• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

discotheque

Dec 23, 2019
The new Creamy Chocolate mix (that replaced Cacao) is fucking amazing, it tastes exactly like high quality chocolate milk.

Ottaro

Oct 25, 2017
Oh wow, the new formula has only 1G of sugar. It's been a while since I've drank soylent and the 9G of sugar was one of my complaints. I'm curious to try it again.

Steven

Oct 27, 2017
as I mentioned, I was new to Soylent and it just so happened that they put out their new Optimized version. I was excited to try so I bought Vanilla, Banana, and Creamy Chocolate. Here's my review

Just tried Soylent Optimized Banana, Vanilla, and Creamy Chocolate

**Context**: I started drinking Soylent about a month and a half ago. I use RTD's to replace 50-75% of my daily calories on a given day. I usually have it for lunch and sometimes for a pre-dinner snack as well.

I primarily drink Cacao and Mint Chocolate. 70/30 Split. I've tried every single RTD flavor. The only ones I really liked were Cacao and Mint Chocolate. I could tolerate Cafe Vanilla, Vanilla, and Cafe Mocha, but thought they either had too weird of an aftertaste or were too bitter. I definitely didn't like them enough to replace meals with them. The other flavors all ranged from "meh, don't like" to "oh my god this is disgusting". I really wanted to like the Vanilla to balance out my Cacao and Mint Chocolate consumption (from a flavor perspective)...but I just couldn't enjoy it.

So, I was pretty excited to try Optimized when it came in this morning. I drink my RTDs cold all the time, no exceptions. I tried about 100 mL of each bottle with some water and 20 minutes in-between so I could appreciate the flavor.

**Vanilla**: By god, they fixed it. The mad men & women fucking fixed it. I actually went back and drank more than intended because it was so good. It's really hard to describe *why* it's better, but it has a great blend of sweetness and vanilla flavor without having any aftertaste - aftertaste was one of the biggest reasons I didn't like the 2.0 Vanilla. Still has a smooth texture. **9/10**

**Banana**: This one smells delightful and tastes great. I was really happy that this was good. It has an almost kind of maply aftertaste, but it's not a bad aftertaste at all. ~~I want to see how I feel when I try a full bottle of it, my only worry is that I'll feel it's too sweet if I drink the whole thing. But other than that worry which I'll solve tomorrow when I drink the whole thing, this is fantastic. **8.5/10**~~ **UPDATE**: Just had a whole bottle for lunch. My fear was unfounded. This was better the more I drank! Upgraded to a **9.5/10**.

**Creamy Chocolate**: This one was weird for me. Not in the sense that I didn't like it. I actually loved it. It was weird because I had just had a Cacao for lunch, and as mentioned Cacao is my favorite and what I'd mostly been drinking...but this is...better? I'm not sure what to think. It's REALLY good. It has a stronger chocolate flavor than Cacao, and it doesn't have the chalky aftertaste I got with Cacao. I don't know if I'll go back to drinking Cacao...but I have 6 bottles of it still so I guess I will. **10/10**

**Bonus**: Creamy Chocolate & Banana Mixed together: This was godlike. If it weren't inconvenient to have to open two bottles, I'd do it more often. **11/10**

**Takeaway**: This formula is amazing. Most of all, the aftertaste effect seems to have been minimized greatly. Good job, Soylent team. I now want to try Mint Chocolate and Strawberry in the new formula.

discotheque

Dec 23, 2019
Oh wow, the new formula has only 1G of sugar. It's been a while since I've drank soylent and the 9G of sugar was one of my complaints. I'm curious to try it again.
They seriously must be doing some dark magic to achieve that reduction, Creamy Chocolate tastes way more chocolatey than Cacao.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I spent some time eating Huel and really liked it. I should probably get back to it and come up with some recipes to differentiate the taste, which I did get bored with. I really liked the chocolate one with a banana blended in.

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
Is this stuff healthy to replace 2 of my meals every day long term? Are there other brands I should consider like Huel?

Oct 25, 2017
as I mentioned, I was new to Soylent and it just so happened that they put out their new Optimized version. I was excited to try so I bought Vanilla, Banana, and Creamy Chocolate. Here's my review

Oh man, your vanilla review gets me excited. It's the flavor I've been wanting to be good but could only sort of stomach of the original group. I guess I need to buy a case of all of them now.

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
One serving is 400 calories and 20% of pretty much everything you need based on a 2000 calorie diet.

Do you or anyone else know how comparable this is satiety-wise to eating a Healthy Choice (or similar-type) meal that's around a similar number of calories? I know the nutrition would vary from HC meal to HC meal, but does it provide a similar or better sense of hunger relief?

I've been eating 400 calorie or so frozen lunches and cooking higher calorie dinners (often stuff like fish, sweet potatoes, greens, etc) as of late, but if this provides a better sense of satisfaction compared to frozen lunches, I may give it a shot.

Exagenous

Jan 3, 2018
There used to be some milk flavoring drops similar to a mio type of thing that was really good with soylent. But I can't find it anymore. The only thing that I can find are milk magic straws and they suck. Anybody have any suggestions for flavoring?

Nox

Dec 23, 2017
Oh man , I used to love Soylent. Was a great stopgap when I didn't have enough time to eat between lab and classes. Shame it isn't being shipped to Canada anymore.

Does anyone know any good alternatives to soylent that ship to Canada besides Runtime ? It's good but it's a tad expensive to ship

SpillYerBeans

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't tried any of the bars actually but I can say that huel has grown on me. They also haven't been a month and a half late like soylent

I am going to give Huel a shot. Nice of them to give out a free shirt and shaker for your first purchase. Going for the powder first and if I enjoy it I am going to try the bars.

B4mv

Nov 2, 2017
The Huel bars consistency just wasn't for me at all. I like the drink though. I use Soylent/Huel as a lunch replacement pretty often. I did it full time for a month maybe 2 years ago, but that wasn't for me.

Steven

Oct 27, 2017
Oh man , I used to love Soylent. Was a great stopgap when I didn't have enough time to eat between lab and classes. Shame it isn't being shipped to Canada anymore.

Does anyone know any good alternatives to soylent that ship to Canada besides Runtime ? It's good but it's a tad expensive to ship
They started shipping to Canada again. They announced it like a month ago.

Why not just drink an Ensure?
Nutritional content. Especially related to sugars.

One bottle of chocolate Ensure has 220 calories with 14g of added sugars. To get the same 400 calories that Soylent has, that means you'd be consuming 25g of added sugar. If you're going to go with a meal replacement type of schedule, if you had 4 bottles of ensure for 880 calories vs 2 bottles of Soylent for 800 calories, you'd be consuming roughly 50g of added sugar vs 2g of added sugar for Soylent.

Oh man, your vanilla review gets me excited. It's the flavor I've been wanting to be good but could only sort of stomach of the original group. I guess I need to buy a case of all of them now.
The new vanilla really impressed me. Today for lunch I mixed creamy chocolate and vanilla and it was excellent.

If you want to see how optimized has changed, their variety pack has 3 flavors, 4 of chocolate, vanilla, and strawberry...on their website. I hated Strawberry 2.0 but haven't tried Strawberry Optimized.

Last edited:

Calvinien

Banned
Jul 13, 2019
Has anyone ever dumped black coffee into a vanilla meal replacement shake? Surprisingly great. The shake replaces the milk and sweetner. And the combination of protein and caffein wakes you up like a slap in the face.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is Huel still the best choice for people that want a low-sugar powder based drink?

The Optimized Soylent sounds great, but is still pretty expensive compared to the powders.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Started drinking this again after gaining a bunch of weight during quarantine. Went to order some more and I see that they now offer a giant drum of it. Nice!
But... sold out, and seemingly won't be restocked. wtf?

Nox

Dec 23, 2017
They started shipping to Canada again. They announced it like a month ago.

Nutritional content. Especially related to sugars.

One bottle of chocolate Ensure has 220 calories with 14g of added sugars. To get the same 400 calories that Soylent has, that means you'd be consuming 25g of added sugar. If you're going to go with a meal replacement type of schedule, if you had 4 bottles of ensure for 880 calories vs 2 bottles of Soylent for 800 calories, you'd be consuming roughly 50g of added sugar vs 2g of added sugar for Soylent.

The new vanilla really impressed me. Today for lunch I mixed creamy chocolate and vanilla and it was excellent.

If you want to see how optimized has changed, their variety pack has 3 flavors, 4 of chocolate, vanilla, and strawberry...on their website. I hated Strawberry 2.0 but haven't tried Strawberry Optimized.
Wait what ? That just made my day !

Deleted member 69573

User requested account closure
Banned
May 17, 2020
Melbourne, Australia
Been on and off for a couple years and its great for meal replacements or if money is tight. ~$4 (after discounts) for a relatively nutritious meal and feeling full is damn good value. Recently bought about 50 meals worth which will last me a good 3 months or so.

Some days I can drink one and be good until dinner too if I just snack on a bit of fruit for lunch.

I get an Australian brand called Aussielent. They're local to my state so they ship ridiculously fast to me as well. Only thing I don't like is the amount of plastic it produces when buying the bottles, would love it if they offered for me to return the bottles to them for reuse.

Last edited:

Jindrax

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Hmmm I just got a Plenny Drink. I drank half of the little 33cl carton. Shit made me bloated and dizzy. Horrendous taste, sort of like drinking actual paint.

Is there any of these things that genuinely tastes nice? Not like the least gross but actually nice? I might just give up on this idea as I feel sick to the stomach from the damn Plenny drink.

Cream Stout

Oct 28, 2017
I got an 18 pack of the Atkins milk chocolate protein shakes and those actually taste really good to me. Have been using those for my breakfast and I'm usually not even that hungry when lunch rolls around anymore

Rassilon

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Just started with Huel. It's pretty good.

I'm underweight and am hoping to combine it with my usual diet to increase daily caloric intake etc

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I got a question for you folks: could I use Huel ready to drink for breakfast and lunch and eat normally for diner when at home or at a restaurant?

SpillYerBeans

Oct 25, 2017
Hmmm I just got a Plenny Drink. I drank half of the little 33cl carton. Shit made me bloated and dizzy. Horrendous taste, sort of like drinking actual paint.

Is there any of these things that genuinely tastes nice? Not like the least gross but actually nice? I might just give up on this idea as I feel sick to the stomach from the damn Plenny drink.

I have only tried Soylent Original, Strawberry, Chocolate, Huel Vanilla, and Huel Chocolate. Soylent Chocolate was the best, tasted like chocolate milk, I love it so much I even had it for dessert some times.

I got a question for you folks: could I use Huel ready to drink for breakfast and lunch and eat normally for diner when at home or at a restaurant?

This is what I do on my busiest of days.

nujabeans

Dec 2, 2017

I really liked Jimmy Joy much more than Huel. I liked the smoother texture, whereas Huel is much thicker and harder to get down. I ended up having to let the Huel in the fridge overnight, which does make it a lot more smoother. I think I will subscribe to Jimmy Joy going forward.

SpillYerBeans

Oct 25, 2017
I really liked Jimmy Joy much more than Huel. I liked the smoother texture, whereas Huel is much thicker and harder to get down. I ended up having to let the Huel in the fridge overnight, which does make it a lot more smoother. I think I will subscribe to Jimmy Joy going forward.

I just started drinking Huel yesterday and I added more liquid to make it smoother, worked out well enough. I do say though, the blender bottle they give you is terrible and I have had to rely on blending my mix in a blender because there was a ton of chunks from just using the bottle.

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
Got two bags of Huel Black, one chocolate and one vanilla. The chocolate tastes okay to me, basically vaguely chocolate flavored cardboard, but the vanilla is repugnant. Terrible aftertaste with every gulp. I ordered a sample of flavor boosters so I'll give those a try for improving the vanilla. I don't know if I'll finish the bag without modifying it somehow.

This stuff does a good job at making me feel full, though, and I feel like I have more energy throughout the day. I've mostly been eating garbage for the past four months

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So this is not available in Canada?

EDIT: it is. However, after checking their website, they only have two flavors? What's the reasoning behind not offering the same selection as in the US? Also, can anyone tell me if the Canadian chocolate flavor is the same as the new creamy chocolate flavor that's available in the US?

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
So this is not available in Canada?

EDIT: it is. However, after checking their website, they only have two flavors? What's the reasoning behind not offering the same selection as in the US? Also, can anyone tell me if the Canadian chocolate flavor is the same as the new creamy chocolate flavor that's available in the US?
Each product has to go through an individual approval process so my guess is they did not want to wait to get them all approved:
www.soylent.ca

Canada Q&A

Your questions and feedback have really helped us. I have pulled together some of the top questions we have gotten over the past week.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Each product has to go through an individual approval process so my guess is they did not want to wait to get them all approved:
www.soylent.ca

Canada Q&A

Your questions and feedback have really helped us. I have pulled together some of the top questions we have gotten over the past week.
Alright, thanks. I'll keep an eye out for the newer formulas.

Lionel Mandrake

Prophetic Lionel Mandrake
Oct 26, 2017
I was surprised to see individual bottles of this for sell at my local grocery. I picked up Vanilla and Strawberry to try out. I often don't have much appetite after just waking up, so this could be a good breakfast alternative for me.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I got an ad email
Have you gained the COVID 19?

I'm like what, soylent is selling vaccines or something?

Is the "COVID 19" lbs of weight gain a marketing term now.

Fucking disgusting.

iz7SRqo.jpg

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Trying to lose some weight cuz of the psychological effect of my BMI labeling me as obese. lol

Have gone a few weeks with the chocolate lover's pack and the flavors are all pretty good and it helps me count calories. Mint chocolate is pretty much what you'd expect out of like a mint chocolate chip ice cream shake. Creamy chocolate reminds of the leftover milk you'd have if you just had a bowl of cocoa pebble or other chocolate cereal. The other one is just a blander mocca flavor. Ordered a case of Strawberry as well but I'm not liking that flavor as much.

Anyone try banana?

Bearwolf

Oct 27, 2017
I'm considering these for a breakfast replacement. What is the best flavor with little to no aftertaste?

Bearwolf

Oct 27, 2017
Mint chocolate has been my fav. You could maybe pay a little more for a sampler for a first order to see which ones you like or if you even like it at all.

Hmm I like mint sometimes, but can't see myself drinking it everyday unless it's mind-blowing. Variety pack is a good suggestion, I'll try that.