• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sovereign or Harbinger

• Sovereign

Votes: 421 85.1%
  • Harbinger

Votes: 74 14.9%

• Total voters

astro

Oct 25, 2017
If you had to choose... which of the Reaper antagonists was better? Which had the best presence and moments? Why?

S O V E R E I G N
ZiurhC.jpg

H A R B I N G E R
ZiuZq2.jpg

This hurts you

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
It's an unfair comparison. Sovereign was at the center of ME1, which its reveal being part of the most well built level in the game. Harbinger was at the background of ME2, and should have shined in ME3. But along ME3's major crimes you can count it butchering that Reaper. Imagine someone saying to you at the end of ME2 that Harbinger wouldn't have a single line in ME3.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Sovereign was ruthless and gave me huge cosmic horror vibes with his speech. Sovereign wins.

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
Sovereign's script is 10/10 while harbinger's is... 8/10 at best.

Voice over wise, Sovereign was also much better. Felt much more intimidating.

You bet Sovereign Shut up a strong MC like Shepard with great dialogue even right near the end. ^^^^

OP
OP
astro

astro

Oct 25, 2017
It's an unfair comparison. Sovereign was at the center of ME1, which its reveal being part of the most well built level in the game. Harbinger was at the background of ME2, and should have shined in ME3. But along ME3's major crimes you can count it butchering that Reaper. Imagine someone saying to you at the end of ME2 that Harbinger wouldn't have a single line in ME3.
It's not unfair because Harbinger is best!

Poll is glitched, PMing mods...

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sovereign is where Mass Effect wrote all the cheques it couldn't cash out, but at least he was menacing. At least he was cool on his own merits and sold that you weren't going to beat the Reapers by shooting them with lots of guns because this one Reaper not paying attention was killed by the entire military of the galaxy.

Harbinger shows up all "your existence is beneath my notice foolish human" and then you immediately punk him and he dies until he shows up ten minutes later with the exact same lines. When you blow up the Collector Base and he angrily screams "you have failed! We will find another way!" I'm not picturing this eldritch monster of ultimate power I have no hope against, I'm seeing a 13 year old on Counterstrike shitting his pants in rage that he lost.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Harbinger never lived up to the role Sovereign played initially in the first game. It more so acted as some mustache twirling villain pulling the strings in ME2 while being nonexistent in the third game.

Harbinger was definitely more of a fun meme however.

Niklel

Prophet of Regret
Aug 10, 2020
I voted for Harbinger, but I am biased. ME2 is a much better game than ME1, after all.

Oct 29, 2017
Love them both. It's a real head scratcher for me that they didn't have a "face of the Reapers" role in ME3 (either Harbinger again or something new) after it worked so well in 1 and 2.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Sovereign was written better and had the more menacing speech.

But in terms of standing and power, Harbinger is essentially the leader of the reapers.

Nephrahim

Jun 9, 2018
Sovereign and it's not even close. It's not really either of their fault though, the retconsfor the reapers motivations between one and three destroyed any potential for harbinger to be as cool. The only problem with sovereign is you realized by three that he was totally full of crap have very easily told Shepherd what the reapers mission was if he felt like it.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Sovereign will get most votes because it's the first Reaper we meet. But Harbinger does a lot more during the game than just literally being a ship for Saren, so it deserves my vote.

Chirotera

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I really hate how ME3 mostly sidelined Harbinger. He should have had a few conversations talking shit and dunking on you. And should have been a final bossfight similar to Saren before you go on to... that, sigh, ending.

Sanguine

Jun 10, 2018
Sovereign is what Harbinger should've been - I just never felt a threat from Harbinger like I did Sovereign.

I'm also annoyed that Sovereign was basically the harbinger of the Reapers while Harbinger was basically the sovereign the Reapers...

edo_kid

Oct 27, 2017
Sovereign and it's not even close.
Harbinger was a joke lol just look at what happen to him in ME3.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Sovereign is just nostalgia for me. The intro to the reapers in the weakest game of the series.

Harbinger is the one that made it personal though so I choose him. Also the memes are funny.

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sovereign to me always looked like an isolated enemy, while Harbinger definitely was part of a group.

The conversation with Sovereign also isn't one of my favorites. It's too... I don't know, cliché, maybe? The villain who knows things you can never comprehend!

Gol

Nov 4, 2017
Harbinger looked down on you enough to not bother speaking to you in ME3. Kinda in keeping with the reapers character.

Only shit talk you in an attempt to demoralise

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The reapers in ME1 were absolutely terrifying and sovereign made you feel insignificant. Harbinger represented the entire downfall of the storyline of the series and made the reapers seem pathetic and trite. so...gonna go with sovereign.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
Sovereign bars went crazy. Let someone tell me "you exist because we allow it. And you will end because we demand it." We scrapping right then and there.

Harbinger is funnier at least.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Sovereign to me always looked like an isolated enemy, while Harbinger definitely was part of a group.

The conversation with Sovereign also isn't one of my favorites. It's too... I don't know, cliché, maybe? The villain who knows things you can never comprehend!
It also never made sense to me that the ancient all knowing cosmic toaster would even bother speaking to you in the first place. Let alone explain their whole evil plan like some B grade monologuing comic book villain.

That whole scene was just.....off.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017

^^^^

Completely unbelievable. Yeah the smack talking Reaper present throughout all of ME2 just happens to be completely silent come ME3. 🤦

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I would have been happy if someone told me that. I don't think the reapers should have talked in the first place. Making Sovereign monologue to Shep in 1 like a B grade villain was a terrible choice in my opinion. That whole scene always made no sense to me.

CarlSagan94

Nov 3, 2018
Harbinger's narration was kind of cheesy but also really awesome in ME2, so him being mute in ME3 was so strange and kind of killed his importance. Sovereign introducing the reapers to us may be the most iconic scene in the trilogy.

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
Sovereign believes his own hype and can back it up. You meet him once and he goes all cosmic horror on you then hangs up. Good first impact, kind of fumbles the fight, but he's a final boss, he's allowed to do that and keep his menace.

Harbinger is just a creepy stalker dude. A rather sizable one, I'll admit, but his obsession with Shepard is just kind of sad. You know there's a Shepard shrine somewhere in Harbinger's hull. He's somewhere between jilted ex and guy who won't take no for an answer, except he's a dreadnought sized robot shrimp.

And then Harbinger doesn't even give a proper fight when Shepard offers one. Like, Shepard is right there, go on, put up your oversized health bar and let's go! But no, he just fires a shot, assumed it hit, and floats off. Come back here and confirm the kill, you jerk! Sovereign would!

Last edited:

Blue Ninja

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Sovereign had an amazing reveal and a fantastic battle sequence only marred by rhe weird Saren Reaperbot.

Harbinger had some cool voice lines in ME2, a haunting cutscene in Arrival, and then proceeded to do fuck-all in ME3. The fact that the face of the Reaper fleet ME2 built up doesn't get any voice lines in ME3 is just baffling.

Almagest

Oct 28, 2017
Spain
People rightfully love Sovereign for reasons already exposed in this thread, but Harbinger was a great villain throughout ME2 and the end reveal was super cool. He was done dirty in ME3 but he wins for me.

Cyberleafm

Banned
May 7, 2021
Sovereign was cosmic horror as hell, and set up the reapers as these incomprehensible god-like beings.

Harbinger sounded really cool and his catch phrase made a funny meme hehe