner is probably my shittiest meal of the day, so that's probably where a replacement will have the biggest impact.

Have you tried unflavored Soylent before? I actually like the taste of that, so if Huel is in the same ballpark, I'm hoping the unflavored taste will be fine. Otherwise, I figure I'll start out trying to flavor it with Mio but might have to explore other zero/low calorie options if that doesn't do it.

Mango Polo

Nov 2, 2017
Have you tried unflavored Soylent before? I actually like the taste of that, so if Huel is in the same ballpark, I'm hoping the unflavored taste will be fine. Otherwise, I figure I'll start out trying to flavor it with Mio but might have to explore other zero/low calorie options if that doesn't do it.
I gave away my unflavored Huel because I couldn't stand the extra gritty texture and the taste... honestly not sure how to describe it other than 'seriously awful'. I use a proper blender too, so I don't even want to imagine what the texture is like if you just shake it.

robosllim

Banned
Dec 4, 2017
I gave away my unflavored Huel because I couldn't stand the extra gritty texture and the taste... honestly not sure how to describe it other than 'seriously awful'. I use a proper blender too, so I don't even want to imagine what the texture is like if you just shake it.
Challenge accepted.

But uh... yeah, I guess I'll plan on using a real blender and a shitload of flavoring when the blender bottle and flavor squirts fail to mask the taste.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
I always start my morning with Coffiest as my only breakfast food, I've been doing that ever since they released Coffiest in the first place. Until now that's been all I use Soylent for, a quick predicatable breakfast that takes zero prep time. I got the new Strawberry flavor to try it out, not bad - I'm thinking of replacing part (most) of my dinner with one of those.

This has been formulated to meet dietary needs without having excess sugar, along with having a very predictable calorie amount. Sure you can try and mix together your own, but it's not likely to fill every need unless you are consulting with a nutritionist.

Oct 28, 2017
Siloam Springs
Q: What about the enjoyment, taste, and social aspect of eating food?
A: Just bring a bottle of soylent to the restaurant, you piece of shit! You can keep your "i'll stick with real food" hot takes out of the thread, no one cares. I like real food too, but this thread isn't about how nutritious and cheap your gross salad is.

Oh man BURN!

I'm considering Soylent as a breakfast replacement.

So, clearly I'm new and know literally nothing about it.

Oct 25, 2017
Oh man BURN!

I'm considering Soylent as a breakfast replacement.

So, clearly I'm new and know literally nothing about it.

Replacing one meal a day with a soylent seems to be the way to go for most people. I tend to want something more solid first thing, but whatever works for you. Remember that everyone likes different flavors and very few people enjoy them all. You just have to keep trying them until you hopefully find a couple you enjoy. Cacao is the safest bet for most.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I just ordered some unflavored Huel since it looks like a lower carb, slightly higher quality version of Soylent. I finally realized that dinner is probably my shittiest meal of the day, so that's probably where a replacement will have the biggest impact.

No, haven't tried any variant if Soylent even though people rave about it. I'm familiar with the taste of the vanilla Huel though as it tastes similar to a less sweet quest bar. The liquid is about the right thickness too. I just didn't like the unsweetened variety.

Igorth

Nov 13, 2017
What is the nutritional value of this kind of product? We don't have this brand here in Spain.

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I tried Soylent once a few years ago. I took a sip of the original flavor and thought its flavor was the closest thing to a generic flavor imaginable. I didn't hate it though!
Was curious about it but never really thought about it seriously.

So when this thread surfaced yesterday I thought "hmmmm maybe"
Then I talked with some friends who drink it and thought "hmmmmmmmm maybe"
Then I saw there was a Strawberry flavor and thought "hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm maybe"
Then I saw it was free day shipping on Amazon and decided "why not"

So I took the plunge. I really like artificial strawberry flavors, so maybe I'll like this! Or not mind it as I get in the habit of trying it hehehehe

A little anxious since there isn't a "try 1" and I have to make a 12 order commitment, though.

Really into this as a way to cut down on spending money on eating out, something to quick to eat for breakfast, and for when I forget to cook lunch the night before.

Walter White

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I tried the Coffiest one today. First time trying Soylent. It wasn't bad. The first taste was kind of off putting, as I guess I didn't know what to expect, but overall it wasn't bad. I could definitely see myself replacing my lunches with this. I'd love to try and lose some of this belly fat and I can see this as an easy way to manage some calories.

GrooveCommand

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Anyone else baffled by how terrible Soylent's bottle design is? Their first iteration was terrible because of all the ridiculous anti-tamper plastic wrapped around the cap and then you had a little tab to pull off underneath the cap.

With the new bottle, they've fixed the anti-tamper stuff that was annoying but now they have another problem! The god damn label they put around the bottle isn't affixed to the bottle so when you try and unscrew the cap the bottle just slides around while the label stays in place.

I mean Jesus Christ it's a plastic bottle not rocket science, get your shit together Soylent!

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Soylent will hopefully eventually be sold in a more eco-friendly packaging:/

Ideally it would be served in powder format only.

One thing I really believe in is that, people who eat « only » soylent or similar meal replacements can spend the saved money ( no kitchen and kitchen ware, no dining room, lower electricity bill, not spending time cooking) on eating out in quality restaurants more regularly.

Last edited:

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
I know the strawberry flavor order I received this month was in rectangular bottles versus the taller circular bottles it first came in. Also, a vanilla flavor is coming.

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Any good Soylent alternatives in Canada yet?

Particularly low carb? Why the fuck are protein shakes always so filled with sugar, sigh... Do they not understand that their target audience is adults?

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

Particularly low carb? Why the fuck are protein shakes always so filled with sugar, sigh... Do they not understand that their target audience is adults?
Is Ample available there? It's pretty low carb.

00000_PORTRAIT_00000_BURST20181004100523971.jpg

Deleted member 14887

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just received my first package of vanilla huel. I like it much more than I did Soylent or another one that I don't think is around anymore. I like the oaty after taste of it. I showed my dietician the nutrition label for it and she gave it a thumbs up. This is going to make things much easier now I don't have to spend time making lunch to take to work and can focus on meal prepping for dinner and breakfast.

JustinP

Oct 25, 2017
It's been great because it's hard to find easy safe foods that doesn't upset my crohns. I'm not 100% though — I eat traditional food too.

The taste really grows on you but it's not great at first.

Is Ample available there? It's pretty low carb.
That looks like it doesn't come close to matching micronutrients of soylent. That's more like a protein shake.

Last edited:

Adam_Roman

Oct 25, 2017
I've been wanting to try Soylent for so long but never felt confident enough that I'd like it to buy a 12 pack. I just learned now though that my local Target sells them, so I may pick up one of each flavor and give them a try. I'd love if I could just drink one of those at work instead of prepping a lunch.

Owarifin

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
How many can I use a day if I'm hungry?
Would 1 a day be too little?

Would just eating it for breakfast be fine?

What's the price?
Is this in a price range that could be given to the starving,
or is it currently just a 1st world thing?

Sorry for so many questions, but seems there's a bunch of people that know the product here.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
How many can I use a day if I'm hungry?
Would 1 a day be too little?

Would just eating it for breakfast be fine?

What's the price?
Is this in a price range that could be given to the starving,
or is it currently just a 1st world thing?

Sorry for so many questions, but seems there's a bunch of people that know the product here.
There 400 calories per bottle, so you have as many as you need to meet your daily caloric needs.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why did they choose "Soylent?"
MV5BMjMwNDM0ZDUtZWE1OS00MWI1LTgxZDAtNTAzYjExZGI0MjdlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_UY1200_CR68,0,630,1200_AL_.jpg

Literally all i can think of when I hear it. Really weird that they'd be fine with that association.

Adam_Roman

Oct 25, 2017
I absolutely love the Cafe Vanilla ones! I just brought one to work for my lunch and it's crazy how good it tastes.

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia

I'm waiting for Huel, but I'm amazed a home grown Canadian company hadn't stepped in to fill the gap. It sounds like the issue is simply with calling the product a meal replacement. Change the language; sell me this shit!

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
I'm about 2 weeks in now. I have one every morning for breakfast, and depending on when my wife works, and how motivated I am I have a second one for dinner (and make something quick for my kids dinner). Outside of these for breakfast, I mostly follow a low carb diet. I say that, but it's more about keeping fairly strict control of my calories, but in cases where I can't I fall back on things I know are low carb. I don't have a medical reason to truly be low carb so yeah... Goal is to maintain sub-2000 calories and/or sub 50 carbs.

Wasn't a fan of cafe vanilla soylent, no surprise since I'm not a fan of coffee, that said the caocao one is very palettable aside from a slight grit and aftertaste. In all honestly I'd be up for switching purely to soylent, but it's just not realistic... The wife wants no part, and I'm not going to subject my kids to an all liquid diet. Still, it's not super hard to make most meals and just replace things like noodles or rice with zoodles or riced cauliflower.

Laserdisk

Banned
May 11, 2018
UK
Got my first Huel UK delivery on Saturday and started propperly today.
I had one shake (vanilla) for lunch on Saturday and one with a teaspoon of powdered coffee for breakfast yesterday.
Today is the real test, same for breakfast today, and I have a berry one on the fridge for lunch at work.
Any top tips or flavour ideas? I got some of the flavour tester samples bu have not used any yet.
I am monitoring my cal intake via the my fitness pal app and want to hit under 1800 a day ideally.

Tortfeasor

Oct 28, 2017
Chicago
I just started on the ready to drink Huel and it has been fantastic. I like it much better than Soylant and now I am not getting all that soy in my diet. The only negative is that Huel seems to make me very gassy. Other than that I like it and honestly it is much tastier compared to the ready to drink soylent.

Before anyone asks why I don't use the powders, I just don't have the time. I'm looking for a convenient grab and go when I don't have the time to eat a meal.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
Got my first Huel UK delivery on Saturday and started propperly today.
I had one shake (vanilla) for lunch on Saturday and one with a teaspoon of powdered coffee for breakfast yesterday.
Today is the real test, same for breakfast today, and I have a berry one on the fridge for lunch at work.
Any top tips or flavour ideas? I got some of the flavour tester samples bu have not used any yet.
I am monitoring my cal intake via the my fitness pal app and want to hit under 1800 a day ideally.
I'm guzzling a ton of Huel while I'm trying to lose weight. I say trying, I'm actually succeeding beyond my expectations. 1500 cal daily, mostly Huel.

I make shakes with 4 scoops in a full shaker. It's the perfect consistency for me, and it's 600 calories. I have a couple of those each day. I also got the Huel granola which is nice when I fancy something to chew on. I have that with Oatly instead of cows' milk because I thought, if I'm already 90% vegan, I might as well go all the way and gain the aura of smugness. I always put it in the fridge for a few hours, which seems to make it smoother.

With Berry Huel you might find it doesn't mix properly if you just shake. The other flavours mix way better. Not sure what's in the Berry flavour to make it more lumpy, but if you have a blender ball throw that in and it'll mix better.

I think all the flavours are too sweet. Next time I order I'm gonna get a couple of bags of unsweetened and mix it 50/50 with the flavoured stuff. I've tried the bars and they're nice, but way too expensive for me.

Laserdisk

Banned
May 11, 2018
UK
I'm guzzling a ton of Huel while I'm trying to lose weight. I say trying, I'm actually succeeding beyond my expectations. 1500 cal daily, mostly Huel.

I make shakes with 4 scoops in a full shaker. It's the perfect consistency for me, and it's 600 calories. I have a couple of those each day. I also got the Huel granola which is nice when I fancy something to chew on. I have that with Oatly instead of cows' milk because I thought, if I'm already 90% vegan, I might as well go all the way and gain the aura of smugness. I always put it in the fridge for a few hours, which seems to make it smoother.

With Berry Huel you might find it doesn't mix properly if you just shake. The other flavours mix way better. Not sure what's in the Berry flavour to make it more lumpy, but if you have a blender ball throw that in and it'll mix better.

I think all the flavours are too sweet. Next time I order I'm gonna get a couple of bags of unsweetened and mix it 50/50 with the flavoured stuff. I've tried the bars and they're nice, but way too expensive for me.
Thanks for the info.
I am doing 3/2.5 scoops with water I will update on what the berry is like after I have lunch.
I do have mixer balls so will pop those in if it has not mixed well.

EDIT
Did not notice any lumps in it, the slimy texture from the vanilla is there and will take some getting used to but its not unpleasant.

Last edited:

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So which of these types of drinks is best, in terms of satiating your appetite? I was thinking of seeing how far I can go with shakes for breakfast and lunch, maybe with fruits & vegetables to snack on in between.

Which of these is best if you're looking to avoid sugar?

Spaltazar

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I just drink this for Breakfast as I usually have very little time in the morning. kinda expensive, but because i only use it for 1 meal a day it lasts for a bit. some people hate the taste but i absolutely love it. 1 meal is about 1/3 of your dailie needs. its in powder form and you can easily mix it with water and a little bit of rape oil. pretty simple. the reason i like it is because it stays relatively liquid compared to some other shakes that i tried. its easy to drink quickly in the morning

Almased-Dietary-Supplement-for-Weight-Management-688449258727.jpg

Last edited:

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
I've only tried Soylent, but I like it as a breakfast drink (especially Cafe Mocha with its caffeine kick), it definitely satiates my appetite. I've been drinking bottles of Soylent for breakfast daily for a couple years now. Note, this one has 9 grams of sugar per 400 calorie bottle, and of course your experience may vary, some people have stomach issues with Soylent.

Steven

Oct 27, 2017
Tried Soylent for the first time a month ago and have since been half-living off the stuff. I use it to replace at least one meal a day - typically lunch - and it's so easy. Cacao is absolutely delicious; like a smooth chocolate milk with a slightly nutty aftertaste. I've now subscribed and get 12 bottles delivered every 2 weeks. Compared to a typical lunch which would cost $6-8, a Soylent RTD is more often healthier and half the cost.

I'll be using it for at least the next 3 months while I cut this extra weight off.