• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

99humanity

Oct 25, 2017
I am a big fan of Soylent, primarily as a breakfast replacement, but honestly any meal.

Q: What is Soylent?
A: Soylent is a meal replacement sludge that contains 69% of your dailies.

It comes in several flavors:
Original
Cacao
Nectar (Removed from market due to tasting like WetJet refill liquid)
Strawberry (Coming Soon)
Cafe Coffiest
Cafe Vanilla
Cafe Chai

To anyone interested in trying this I would suggest the Coffiest one, as it really is an amazing breakfast+coffee replacement. Personally I think regular soylent is the best one.

Q: Doesn't this give you diarrhea?
A: No. It's actually much more likely to make your healthy poops smell like cereal.

Q: What about the enjoyment, taste, and social aspect of eating food?
A: Just bring a bottle of soylent to the restaurant, you piece of shit! You can keep your "i'll stick with real food" hot takes out of the thread, no one cares. I like real food too, but this thread isn't about how nutritious and cheap your gross salad is.

So who drinks soylent or uses other meal replacements? It's pretty perfect for me - I have a problem with appetite (I don't have one), I hate cooking, and I eat poorly. It stops me from ordering from the diner at 3 in the morning.

raangz

Oct 30, 2017
fuck yeah! been waiting for this OT. I'm also a gay soyboy.

Chai is actually best in class flavor, but less caffeine than the other Cafe varieties (i think it's 1/5th the caffeine? Same as a tea -> coffee ratio).

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah I really am sick of people harping on about wanting to eat actual food.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I was on Soylent for a while. My wife actually just picked up something called Ample. It's supposed to be as good.

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
I remember buying a weeks worth years ago when they had just started production. I wasn't a big fan of the original taste but I'd really like to try some of the newer ones.

Luchashaq

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
I wish more of these had a million times less sugar.

I often just have one giant shake in a day but it's a bunch of protein powder and greens powder.

I've yet to see one of these not be loaded with sugar (or fake sugar), and they really shouldn't be.

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017
Ah, so this is the soyboy cuck thread! /s

In all seriousness, what does it taste like? My partner and me would like to try it but we're in the UK and as far as we know it's not available over here.

joecanada

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
I had to look this up in another thread but I'm pretty sure if I remember correctly it could easily be made better quite easily at home. As with most meal replacement you're paying for convenience

Pokiehl

Oct 29, 2017
I'm with you OP, this is best for me in the morning. Such as time saver. I want to eventually move to twice a day but I'm not there yet.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
I always wanted to try it with my normal food. Because I have to eat a billion calories but I'm always forgetting to eat lol.

Lord Fagan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I got a subscription to Cacao Soylent. Don't drink it to completely replace food, but it's very handy and I was surprised how good it tastes.

OP
OP
99humanity

99humanity

Oct 25, 2017
I was on Soylent for a while. My wife actually just picked up something called Ample. It's supposed to be as good.
Never heard of this one! It looks a little more expensive than Soylent. I'd try this if they had individual bottles in stores

I remember buying a weeks worth years ago when they had just started production. I wasn't a big fan of the original taste but I'd really like to try some of the newer ones.
The bottles taste better than the original powder, but original is still a pretty plain flavor. Cacao is pretty analogous to other chocolate flavored protein drinks

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Ah, when did they announce Strawberry? Was looking forward to their new flavor - fruity has always appealed to me more than chocolatey. I do really enjoy the Cacao, though, so if it's on par flavor-wise I think it'll be my new flavor of choice.

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017
Someone from the old place said it tastes like "oatmeal juice." I agree.

Similar to this, then?

IDShot_540x540.jpg

electristan

Oct 25, 2017
Norway
Have been using Mana for about 7 months now mostly as a way to control portion sizes and calories easily, and have dropped 10 kg. Basically having it for every meal.

Not a very exciting food, but very happy with the results, and dont feel bad when I do "cheat" and omg does food tast so food when you do finally have some :D

OP
OP
99humanity

99humanity

Oct 25, 2017
I had to look this up in another thread but I'm pretty sure if I remember correctly it could easily be made better quite easily at home. As with most meal replacement you're paying for convenience
I'm not really sure how I would go about making my own soylent, but I'm sure you can beat its nutrition/calorie -> price ratio! It's definitely about the convenience. But it's also only around 3 or 4 dollars a bottle when you have a subscription. That's not too bad

Someone from the old place said it tastes like "oatmeal juice." I agree.
Yeah I think oatmeal milk is a pretty good descriptor. It's slightly sweeter than some might think.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
There's been threads in the past on here, but having a single OT would be nice for this stuff. I'm currently using Huel as a dinner replacement and it's not bad if you get the Vanilla version. The unsweetened variety tho has one of the most disgusting flavors I've encountered and I was only able to drink it down by mixing it with unsweetened chocolate almond milk.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
I like Huel. It's a powder and you can make shakes with it or use it as a powder for baking. I love the taste and eat it almost every day. It's the cheapest balanced macros for me to bulk, but I like it as meal replacement too!

Sweetened with artificial sugar, of course. I'm not about that flavorless shit.

raangz

Oct 30, 2017
Can't wait to hear those Strawberry first impressions :)

I actually really did like Nectar.... I also kind of like the taste of cleaning supplies too though (weird i know)

neon_dream

Dec 18, 2017

That's my problem with Soylent. I remember tripping out on how many carbs one small bottle had. It was like 35g+ carbs.

I'd rather just buy some Isopure and mix it up with Fairlife/water. There you have your 30-35g protein, 200 cals, minimal (less than 10g) carbs.

flkRaven

Oct 25, 2017
My wife is into these. I was going to try them until I found out how many carbohydrates are in a single drink. Shocking considering it is only partially from sugar.

manhack

Oct 27, 2017

I often just have one giant shake in a day but it's a bunch of protein powder and greens powder.

I've yet to see one of these not be loaded with sugar (or fake sugar), and they really shouldn't be.

Yeah, if they made a low carb/low sugar version I'd be all over it. Meal replacements are great to keep around the office and to grab when you don't feel like making anything.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, if they made a low carb/low sugar version I'd be all over it. Meal replacements are great to keep around the office and to grab when you don't feel like making anything.

Huel has a very low sugar vanilla flavor sweetened with sucralose I believe. It has significant complex carbs, however, because a balanced normal diet would include complex carbs.

cervanky

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I tried the bottled cacao Soylent for a couple months a while ago but it's not available in Canada anymore because of regulatory issues.

I don't mind the taste and I treated it like a supplement to my regular diet that might fill any occasional gaps in getting my daily nutritional needs met - I wouldn't necessarily replace a meal with it, unless I was seriously pressed for time.

If it returned to Canada I would buy it.

Last edited:

LOLDSFAN

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I hate eating food.

Wish I could just take a pill everyday and be done with it. :(

I've considered doing things like Soylent but I hear it's not a 100% replacement in the long run.

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
Ah, when did they announce Strawberry? Was looking forward to their new flavor - fruity has always appealed to me more than chocolatey. I do really enjoy the Cacao, though, so if it's on par flavor-wise I think it'll be my new flavor of choice.
They have been teasing it on the subreddit for a few months. Today an email was sent out announcing pre-orders for it.

Mipmap

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
I legit like the taste of the Coffiest ones. It's a great breakfast substitute when you're in a rush.

Rabbit Clock

Oct 25, 2017
I bought a ton of this with the intention of never eating real food again. It tastes surprisingly ok. I fell off hard though because making it is too time consuming. I have like 12 packs left that I'll probably never use. =\

Allforce

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If they could get this down to like a buck a bottle for bulk purchases I'd seriously consider doing it full time and seeing what it does to me.

Anyone gone Full Soylent for like 6 months? Just no solid food whatsoever?

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Vanilla Cafe is my jam. I drink about 20-25 a month, usually in the morning.

Mango Polo

Nov 2, 2017
I've been using Huel on and off for years. Pretty nice powder, like someone mentioned earlier, which makes it fairly versatile.

The macros in particular are pretty nice. I recently got bags of the new vanilla and coffee flavours. The coffee one is pretty good! Huel + plant milk is my go to for lazy days.

At the end of July I'm getting some dental surgery and I'll be on a liquid food diet, so already being acquainted with liquid meal replacements is nice.

I also picked up some Mana, both in bottle and mix-it-yourself formats. The bottles are... pretty meh. Bland, oaty taste that badly needs some flavor.

args

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah I tried eating Soylent for a few months for lunch and it didn't work out. So much more gratifying to spend ten minutes making a quick meal that tastes a million times and satisfies my hunger for a longer period of time.

Diego Renault

Nov 1, 2017
I always wondered what soylent is.

According to WIkipedia it's made of:

Water
, maltodextrin, soy protein isolate, high-oleic algal oil, isomaltulose, canola oil, rice starch, and oat fiber

Alright, so, that's not really special. As a male, I'd rather not consume soy products, since soy is said to have ostrogen-like effect on the body. Starch and fiber you can isn't that special either.

As a meal replacement, I'd rather have the following as a shake: 1 scoop of a good, no-denaturated hormone free whey protein isoate, 1 or half a banana + apple or a cup of berries, 1 teaspoon of chia seeds or flex seeds, 1 teaspoon of ceylon cinnamon, and maybe 2 or 3 tablespoons of solutable oats and then plain water.

I think that's way better than soylent.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oat_fiber

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I still haven't tried the stuff even if I am 100% in favor of the idea as I think it could be a significant benefit to the environmental over the long term, but not in its current form, since I don't believe in a liquid-based format, especially not in plastic bottles.

But I really see a future where the average house no longer had a kitchen, and where time spent cooking or eating is never boring, a waste of time, or routine. You might only eat traditional food on the weekend for example, but since so much time and money would be saved on food the rest of the week it would always be the best experience.

Heck, with more convenient delivery thanks to drones and automated cars, even the fanciest restaurant will do delivery, so you can enjoy their food without fighting for a place downtown, right in your backyard with your friends or family.

People would save so much on appliances, electricity, kitchen ware, housing space, time.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Sorry! I just heard about the strawberry flavor and had the thought that I've never seen a thread about it on RE. Should have searched

I'd love to try comp gummies, wish they were available in the US
Just kidding of course lol.

Comp is ok but a bit pricey. Gummies are good to chew on for a while and keep you occupied but maybe too sugary to be a meal replacement. A gummy meal replacement would be nice though.

MajorBritten

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Im drinking only comp to try and lose weight, but after about 3 days I just get major headaches and end up eating food again. Comp is ok but its pricey, the delivery times suck, theres only one flavor and their new and improved version is actually worse than the previous one. Unfortunately soylent isn't available at all in Japan, the price of postage makes Jimmy Joy more expensive than Comp. Sadly, in Japan comp is really the only option for meal replacement drinks :(